Cover Image: One Little Secret

One Little Secret

4.5 out of 5 stars

I want to thank Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for allowing me to read an  advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is told in a span of three days in third person. We cover day before, day of, and day after a murder Three couples gather at Glass Beach. As tensions among the friends mount you are not really surprised when someone is found dead. They do let us know it was one of the wives but we do not know which one it is at first. I have to say that this book really read like a modern day Agatha Christie.
One Little Secret by Cate Holahan is a great murder suspense novel that will keep you wanting more.

Description:  Everyone has a secret. For some, it’s worth dying to protect. For others, it’s worth killing.
The glass beach house was supposed to be the getaway that Susan needed. Eager to help her transplanted family set down roots in their new town—and desperate for some kid-free conversation—she invites her new neighbors to join in on a week-long sublet with her and her workaholic husband. Over the course of the first evening, liquor loosens inhibitions and lips. The three couples begin picking up on the others' marital tensions and work frustrations, as well as revealing their own. But someone says too much. And the next morning one of the women is discovered dead on the private beach. Town detective Gabby Watkins must figure out who permanently silenced the deceased. As she investigates, she learns that everyone in the glass house was hiding something that could tie them to the murder, and that the biggest secrets of all are often in plain sight for anyone willing to look. A taut, locked room mystery with an unforgettable cast of characters, One Little Secret promises to keep readers' eyes glued to the pages and debating the blinders that we all put on in the service of politeness.

Susan decides to invite a few of the new neighbors to the beach house for a week long getaway. Everything starts off well, but by the next day of being at the beach house one of the women is found dead. A night of drinking and lose lips has led to someone taking matters into their own hands.

To find out who killed Rachel you need to read the novel, but let me tell you it is well worth it.

I was provided this book free of charge in exchange for my honest opinion and I definitely give this book a 5 Star
Over the summer I fell into a reading slump. I was behind in everything - reading, reviewing, commenting - and I truly felt as though I needed to throw in the towel as a blogger and reviewer. And then I read One Little Secret. It completely turned everything around for me! I read the entire book within hours and immediately went on a search for all of Cate Holahan's books. I downloaded them and read them all as well. I was a fan! I was also out of my slump. Do I need to say more!?

Fine. One Little Secret is a marvelous "locked-room mystery." Susan wanted nothing more than a peaceful get-away at the beach. She invited a few other couples to join her and her husband at a beach house rental. Susan thought it would be a dream vacation for them, a time of fun and games and a way to reconnect with one another. She thought wrong - deadly wrong. A night of drinking leads to diminished inhibitions, secrets are revealed and the next morning one of them is found dead on the beach. Who wanted this person dead and why, more importantly how?

One Little Secret is well written, suspenseful to the end and is one of the best "locked room" mysteries I've read in a while. It very easily could have slipped into campy but the craftily worded plot never allows it to go there. While many have called this a "summer beach read" because it set at a holiday house at the beach, this is a mystery that will be a good read any time of the year. When you're finished with this one, go find Holahan's other books. You will enjoy them as well!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️— One Little Secret by Cate Holahand (out now)
Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for a free digital arc.
Three neighbor couples. One vacation home. One dead body. Who’s dead? Who’s telling the truth? Who is the murderer?
What I Loved: I loved Lies She Told by Holahand and this one lived up to my expectations. Told in alternating timelines that are within 24-48 hours of the vacation arrival, we are thrown into the lives of these couples. We know they aren’t good people— mostly— and most of them have something to hide. The pace was perfect never having a really down moment.
What I Didn’t: I understood the tie in, but I didn’t love the tie in between the detective following up the party crime to the actual crime. I feel like the link the detective made was too far fetched and honestly kind of unnecessary. Leaving it how it was with a dif epilogue would have been a stronger ending in my opinion.
What happens behind closed doors at a house with your new neighbors on the beach does not always go as planned.   Susan and her family are new to town and decide once their kids are off to camp, that they will invite 2 other couples from their neighborhood to a cozy beach house to get to know each other and unwind.   Three couples and an evening of drinking and overflowing secrets which are divulged leads to one of the wives being found murdered on the beach the next morning.   Gabby,  the detective, arrives to investigate and has a connection to one of the couples.

