Cover Image: Postcards for a Songbird

Postcards for a Songbird

I DNF'ed this book at 60%. At the beginning the story felt unique and the prose was really lovely. By the time I was halfway through, that magic in the prose had worn off as it had started to feel dry and overused. I would even say forced. The story itself also moved at a snail's pace, and I couldn't understand anyone's motivations, either because they didn't feel genuine, or they were described poorly through the ambivalent prose. All of this is a shame because I very much wanted to like this book.
Wren is always the one left behind.  Her sister is the last of a line of people that have left her behind after she leaves their childhood home to find their mother that she thought abandoned her as a child.  She is quirky and eccentric and is definitely a force to be reckoned once she sets her mind on something.  In this book, she seeks to overcome her solitude and to find out where she fits into the world.  This book has so many colorful characters and was just such a great joy to read.  Thanks for the ARC, NetGalley.
This book wasn’t for me and I did not finish, it wasn't what I expected and I got stuck at the beginning of the book.
So first off... WHAT A BEAUTIFUL COVER! Not gonna lie I definitely judge a book/pick up a book based on its cover.
The story itself was written beautifully. I loved following Wrens story and found it relatable to myself in my teen years but I found the story itself to be paced a little slower than I would have liked. This was definitely a feel good light read that I enjoyed and the pacing is a personal preference (I normally read fantasy or adventure books) but it was a nice change of pace.
I really liked Rebekah Crane’s lyrical way of writing prose. I’ve read some reviews on Goodreads that found the flowery style to be unnecessary and distracting, but I enjoyed reading through all of the imagery Crane used to paint Wren’s story. It fit. I loved the thoughts of having auras, colors surrounding people, and the way Wren has a landscape painted in her room. Even when she described the casserole her dad makes that no one ever eats, it grounded me in Wren’s world. These added to the story, showing her monotonous lifestyle while also giving her something to dream in.

There wasn’t much of a plot for the majority of the story, which was fine. I’ve read books that didn’t have strong plots (this one in particular comes to mind), and I still enjoyed them. Toward the end, the plot starts to come into being, but before that, it’s a little confusing.

The romance was so cute! Luca was happy and bright, like sunshine, adventurous, and he spoke his mind without a care. He was the complete opposite of Wilder, who reminded me a bit of myself. Wilder’s goal was to stay safe at all costs, and to keep Wren safe too. His personality was a sharp contrast to his name – Wilder really didn’t care for adventure. He feared it, and wanted Wren to feel the same to avoid more abandonment. His personality reminded me of my own fears and how they hold me back from pursuing what I want. It was eye-opening, especially since I’m don’t do a lot of personal reflection on improving my well-being. (Sad but true.)

All in all, this was a sweet story emphasizing finding oneself, not letting fear hold you back, and accepting who you are and what you can become. Postcards For A Songbird is happy-sad and hits the right notes for a story with Summery vibes and hopeful dreams.
I... genuinely don't know what to make of this book. It wasn't bad, but something just doesn't sit well with me after finishing it. It wasn't what I expected, and it felt a bit pretentious. Maybe pretentious is too harsh, actually. It just felt... it felt as though it was doing so much that it detracted from the story. I couldn't really grasp onto the characters and the plot well enough because the flowery prose and the metaphor dripping from each page were distracting. I was pleasantly surprised by bits of the plot, and I liked Wren's growth throughout the story. Overall, as mentioned, this book wasn't bad. I just don't know whether I really enjoyed it or not.
I generally enjoyed this book and I think the story was good. The prose was a little to flowery for my liking. There were too many metaphors and it kind of confused the story a little bit and detracted from the plot at some points which was a shame.
Wren is a young woman filled with emptiness, fears, and promises that remained in the air. With a very low self esteem and a sense that she’s cursed. She believes that all the people around her at some point in her life end up leaving her behind and that this must be because she’s not worth it.

She has resigned herself to the fact that her life is like this, a complete loneliness and inertia. More to get carried away than to actually live. But she can’t take any more losses, more people who give up her live and leave her without what little hope she had left.

A feeling that gives you wings and hope

When Luca breaks into her life, all her fears only increase, but at the same time love appears and with this, the courage and thrust she lacked until the moment. Her life takes on color and she gets a huge urge to jump walls and break barriers. And she starts looking for answers to the questions she’s been asking herself all her life.

Wren is a character I liked very much from the beginning. So lacking in love and so full of sensitivity and contradictions. She seeks to be loved, she needs love but at the same time she shuns it for fear of finding it and losing it again. She’s always the different one and the weird one, wherever she is. The one that goes so unnoticed that you barely notice it and everyone forgets it’s there. She’s such a special character and she’s given me such grief and tenderness.

A life full of emptiness and absences

Wren feels that in his life there is only pain and abandonment, so one day she starts asking questions. She needs certainties, roots, people to somehow link her to reality and get her out of her inner world of imaginary friends. She needs to somehow mend that dysfunctional family that keeps cracking with every passing day.

Written in short chapters that change topic quickly and with some varied characters that I really liked, of which Olga is the one that surprised me the most. She’s the woman who’s always looked after Wren and her sister while the father was working. She is a woman who hardly notices and with few and few interventions throughout the novel, but who nevertheless plays a very important and even determining role I would say.

