The Two Lila Bennetts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Aug 2019

I love Lisa and Liz writing,

I enjoyed the dual narrative of this book, and all the possibilities, it had me guessing "who did it?" And I was very wrong til the end, so that part was good since it was not what I was expecting.
"We are all a sum of our choices, each one unique leading us down different paths, each with its own outcome."

The Two Lila Bennetts is a fast paced tale that is easy to binge read into the wee hours of the night.  If you like suspense and drama, this book could be a winner for you.  If you need something deeper, this may be a good one to pass by on your way to something better.

The story swaps from two different viewpoints as alternating chapters, from the same person but her alter egos.  This is "good Lila" vs "bad Lila".  Lila is a defense attorney and often has to work in the gray area.  She's not the greatest person and has spent a long time making poor choices - from being an awful friend and wife to the choices she makes in her job as attorney.  These choices finally catch up to her.  When she disappears, it's anyones guess as to what happened.

It's easy to pick out who did it, but it doesn't stop this from being an entertaining book.  The book alternates between the Lila that made good choices and had a certain outcome, and the bad Lila that gets kidnapped.  Kind of like those choose your own adventure books gone awry.  This is a quick, summer read that you could enjoy but it won't stick with you long.
This was a slow story! It didn’t have much action until the end. It kept my attention enough to make me want to know how it ended. I rate this book at 2.8.
With one choice Lila Bennett's life is split into two. From there you see the consequences in alternating chapters. In one life she's a hostage and in the other she is not a hostage, but someone is threatening to expose her secrets.  This is a book full of suspense.  It is a really well written and cohesive book though with two authors.  I am always curious how that dynamic works in writing a book, but these two definitely pulled it off.
The Two Lila Bennetts is ripe for discussion for any book club! With alternating chapters, each following the life if Lila Bennett, a lawyer in Los Angeles who's decisions in her past now have significant impact on how her life is unfolding in present day, the two Lila Bennetts are living the consequences of her various decisions. Thank you NetGalley for my copy.
Wow! What a thrilling read.. I have never read a book like this with a dual story line. It kept me guessing until the very end. I really enjoyed the descriptive and detailed writing style. Lila Bennett is a flawed and complicated protagonist which gave the story extra dimension and depth. All around, a unique and captivating read!
What a unique and thoroughly entertaining story concept! I loved trying to wrap my mind around this book. Great read for thriller lovers!
This book kept me on my toes and really made me think. How could both the captured and free Lila be the same? Great book, I really enjoyed the concept of of this book and it was very uniquely written.
#review
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I don’t even know how I feel...it was really good! The Two Lila Bennetts starts out one way and then you see Lila’s life play out in two different scenarios so unique and different. The endings were unexpected and also left me questioning! I went in pretty blind and I think that’s the way to go. Another book down for #netgalleynovember 🎉 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This quote sums up the premise pretty well! “Maybe all we are is the sum of our choices, each one leading us down a different path, each with its own unique income.” Have you read it yet??
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC of The Two Lila Bennetts by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke.

Lila Bennett is a take-no-prisoners defense lawyer with a great record.  Known to get heinous offenders off has made her very popular with some, and wildly unpopular with many, but it doesn't matter much to Lila so long as she can maintain her lifestyle, along with her secrets.  So while it's not surprising, it is frightening when Lila's decisions start to catch up with her.

On a fateful day that Lila has a choice to make, the timeline is split with Lila choosing to go different directions.  Through these two different timelines we will discover who was loyal to Lila, and who was not, and will she change her ways?

First off, I don't read many books that are clearly written by two people.  I would love to know more about that.  Did they each take a different timeline?

