The Two Lila Bennetts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Aug 2019

This book is a "Sliding Doors" version of a suspense novel, showing us two different paths the narrator's life could have gone down depending on whether she went home after work one night. In both, she is a criminal defense attorney feeling nagging guilt about some of the things she has done for her job, and about the affair she has just ended with her boss/best friend's husband. But in one, she is kidnapped and held captive by a mysterious man bent on making her reckon with those and all the other bad things she has done in her life, while in the other she starts grappling with some of those things mostly on her own. Interesting general premise, but the characters and plot were just too over the top and not believable for me. I did find it a suspenseful and somewhat enjoyable read though.
The Two Lila Bennetts is the latest domestic thriller by this amazing writing duo Liz Fenton and Lisa Steimle.  A powerhouse, no holds barred, no regrets defense attorney in Los Angeles, Lila comes to realize through a dual timeline narrative just how far-reaching the consequences of one choice can extend. I really enjoyed this book, and all of the twists and turns - just when I thought I had it figured out, I would be wrong.  I received an ARC of this book, all opinions are my own.
I was a bit disappointed with this one despite the blurb being very enticing to me!
The flashbacks felt a bit messy with conflicting storylines, the good/bad Lila didn't have any impact and the drama seemed to outplay the thriller aspect overall. Maybe I was missing something with my own interpretation of it as I was reading, but overall I wasn't thrilled with this thriller!
I really enjoyed this book.  I appreciated the two viewpoints of Lila's life and thought it was very unique.  I read many thrillers, so when the authors try something different, it makes me take notice.  Thanks to NetGalley for allowing me access to this book.
I truly enjoyed this book, so much so that I finished it within a day! I truly enjoyed Fenton's writing style and premise of the book.

Highly recommend that anyone that loves thrillers read this one!
Very interesting concept, one I think a lot of people think of--what would their life be like if they took a different path? Lila gets to find out in this clever book. I thought it was very well done. It easily could have been cheesy or sloppy but it stayed believable and very readable.
I am determined to one day figure out how Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke craft such habit-forming novels. They really are masters at keeping the reader guessing and I’ve made it a habit to place bets with my spouse to see who can best guess how the plot will unfold.

I am appreciative of netgalley for giving me access to this book even though I had already ordered it and read the hardcopy in one sitting.

My hope is (and I know it’s an irrational  hope), that because the are two writers, we will get books from them twice as quickly. I know that’s not how it works, but a girl can dream.
Suspense, mystery, and a parallel universe made this one awesome read! Dual plot lines can get confusing sometimes but it was so very well done in this book that I had no problem. I was left guessing the whole time and when all was revealed in the end, it could not have been better!
Also a good reminder that our choices and actions always have consequences, good or bad.
I love a good mystery and this one did not disappoint! This one was a page turner and kept you guessing. Usually I can figure out many twists but this one wasn’t as easy for me to guess. I would recommend this one to anyone looking for a page turning unputdownable book!
This book was so amazing that I didn't want to put it down. I could not wait to see how it ended and it did not disappoint. I thought I had it figured out then there was a twist! This is definitely one of my favorite books of 2019. If you love Suspense then this is the perfect book for you!
What a wild ride! This book is so unique in the way that it was written… two possible storylines of two possible lives of Lila Bennett. It was so interesting to read the novel the way it was written like this and I really enjoyed the dynamics of the books and the duality of Lila’s life. Such an interesting concept of a novel and it was entertaining and full of twists and surprises.

Lila is a complicated character in this novel. She is full of secrets and has let many people down. No one is perfect, of course, but Lila has made her fair share of mistakes and wronged other people. Now it is up to her to right those wrongs, before it is too late. Will Lila succeed?

A novel that will have you immersed so deep into the story that won’t notice the time flying by until you are at the end of the book. Great job on this book. I look forward to the next novel you write together!
I really enjoyed this book.  I haven’t read anything like it before!  I liked the characters and it had me guessing until the end!  Thank you!
In a way, this book reminded me of the choose your own adventure books that I was hooked on as a kid.  You would make a choice and from that point on the story would change and go a different way.  In this book, Lila has made the mistake of having an affair with her boss and by being conniving in her career.  In one choice, she is captured and in the other she is free.  As she goes down each path, she is changed.  I really liked this book a lot and loved the way it drew out from each point.  Thanks for the ARC, Net Galley.
What an interesting psychological thriller... I couldn't put it down and I couldn't keep reading. I wanted to know what happened next and I was scared to know what happened next. Lila has made a lot of mistakes in her life. Have they caught up to her? The story begins with a case that involves a disgruntled sister of the deceased woman whose alleged husband murdered her and whom Lila defended in court. Add a little betrayal and adultery and the story unfolds into two Lila Bennetts. Which of the stories is real? What really happened? How will the stories of the two LIlas connect? Wanting to know the ending, I stayed up way too late. Worth it!
Thank you to Lake Union Publishing and to NetGalley for the advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
Unpopular opinion here, but I did not like this book. I really dragged out finishing it because I just didn't want to pick it back up.

