The Two Lila Bennetts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Aug 2019

What a fabulous read. I was totally taken in by this story - I loved the way it was written and Lila was fascinating.

I highly recommend this book to lovers of psychological suspense, books that keep you guessing and stories that stay with you for months. I enjoyed this one so much.
Wow, what did I just read?    This is one I will be thinking about for a while.   I still have so many questions!   Lila Bennett, while fascinating, is probably one of my least favorite characters in a very long time.  Yet I still found myself invested in her and her story.    Highly entertaining, quick summer read!

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and the authors for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
What if for every choice two realities happen.  You decide to marry Tom, or you decide to marry Harry.  The split then occurs with a separate reality for each choice.  Taking from the multiverse theory proposed by Hugh Everett, Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke have created a stylish and clever novel.

Lila has made bad choices. She has let ambition drown her better self.  She has indulged her need for gratification at the expense of her husband.  She has begun to distance herself from her best friend.  Unsettled she does make a choice. To end an affair.  With this decision the parallel universe opens.
In one she is kidnapped, terrorized and trapped.  In another life seems to go on as before, or does it?

Gripping, and fast paced, this reader found it difficult to put down.  Look for a great summer read.

Highly recommended.
This was such a great book- it certainly surprised me. At first I was a little thrown off by the separate time lines but I loved it when they converged and I was definitely curious as to which was real. I certainly had a preference at times. Great twist- good book. I do recommend it!
First of all, thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.

This is the twisty thriller tale of Lila Bennett, a workaholic attorney who finds herself in a situation that so many people dread.
I really enjoyed the way that this story played out and how it was written with the "free" and "captured" alternations. I kept trying to guess how it would end, or how the story would end and I was still surprised at the ending.
I have been wanting to get back into my Kindle reading and having the opportunity to read this total page Turner really helped that.
If you want a great story, a fast read, a thriller/mystery that will keep you trying to guess at the ending. This is it.
The Two Lila Bennetts was a unique and interesting read. We start out learning about Lila's professional( she is a successful lawyer) and personal( not a very good wife, daughter, or friend) life, then the chapters alternate between Captured and Free. In one version( Captured), Lila is kidnapped and being held hostage by someone who knows quite a bit about her life. In the other version( Free), Lila's world is falling apart and her secrets and lies are revealed to the people she loves.
This was cleverly written and I flew through the chapters to see how these two timelines would come together. My first read by these authors and all I can say is it was an extremely entertaining beach read. I am intrigued enough to see what else they have written.
I received a DRC from Lake Union Publishing through NetGalley.
Lila Bennett is a defense lawyer who must defend her clients at all costs. But is this the best life she could have? The book takes a look at two alternative lives for Lila in the middle of her legal career. In one alternative, Lila is kidnapped and must face her past decisions, both good and bad in order to try to save her life. The other alternative lets Lila love her life but forces her to face the same past mistakes.

When I first met Lila she was a driven lawyer determined to “win” at all costs even if the win let a guilty client go free. She is so focused on herself she does not see the impact she is making. She is having an affair with her boss, who is also her best friends husband. She ignores her husband who is struggling personally. After a “win” where a suspected murder goes free Lila begins to question is she really “won” or got a guilty man acquitted. This is where the alternative lives begin. I loved watching Lila change throughout the story and feel in love with one alternative over the other, but I won’t spoil the book by telling! The story was a little hard to follow when it split into the two alternatives but it became clear quickly. Everyone should read and decide for yourself!
Unfortunately this book was not for me.  I did not finish it. I wanted to love it because there was alot of hype around it. I just found myself not really connecting with it.
Alot of people have loved this book. So I would definitely still suggest checking if out.
I received this book "The Two Lila Bennetts" from NetGalley and all opinions expressed are my own.  The choices you make really do make a difference. What if - what if you made the other choice? In the real world we do not know what if - there is no way to see what would have happened if we made "the other choice". I thought this book was amazing! I really loved it. Stayed up way too late reading lol. In this story you will find out "the what if" of Lila's life. Did she make the right choice? What would happen if she made the other choice?  Suspense! Interesting! A Must Read!
How much can one choice impact a life?

In The Two Lila Bennetts this question is explored by offering two alternate storylines simultaneously. Successful criminal defense attorney, Lila, has made some questionable decisions in work and in play. Some might call her ambitious, others selfish - She knows no bounds. In one story, Lila is taken and held hostage, forced to face a list of people she hurt in the past. In the other, Lila is caught making some of these bad decisions and must decide how to address them in order to move forward.

“Maybe all we are is a sum of our choices, each one leading us down a different path, each with its own unique outcome. The notion that each decision holds that much power is overwhelming, and I squeeze my eyes shut to shake the thought away.”

I loved the execution of this and enjoyed both of the storylines, which is not always the case for me in books with multiples. One thing I couldn’t help but notice though, due to its repetition, was the amount of times the book included “not unkindly” when referencing the tone a character used. There’s nothing wrong with this description but a change up (rudely, sharply, shortly, etc.) would have been nice. This is the first book I’ve read by duo Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke and I liked it.
A clever concept and an entertaining read which kept me turning the pages right till the end.  Lila Bennett is a very successful criminal defence lawyer who has made some questionable choices in her life. When those choices catch up with her, the book splits into two and the chapters alternate between a scenario whereby she is taken prisoner by someone who knows her secrets and forces her to confront them and another where she continues with her life but is being followed and blackmailed.

