Cover Image: One Little Secret

One Little Secret

Interesting characters & fast paced.  I really enjoyed this book would highly recommend it to anyone who likes a good thriller.
The book was short yet it was straight to the point. Shifing in POV and alternating time line was very common on crime-thrillers so it wasn't that much of a shocker.
But characterwise, the book won me over. I liked how all the POV of the story is told in all the women's perspective(which I hadn't realized until I finished reading the book and started doing this review🤔)
All the wives has their own reasons and issues yet to be addressed with their spouses to protect their own families. But also everyone has a motive to be the perpetraror. Also not to be missed is our detective who is also a woman 👩🏻 and a mother. (I just want to admire all the women voices being heard in this story😊)
I also like the bit of the plot twist in the end, because it somehow suggested that the true perpertrator wasn't trully revealed.
On the whole, the book is very entertaining and engaging, recommended for those who'll love a neighborhood drama of a murder.
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced reading copy in exchange for an honest review.

This was the first time I read a book by this author. It was well written and I got into it pretty quickly. The only thing I struggled with at times was who each couple was married to but this didn’t put me off. It’s a great story with a lot of twisty mystery. You don’t realise how much their lives are intertwined and unravels throughout the book. I could feel the tension escalating between the three couples making the murder believable.  I liked the way the story jumped seamlessly between the day of the murder and the day after.
One Little Secret
by Cate Holahan
Everyone has a secret. For some, it's worth dying to protect. For others, it's worth killing.

The glass beach house was supposed to be the getaway that Susan needed. Eager to help her transplanted family set down roots in their new town - and desperate for some kid-free conversation - she invites her new neighbors to join in on a week-long sublet with her and her workaholic husband.

Over the course of the first evening, liquor loosens inhibitions and lips. The three couples begin picking up on the others' marital tensions and work frustrations, as well as revealing their own. But someone says too much. And the next morning one of the women is discovered dead on the private beach.

Town detective Gabby Watkins must figure out who permanently silenced the deceased. As she investigates, she learns that everyone in the glass house was hiding something that could tie them to the murder and that the biggest secrets of all are often in plain sight for anyone willing to look.

A taut, locked room mystery with an unforgettable cast of characters, One Little Secret promises to keep readers eyes glued to the pages and debating the blinders that we all put on in the service of politeness.

Thanks too NetGalley for an advance copy for my honest review.
Hmm, Glass House. Everyone has ONE little secret. What a tension building book. The story works you into a total need to know. I enjoyed the book and was watching the pages, not wanting to finish but knowing secrets and glass houses explode.
Wow, I was not expecting this book to be so good! What a great surprise! After reading so many lacklustre books lately, I was becoming less enthused every time I began a new book. Boy was I pulled in to great thriller. You know the novel’s good when you’re sad as it nears the end. This was so engaging and kept me guessing right up until the last page. Just read it. You won’t be disappointed.
3.5/5

This was an interesting one. Although I found the case to be intriguing, it wasn't perfect. At first, I was a bit confused with the set up of the story since I didn't expect that many perspectives at different points in time, which made it a bit confusing at first. Also, the introduction of the characters was a bit much as I didn't know who was who until a few chapters into the story, but luckily it was eventually cleared up once the couples made it to their vacation spot.

The case itself was pretty solid, as you know drama is about to unfold amongst the three couples the more there is revealed about them. The way all of their lives were entwined with one another was pretty well constructed, and you can sense the tension with certain characters that will lead to speculation and you into wanting to know more about it. I had an idea on who the murderer was, but it was still an entertaining journey to the answer. Out of the three couples, the most interesting character to me was probably Jenny. She was such a complex character underneath her pretty appearance. It was interesting to see more of her story unfold throughout the story.

Gabby, the detective on the case, added a pretty good perspective to the case. Even though this was her first murder case, I thought she handled it pretty well, especially since she is also juggling the stress of her daughter and the subtle scrutiny that she senses from her colleagues. It was pretty interesting that the author had incorporated an earlier case that Gabby was working on into the main case of the story, as it not only added a bit to the new case, but it was also able to add character Gabby. Instead of seeing her as a newbie at her new Seargent title, you can see her also as a mother.

