One Little Secret

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Jun 2019

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a Kindle ARC of One Little Secret.

I wasn't a fan of the author's previous book, The Widower's Wife, but I am interested in novels with a strong female protagonist.

But One Little Secret was disappointing, and not because there are triggers here including domestic violence and substance abuse.

The characters were all unlikable, surreal and unbelievable; all the men are hot and attractive, the same goes for the women, all leggy and rich and incredibly educated and accomplished.

The often used literary trope of adultering is used indiscriminately here. It got to the point where the reader wonders: who isn't cheating?

The detective, Gabby Watkins, wasn't very competent and quick to assumptions and make an arrest based on circumstantial evidence.

Also, I couldn't believe why any of these couples would agree to share a home for a WEEK when it's clear no one likes each other.

Character development was weak and there was nothing to establish why any of these people would agree to spend time in one another's company.

This is no police procedural and there are no twists to uncover or evidence to decipher so the mystery lacks urgency, the tone and pacing slow and doesn't bring the reader into the story.

Overall, a quick read but not for me.
This was a great "twisty-turny" thriller.  This story follows 6 people, 3 couples, who are all neighbors and go on vacation together. I loved all of the drama that ensued. In the beginning I was a little confused on who was married to whom, but once I figured that all out, I fell right into the suspense of the story. When the story starts off, someone has been murdered but you don't know who it is.  The victim is then revealed and the rest of this story is figuring out "WHO-DONE-IT". I enjoyed I  Personally loved how this one ended but don't wanna give away any spoilers. This would be a great quick summer read. Picking up this author again!
While this book was a page turner, it did not leave me with much of an impression. The characters were for the most part unsympathetic. I did like the way the author structured the story -- taking place the day before the murder, the day of, and the day after. I just didn't think the relationship and connections between the characters were ultimately believable. It seemed forced and contrived.  Also, not a fan of the detective. She came off kind of dumb and not much of a threat. There was very little tension for a thriller/mystery.

It was a pleasant way to pass the time but not a book I am going to be rereading any time soon.
One Little Secret by Cate Holahan is a fast-paced thriller that will have you stymied until the final page.  This is a cleverly constructed whodunit with enough twists and surprises to keep you second guessing everything you think you know.

Three couples, who are neighbours, decide to pool their resources to book a beachside holiday rental in the Hamptons.  One of them will not survive.  Lies, betrayals, and infidelities emerge as the five remaining houseguests reveal the secrets buried within their own marriages, but who among them has murder on their minds?

Detective Gabby Watkins is called to investigate when a body is found on the beach, while simultaneously working to follow up on an au pair's accusation that she has been drugged and sexually assaulted at a party.  Could the two cases be connected?  And will the events hit closer to home for Detective Watkins than she could possibly imagine?

This is a compelling read that was brilliantly executed, and I was fully engaged with the characters throughout.  I look forward to reading more from this author.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for this ARC.
I really liked this book. It was fast-paced enough to keep me interested and had enough plot twists to keep me wondering. While I did figure out whodunnit before the end, the author did a great job keeping you wondering if you’re right.
I’ll definitely read more by this author.
I really enjoyed this book! I loved the characters and plot twists. So good! The plot is three couples rent a house together in the Hampton's to get away from everything. However, someone is murdered. Sounds like a terrible vacation to me. I highly recommend this book and enjoyed reading it. 4 out of 5 stars. Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an arc!
I really enjoyed reading this book it was wholly believable and I honestly had no clue to the ending highly recommend reading it
This book grabs you from the first page and leaves you breathless at the end!  A must read for those fans of Thrillers. I would read anything this Author wrote. Do yourself a favor and read this unputdownable story!
Kept you guessing until the end.  Intertwining characters and their stories makes this a fascinating read.
I completely fell in love with this plot, as while it was slower to begin with, the pace really picked up after the first few chapters and it was so intriguing. The secrets, lies and the way the couples stories intertwine was delicious and it kept me guessing until almost the end!

Three couples have a getaway at a beach house, while their children are away at a week long holiday camp. The plot starts with the group arriving at the beach house and the underlying tensions but jumps quickly to the woman found dead on the beach. From there it worked backwards as to what happened leading up to the death and the days after. Detective Sergeant Gabby Watkins investigates the murder and her own story becomes somewhat intertwined with the investigation. The best parts of this story were the characters and who was keeping secrets from whom and what they may be up to. There was also a legal theme running through this in part, which I also enjoyed. I must admit, it did take time to remember each of the characters and their roles in the novel initially, but once I had that sorted it was thoroughly enjoyable.

'Everyone has secrets. Some have secrets worth dying for. But who has secrets worth killing for?'

A big thank you to NetGalley, Cate Holahan and Crooked Lane Books for this advance reader, in return for my honest review.

