Stealing the Duke

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Feb 2019

Stealing the Duke is the second book in the Scandal Sheets series by Jess Michaels. I have not read the previous book in the series, but found no lack of enjoyment or understanding the story.

When the Earl of Martingale died, his daughter Marianne discovered he had been stealing. When she tried to return the items, it only created a scandal that could destroy her and her beloved younger sister. Now she's found one more item and decides to just sneak it back to the victim in the hopes to keep her disgrace from growing. Alexander Wittingham, the Duke of Avondale, has isolated himself since his sister died. But when he catches the fetching Marianne trying to return his sister's stolen broach, her presence awakens desires in him, longings he hasn't allowed himself to feel in years. When he realizes her dire straits, he makes her a shocking offer that could save her, f she's willing to surrender her body. Their affair draws them close physically and emotionally. But will Alexander ever accept Marianne to be more than his lover? If he does, will it be too late?

Stealing the Duke is a historical romance that gets to the steam pretty quickly. I like that Marianne and Alex are generally very honest with each other about how they feel and what they want. Alex is much more closed off, but even when he is hiding behind his work and a gruff attitude he is generally honest and rarely cruel, even when he is trying to push Mari away.   I liked the reality of how few choices women had in the past, and how others often viewed people forced to make those choices- even though it was not nearly as stark as it could have been. There were a few moments that did not work as well as others but I really enjoyed some of the conversation and character development that kept the story moving forward.  It was a nice diversion on a weekend of rain, and I was fully engaged and content through the read.

Stealing the Duke is an entertaining and engaging read. I enjoyed the characters and the set up for the story. I think fans of Michaels will be more than please by this book, and new readers will enjoy it as well.
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley and The Passionate Pen for an honest review.
This is the second book in the Scandal Sheet series. I loved the first book in this series and really enjoyed this second instalment. Jess Michaels has a great style of writing and always gives the reader a story that you can start to read and not be able to put it down till you have finished. The Lovely Heroine,Marianne is trying to do the right thing in returning an item that her father has stolen from the Hero, Alexander Wittingham, the Duke of Avondale sister and get caught.  The Hero has been a recluse since this sister died and it is Marianne that helps him want to get back in the world again . Loved this very enjoyable story and loved the  perfect pairing and the way it all turns out. I can honestly say I recommend this story highly.
This is Jess Michaels second book in the series and although I had not read the first instalment, I could easily pick up the plot and was not disappointed.  JM weaves a great story with well-developed characters, great banter and plenty of romance.

I received this ARC from NetGalley for an honest review.  All views are my own.
This book brought me back to the times when I started reading Jess Michaels' books like Everything Forbidden and Taken By the Duke which were the best times. I love the whole let's make a deal situation and then the feelings just surface when both characters are trying not to fall for each other. Where there is guilt and secrets but they learn to face these obstacles together. The broken hero who needs love, someone to share in their pain and just be with them. Such an amazing book! I love this book and can't wait for the next one.
despicable dukes!

I was not greatly enamored by Alexander Wittingham, the Duke of Avondale. Nor did I feel comfortable with the premise of said Duke using blackmail for his amorous designs. When the Earl of Martingale dies leaving his eldest daughter Marianne to discover his guilty secret and the artifacts he'd stolen from various ton associates she calls the police to have them returned. Arrk! Social ruin now in place!  Alas she finds one more piece so tries to sneak into Avondale's home and return it. Foolishly empty headed or desperate? I can't decide. Of course she's going to be caught! Unfortunately when this innocent young woman, without protection tries to set things to rights she becomes ensnared in a larger game. And so, Alexander Wittingham shot straight to the top of my blackguards list.
I know all turns out well after some harrowing times but I just plain dislike the Duke! I'm also not relating too well to our heroine victim Marianne.
I must declare this Jess Michaels' Duke was not for me. I can understand Marianne's struggles to protect her sister and her need to go ahead with the transaction, but I was just plain cross with our ducally preditor.
Definitely a story with a different twist before reaching its HEA. And of course this series is The Scandal Sheet!

A NetGalley ARC
This is the second book in the Scandal sheet series. When Marianne finds a piece of jewellery in her late father's desk, she knew instantly that her father hadn't bought it but had stolen it, because of the initials that was inscribed on the jewellery and who it belonged to.  So Marianne comes up with a plan to return the item back to its rightful owner, which doesn't go exactly to plan.