Overall, this was a pretty good mystery/thriller. Although it got a bit messy when secrets began to unravel and drama escalated, it was entertaining to see things begin to fall into place.
Thank you Netgalley for the advanced copy!

This book will keep you guessing until the very end!  The novel follows three neighborhood couples who decide to rent a beach house for a week while their children are away together at summer camp. You think you are going to follow the neighborhood gossip in a happy go lucky way; however, as the first night progresses, more and more secrets emerge.  I like that the story followed the three wives perspectives so you got to learn a little history about each couple and how they lives are more intertwined than you would have expected.

This book has a lot of twists and turns and just when you think you have it figured out, a new detail emerges and changes your whole idea.

This was a quick and easy read!
One Little Secret is a good murder mystery with interesting characters and dynamics. While I figured out the ending before I got to that point in the story, it still kept my attention from the first page on. I look forward to more books by Cate in the future.
I tore through One Little Secret in less than a day. The POV characters were at turns compelling and frustrating (Susan and Jenny, at least, Gabby was pretty fantastic across the board), and the book wove a nice, twisty mystery. I enjoyed the "day of"/"day after" structure, as well as the flashes forward at the end.

Reading it wasn't so much about finding out "who done it," though I certainly wanted to know, but following the characters deeper into the story. Holahan has a talent for weaving complex women who are easy to empathize with. The men were also well drawn even without their POVs, though since this is a book about women (and rape culture/motherhood/internalized misogyny), the men's motives were a bit more opaque. ie: it's not about them, and that's ok.

If I have a quibble/can point to something that may polarize readers, it is Gabby's POV/parts of her plot thread. I didn't mind it, though as a writer I did "see the seams' of the author's intention in terms of story choice made there, and I wonder if it will frustrate some readers. I see the point of the plot thread with Gabby and Mariel, but really it's a non-sequiter to the actual mystery/thriller plot of the book--the book definitely has three protagonists and Gabby's side-story ties least well to the other two. The book almost felt like a "pilot" for a series featuring Gabby, and I'd be totally into that!

Overall a great read. Recommend.
One Little Secret by Cate Holahan is a thriller about three couples from the same neighborhood renting out a beach house in the Hamptons for a much needed vacation while their kids are away at summer camp. However, the vacation is off to a bad start when secrets between the couples start coming out the first night. One of them turns up dead the next morning. Detective Gabby is determined to find out who did it.

I really enjoyed the book. It was fast-paced, an easy read, and straight forward. The story is narrated in two different time periods: the day of, and the day after. Basically, what happened the day they arrived at the beach house, and the day after when the body is found. Although, I did find it unrealistic since it meant the detective was able to solve the case within a day's time. The story is also told from three different perspectives: Gabby, Jenny, and Susan. They narrate and guide you through the events of the day and how the night unfolds. I like the use of the narration because the story slowly unfolds and I find myself trying to figure out who did it. Although, the ending wasn't too shocking and the prime suspect was a bit predictable. Overall, this was an enjoyable read and I definitely recommend.

Thank you to Netgalley, Cate Holahan, and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
I received an advanced copy Through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

This was the first time I've read anything by this author. The book was written well and the charterers were likable.  The story goes between the day of the murder and after. The ending was done in a way that made it believable and left me shocked. Love every twist and turn. Highly recommend this book
To me it was a solid read! A mistery until the end, and some interesting characters along the way. At some times a bit lengthy for my liking but the writing was good and made me "see" the characters and location. Like always with mystery books a review is a balance act because I don't want to give away anything and kill the fun.

