One Little Secret

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Jun 2019

Thank you so much to Crookedlane Books and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book for my honest review.

I'm a huge fan of Cate Holahan after reading Lies She Told so I was very excited when I saw her new book. It had plenty of twists, turns, and secrets.

Susan sets up a vacation for her neighbors and her over-worked husband so that they can all get to know each other better and have some kids-free conversation. After lots of liquor is consumed, the three couples start to pick up on tension in each other's marriages and when they wake up the next morning, a woman is found dead on the beach. As everyone starts looking at each differently, secrets and lies come out and they realize every couple is hiding something.

The beginning of this book instantly drew me in and I could not stop reading, I read this entire book in less than 24 hours and I have no regrets. The plot was amazing and there was never a dull moment when I considered putting this down. The animosity between some of the characters really added to the intrigue and made the ending of this book so much more interesting because trust me, you're not ready for this ending. I felt like I was on a tilt-a-whirl trying to figure out whom the murderer was and looking at all of the character's motives.

An excellent, excellent book that you will not regret reading.
Three couples rent a vacation residence for the week their children are attending camp. Although the couples are all neighbors, they really don't know each other very well.

Throw in an abundance of alcohol into the mix and the differences among them are glaring. There's a doctor, a lawyer, a housewife, an abusive husband, a workaholic, and at least one person who's having an affair.

The next morning, a dead body is seen on the private beach. It will be Detective Gabby Watkins who will have to comb through everyone's private lives to find the killer. What she finds is that each and every one of the people sharing the house have a secret ... one someone might kill to keep quiet.

CON: The one and only thing I found unsatisfactory is an instance where the abusive husband, in a fit of anger, calls his wife by another woman's name. There is no character in the book that has this name. I would have liked to see some kind of explanation .. but nothing more was forthcoming.

Otherwise, this is a well written, intense, psychological thriller. There's a cast of six who may or not be what they want the others to see. Many secrets are to be discovered. This was a riveting read .... not soon to be forgotten.

Many thanks to the author / Crooked Lane Books / Netgalley for this intriguing novel. Opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
WOW what a read! This was a fast paced thriller that I read in one sitting as I couldn’t get enough!

What could be better than spending a week long getaway at the beach with friends while the kids are away at summer camp. Sounds perfect doesn’t it!

This is what Susan thought when she and her husband Nadal invite their new neighbours Ben & Rachel and Jenny & Louis to share a rental in the Hamptons with them for some much needed rest and sun away from their busy lives back home.

But on the very first night trouble looms as the alcohol flows and guards are let down as each couple’s hidden secrets rise to the surface.

Then one of the women is found dead the next day on the beach! Was this an accident or is one of them responsible?

For detective Gabby Watkins it doesn’t take long until she declares this a murder and each couple is taken in for questioning where their secrets are laid bare and issues of domestic violence, infidelity and issues with the law are all revealed and are all entwined in each of the couples lives and that of the deceased.

But what was that one little secret that lead one of them to commit murder?

Told in the perspective of each character we are taken back to the past and the present as we are given more details into each of the couples lives and of the events that lead to one of their murders.
Thinking I was smart and figuring out who the culprit was early on Cate threw me off track! I thought I outsmarted her again with another guess of who it was but nope I was mistaken again! I love that in a book!

The characters were relatable and very well written. A great story full of twists and turns and that ending was just fantastic!!!!

This is the first book I have read of Cate’s and it definitely will not be my last!

Thank-you to Netgalley, Crooked Lane Books and Cate Holahan for allowing me to read an advanced copy of One Little Secret in exchange for an honest review.

All opinions are my own and are not biased in anyway.
An engaging and fluid writing style from an author that I had not previously read. Very quick to consume and enjoyable.

3 sets of neighbors have rented a home together at the beach. But then the unexpected, a murder.

