Panic Attack

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Jul 2019

The author's painstaking research and attention to detail is obvious in the writing of this book.  The author laid out the information in a manner that allowed the reader to form their own opinion.
This book was well researched and well written. I was not sure what to think prior to reading it as the topic of politics and Trump is so polarizing nowadays its hard to be rational and logical. Soave looks at how millennials are protesting and how it differs/ compares with previous generations.  I love how this book didn't focus on just one end of the political spectrum. The most important aspect of this book was how it highlighted how these "protests" across universities are a means to stifle differing opinions and free speech. This topic is one that should be important for every person, regardless of how they fit on the right and left spectrum.  This book also provides an excellent insight into how millennials are viewing modern political protest. I look forward to reading the sequel that will likely come out after the 2020 election *regardless of the results. I received an ARC in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
*I received this for free in exchange for an honest review*

I don't think this was quite the right book for me, not because it's a bad book but because I already knew everything the author was talking about. I've been following all the 'radical' news since it started to effect the book community. So I know just how... passionate these kind of people are. Now, I will say that it also talks about the alt-alright and discusses them as well. What I loved was how he showed the older generations and how they went after things and how my generation does it today. That was awesome. While I don't agree with everything the author says, it was pretty nifty seeing some of this stuff through another's eyes. As long as those are eyes are still reasonable and not so far gone down the rabbit hole on either side.

“I think of safety as the right of every person to leave their house or to leave wherever they live, to walk this world and to feel safe and comfortable in their own skin, in their own ways that they identify, and to not fear violence, not fear prejudice, not fear discrimination, to not fear being bothered or to not fear living." - My favorite quote

Will go live on the blog 05/22/2019

The only great thing about chicken pox at age 52 (and being a super- speed reader) is you can easily read and review four+++ books a day..and this was an excellent book to have spent an hour or two (or many more on your side) with

Since the 2016 election, college campuses have erupted in violent protests, demands for safe spaces, and the silencing of views that activist groups find disagreeable. Who are the leaders behind these protests, and what do they want? In Panic Attack, libertarian journalist Robby Soave answers these questions by profiling young radicals from across the political spectrum.

Millennial activism has risen to new heights in the age of Trump. Although Soave may not personally agree with their motivations and goals, he takes their ideas seriously, approaching his interviews with a mixture of respect and healthy scepticism. The result is a faithful cross-section of today's radical youth, which will appeal to libertarians, conservatives, centrist liberals, and anyone who is alarmed by the trampling of free speech and due process in the name of social justice.

Every generation has a thing to be radical over and protest as such, and this one is no exception - the difference is, I think, the advent of social media and the addition of high school students jumping into the mix as a result of school shootings. GIving everyone an outlet can be as destructive as it is for good - Millenials need to occasionally GET OVER THEMSELVES and get back to classes. [Boy, did I sound like a librarian there!] Not all radicalism is good - sorry! But these youngsters profiled have brains --- they can be applied to and in so many ways.

If Trump gets re-elected, I can only imagine a sequel to this book will be written - good!!! The book was well thought out and researched and it is a great read:... however, I would have liked the author to have covered the PTSD effect of this radicalism after an event. The suicide of a recent Parkland shooting survivor who had survivor guilt on top of PTSD shows that radicalism (March for our Lives is their protest) is not necessarily all for good.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by Millenials on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🔫🔫🔫🔫🔫 (maybe water pistols would be a better way to protest???).