This was fun enough, a good read on a cold dreary day.  As far as thrillers/suspense novels go, it was fine.  The characters weren't consistent and Lila herself seemed a bit dim for such a successful lawyer.  Also, I had the ending predicted way earlier than I probably should have.
A great thriller with twists that keep you guessing until the very end.  If you like thrilling stories, this is one you must read.
I loved the suspense in this novel! It’s definitely a nail biter that had me flipping the pages like a madwoman! The amazing writing duo did it again with another fantastic read!
I'm a huge fan of Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke. i was so excited for this book, and the novel didn't disappoint. Well written, fast paced, and full of twists, turns and suspense.  The story really gets you thinking, what if!
Another successful novel! Lisa and Liz have an absolute gift! As much as they tried to compare this to a movie I’d seen, they didn’t give themselves enough credit. There were two options, execute the idea poorly or nail it- They absolutely nailed it!!!!
Captivating, suspenseful, entertaining novel! This beautiful thriller kept me on the edge of my seat while I was reading it! Would highly recommend to those who enjoy this genre.
This book was a good story, even though I found it super confusing at the beginning to jump back and forth! Well written and fun to read, too.
I really enjoy books with a dual ending and this one did not disappoint.  The characters were realistic and the writing was great.
I am a fan of thrillers so I was excited to get The Two Lila Bennetts by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke. Liz and Lisa did an amazing job with the alternating chapters that give this book an amazing “sliding door” vibe! I love that vibe in my thrillers!!
I cannot say enough about this amazing book…..especially because I don’t want to ruin a thing for you! You need to experience that wicked awesome twists, turns and jaw dropping moments for yourself!
Lila Bennett is aware of the ethical considerations implicated in the practice of criminal defense law. But she hasn't always adhered to them. She is also well-versed in the moral dilemmas that sometimes arise in personal relationships -- marriage, friendship. and interactions with colleagues. In that area of her life, she has made reckless and callous choices.

Lila's history of questionable and, indeed, outright unethical decision-making is lengthy, dating back to well before she established herself as a successful litigator with a high-powered Los Angeles firm. In fact, were it not for some of those decisions, she would not be enjoying the well-paid career she has established. Authors Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke place her at a crossroad, examining the life of a woman who has permitted ambition, selfishness, and resentment to cloud her decision-making. The Two Lila Bennetts is a clever and tense thriller in which readers will find a message about how to navigate challenges. The prologue reveals that Lila is blindfolded, restrained, and being held captive. She observes, "[M]y life haunts me," because as she awaits her fate, she examines "every fork in the road that brought me here." After all, she notes ironically, you don't find yourself in such circumstances "if you've made the best choices."

From there, Fenton and Steinke reveal how Lila found herself in her current predicament. However, they craft Lila's story from two perspectives, employing alternating first-person narratives. Fenton and Steinke place Lila in two kinds of jeopardy. In the second story, she has not been kidnapped, but the life she has constructed is in danger because someone knows her secrets and is determined to reveal them. Thus, in one setting, Lila faces her own mortality. In the other, she stares down the implosion of her marriage, career, and relationships.

Lila acknowledges that she has lived her life as two women -- a girl girl and a bad girl reside within her. The bad girl cheers when she makes choices that are at odds with the advice and counsel the good girl gives her. That woman has a strong moral compass and is well aware of the right decisions, but Lila too often succumbs to the temptations dangled in front of her, and then justifies her choices. She lies to her husband, Ethan, a best-selling author who struggles with depression in the fact of pressure to replicate the success he enjoyed with the publication of his first book. In fact, Lila lies a lot. She has betrayed not only her husband, but her best friends, as well, in the pursuit of her goals and to advance her career. She is not unaware of how despicable her behavior has been. Does the realization come in time for her to stop behaving in self-destructive and cruel ways? If the truth is revealed, will the people how matter most to Lila be able to forgive her? Can she make amends? Will they let her? Those questions underlie and propel the story forward.

Fenton and Steinke's take on a classic premise is contemporary, refreshing, and inventive. As the focus moves between Lila being "Captured" and "Free," the suspense builds. Who is her captor vs. who knows and is revealing Lila's darkest secrets? Will she escape with her life vs. can she mitigate the damage and continue practicing law? The pace is unrelenting, the consequences for Lila in the parallel realities palpable. And because of its premise, The Two Lila Bennetts is inherently thought-provoking and empathetic. Everyone has made choices they regret, and wondered what might have happened if they had chosen differently. Lila learns that her choices have made all the difference. Fenton and Steinke keep readers guessing about the identity of Lila's tormenters and their motivation, and provide jaw-dropping but fully logical conclusions to both story lines. The result is a compulsively readable, engrossing morality play through which Fenton and Steinke reinforce that "love, loss, and betrayal can make people o the very worst things. things no one believes they're capable of doing." Can introspection, atonement, and determination not to repeat past mistakes make a difference? That's the question to which Lila Bennett finds an answer. But not without consequences.