The construction of the book is very clever, and what could have resulted in a very disjointed book works incredibly well.  The character development is strong - Lila is both likeable and unlikeable, deeply flawed but somehow all the more interesting because of that.  It leaves the reader pondering on all those "what if" thoughts we all have at some point, evaluating the choices we have made in our own lives and the consequences on those around us.

Thank you to Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for an advance copy of this book.
So this was a tough one for me to review. I absolutely loved the buildup and suspense given in the dual plot lines. I guessed the person behind it all about 3/4 of the way in. However the dual plot lines did not really seem to cross over or were never explained well enough. I felt like the y were two separate things so it made it as though you really had no idea what was true, which some may like. For me, it didn’t appeal. The ending was just definitely anti climatic and left so much open. It was so suspenseful throughout and then it just ended, which left me needing more. This may be a hit for some, but for me, it left me unsatisfied.
What a super, clever thriller! Lila Bennett's life splits into two when she's forced to make an important decision. She's a criminal defense attorney who has not always done the right thing, but she has had a stellar career. Things that happened in the past may come back to cause Lila plenty of trouble. There are plenty of twists and turns that will leave you guessing and wondering who-dun-it. Each time I thought I might have a clue, I was surprised. It's a fast paced story so it would be a perfect beach read or book to read while traveling. Thank you to the authors and Lake Union Publishing for the advanced reader copy. All opinions are my own.
I absolutely loved this “Sliding Doors” concept. I was constantly trying to decide which reality was the real one. I mean, maybe it should be an easy decision when choosing between a captive situation vs a free one, but it wasn’t. This is easily my favorite of all Liz & Lisa’s Books thus far.
Solid 4.5 stars!

For every action, there is an equal, and opposite reaction. A butterfly effect.

This book is the story of Lila Bennett, told in dual story lines in a Sliding Door-type scenario.

In this case, the authors want you to see Lila as not a protagonist, but more of an antagonist. I don’t think you are supposed to really LIKE her, because, let’s face it – we learn she has done some not-so-likable things in her life to get her to where she is today.

And where is she today? It depends on which story line you are reading.

As the story unfolds, we see Lila face up to the realization that perhaps she has not lived her #bestlife; perhaps some of her choices had much deeper consequences than she thought they could have. Only through self-examination and reflection will Lila be truly free.
This book is fast-paced and original. Lila Bennett is not the most likable character. I mean she's self destructive and has made bad decision after bad decision her whole life. She's a superstar defense attorney who has betrayed every important person in her life - her husband and two best friends. Yet, I couldn't help loving her.

Lila's two alternating realities kept me turning the pages. I was in suspense up until the end wondering who it is that wanted to punish Lila and make her regret her ways. Given Lila's track record, it could have been anyone. There was a bit more emotional depth to this thriller than I would have expected as Lila contemplates the meaning of loyalty and forgiveness and what she needs to do to right her wrongs.
Such an interesting read! I was on the edge of my seat trying to figure this book out. I  really enjoyed seeing Lila have to face her mistakes and own up to them. I thought it was well written and a great summer read.
Lila Bennetts a lawyer with a prestigious firm that she's successful at. She's not very happy at the life choices she's made and begins to make some changes. It may be too late.
I didn't like Lila at the beginning. As the book progressed and she began to reflect she becomes much more likable. I figured out what was going on pretty quickly but that didn't stop me from finishing the book. It had me thinking about real law enforcement, criminals and even jurors. As a defence attorney how must it feel to defend a person you suspect is guilty? Would you represent someone you felt was guilty? Who's to blame for someone you feel is guilty being acquitted?
For fans of Gwyneth Paltrow's film Sliding Doors or those who loved the Choose Your Own Adventure books as kids, you’ll love this thriller from Fenton & Steinke. The Two Lila Bennetts juggles the question about the power that one decision can have over the rest of your life.

The reader gets to explore two parallel timelines based on each important decision Lila makes and how it ultimately will affect her future. The chapters alternate between “captured” and “free”, each focusing on what would happen based on her choices and behavior. This was a creative and clever take on suspense writing.

Although often morally questionable, Lila Bennett is the type of protagonist you still root for. Has she made some bad decisions? Yes. But haven’t we all? Her struggle to be good given the decisions she has made and the people she has hurt really humanized her characterization. Lila was both strong and weak, smart and self-destructive. She is who she is and I found it refreshing to see a woman so accepting of herself.

The plot was extremely well charted & unpredictable. I’m usually pretty good at guessing the twists and turns in thrillers, but this one kept me on my toes. I will say at the beginning it was tough getting into this writing pattern as the chapters ended quite abruptly. Once I got into the tempo of the writing style, the pages flew by. Overall, I thought this was another great read from this dynamic duo.
Lila Bennett is a high-powered defense attorney that has made a few bad decisions in her life and now those choices just might kill her.

I personally did not like Lila in this book I couldn’t stand her she drove me insane I couldn’t understand her as a person or the “choices “ she’s made . She literally annoyed the crap out of me . She has stepped on a lot of people’s toes and betrayed the people she supposedly loved and cared for the most .

I loved the suspense in this book “ who did it “ this book really kept me guessing . Just when I thought I had it figured out, there came another twist. The ending caught me completely off guard I was slightly disappointed of the ending didn’t expect it . However loved the concept of good/bad choices and how every decision you make has consequences .