The Two Lila Bennetts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Aug 2019

Such an interesting read! I was on the edge of my seat trying to figure this book out. I  really enjoyed seeing Lila have to face her mistakes and own up to them. I thought it was well written and a great summer read.
Lila Bennetts a lawyer with a prestigious firm that she's successful at. She's not very happy at the life choices she's made and begins to make some changes. It may be too late.
I didn't like Lila at the beginning. As the book progressed and she began to reflect she becomes much more likable. I figured out what was going on pretty quickly but that didn't stop me from finishing the book. It had me thinking about real law enforcement, criminals and even jurors. As a defence attorney how must it feel to defend a person you suspect is guilty? Would you represent someone you felt was guilty? Who's to blame for someone you feel is guilty being acquitted?
For fans of Gwyneth Paltrow's film Sliding Doors or those who loved the Choose Your Own Adventure books as kids, you’ll love this thriller from Fenton & Steinke. The Two Lila Bennetts juggles the question about the power that one decision can have over the rest of your life.

The reader gets to explore two parallel timelines based on each important decision Lila makes and how it ultimately will affect her future. The chapters alternate between “captured” and “free”, each focusing on what would happen based on her choices and behavior. This was a creative and clever take on suspense writing.

Although often morally questionable, Lila Bennett is the type of protagonist you still root for. Has she made some bad decisions? Yes. But haven’t we all? Her struggle to be good given the decisions she has made and the people she has hurt really humanized her characterization. Lila was both strong and weak, smart and self-destructive. She is who she is and I found it refreshing to see a woman so accepting of herself.

The plot was extremely well charted & unpredictable. I’m usually pretty good at guessing the twists and turns in thrillers, but this one kept me on my toes. I will say at the beginning it was tough getting into this writing pattern as the chapters ended quite abruptly. Once I got into the tempo of the writing style, the pages flew by. Overall, I thought this was another great read from this dynamic duo.
Lila Bennett is a high-powered defense attorney that has made a few bad decisions in her life and now those choices just might kill her.

I personally did not like Lila in this book I couldn’t stand her she drove me insane I couldn’t understand her as a person or the “choices “ she’s made . She literally annoyed the crap out of me . She has stepped on a lot of people’s toes and betrayed the people she supposedly loved and cared for the most .

I loved the suspense in this book “ who did it “ this book really kept me guessing . Just when I thought I had it figured out, there came another twist. The ending caught me completely off guard I was slightly disappointed of the ending didn’t expect it . However loved the concept of good/bad choices and how every decision you make has consequences .
OMG! This is their best book to date! It is SO hard to do a proper review in case I trip and give spoilers. The way they weaved in and out between the two Lilas made this a quick page-turner. I am so glad the authors came back together. I look forward to their next collaboration. If you only have time for one beach read, this is the one. Be sure to put on sun-screen!
Fans of Taylor Jenkins Reid's Maybe In Another Life will devour this one. I read it in a little over a day. The beginning sets the book up, and then it alternates between two different "lives". I enjoyed reading each section, and found myself bummed when I got to the second life, only to be sucked back into that timeline. The writing and structure of this one is flawless.

My only negative on this book is that I didn't like Lila at all, in either timeline. I really didn't care what happened to her either way, so I wasn't disappointed with either ending. If that was the intent, then it was well executed. I tend to sway more towards books where I at least tolerate the main character.

I received an advance copy. All thoughts are my own.
I had started and finished this book all within 24 hours of learning about it. The premise was fascinating to me. As someone with a degree (and passion) in Mathematics, I loved the Chaos Theory vibe this book was based on. What if one small detail completely changed the course of your life? We will see this firsthand with Lila Bennett who makes a decision in the first chapter and then her life breaks off into two for the remainder of the book. Each chapter (or day) is viewed by the reader twice, one for each path that was diverged in that decision. The reader learns things in one reality that impact the other and this is one heck of a ride. Kudos to this best friend writing duo for such an original book.
Liz and Lisa never disappoint! Everyone's actions and choices have consequences. Lila can go down either path, both with different outcomes. I love how they tell the outcome of either one she chooses, without the book being hard to follow or becoming confusing. I can't wait for the next book from the dynamic duo!
THE TWO LILA BENNETT’S by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke
I’ve enjoyed books by these two authors before but this one is nothing like those. This book was a huge WOW with lots of in between WOWS. I never expected this story. It is so well done that you won’t know what hit you. This was such a good book. From the very beginning to the explosive ending. Though I did figure out who was the bad person I still was surprised to actually read it. How could he...
Lila Bennett has it all. She’s a powerful attorney with a powerful law firm. She’s at the top of her game in all things. She’s married to the love of her life and has a best friend who can’t be beat. But was that enough? She has a mother who loves her unconditionally and always has. So why does Lila Bennett feel spit? What about her life is lacking?
This book will keep you guessing until the very end. It will have you turning pages so fast you won’t know what hit you. It’s definitely one that will have you going through ups and downs. You will love to hate Lila Bennett but you will also truly love her and feel so sorry for her. What she goes through in her life will have you rooting for her yet what she does to others will make you think maybe she deserves some of it. One part made me truly catch my breathe hard.
I cried, laughed, cringed, held my breath, crossed my fingers. Yes for her to make it I actually crossed my fingers. LOL This is one very well written thriller. A psychological thriller you won’t soon forget. It will keep you on the edge of your seat throughout the whole book.
Well written, great characters, just the right amount of a tearjerker and the perfect ending to both Lila Bennett’s stories. I absolutely loved this book.
Thank you #NetGalley and #Lake Union Publishing for the ARC of this book.
A huge 5 stars and would be more if possible. I highly, highly recommend this book.
The Two Lila Bennetts by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke

