Cover Image: Postcards for a Songbird

Postcards for a Songbird

I... genuinely don't know what to make of this book. It wasn't bad, but something just doesn't sit well with me after finishing it. It wasn't what I expected, and it felt a bit pretentious. Maybe pretentious is too harsh, actually. It just felt... it felt as though it was doing so much that it detracted from the story. I couldn't really grasp onto the characters and the plot well enough because the flowery prose and the metaphor dripping from each page were distracting. I was pleasantly surprised by bits of the plot, and I liked Wren's growth throughout the story. Overall, as mentioned, this book wasn't bad. I just don't know whether I really enjoyed it or not.
I generally enjoyed this book and I think the story was good. The prose was a little to flowery for my liking. There were too many metaphors and it kind of confused the story a little bit and detracted from the plot at some points which was a shame.
Wren is a young woman filled with emptiness, fears, and promises that remained in the air. With a very low self esteem and a sense that she’s cursed. She believes that all the people around her at some point in her life end up leaving her behind and that this must be because she’s not worth it.

She has resigned herself to the fact that her life is like this, a complete loneliness and inertia. More to get carried away than to actually live. But she can’t take any more losses, more people who give up her live and leave her without what little hope she had left.

A feeling that gives you wings and hope

When Luca breaks into her life, all her fears only increase, but at the same time love appears and with this, the courage and thrust she lacked until the moment. Her life takes on color and she gets a huge urge to jump walls and break barriers. And she starts looking for answers to the questions she’s been asking herself all her life.

Wren is a character I liked very much from the beginning. So lacking in love and so full of sensitivity and contradictions. She seeks to be loved, she needs love but at the same time she shuns it for fear of finding it and losing it again. She’s always the different one and the weird one, wherever she is. The one that goes so unnoticed that you barely notice it and everyone forgets it’s there. She’s such a special character and she’s given me such grief and tenderness.

A life full of emptiness and absences

Wren feels that in his life there is only pain and abandonment, so one day she starts asking questions. She needs certainties, roots, people to somehow link her to reality and get her out of her inner world of imaginary friends. She needs to somehow mend that dysfunctional family that keeps cracking with every passing day.

Written in short chapters that change topic quickly and with some varied characters that I really liked, of which Olga is the one that surprised me the most. She’s the woman who’s always looked after Wren and her sister while the father was working. She is a woman who hardly notices and with few and few interventions throughout the novel, but who nevertheless plays a very important and even determining role I would say.

From Postcards for a Songbird I really liked the cover and premise of which the novel starts, however I did not expect it to develop in this way and it has disappointed me a bit. Everything happens between the present and Wren’s memories with her sister. In some moments the plot stagnated, in others it advanced but I had difficulty discerning which part was real and which fruit of the imagination of the protagonist. And although in the end it all takes its place and is very well explained, I had a lot of things left over or maybe I did not like how they are counted.

From my point of view, this is clearly a novel for young people so it counts and from the way the author tells it, I don’t think the message reaches all kinds of audiences the same.
Thank you to Netgalley for providing an arc in exchange for an honest review.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to connect with this and dnfed it at 25%.
Thank you Publisher and NetGalley for the early copy.

I did not connect with the writing style/plot and decided to put it down.
I read this book between December 23rd and December 25th, 2019 and gave it four stars. I'll spoil this review a bit and say I'd totally planned on giving it five stars, but there was one detail towards the end that made me change my rating. It was silly, but not silly enough for me to let go of.

This is the story of Wren, whose mom left when she was a baby and whose sister and best friend Lizzie, just recently left as well. At the beginning of the book, we see that Wren is clearly overcome by absence, and her dad is so worried about her that he thinks it would be best for her to go live with her aunt in another city. The whole deal about the sibling who left gave me Where Things Come Back vibes at first, but as I keep thinking about it, it's more like Paper Hearts by Ali Novak, since Lizzie left the house voluntarily and, as we discover, starts sending Wren postcards, hence the title of the story.