I found the start a bit confusing. The introduction of six characters happens very quickly and it was hard to keep up. Suddenly there is a murder and we then go back to secrets being spilled under the influence.
I found the beginning to be interesting, but after it shifted gears, I lost interest because I just didn't like the characters. Also, I found myself becoming bored with the back and forth chapters between the Gabby's POV and Susan and the neighbours. If it had just been Gabby's I might've been more interested, but even then my interest in her started waning. I didn't hate the book, but it just ended up being flat and unremarkable.
Three couples split the cost of a vacation home at the beach. But not all of them emerge as couples. I loved how the characters in this book constantly developed as the connected stories between them unfolded.  By the end of the book, you're left wondering why these couples ever even considered sharing a vacation home - knowing that in such close proximity, at least some of their secrets had to come out.  And come out they did, with twists at every turn. I will definitely be looking for other titles from this author!
You know those domestic thrillers where it’s like “I’ve read one, I’ve read ‘em all?” - that was One Little Secret to a T for me. Cheating spouses, suspicious spouses, horrible neighbors, fun weekend away turns deadly... this one just felt like a story I’d read too many times before with nothing really unique to set it apart from the others. It’s a quick read and fast paced at that, which does work in its favor, unfortunately, just wasn’t a win for me.

Thank you to Crooked Lane for an advanced copy. All opinions are my own.
This was simply fantastic, a twisted pretzel of a story. 3 couples went on a vacation to the Hamptons, and one of them died. The cops were called, Detective Gabby investigated.

My first book by Cate Holahan, I could just read the the entire story totally stunned by the secrets which were unfolding in front of me like a domestic noir movie. I loved the way Ms. Holahan has described the couples. The love between them was just a word to be said aloud at the right time. Every single one of them had a wickedness in them. I couldn't even have imagined how their lives had connected and intermingled over the months.

There were pages in this book which astounded me. All of the characters were educated and rich. Wolf in sheep's clothing was all that came to me while reading this. Some parts of physical abuse were tough to read, but the author has melded it well in the story adding little hints to make me doubt everyone. And honestly I couldn't even guess the killer or the reasons for it. Detective Gabby was not my most favorite person in the book, could have been shown more intelligent.

The dark underbelly of the human psyche shown by the author along with the fast pace of the book made this my midnight read. 12 - 2 am. A book I didn't expect to love so much!!
Part thriller and part mystery, this is a story of three couples who rent a beach house. As the story unfolds, you begin to learn about how entwined their lives and relationships are. The story goes back and forth between their vacation and an unexplainable murder and a house party that is elsewhere on the beach.  I felt it was interesting enough to find out the murderer (which I guessed sort of early on), but didn’t understand why the other story was being told. Overall a good read!

Three pairs of neighbors share a beach house and murder ensues.   This novel is an interesting whodunit wherein most of the characters appear to have thr motive and the lack of character to be guilty of the crime.
In my opinion, this is Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express level of "Whodunit" mystery.

Not only do you get one story, but its connected with multiple other story lines as well. Which I think was done flawlessly, in this scenario. You even get an ending to all of them, not just the "big one".
The novel was well written and had well developed characters. It is a believable mystery, surrounding who killed a parent in a group of three couples. The novel alternates between the day leading up to the murder and the present. It features multiple narrators, including the detective who is investigating the murder. It isn't a very fast paced novel and is predictable at times but is enjoyable nonetheless. I would describe it as strictly a mystery as there isn't much "thriller" aspects to it. It's great if you're looking for a traditional "who-dun-it" from the persepctive of multiple narrators.
A classic who-done-it with a multitude of possibilities. The characters were adequately developed but certainly not in-depth. The investigating police officer definitely needed more smarts and didn't really behave like any officer I've read about before (i.e. she monopolized the first "interview" with her own theories instead of getting the accused to talk). The secondary plot was unnecessary to the main story.  However, it was an easy, fun read that didn't require a lot of deductive powers.

Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the ARC to read and review.
I’m so sad to say that I found One Little Secret a little disappointing. I loved the previous book I read by Cate Holahan (the cleverly written Lies She Told) and had high expectations for this one. Unfortunately, while not a bad book, the mystery and the writing ended up falling a little short for me.

One Little Secret is told in alternating chapters from the POVs of three women. Jenny is a successful sports medicine commentator in an abusive marriage. Susan is a stay-at-home mom with a drinking problem and a workaholic husband. Together, with their husbands, they are renting a beach house with their other neighbors, Rachel and Ben. The third POV is from Gabby, the detective that investigates when one of the vacationing women is found dead. Out of the three of them, the only really likable character was Gabby, but I don’t feel like we ever really got to know her that well. I found both Jenny and Susan very frustrating. All three couples on vacation seemed pretty dysfunctional. I was actually expecting a lot more scandal from them, though, and was a little disappointed in how straightforward and cliched everything seemed to be.