Brief Summary: Lila Bennett is a criminal defense attorney who has made a lot of bad choices in her career, friendships, and marriage. When her bad choices catch up to her; her life splits into two. In one she is captured by someone she presumably wronged and in the other she lives out her decisions. She better figure out who is out to get her because she is literally fighting for her life This is my third read of Liz and Lisa’s and I eagerly anticipated this novel.

Highlights: This is the type of brilliantly written, schedule clearing domestic thriller that I live for. I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. I enjoyed the twists and turns and was ultimately surprised by the ending.

What makes this book unique?: Most thrillers are written to entertain and impress up with brilliant twists. Some involve moral dilemmas or provocative issues. It is rare to find one that moves beyond this to make me think about how I live my life and the choices I’ve made like this one did. This one aims to teach readers some real life lessons.

Explanation of Rating: 5/5 This book has all the elements I love. This is one of the best thrillers I’ve read this year. I’m trying not to give too much away in this review because you definitely want to go in with little information.

Psychology Factors: Of note, the author nails the experience of having a spouse struggling with depression. In particular, Lila’s helplessness is spot on. Her husband is the type of client I would have enjoyed working with in psychotherapy. I only wish that Lila might have given more thought about how to get him treatment help of some type.

This is a must read for thriller enthusiasts, psychological thriller enthusiasts, book clubs, and one of my top recommendations for a summer vacation read.

I bought this book for myself to support these ladies’ brilliant work. With the kindle sales running on it I recommend you do the same. I’m already looking forward to the next read from these two!

Thank you to Net Galley and Lake Union Publishing for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review
Excellent psychological thriller!  It moved at a fast pace with twists and turns throughout!  Well-developed characters and plot.  Highly recommend!
The format and premise of this book was fantastic! It reminded me of Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Because each chapter switched between "taken" and "free" you could NOT put this book down!! Sometimes you'd get clues to the "other life" in the opposite chapter--which also makes you want to keep reading! Several chapters ended on cliffhangers too--and then switched to the other chapter. It was such a well crafted, masterpiece of a book!

That being said, I did not like Lila as a character. She made bad choice after bad choice and told lies every opportunity she had. But she did evolve throughout the book and she did grow on me a little. It's best to go into this book knowing as little as possible so I won't say too much more about the book--other than it's definitely an excellent, fast past thrill of a read! Liz and Lisa never disappoint!
I thoroughly enjoyed The Two Lila Bennetts by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke. It is the story of Lila Bennett, a criminal defense attorney with questionable morals. The chapters are told in alternating worlds, one where Lila is captured by someone determined to destroy her. The other one is where she is free and questioning her own decisions. Which one is real and what will happen in both? You will have to read this book to find out. Thank you to Net Galley, the authors,  and the publisher for the advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Oh how I love it when Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke have a new book out. They write like they can see into each other's minds and their stories never cease to amaze me. Even though I knew who the kidnapper was I didn't know why or to what extent the reason was...and it didn't take anything away from enjoying this book.

This is a wonderfully constructed, plot driven, novel. I found this story(ies?) an entertaining and thought provoking read . If you are looking for deep character development and a beautiful literary writing style, look no further. If you want a read that not only leaves you thinking about the dynamics of working women, relationships, friendships and a whole host of deeper issues, this is a must read.