One Little Secret is written from different points of view and different time periods.  It is told the day before the incident, the day of and the day after the incident.    Some of the couples past is also discussed to help you understand and fill in the missing pieces.  There are so many unlikable characters in this book but it makes it a total mystery to figure out who the villain might be.  Everyone has a secret that is yet to be revealed.  There is a slow build of the characters and helps to establish the connection and links between the characters and leads to an intense and surprising ending.

I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review.
What do you get when you have three yuppie couples, an expensive vacation house on a private beach and one secret they’ll do anything to keep? You get a rather predictable and even outlandish mystery called One Little Secret by Cate Holahan.

When the children are away, the adults play. After three couples’ children go off to summer camp, the parents all decide to take a trip to the Hamptons where they rent a house on the beach. Even thought they’re all neighbours, they really don’t know each other. On the first night, drama ensues — from arguing, secrets and then even murder.

The following morning, police are called to the beach where a body has been found, one of our vacationing neighbours. Detective Gabby Watkins is called to the scene who will have to unravel the private lives of a doctor, lawyer, an abusive husband, a workaholic and at least one person who’s having an affair. What she finds is that each of the vacationing adults has a secret — one someone might kill to keep quiet.

I guess you can describe this book as less of a thriller and more of a police procedural with a wee bit of a domestic drama thrown in. The story is told from multiple points of view and across three days — the day before, day of and day after the murder.

All the characters were very unlikeable and beyond irritating. I had the hardest time connecting with them, which deterred me from wanting to finish this book. But I cannot, not finish a book. So let’s add another couple of negatives to this pile — the pace is unbelievably slow and it is so wordy.

While this book definitely captured my attention, I mean, who doesn’t love a good whodunnit, I feel like I won’t remember this book. Even as the skeletons started tumbling out, and you realise these people are going to do anything to protect themselves, I knew exactly who did it relatively early on. Predictable and outlandish are the two words that stay with me when it comes to One Little Secret by Cate Holahan. I’d pass on this one if I were you!
Three couples go on vacation together while their children are away at camp. They won't make it through the first night before one of them is murdered. I tore through this book pretty quick. This was a fun, addictive read where everyone is a suspect with their own motive for wanting this neighbor dead. Highly recommend.
Three couples, all neighbours, go on holiday in the Hampton's in order to get to know each other a bit better as one couple are new to the area. One wife ends up murdered on the very first evening. Who out of the remaining five did it?
We meet the six and the book flashes between "Day Of" and "Day After". We very quickly discover that each person has hidden secrets they don't want any of the others to discover. That first evening, fueled by wine, some of these secrets pop out with devastating effects.
Somehow DS Gabby Watkins must unravel these secretive threads to uncover both the murderer and the motive.  Along with investigating the murder, she must also get to the bottom of an alleged date-rape at a party with under-age girls where one of the six neighbours may have been at too.
When the investigation takes a turn closer to home than Gabby ever thought things get even more intriguing.
A fast, gripping read with many twists, turns and surprises.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity of reading this book.
This one was an okay read. I think, in my mind, I was expecting a mystery and more suspense. This turned out to be much more about abuse and the ways that women are manipulated, over powered and hurt. It was tough a times and not at all what I had expected the story to be. The MC's job as the only female that is shoved on to every case where some woman is weeping or whining or crying was disappointed and frustrating.