I also felt like this almost read more like Women’s Fiction than Mystery/Thriller. While Holahan did do a good job of making me second guess myself at times, the mystery didn’t really involve anything surprising. Everything that happened seemed so coincidental and a little unbelievable. Also, I felt like every break in the case kind of just fell into Gabby’s lap instead of involving any real detective work from her. There was also a side plot involving the date rape of a young woman at a party that just barely tied into the main mystery. It felt tacked on as an effort to make some sort of relevant comment on today’s culture and was not given the attention such a topic deserves. The story seemed to focus much more on the women’s marriage, family, identity, and self-worth. The murder seemed almost an afterthought.

Overall, One Little Secret, was an ok read, but did not live up to my expectations. While the multiple narrators helped move the story along, I never really connected to any of the characters, which made it hard to care about what happened to them. While this isn’t one I would pick up again, I’d still be interested in reading more from this author.

Overall Rating (out of 5): 3 Stars
3 couples on a week long vacation. One night of drinking and secrets revealed. One dead body.
This domestic thriller goes back and forth between the night of the murder and the investigation. It's told through the eyes of the detective who is investigating and the couples involved. I liked how until the very end everyone was a suspect.
In short, it was a good read, I felt some of the characters were quite unlikable, but I understood the desperation they felt.  I would read again if I rediscovered it later on in my kindle and recommend to people who enjoyed Big Little lies
Told in alternating time lines (well, three days- before, day of, day after) and third person narration, this is the story of an unwise vacation.  Susan rents a beach house and then persuades two other couples to join her and her husband for a week. Sounds like a good idea.  Well, it might have been if everyone hadn't started drinking, a lot. A lot of bad stuff spills out in confessional format but someone- who is it- ends up dead on the Bech.  Holohan drops clues on this so you'll know (or can guess) early on but then you'll stay to work with Detective Gabby Watkins to find out why.  And who did it.  That you might not guess.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  Talk about a beach book!
"Everyone has a secret. For some, it's worth dying to protect. For others, it's worth killing."

Three couples rent a fabulous beach house on the Hamptons the perfect place to get to know new people, no children allowed, What could possibly go wrong? well, Murder!! A woman was found dead on the beach, what happened to her? who is responsible for her death?

The plot is told in a three day period (the day before, the day of, the day after), and alternates characters bringing to the developt of the story the drama and suspect necessary to get us connected to this book, it is a story about secrets, a lot of secrets!! The reader should be aware that there is domestic violence in the book. I enjoyed the previous book of Holahan "Lies She Told", and I was looking forward to this one, I loved how the author creates characters so unlikeable, I wasn't sure who the killer is. It is a fast read, perfect for a Summer Beach Getaway. Recommended.

Thank you to NetGalley, Crooked Lane Books for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review. #NetGalley #OneLittleSecret
For me, as thrillers go, "One Little Secret" by Cate Holahan was pretty close to perfection!

This character-driven psychological thriller brilliantly illustrated the fine line between love and obsession and served as a reminder that every choice made, good or bad, well-intended or otherwise, has consequences.

The author's characterisation was faultless with an assortment of characters who were complex and insecure. I loved the writing style which was wonderfully fluid and polished. The intricately interwoven plot was superbly executed as the story slowly unravelled, creating yet more unease, tension and anticipation.

A truly wonderful and very highly recommended thriller that should not be overlooked!

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Crooked Lane Books via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
One Little Secret was a very quick, “whodunit” mystery.  A woman’s body turns up dead on the beach, strangled and drowned.  It’s up to Sergeant Gabriella Watkins to figure out who would have had the motive and means to kill her.

This was a QUICK read.  Once I got past the first 3-4 chapters I read the rest in one sitting. The relationships are tangled and drive the plot as the chapters flip between the day of the murder and the day after the murder.  This allows the reader to receive nearly every character’s interpretation of the day’s events.

Overall, while I didn’t experience much attachment to the characters, I enjoyed the pace of the novel and I liked that I got  each character’s viewpoint of that night’s events.
One summer vacation, three couples, one murder. Rachel’s body is found by Susan and nadal, on the beach the morning after they have arrived. When police start investigating, they look deeper into the lives of these couples to try and find the murderer. When each persons life intertwines with the other in unexpected ways, each person could have motive to kill Rachel. Will the police find the real murder with absolutely no evidence??
This book has a slow start and I didn’t really get invested until halfway through, but once I did I kept trying to guess who did it! The details and back stories that unfold were beautifully written and it will keep you guessing until the very last page (literally).