Overall this was a brilliant book and it follows on from the previous book, and its a book I can highly recommend.
Overall the writing was good but the story felt a little flat. Not as good as Jess Michaels other books but it was worth the read.

I had high hopes for this novella, but unfortunately this short story just fell flat. I really didn't like either of the two main characters, not did I enjoy their romance. Pity, since I really enjoyed the previous instalment.
I have become a fan of Jess Michaels ...the more i read her books the more i crave for...My 1st book by Jess was " The Other Duke " ...i loved her story so much that i started following her...Stealing the Duke by Jess Michaels is book Two in The Scandal Sheet Series. This is the story of Alexander Wittingham, the Duke of Avondale and Lady Marianne.

Alexander Wittingham, the Duke of Avondale, has completely shut off from society... he has lived in isolation for the last five years because of his scars physically .mentally ...He considers himself a monster .... Lady Marianne is the daughter of the Earl of Martingale who has died leaving a hard task for Marianne to complete as he had a habit of stealing things from members of the ton... ... she wants to return all the things stolen by him discreetly so there is no scandal to there name as she has a younger sister Juliet to be settled & married off...

When she finds a brooch that belongs to the sister of the Duke of Avondale, she decides to return it herself....She expects nobody residing in the duke's London home but is apprehended by Alex who thinks a thief is stealing from him...Alex realizes it is a lovely female allows her to explain her circumstances... a bargain is struck between the two.... from here the story of how romance blooms between Alex & Marianne & ultimately they fall in love...

It is a very smooth story ...the chemistry between Alex & Marianne is sizzling ... both are mature characters , strong , sensible , with deep feelings, emotions,,,Jess has dealt with the story very brilliantly...the progress of there relationship is defined beautifully... a very well written & presented book ... the plot was fast paced not boring or a stereotype ... overall a cozy ,steamy & a romantic read ..

Thank you for a delightful book Jess ... I would highly recommend it ...please do not miss it
I hated the Hero and Heroine. Like, honestly just didn't want them to have a happier ever after because I found them so abrasive. Which was really unfortunate because the writing style was lovely.
A steamy short novella with an engaging heroine and a great story - I wish it had been longer.

Marianne is in trouble, her father, the Earl of Martingale has died, and she has discovered he was a kleptomaniac, she calls in the runners to return things discreetly, but her sercret is leaked to the ton by one of the runners, out to make his name, ostracised by the ton, and cast out by her father’s heir because of the scandal, she is worried about how she will be able to support herself and her 10 year old sister Juliet.

She discovers a brooch belonging or Alexander, Duke of Whittingdale, whose sister Anne has recently died in tragic circumstances. She decides to break into his house to return the brooch, however he catches her in the act. Alexander, scarred and reclusive, is instantly attracted to Marianne, so bargains with her to spend a month as his lover, in return for a Cottage and a dowry for her sister. She accepts. She will have a month, and then she will be able to provide for her sister, and Alexander will be able to get this attraction to her out of his system.

This Beauty and the Beast style tale is really well handled. Marianne is a lovely character, who soon falls for Alexander, but can he get over his scars, both mental and physical, and own his heart to her.

Jess Michaels always delivers a solid plot, and believable characters. I really enjoyed this, and only wish it had been a full length novel. However Jess does deliver a full story convincingly, nothing feels rushed or misspaced.

I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book. Alll opinions are my own.

Also posted on good reads,
The Earl of Martingale died and his daughter Marianne discovered he’s been stealing from his friends.  She rightfully called the police and had everything returned to the rightful owners, but she didn’t expect to her or her little sister to be ruined in the eyes of London’s society. She inadvertently finds a hidden item and decides to sneak it back to the owner, Alexander Wittingham, the Duke of Avondale.  Alex who was once a rake and a scoundrel has since his sister’s death become a recluse.  After finding the delectable Marianne in house stealing sets his desire a flame as never before.  He sets out to bargain for one month of her delectable body and he’ll set up her and her sister when the bargain is over.  What neither expects to find an unexpected connection growing between them and what it means when the one month is up and their deal is over. I loved this novella it could of easily been a full length novel for me I didn’t want it to end.  This my honest opinion and review after I read the book
Who doesn't love a good mystery? Jess Michaels turns love into an intriguing adventure with tons of suspense and a steamy backdrop to light the way to a happy ending. Stealing the Duke is the best of what romance has to offer. There's a twist around ever corner and enough heart to spare.
Whether a full length novel or a novella such as this one, Jess Michaels delivers a complete story that hooks me in every time. Alexander and Marianne were a perfect pair and I look forward to the next in this series.
The first installment of "The Scandal Sheet" was highly entertaining, so I was looking forward to this next chapter.  I would have posted a review earlier, but I needed to take an ice bath first.  Seriously, Jess Michaels really knows how to write extremely steamy historical romance!