The story line(s) kept me enthralled right through to the end of book. The characters are so well developed I felt that I knew them personally and even though I didn't like most of them I really wanted to know what made them tick. This was the third book I've read by Fenton and Steinke and I so look forward to reading more by this wonderful writing team.
The Two Lila Bennetts by @lisaandliz is a wild ride. I love the Sliding Doors concept and have really liked other books that have used this well, The Versions of Us and TJR's Maybe in a Different Life. This was the first book I've read with this style as a thriller, and it was such a fun read that has you questioning each outcome!

Synopsis: Lila Bennett is a successful criminal defense attorney who has just made one decision that splits into two very different outcomes. In one life, Lila is taken hostage by someone who appears to be a stranger but knows too much. In an alternate life, she eludes her captor but is hunted by someone who is exposing her secrets.

Review: I did figure out who the person behind the kidnapping/stalking was about midway through but it was still really fun to see how this played out and that did not detract from the story at all for me! I loved how the chapters switched from captured and freed and loved how different pieces were revealed and connected in both sections. This is one of those books that will have you staying up late to read just one more chapter!
I finished this book a couple of days ago and wanted to sit with it before I attempted to review it.  I've never read a "sliding doors" type book, it is my understanding this book is of that type.  I loved the premise of one of the storylines and the premise of the second storyline was o,k. The overall premise of how one leads their life can and most times does affect their future seemed realistic.  Given all that, I didn't like how it all came together in this book.

I have read all of Liz and Lisa's prior books and loved everyone of them, but this one just left me wondering what I missed.  When dual timelines really became a thing a few years back I was left feeling the same way about that, and now I love dual timelines.  I think I just had to get used to a new concept of reading (dual timelines) and I feel the same with with this also.

The authors developed the characters sufficiently and they all felt real, the storylines felt real, but for me it would have been better as two separate books.  I know I am in the minority and I wish I wasn't.  I did enjoy how the authors tied the two storylines together with deja vu several times and I liked how the book ended.  I'm going to chalk this up to me not being familiar with these types of alternate storylines as I believe the authors have written a good book.
This is the 3rd book I've read of theirs and they did it again!!  I loved this book so much!!  I love how they hook me in the Prologue and then I'm in it for the ride!!  I suggest watching Sliding Doors before you read it.  You will love it even more!!
“The Two Lila Bennetts” is an engrossing, clever novel, told in alternating chapters by the title characters. The book explores the choices we make and their consequences, told in two wildly different ways. It’s an intelligent read, and it stays with you long after the book is finished in a way few books do, which is why this is a 5 star novel. A different kind of thriller, but deeply thought-provoking and a genuine page turner. A perfect book club novel with lots to discuss. Highly, highly recommended, kudos to authors @lizandlisa

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher through @NetGalley in return for an honest review
This was not my first book by the pair Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke, I feel The Two Lila Bennetts is going to put them in a whole new class of writers.  They have outdone themselves with this tale.  Having two writers to tell this story, I believe made this all the more better.

The story begins with Lila Bennett a high-powered defense attorney winning a murder trial.  There is a lot of hard feelings on this one, especially from the defendant’s sister-in-law, Stephanie.  What happens can be best compared to a “Sliding Doors” story but a ton darker.  To celebrate she has a choice to make to have drinks with her boss, who she happens to be having an affair with or go home to her devoted husband.  The choice will change the trajectory of her life.  From then on you follow two stories, the 1st, Lila getting kidnapped; the 2nd, everything that occurs if she goes home to her husband.  I will let you in on one secret, both scenarios will forever change her life.  I do not want to say much more as it gives away the majority of the plot lines.

Both story lines were well developed, and I had a vested interest in both paths.  Lila has made questionable choices in her life, but how she goes redeeming herself in both scenarios, is what makes this so enjoyable.  Probably all of us have made bad decisions, this book will make you think about these, on a scale x100.

Excellent read, truly enjoyed this one.  I did not want to put this down at all.  Terrific beach read or really just anytime read.

Thank you NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for an Advanced Reader’s copy of this book for an honest review.
I am a big fan of this writing duo so I was eagerly looking forward to their new book. I think this was their best book yet! This book is a take on the movie Sliding Doors which I have actually never seen. Lila Bennett is an aggressive and successful defence attorney. She is relentless with her work and very careless with her private life. Some of Lila’s decisions come back to haunt her. The book is told in dual timelines as Lila’s life is split off. We follow the Good Lila and the Bad Lila. It is interesting to see how lives would be different depending on the decisions we make. I don’t want to give too much away and spoil any plot points. The book is so well written and I was engaged from beginning to end. I highly recommend you try this one out. The unique writing format will keep you guessing how it all will end.