From Postcards for a Songbird I really liked the cover and premise of which the novel starts, however I did not expect it to develop in this way and it has disappointed me a bit. Everything happens between the present and Wren’s memories with her sister. In some moments the plot stagnated, in others it advanced but I had difficulty discerning which part was real and which fruit of the imagination of the protagonist. And although in the end it all takes its place and is very well explained, I had a lot of things left over or maybe I did not like how they are counted.

From my point of view, this is clearly a novel for young people so it counts and from the way the author tells it, I don’t think the message reaches all kinds of audiences the same.
Thank you to Netgalley for providing an arc in exchange for an honest review.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to connect with this and dnfed it at 25%.
Thank you Publisher and NetGalley for the early copy.

I did not connect with the writing style/plot and decided to put it down.
I read this book between December 23rd and December 25th, 2019 and gave it four stars. I'll spoil this review a bit and say I'd totally planned on giving it five stars, but there was one detail towards the end that made me change my rating. It was silly, but not silly enough for me to let go of.

This is the story of Wren, whose mom left when she was a baby and whose sister and best friend Lizzie, just recently left as well. At the beginning of the book, we see that Wren is clearly overcome by absence, and her dad is so worried about her that he thinks it would be best for her to go live with her aunt in another city. The whole deal about the sibling who left gave me Where Things Come Back vibes at first, but as I keep thinking about it, it's more like Paper Hearts by Ali Novak, since Lizzie left the house voluntarily and, as we discover, starts sending Wren postcards, hence the title of the story.

Wren's dad is a police officer who works nights, so we don't see those characters interacting much. We can see the effort he makes to have her kid live a "normal" life despite everything that's happened to them. I really liked him as a character and I thought that we could witness a bit of development in his relationship with Wren. The plot twist I didn't appreciate has to do with him and I honestly think his whole character was ruined by it.

The story takes place during the summer, and what we read about is Wren inadvertently taking her life back and in a way moving on from the burden of her mom and her sister. She starts realizing that there is a world outside of the bubble she and Lizzie used to live in, and that leads her to meet an amazing group of people. Besides that, she starts texting her next-door neighbor, a boy who cannot leave the house because he's super sick and afraid of everything. Don't worry, they don't fall in love, although there is some romance.

One of the characters is physically abused by her father, so trigger warning for that. Overall, this is an emotionally charged story, and though we see growth and there are happy moments, it might not be the best choice for someone suffering from depression. To me, this book did what Jandy Nelson failed to do with I'll Give You the Sun, which I didn't really like.
I didn´t really love this one. I was hoping to like it better than I did. Unfortunately it didn´t work for me.
This book is one of the reads I had high hopes for, mainly because the cover and the blurb seemed like the usual reads I go for.

Okay. Postcards for a Songbird was promising but it had over flowery prose and too much literary embellishment that my reading experience felt very lost. Metaphors are all around the story that it can be very confusing what the author wants to happen, what is real and what is not.

The side characters were likeable but it is hard to escape that the plot is so slow it is almost not there. The book is trying to be a heavily emotional one but I unfortunately felt nothing and no connection to the main character at all.

At the end, all I can say is the book was an okay read. Not for me but can be perfect for somebody.
The cover is adorable! The book was a bit slow for me but the characters were great and because of that I was invested!
I really hoped to enjoy this book because it sounded so interesting, but I disliked the writing style too much.
I received a copy of this in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley.

I really wanted to love this book.    I did like it, but some parts just fell flat.
the characters are easy to like.    I just wish there was a little more depth.
I loved how imaginative this book is. It is beautifully written and the idea of finding yourself, or in this case, finding your aura is a beautiful message. Thank you NetGalley for providing me a digital copy of this book.
I really didn't like this as much as I thought I would. The premise was good but the writing just wasn't for me.
This was my first book by this author, It was pretty enjoyable. I would give this book a 3.5 star rating! It was a pretty Quick and easy read!
If your favoured reading material is a novel with a good sprinkling of self-discovery, identity, love, friendship, depression and abandonment, then feel free to read this great book by Rebekah Crane - Postcards for a Songbird.

The book was really big surprise, but as this was my first novel by Rebekah, I had no particular expectations, either great or otherwise.

The writing style was absolutely unique and I found myself enjoying the story immensely, loving the colourful metaphors and figures of speech, even the moments where it felt just a little too flowery. I did find that the timeline wasn't working too well for me and I suffered some confusion with this. Whilst I generally enjoy books that switch between the past and the present, there were occasions when memories were not denoted well enough to differentiate them from others. Those occurrences took me out of the book for long enough making this a little less of an enjoyable reading experience than it could have been.

The story was about finding out who you really are and who, or what you want to be. The characters felt so deeply and were certainly both funny and unique. They were well portrayed and the pacing of the book was spot on. Though this story didn’t instantly stir my soul, as I read, the more intrigued I became and Postcards for a Songbird was well worth the time invested. Overall, this was a really interesting story with some unexpected turns and there were a lot of things to enjoy about it.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Skyscape via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.