Wren's dad is a police officer who works nights, so we don't see those characters interacting much. We can see the effort he makes to have her kid live a "normal" life despite everything that's happened to them. I really liked him as a character and I thought that we could witness a bit of development in his relationship with Wren. The plot twist I didn't appreciate has to do with him and I honestly think his whole character was ruined by it.

The story takes place during the summer, and what we read about is Wren inadvertently taking her life back and in a way moving on from the burden of her mom and her sister. She starts realizing that there is a world outside of the bubble she and Lizzie used to live in, and that leads her to meet an amazing group of people. Besides that, she starts texting her next-door neighbor, a boy who cannot leave the house because he's super sick and afraid of everything. Don't worry, they don't fall in love, although there is some romance.

One of the characters is physically abused by her father, so trigger warning for that. Overall, this is an emotionally charged story, and though we see growth and there are happy moments, it might not be the best choice for someone suffering from depression. To me, this book did what Jandy Nelson failed to do with I'll Give You the Sun, which I didn't really like.
I didn´t really love this one. I was hoping to like it better than I did. Unfortunately it didn´t work for me.
This book is one of the reads I had high hopes for, mainly because the cover and the blurb seemed like the usual reads I go for.

Okay. Postcards for a Songbird was promising but it had over flowery prose and too much literary embellishment that my reading experience felt very lost. Metaphors are all around the story that it can be very confusing what the author wants to happen, what is real and what is not.

The side characters were likeable but it is hard to escape that the plot is so slow it is almost not there. The book is trying to be a heavily emotional one but I unfortunately felt nothing and no connection to the main character at all.

At the end, all I can say is the book was an okay read. Not for me but can be perfect for somebody.
The cover is adorable! The book was a bit slow for me but the characters were great and because of that I was invested!
I really hoped to enjoy this book because it sounded so interesting, but I disliked the writing style too much.
I received a copy of this in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley.

I really wanted to love this book.    I did like it, but some parts just fell flat.
the characters are easy to like.    I just wish there was a little more depth.
I loved how imaginative this book is. It is beautifully written and the idea of finding yourself, or in this case, finding your aura is a beautiful message. Thank you NetGalley for providing me a digital copy of this book.
I really didn't like this as much as I thought I would. The premise was good but the writing just wasn't for me.
This was my first book by this author, It was pretty enjoyable. I would give this book a 3.5 star rating! It was a pretty Quick and easy read!
If your favoured reading material is a novel with a good sprinkling of self-discovery, identity, love, friendship, depression and abandonment, then feel free to read this great book by Rebekah Crane - Postcards for a Songbird.

The book was really big surprise, but as this was my first novel by Rebekah, I had no particular expectations, either great or otherwise.

The writing style was absolutely unique and I found myself enjoying the story immensely, loving the colourful metaphors and figures of speech, even the moments where it felt just a little too flowery. I did find that the timeline wasn't working too well for me and I suffered some confusion with this. Whilst I generally enjoy books that switch between the past and the present, there were occasions when memories were not denoted well enough to differentiate them from others. Those occurrences took me out of the book for long enough making this a little less of an enjoyable reading experience than it could have been.

The story was about finding out who you really are and who, or what you want to be. The characters felt so deeply and were certainly both funny and unique. They were well portrayed and the pacing of the book was spot on. Though this story didn’t instantly stir my soul, as I read, the more intrigued I became and Postcards for a Songbird was well worth the time invested. Overall, this was a really interesting story with some unexpected turns and there were a lot of things to enjoy about it.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Skyscape via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
I wouldn’t say my favourite YA is Contemporary. If I had to make a list and rank all the genres it would be at the bottom. Only reason being is that a Contemporary YA read really has to captivate me. This one did an amazing job since I read the entire thing in a day! When I saw that it was 40+ chapters I thought it would’ve taken a few days but nope!

Everyone eventually leaves Wren Plumley. First it was her mother, then her best friend, and then her sister. Now living with only her cop father and her upended dreams, Wren feels stranded, like a songbird falling in a storm.

