The Stillwater Girls

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Apr 2019

Two obviously different stories, different worlds... how could they possibly collide?

Nicolette, married to a successful photographer who has been traveling a lot for work.... and possibly someone else? She is feeling hopeless trying to put the pieces together in her life and marriage.

Wren and younger sister Sage, are waiting for their mother to return to their isolated cabin from the trip to the doctor... but it has been months and they are starting to run out of food. Late one evening comes a knock on the door and now they have no choice but to run.

After the stories collide the book becomes a bit easier to figure out, nonetheless I enjoyed these characters and figuring out their stories!
A very unique storyline with an even better ending.  Two sisters tell the story of their upbringing away from any modern conveniences or even other people.  They must count on each other as they make their way through a new, confusing, frightening world while they look for their family.  I had read some great reviews of this book.  They were all true.  This is one you really do not want to miss.
I thought this book was really entertaining and good. I loved how the different chapters were in the perspectives of different characters in the story. It was also a fun twist to think the husband was bad but discover he and his wife are on the same page and he's just trying to protect her. Overall the book kept my interest and I finished it in about two days. It's one I'd recommend to others and enjoyed reading.
This was a great read!  I finished it quickly because it was so well written and flowed smoothly.  It was very intriguing, a plot unlike one I've read before.  Loved the characters as well.  They were very real.  I look forward to reading more from this author.
Two girls are left alone, abandoned by their mother, in a remote cabin in the woods, totally isolated from society and the modern conveniences that most take for granted. When a strange man enters their cabin and holds them captive, the girls decide to make a run for it through the dense, unknown forest. What awaits them on the other side turns their worlds, and everything they thought they knew, completely upside down.

This is wrought with suspense throughout and lots of hints of what’s to come along the way and a completely surprising and satisfying ending. I loved the descriptions of the setting, specifically the threadbare cabin and the girls meager existence there, which could have been taken right out of a Laura Ingalls Wilder book. I loved that there were several twists and people were not always who they appeared to be. The characters and their struggles captured my heart. Overall, a very enjoyable and satisfying read.

Many thanks to Netgalley, Thomas & Mercer and Minka Kent for my complimentary e-copy ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Sisters Sage and Wren have lived with their mother and younger sister Evie in the heart of Stillwater Woods for as long as they can remember. Tucked away from civilization and fearful of the modern world, the girls must make some difficult decisions as winter approaches when their mother leaves with an ill Evie never to return.
...
A page-turning literary fiction story with elements of both the mystery and thriller genres, I found this to be an enjoyable quick-paced read. I was able to piece together the outcome fairly quickly but then was surprised by a couple of plot twists.
Two sisters, Wren and Sage, are abandoned outside of civilization in a cabin in the middle of nowhere after their mother and sister leave to seek medical care.  After months of waiting, a man shows up to the cabin and the girls decide to make a run for it.  At the same time, a wife believes that her husband is having an affair after finding a photo of a little girl.  The sisters make their way to her home where the truth is discovered.  This book was nothing short of hard hitting and creative.  I want to find out what happens after this book and hope the author resumes the story.  Thanks for the ARC, Net Galley.
A beautiful and touching book, about the intricacies of motherhood and marriage, with a well written plot, able to twist and amaze the reader.

I absolutely loved the narrative and the characters of Wren and Nic. I had my doubts about the male chatacters, yet I was pleasantly surprised in the end. I highly recommend this book.

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this arc.
Couldn't finish it. The blurb was promising, but the plot and the writing style just don't add up. If you've read a lot of thrillers, you can most safely skip this one.

Thanks for the ARC. (Also, great cover!)
This was a really good read.   It is regarding two sisters Wren and Sage living off grid in seclusion with their mother who has to leave them when the youngest child Evie becomes sick and needs medical attention.  The girls are told not to open the door and not to go beyond the forest because the world is a scary place.  Then, when a strange man comes knocking at their door, looking for their mother, they become afraid and run away from the only house that they have ever known and run into the forest.

Now the plot twist at the end had my head in a tailspin!!  And one that I did not see coming!!

I would recommend this book, it is a fast read, however although it says it is a psychological thriller, it is also about family drama.

Thank you NetGalley for providing me a free digital copy for an honest review.
The "Stillwater Girls" was a real emotional roller-coaster ride!

This was an untypical and very suspenseful thriller. Filled with characters that were vividly and delightfully described by the author, Minka Kent, I found myself completely absorbed as I was pulled into their heart-wrenching journey. This book was a fantastic mix of suspense and heartbreak.

This was my first novel by Minka Kent, but I also want to read 'The Perfect Roommate' and 'The Memory Watcher'.
Her writing style was absolutely captivating and I loved every minute of this book.

I Highly recommend "The Stillwater Girls" to anyone looking for a quick, emotional and suspenseful read.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Thomas & Mercer via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Thank you NetGalley for an advance copy.

The story is told from multiple view points and I was sucked in from the first chapter!  The author has a very engaging style and I was reading as fast as I could to see what happened.  Your imagination is always ignited by some new fact.... and secrets emerge that plant more seeds of doubt and deception.  The ending was not my favorite but over all enjoyed.
I enjoyed this book a lot - compelling, fast paced. An interesting and suspenseful read. Recommended to those who enjoy family drama as well as thrillers.
This was an exciting and intense read. The reader gets wrapped up in Wren, Sage, and Evie and their circumstances. Highly recommend and suggesting for purchase.
A very interesting thriller split between the two narrators - Wren and Nicollete. Each of them has a different way of life, but both have their own secrets and desires. Very captivating, very fast-paced and, a good thing in my opinion, short chapters. I really enjoyed it!
I love Minka Kent, Great book and i love the author. This is certainly a must read for all the bookish bibliophiles out there. I highly recommend this to people. Thank you for the approval.
One of the hallmarks of a great thriller is that the reader keeps turning pages because she simply has to know what is going to happen next.  Luckily, The Stillwater Girls by Minka Kent does just that.  Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down.

In part, this was because of the Stillwater girls themselves.  Wren is an admirable character.  Though she's young, she's smart and tough, and she knows how to take care of her sister no matter what the circumstances.  Of all the characters in the novel, she was the one that I was rooting for the most.

There are also plenty of shady characters, family secrets, and lies.  Throughout the book, I just had to know what was going to happen to whom.  Although I knew that the main characters were missing a lot of information (which was later revealed), the omissions never became annoying or interfered with the plot.

On the downside, I felt that the ending did stretch credibility.  Not break it, exactly, but certainly push it to its limits.  The ending didn't feel quite authentic; although, the author did do a good job of laying the clues.

For those looking for a suspenseful read, I recommend The Stillwater Girls by Minka Kent.
The Stillwater Girls is a story told in alternating POV’s that will have you wondering just how the two storylines are going to intersect. Nicolette and her husband are looking to become foster parents, while Wren and her sister Sage have been seemingly abandoned by their mother in their isolated cabin in the woods. Just when you think you know how the stories will come together, author Minka Kent will keep throwing twists your way.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed the concept, and felt as though it was done well.  I felt invested in the characters, and wanted to know what would happen next.
3.5 rounded down.

I love Minka Kent - love her writing, her story telling, the way she makes me forget I’m reading fiction, and the way I literally can’t put her books down. I also loved this book.... until 80% in. And while I still cried and enjoyed it overall, the twists in the last quarter of the novel were just too much for me.  I still recommend this book and I will absolutely pick up the next Kent book the second it’s available, but this one just didn’t quite do it for me.