Marianne's father, a kleptomaniac, recently died.  After all the stolen items were returned to their owners, she finds a hidden locket belonging to the deceased sister of the Duke of Avondale.  Not wanting to bring any more attention to herself or her young sister, she decides to sneak into the Duke's home and leave the locket there.  She thought he was not in residence; she was wrong.  Alexander, a scarred and emotionally damaged solitary man, caught her in the act.  Immediately attracted to Marianne, he agrees to let her and her sister live in a cottage on his property (her cousin, the new Earl of Martingale, is kicking them out of their home) if she agrees to be his mistress for a month.  What other choice does she have?

What follows is a lovely erotic version of Beauty and the Beast.  Alexander believes his soul is as damaged as his face.  Marianne, however, sees the goodness in him and tries to draw it out.  They become intense lovers; however, can Marianne bring her duke 's heart back to life?  You won't be able to put down this engaging story until you find out.

I received an ARC of this book courtesy of the publisher and NetGalley.  I received no compensation for my review, and all thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.
I received a free copy from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.  Stealing the duke is a short novella from Jess Michaels, however unlike most short novellas this book did not feel rushed and in complete.  Yes the declarations of love come really fast but the couple is sweet. I started this late at night and could not put it down until I finished it.
Nothing beats a light and short read with an interesting concept and beauty and the beast elements. Sure the romance was rushed and the “I loves you” dropped before you know it, but it was a enjoyable read nevertheless
The Story in 4 Sentences or Less: As if losing her father wasn’t enough, Marianne discovers that the late Earl of Martingale had a habit of stealing things and when she tried to return the items it created a scandal that endangered not only Marianne’s reputation but that of her younger sister. Marianne finds one more of her father’s pilfered items and attempts to return it quietly she’s caught by none other than Alexander Wittingham, the Duke of Avondale. Marianne is desperate to save her sister and the duke takes advantage and makes her an offer that is both scandalous and irresistible.

Like It? Hate it? Love it? Why? Stealing the Duke is another bite sized addition to the Scandal Sheet series by Jess Michaels and while enjoyable it definitely feels rushed and left me feeling a bit unsatisfied.

Like in the first novella in the series, this love story also deserved more time to develop and grow, to give the reader a chance to get to know these characters, to decide if they’re likable or not, and to want them to have a happy ending. Alexander and Marianne are both complicated, emotionally driven characters that I wanted to know much more about. For a novella it is best for readers to have uncomplicated characters and little to no drama simply because of the length of the book itself. I felt that there was too much happening and too little time to believably resolve everything PLUS have a viable romance between Alexander and Marianne. Alexander and Marianne are likable on the surface but that’s because that’s really as far as you get to go with them.

Don’t get me wrong, if you’re looking for a quick read then this is it but if you like to get to know the characters, believe in their romance, and feel connected then this novella isn’t going to rate very high there. Jess Michaels is a talented author but I feel this series of novellas isn’t going to be among my favorites. To really get an idea of how awesome this author is I would recommend her Notorious Flynns series or *sighs* her 1797 Club series.

Click It or Skip It? Click It if you’re into quickie romances but again, this is not the best reflection of this author’s work.
Stealing the Duke by Jess Michaels
The Scandal Sheet #2

What a delightful story! It had a bit of the feel of Beauty and the Beast and seemed a bit of a fairy tale but what a fun adult fairy tale it was! The story sizzled in more ways than one and I hoped, along with Marianne, that Alexander would eventually see her for who she truly was and realize what she had to offer to him if he was only willing to open up a bit and take a chance.

Thank you to NetGalley and The Passionate Pen for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars
Fabulous. I loved this story. Couldnt put it down. The hero and heroine had good chemistry and the story is well written. As always Jess Michael's captivates and ensures the reader is entertained from beginning to end