When Wilder, a sickly housebound teen, moves in next door, Wren finally finds what she’s always wanted—a person who can’t leave. But a chance meeting with Luca, the talkative, crush-worthy boy in her driver’s ed class, has Wren wondering if maybe she’s too quick to push people away. Soon, Wren finds herself caught between the safety of a friendship and a love worth fighting for.

Wren starts to dream again. But when postcards begin arriving from her sister, Wren must ultimately confront why her mother left fourteen years before and why her sister followed in her footsteps. For her new life to take flight, Wren will have to reconcile the heartbreaking beauty of lost dreams and the beautiful heartbreak of her new reality.

Thank you to NetGalley who approved my request and to the publishers, Skyscrape who provided an ebook copy of this beautiful book! I adore the bright cover!

One thing that I loved the most about this book was that it took place over an entire summer. At the start, I admit, it took me a few chapters to really get into but once I was in…I couldn’t stop. You’d think forty plus chapters, that it’ll drag or something but I flew through the story. It was well-paced for a Contemporary. The little mysteries that it held with Wilder (the boy next door), her mother and sister as well as dad too! He’s underappreciated, I don’t know why but I loved yet pitied the dad. It’s rare to find understanding parents in YA books who get along with their kids.

The father is a huge contribution to the story. Even though Wren doesn’t see her dad a lot since he takes the graveyard shift and sleeps in the day, there’s a lot of monologue and blame put on him when her mother and sister leaves. Wren is a perculiar main character. Her ‘thing’ is seeing people’s aura from first impressions. At first I thought it was just a plot device but it made her see light in Luca and the similarities he held with her sister, Lily.

Luca and Wren bond over summer with meeting at the grocery store and driving lessons. Their relationship is adorable and unproblematic. I have to give it to the author, she focused on the family. Yes, Wren’s friends were there most of the time but the author kept the story on track. Luca was a skater boy who at first seemed weird but he becomes so likable that I frowned whenever he wasn’t in a chapter.

The side characters like Baby Girl and Leai were great subplots. Baby Girl was close to Lily and eventually filled the space of becoming Wren’s older sister. Leai was unusual but quirky which made all these characters unique!

I can’t say much about Lily and their mother without giving spoilers. The title of this book really comes into play when Lily sends Songbird a.k.a Wren postcards. The mystery among all the usuallness that’s happening over summer. While Wren is slowly moving on, there’s still a reminder of her life. Not just from the postcards but from her dad not being around, plenty of flashbacks of her sister and little things about her mother mentioned.

I really enjoyed this book. The writing was deep and instantly drew me in where I couldn’t even sleep! This has to be my Contemporary read of the year. I’m proud to give it five stars for originality, pacing and writing style.
I read this book in two sittings only because I had to leave my house and go to the library. From the very beginning of the book I was sucked into the story and became very invested really quick. I felt so bad for the main character and found it odd that she referred to her dad as Chief, but after getting further into the book we find out truly why she refers to him that way instead of dad. My heart was breaking every time the main character got a postcard from Songbird because I felt as if she was longing for her mother but, she was just out of reach. When her so called best friend’s true colors came out I was rooting for the main character to come out on top and she definitely did! One of my favorite books of the year and everyone needs to read this book.
One thing I hate in books is overly flowery language and purple prose. It is pretentious, overdramatic and often doesn’t work because authors don’t know how to do it without their work sounding like an English creative writing assignment. Unfortunately, this book was no different. It was trying to be something it wasn’t and ended up just sounding confusing and unnecessarily wordy. The actual story was alright but nothing much happened and all it seemed to have going for it was the purple prose, which didn’t end up working for me. While I did like the characters of Wren and Wilder, I didn’t really see why I was being told their story.
I don't feel especially strongly about this book. There were a few plot twists that I predicted. There were things I feared might happen, directions that Crane didn't take much to my relief. But I get annoyed by romance being the impetus for change, love being the only thing that can convince this girl to make changes in her life.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was a lovely book. Wren was a character you could easily connect with. I loved the interactions/banter between her and Luca. I loved that she eventually found she had this little group of friends to rely on. This was a thoroughly enjoyable book that I would recommend to anyone who likes the sound of the blurb.