LET HER GO

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 May 2019

I really wanted to like this book but I could not. This is not the first book in the series but I didn't feel like it was a stand-alone novel since Lillian kept referring to events that had happened in the past but I had no idea what was going on (it would have been nice to add more of a backstory like a prologue to help readers catch up.) The other aspect that made this unbelievable was that Lillian was allowed to interfere with police investigations and no one stopped her! She went into crime scenes, spoke with witnesses without giving a statement, it was a bit far-fetched and ridiculous to me. I would have abandoned this book but I wanted to read through to see if it redeemed itself, unfortunately it did not.
This book drew me in and held me delightfully-captive from beginning to end. The palpable tension held me in thrall. The plot kept me guessing. The characters were realistic, likable and identifiable. And, every settings was described in such a way as to make me feel like I was an actual bystander in that scene. Once I started reading this story, I knew this was a book I wasn’t going to be able to put down!

#LetHerGo #NetGalley
This is the third book in the series with Lillian Dove.  I haven't read the first two, but this is good as a stand-alone.

Lillian has inherited a business and house from a one time friend, and still thanks her good fortune.

She wakes one Sunday morning, three days before Christmas,  to discover that her front door is wide open.  Remarkably her Christmas tree has disappeared.

She comes across Dr. Conrad outside his house, covered in blood.  On further inspection, his wife is dead, son badly injured and daughter missing.

This is a tense thriller which will keep your attention until the end.  Detective Jacque Leveque is heading up this investigation, with only Dr. Conrad as a chief suspect for most of this.

You cannot be like Lillian Dove and the main characters are well described.

I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are all my own and completely unbiased.  My thanks to NetGalley for this opportunity.
This was my first book by this author and it. Seems it’s the third in a series but that didn’t dampen this particular story although the back stories would have enriched the reading experience. Rather fun actually, with a good mystery in the center.
A good book well written and with suspense, mystery wanting you to read more. I wish i had read the other books first.
I never read any other books by this author,  but I'm glad I did. This is an excellent book I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Adamson's  writing style is such a pleasure to read. It pulls you in seamlessly and immerses you in the murky waters of a top class psychological thriller  with a killer twist!
How many times have I asked this question of myself?

“If only I could go back and do life differently. Isn't that what people say? Life would be so much better. Would it?”

Gosh, what a book this turned out to be! “Let Her Go” by D.J. Adamson is a book you ought to read. Highly amusing, risqué and calamitous is a description of it, just like Lillian’s life.

“ Let Her Go” is the third novel in D.J. Adamson’s ‘Lillian Dove’ series, the first book being ‘Admit to Mayhem’ followed by ‘Suppose.’ Although I haven’t yet read these two from the series, it wasn’t a problem for me as the author provided plenty of history. This was interwoven very neatly with the current story and indeed, for me, complemented it.

I didn't have any particular expectations when starting this book, other than I had assumed it would be a typical thriller. This would have been great so I was very surprised to find that it began with Lillian's disappearing Christmas tree! It was a delightful and highly amusing beginning to start this book and I couldn’t have imagined the impact this would continue to have throughout the story.

D.J Adamson has drawn a truly fascinating character in creating Lillian Dove. I dare say that she probably won’t appeal to everyone, but she was definitely pretty remarkable for me. Lillian is a recovering alcoholic, among other things.

She has a dynamic, though flawed character whose personality and often ill-thought actions made her the scourge of law enforcement officials in her home-town of Frytown, Iowa. Though scorned by many, she had a kind heart and warm personality though a few would have preferred her to keep her opinions to herself and not ask so many searching questions.

As the narrator of the story, Lillian couldn’t be relied upon because she had a tendency towards self-doubt and frequently questioned her own opinions and actions.

In “Let Her Go” there is a heavy focus on Lillian's self-development rather than the mystery itself, as she copes with the trepidations of her sobriety, relationships, and her own financial situation. The fast pacing and many twists and turns all increase the anticipation for what is a very fulfilling final reveal.

