A History of the Bible

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Sep 2019

I enjoyed this book. It's well written and well researched. Anyone interested in learning about the origins of the Bible and their religion will enjoy this fascinating book. I'm not a Christian, but have always enjoyed reading of the origins and development of religions.
This is an absolutely fascinating book for anyone who has an interest in the Bible, regardless of whether you are specifically religious or not. This is a longer book with a lot of information in it, so I suggest reading it in smaller chunks, so you can truly appreciate all of the nuances.

The Bible, as most people are no doubt already aware, has been through many changes over the years, being adapted and translated for different languages and cultures and updated by various scribes either accidentally or with a specific theological angle in mind. This book really captures that and explains how and why these changes occurred. One of the things I found striking about this book is, how it shows the many transformations the New Testament has been through before and after the Reformation, but how little the Torah has actually changed through the centuries. The author also points out that we do not possess a text of the New Testament as it was in the days of Paul, Luke or John, because only variants are extant.

This was an intriguing and helpful book for me since I am currently learning to be a textual analyst with a focus on scripture. Even if you are not currently pursuing a scholastic endeavour though, this book is still one that you don't want to miss.

I was thoroughly impressed with the depth of the author's knowledge and his presentation of the facts. He did not come across as overly biased or in favour of one theological idea over another. He based his research on historical fact and spectator evidence, as all good non-fiction authors should make a habit of doing.

Overall, this was one of the best books I have read in the last few years and I can't recommend it enough.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the publisher, provided through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
3.5 stars.  I have always been interested in the question or who wrote the bible so I grabbed this lengthy history tome off of NetGalley.  The author is an engaging writer and I learned a ton about the history and research of the Bible.  He did include quite a bit of direct passages from the Bible which I kind of get, but I also just skimmed over which tells me that it wasn't really necessary.  Overall, this is an interesting history and one that enhances my own understanding of the Bible.  I received this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.