I also thought the beginning was jarring. I was immediately thrown into the families at a camp drop off where they are just name dropping all the kids, husbands and wives. I had no idea who was who and that confusing beginning (plus keeping up with the officers life and their interactions) was overwhelming and definitely kept me from liking the story as much as I could since it took me so long to sort who was who and how they were all tied together. I wish I'd liked this one more.
steves_reads
4.5/5 - We had been eagerly anticipating #onelittlesecret by one of our favourite authors @cateholahan and it did not disappoint! Twisty psychological thriller that kept us guessing right until the end (and increased our kilometres on our walks because we wanted to keep listening!) Long walks and staying up late reading = one tired dog! 😴 🐕 #books #readingwithmyears #reading #audible #audiblebooks #dogs #dogsreading #dogsreadingbooks #psychologicalthriller #mystery #stayeduplatereading #netgalley
While I feel like I have been on a hot streak with books lately, this one missed the mark for me. I couldn't find any common ground with the narrators and struggled to stay engaged.
Lovely feel good read. It was well written and flowed well. I enjoyed it very much. The plot was good and interesting. Hard to put down
A mystery thriller mixed with domestic drams, One Little Secret make up for an interesting read. 3 couples on a holiday hoping to unwind and bond, only, one of them ended up as a murder victim and apparently one of them is the killer. Told in multiple POVs and different timelines, we get to know the characters before and after the murder. The characters can be annoying and unlikeable, and not one of them relatable. And as the story progress, alibis were thrown left and right, secrets were revealed and in turn, motives were established. As each character was crossed off as the suspect, it didn't really come as a surprise when the killer was revealed. Still, the story kept me engaged until the end.
I have decided that I am not going to finish this book. There isn't one redeeming character. I usually enjoy unlikable characters but they have to be interesting. Wealthy, vapid people are not interesting they are boring which is why this book became such a chore to read.
A locked room mystery with an unforgettable cast of characters.. Couldn't put this book down and it kept me guessing until the very end.
After a summer of reading fantasies this book was a much needed adult fiction book and I really enjoyed it.

Three couples rent a private beach house together but things quickly take a turn for the worst when one of the wives is found dead on the beach.

I flew through this book. The mystery and intrigue was captivating. I love books where I'm constantly guessing to figure out what happened and this is one of those books.

There is such a layer of secrets and lies amongst the three couples and its interesting to see what people try to hide from everyone in their life.

This book kept me pulled in. It bounced around a bit which is why I am rating it 4 stars instead of 5 but overall I really liked it.
One Little Secret by Cate Holahan is a mystery that literally takes place in a glass house where there are plenty of stones being thrown. Three couples leave the city to spend a child-free week together at a beach house. The six friends, while relaxing and over-enjoying drinks, begin to reveal secrets which include adultery, spousal abuse, lawsuits, etc. By the next morning, one of them is found dead on the beach and the remaining five are pointing fingers at each other. Gabby Watkins is the detective assigned to the case. She soon finds that any of them had a reason to commit this murder. One by one are interviewed and later released. Who is the killer? And why was the victim murdered? I recommend this novel to readers who like to be kept guessing until the end. Nothing is as it seems. This is my first Cate Holahan mystery but I look forward to reading all of her books. Thank you to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Three neighborhood couples rent an East Hampton beach house in the summer for what they hope will be a vacation filled with relaxation and laughs.  Instead, one of them ends up dead and the prime suspects are each other.  During the murder investigation secrets are exposed and relationships are ruined.

This book has been on my TBR shelf for awhile and I'm glad I picked it to read next.  I needed a quick read and it was exactly that.  The characters were a little confusing to differentiate in the beginning but I eventually I was able to sort them out.  There was one other story line to follow which was about an au pair that was slightly related to the murder at the beach house, but I could have done without that part of the book.  I think it was used to give the Detective more depth and tie up some loose ends towards the close of her investigation.  This was the first book I've read by Holahan and I would definitely recommend it and will read more by her!
I first read Cate Holahan from my BOTM selection, Lies She Told, almost two years ago which I enjoyed just as much as this novel. The author loves to dabble in multiple view points and shifting time lines, which worked fairly well for this story in my opinion. I really loved how the "little secrets" were gradually revealed throughout the novel while also unraveling each person's backstory and character. I guessed the ending about 85% of the way through this, which is fairly late in the book, so I didn't feel like this was a "typical, predictable" thriller. I really loved the author's subtle message of women standing up for each other and being kind to one another. You really never know what will occur or not occur based on just a little support or kindness shown towards another human being.
I thank you for the opportunity to read and review this book. This author was new to me and I was not let down. It was a great story and very well written. The characters were easy to relate to and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend this to everyone!!