This review will appear on my blog in June 2019, prior to the publication date.
See the above synopsis....This novel kept my attention although none of the characters really won me over.  I didn't particularly care much for any of them.  As their stories were revealed I couldn't help but think how all of them thought it would be a good idea to go on a week's vacation together staying in the same house!  Surely, someone should have seen a problem with this. This lapse in judgment continues when these people don't make it past the first night before all  hell breaks loose.
I barely agree with the comparisons made to an Agatha Christie mystery but that's a stretch.  This was more of a nod to Big Little Lies and I think most who enjoyed that would enjoy this.  Characterization and atmosphere not as compelling to the story, however. I read this fairly quickly and it certainly made for a good almost-summer-read-at-the-lake novel.  I recommend it but it won't change your life.  Thank you to Netgalley/Crooked Lane Books for the advanced copy.
"One Little Secret" by Cate Holahan doesn't hold one secret, but an abundance of them.  I felt that this was indeed a good psychological thriller, but I thought it was slow moving and the characters were somewhat over the top and unrelatable.  **Received an advanced reader copy through Net Galley and the publisher for my honest review**
I loved this for many reasons. One I can see being in a town and not having alot of friends. I would believe that a little get together among your neighbors could lead to secrets being told and small tensions as the night gets long. I loved the almost immediate build up to the death of one neighbor.

Two lets talk about our newly promoted Detective. She is quick witted. Shows the real insecurities a newly appointed detective would have and rebounds quickly as she dives into the three couples involved.

Three the couples themselves are dealing with real problems that many couples face in marriage from lying, financial trouble, marital affairs, and general issues of marriage. Most people in a committed relationship at some point has dealt with one or all of the issues these couples are dealing with and I commend that. All the characters are well developed. All the characters are real in their story line.

I found that this story was a solid read that I thoroughly enjoyed beginning to end.
I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Thanks NetGalley!

This author's previous book is amazing, so i had high expectations coming into this.
The story goes back and forth in time which always keeps me intrigued.

i wasn't disappointed with the book, i'd recommend it to others.
A quick read and while it wasn’t the most original concept, it kept me engaged throughout. I enjoyed this mystery/thriller!
One Little Secret
by Cate Holahan
Crooked Lane Books

This book was a surprise for me, at first glance I thought it would be a fun book based more about the beach getaway then on the thriller aspect. Well I was pleasantly surprised. This is a great whodunit that will will keep you turning the pages late into the night. The caracters were very well developed. If you love a great thrilling page turner this is a wonderful read. Run away to the beach house with Susan her husband, and there new neighbors ..... One of them end up dead on the beach, Who is a killer?
In comes detective Gabby Watkins, and from there you are hooked on this great page turner. Also this book was One of Kirku's Best Books of 2017 .... This is the first book I have read by this author yet I am sure it will not be the last. A Great Read

Thank You to Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for there ARC for my honest opinion.
BE/ ladyedan
Three couples that live in the same neighborhood decide to rent a vacation home together while their children are away at camp.  To anyone on the outside, the couples appear to have it all, beautiful homes, successful careers, children and seemingly perfect marriages.  As they spend time together and the alcohol flows, many secrets and issues are exposed.  Soon, it's apparent that no marriage is perfect and many shocking and unbelievable things happen behind closed doors.  A secret exposed leads to a fatal conclusion for one of the neighbors.    I enjoyed this book, it had twists and turns I wasn't expecting.  As the story unfolds and the true relationship of each couple is revealed, many shocking things are exposed and uncovered.  This was an engrossing read and as the story unfolded it was hard to put down.  It's easy to understand the tendency to think that everyone else has so much more than what you have,  but in the end, you realize that you have it all.  Thank-you to Netgalley, Crooked Lane Books and Cate Holahan for an ARC in exchange for a honest review.
While I enjoyed this book, I wouldn't necessarily consider it to be "unique". I've read lots of stories with the same premise - in particular, it reminded me of Jessica Strawser's "Not That I Could Tell", which I enjoyed very much, but felt that this kind of had a similar concept and was "a repeat". Of course, if I'd read this novel first, would I feel that way? I'm not sure. But I definitely felt as though this wasn't an original concept. The writing was good, however, and I can appreciate that!
Three couples rent a beach house in the Hamptons for a few days while their kids are at camp. The couples are hoping for a relaxing time to get away from their stressful jobs (mostly lawyering, doctoring and parenting) and everyday lives and to get to know each other better. Then someone is murdered. Let me just say, that as much as I would love a few days in a beautiful beach house with friends, I wouldn't choose any of these couples to hang out with. Explosive tempers, lies on top of secrets, lots of booze and some pills to boot might sound like fun for some, but what might not work out in real life turns into a slightly better than adequate little murder tale.

This was a fast read, and not a really deep one. I did wonder throughout whodunit, although I had a strong suspicion. Not a complicated novel, but one that touches on abuse, rape and women's roles at home and the workplace. The plot was just slightly beyond believable in its entirety, but reading it was a decent way to escape for a few hours.

Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Land Books for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
3 stars rounded up to 3.5
Part mystery part thriller, This book follows three couples who go on holiday together. After an explosive first night, one of them is found dead on the beach. But who committed the murder? And why?

An interesting book with a satisfying ending. The writing was good although the story fell a little bit during the middle. All in all it was good. I’d recommend this to fans of Liane Moriarty.

I received an ARC of this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed in this are my own.