Lila is supposed to be an unlikable character, but at no point did I ever grow to care about her or root for her. I was just annoyed by her. She comes off as an entitled woman who has never had to face the consequences of her actions before and that definitely did not make me sympathetic to her.

The concept of one decision changing your life is interesting, but in this case it didn't really split Lila's life into two different paths as many of the same events still played out. I also would've appreciated this book more if it wasn't trying to make right and wrong so black and white and instead left room for a moral gray area.

Thanks to Lake Union Publishing and Netgalley for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Can we get an AMEN?

Psyche suspense writers are pulling out all the stops this year. Just when we were getting dragged down with the same ole same ole….we have authors like Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke sticking it to us with a great big switcheroo.

What is going on? J. P. Delaney introducing robots into his newest thrillers, The Perfect Wife? And now…what the heck? Fenton and Steinke pulling out a Reverse Version of Jimmy Stewart It’s a Wonderful Life… Instead of showing Lila what would be if she hadn’t been born, she is forced to watch all her life’s mistakes where people were mortally wounded, betrayed and ruined that got in her path because she WAS born.

For all intents and purposes, The Two Lila Bennetts is technically a page turning, addictive, suspense thriller. But, believe me…you will be questioning every page and wonder how in the world this is going to be cleaned up at the end.

Despite your initial misgivings you WILL have, I am here to tell you that it works. Just go with it. Appreciate the uniqueness.

I feel like the psyche suspense gods have heard our prayers. They know how tiresome the trope has become. They have sent some angels in the form of genius writers. Thank you. Thank you.

Now, let’s have some more please!

Thanks to Netgalley and the authors for letting me read this and post my honest review!
This is a cleverly crafted, deftly plotted book which will keep you on the edge of your seat. The idea is that we have a good side and a bad side. Lila definitely has a bad side, or rather a ruthless side which helps make her a determined, ambitious, competitive and sought out defense attorney. She helps guilty people walk away and she has made many bad choices in her life to get what she wants.
The book begins with a relative threatening Lila with karma when Stephanie's murdered sister's husband is found not guilty of murder, thanks to the work of Lila in the courtroom.
The book then alternates between Lila being held a prisoner and Lila carrying on with her life freely.
Can we change if we are forced to look at our own actions? Does the good triumph over the bad?
I love the way there are tiny details from both the 'free' and 'captured' chapters which link the two together. The events run parallel, kind of what would happen if Lila made this choice versus what would happen if Lila made a different choice. However, life is rarely that black and white and a person either totally good or completely bad which is why I guess those tiny details are such a clever way of linking different versions of the same person together.
The book encompasses so many moral concepts such as guilt, remorse, infidelity and forgiveness and how these attitudes guide us in the actions we take and the way our relationships are formed and played out.
The story was full of twists and shocking truths with some characters able to move on and others determined to make Lila pay.
In the captured version Lila is abducted. What we don't know is who by. It becomes clear why, she needs to make amends for all her past misdemeanours, but we are fed so many different possibilities by the author as to who the kidnapper is, that you simply cannot put the book down! And when the chapter reverts to the 'free' Lila we are able to follow her on her journey of self-awareness and atonement.
Is it too late in either of the versions of Lila Bennett's life or can Lila live to be the best version of herself?
An incredible ending.
You have GOT to read this book!
Thanks to the publisher, Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke and of course NetGalley for allowing me the opportunity to read this book.
I really enjoyed this book! I'd give it a 4.5, rather than a 4. I loved the 'sliding doors' format, slowly revealing new snippets of information each chapter. I was so convinced I knew 'who did it' - even right until almost the end I was like I know who it is....  but BAM, completely shocked me. Great read!
This was an interesting book with two plot lines.  The terrific prize is how the plots blend in together to make  an ending. Consequences and choices.  What if?
Many thanks to Lake Union Publishing and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Thank you to NetGalley, Simon & Schuster and Ms. K.A. Tucker for the opportunity to read this Advanced Readers Copy of "Say You Still Love Me".

This is the story of girl meets boy at summer camp.
Girl falls madly in love, a love that's bigger than a summer romance. Years later the girl is still pining for him.

Piper and Kyle were summer camp counsellors.
Piper now works at her dad's multimillion firm. After many years of no contact, Kyle shows up with a job in Piper's company.

Piper learns very quickly that her feelings for Kyle are as strong as ever... but what about his feelings for her?

This is a fun summer read that flips us back in time to summer camp days and forward to present day... where we find out the truth of first love, best friends and secrets that weren't best kept hidden!