Many of the character interactions were tremendously entertaining, especially those between Lillian and Detective Jacque Leveque or her mother, Dahlia. There were a lot of unresolved, emotional issues from their past between Lillian and Dahlia, problems that Lillian needed to address in case it became too late. Just to add a bit of icing on the cake, an only partially ended affair with the Chief of Police is thrown into the mix, adding another layer to the already complex, thrilling plot.

Brilliantly written, impressionistic, with a delicious and at times, vicious humour and populated with fabulous characters, this is a mystery like no other. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to read it and look forward to checking out the previous instalments. I thoroughly enjoyed the darker tone and grittier nature of the story that made this such a suspenseful read!

Verdict: Read it and whatever you have to do to bag your copy, do it.

Thanks to NetGalley, BooksGoSocial and the author, D.J. Adamson, for my free ARC of Let Her Go in exchange for an honest review.

[#NetGalley #LetHerGo]
An excellent thriller! Kudos to the writer for bringing the characters to life, and for making the plot so fascinating. I enjoyed the book very much and woul love to read more by this talented author.
This book is part of a series, which I have not read, and I think I might have enjoyed this book more had I read the other two books. This book can be read as a stand-alone, but be warned that it may impact how much you enjoy the book.

Basic Plot - Lillian Dove is a former police department employee and she seems to often find herself mixed up in some mystery/criminal activity. In this book, she finds an injured man on a street corner and learns that his family has been brutally attacked. She stops to help and ends up getting herself involved in trying to find out what happened to this family.

The first page of the book spoke to me...

Don't know about you, but I've had that exact thought! So I was super encouraged about reading the rest of the book and thought that I was really going to enjoy the Lillian character. The book was going along so well and then it started going downhill. I didn't developed any interest or feelings for Lillian and the whole book is about her. BUT, in all fairness, I did not read the other books and this book only gives snippets of her back story, not enough to develop an interest in the character. Lillian had some quirks and a thought process that I found absolutely annoying and eye-roll worthy. But, this might be part of her charm, had I gotten to know the character from book 1. I am sure there is some character building that happened during the other books, that I missed out on.

With that said, Lillian and the entire Frytown Police Department (FPD) kind of got on my nerves! I got the impression that Lillian was a former desk clerk, or something of that nature, with the FPD and not that she was a former cop. She kept inserting herself into a murder investigation in ways that would have made more sense if she was a former cop. If she had been a former gun carrying member of the FPD, I would have cut her a little slack for sticking her nose in where it didn't belong. It just didn't make sense to me that she was going around town trying to solve what happened to this family to the point of questioning people of interest in the case. She was basically running her own investigation concurrently with the police.

The other thing that I don't care for in general with mystery/thriller books, is when a character knows that something they are doing is stupid, but they do it anyway. Like in scary movies where the person is home alone and they hear a noise in the dark basement, attic, woods, etc. and instead of getting the heck out of there, they go investigate (smh). Lillian did a lot of "I know I shouldn't do this" or "I should really stay out of this" only to do that exact thing. This could honestly be part of her quirky charm.

I did keep reading the book because I was interested in the overall story and finding out what exactly happened to this family. And I did enjoy the glimpses into Lillian's back story. I have one lingering question, which may have been answered in the earlier books, but does she see actually see ghosts or are these dream sequences??? I would read another book by this author, but I would not start mid-series.
I think I would have liked this more if I realized it was book 3 in a series. I didn't read the first 2. That being said, this was a good thriller.
This was the first book I have read by this author. It took me a little while to get in to it but then I really enjoyed it. Good story and characters. I plan to read more by her.
This book is hard to put in a slot for type. definitely a mystery but also a whiff of romance, but also the story of a young girl's pain as seen by her adult self and with the relationship with her mom.  Now if you like a little holiday warmth and a good laugh this book is the answer to all you could wish for you. Lillian can't seem to stay out of police business or trouble follow her through a murder. stolen Christmas tree's, break-in at her mom's and the ghost of Christmas visit,  Enjoy I know I did.
Chilling. Gosh, this hooked me from page one and so on. It’s to wonderful and it had me with goosebumps!
No Epub or PDF provided so impossible to download (I don't have Kindle).
Really sad because from what I heard and read this book is really good and I really wanted to read and review it!