Thanks a lot to the publisher and Netgalley for providing a copy!
Three married couples, who are neighbors with children around the same ages, go away on vacation together to the Hamptons while their children are at sleepaway camps.  The story begins here and anything more would be spoilers as it plays out.  These are relatable characters, with interesting backstories and very complicated relationships. This book is well written and compelling, and keeps you guessing all the way through.
This is the first book I’ve read from this author, but it won’t be my last. I definitely recommend this book and look for more from this author.
Wow! So many twists and turns! A cast of unlikeable characters, each with a secret. Semi-friendly neighbors have planned a kids-free week at a beach rental. After an evening of dining, drinking and arguing, one of the wives turns up dead on the beach. Who’s got a motive? Or rather, who doesn’t have a motive.
First off the cover is fantastic... does not get any better than that! And the inside of this novel is one of a kind. Y'all need to get this one and read immediately. A winner in my eyes!
So many recent books have been written about spousal abuse, this is another, but with a twist...it is about abuse in the upper echelons of society.  Three couples decide to spend a week vacationing in the Hamptons, where all the tensions and lies come to the surface and suddenly there is a body on the beach apparently drowned after being choked.

The detective in charge is interesting as well, Gabby, is an atypical officer on the Hamptons police force.  We watch her examine the remaining 5 house members to see who had a motive, as it turns out there are lots of motives and lots of ugliness between the 6 people.  She becomes involved in the murders and seeks the truth long after the crime has been solved.

It is a good opportunity to see why women remain in abusive marriages and to understand it is not simply a product of poverty.  Holahan manages to keep a very high interest level and we are met by twists and turns throughout the narrative.

I am not usually a big fan of domestic mysteries, but I really enjoyed this one and look forward to discussing this in book clubs and with students.  Spousal abuse is as old as time, but shining a light on it and the many levels it affects made for a fascinating read.
Three couples decide to go on vacation together when their kids are off at camp. Drama ensues as their time goes on, the drinking starts, and the energy turns from excitement, to awkwardness, to tension as their tangled lives come apart in front of us.

One of them is murdered, and Gabby, a detective, finds herself entangled too as she tries to get to the bottom of it all. She's got her work cut out for her. None of the suspects are totally innocent.

One Little Secret is a fun, intriguing little read. Told in third person from the perspectives of Gabby, Jenny and Susan. Three wives, three mothers with three different lives.

The way the neighboring couples are all wrapped up in drama and each other's drama at first is fun. An eaves drop into their personal lives. Flirting, awkward, tension. Dig a little deeper beyond the successful women with their polite facade's and their lives become complicated messes, a little deeper and it gets plain dark.

That intertwining of people and events is what makes the book so interesting. I really loved the characters and all the interactions and business between them.
The characters and themes are relatable and real enough to be believable, driving the tension up, and ultimately making the resulting murder believable too. You could see how, given the right set of circumstances, a person could snap, how quickly it could escalate and turn into something else altogether.

While I did know from close to the beginning who the murderer was, it was still an entertaining, winding journey to the end. I was able to feel enough for the characters that I could see myself somewhat justifying some of their actions. Even hoping things would turn out for the better for some couples. And there was enough mystery and entanglement for me to second guess myself. The real mystery, I felt, was discovering how exactly it all fell into place and what the driving final motivations truly were.

I have received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

- 3/5 A quick, fun, little mystery that tugs at the outward facade of couples, weaving everyone into a tangled net that ultimately pushes someone to murder.
I figured out who was behind it fairly quickly so I felt there wasn't much mystery or element of surprise here. I found none of the characters likable and therefore hard to connect with.
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was.  It sounds kind of like it will be your typical "couples go away and secrets come out" type of story, but it's so much more.  There's not only the viewpoints of the 3 couples that are on the vacation together, but also of the detective in charge of the murder case.  And she has her own little side case occurring that becomes entwined with the vacationers' adventures in a clever way.

The characters are well-developed and realistic even with all of the drama.  And there sure is a lot of drama.  It's a fun read even with  the more serious undertones.  Some of the plot points are a little well-worn but it doesn't make it any less of a page-turner because there are enough little twists to keep your interest.  And all of the secrets tend to come together (and come out) in a way that makes you go 'Oh so that's why...".

I love discovering new authors and I can't wait to read more of Cate Holahan's work.
I couldn't really get on with this book and had no interest in the characters, I found it hard to read and was disappointed.

Based on this I wouldn't recommend this book but this is purely my opinion as I am sure I will be in the minority.

Thank you to Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for giving me the opportunity to read this book.