Cover Image: One Night at the Lake

One Night at the Lake

So this book goes back and forth between Leah (7 years ago) and June (current day.) We know something happened to Leah 7 years ago at the lake, and now June is engaged to the same guy Leah was back then. The thing is, we don’t find out what actually happens until about 80-85% into the book. And to me, it was sort of a huge lead up to a bunch of nothing. There was a twist, but it wasn’t a shocking twist. And I was starting to get bored with the story. To me there is an ick factor of the weird little love triangle. I did like Leah and June as characters, but it wasn’t enough for me to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

Bottom Line: Meh, I would skip this one.

**I received a copy of Little Secrets from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are of my own.**
Bethany Chase is one of my favorite writers and this book I had been waiting for, a long time! Its a really compelling story that will keep you guessing!
Mostly chick lit, part mystery about a girl who dies at the lake and the summer her best friend revisits the lake with her fiancé.
I found this novel very predictable and I simply couldn’t get sufficiently involved.

Thank you Netgalley for giving me this book.
Thank you Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine, Ballantine Books and Net Galley for the ARC.

I enjoyed this book. I liked that it told the story from two different perspectives. I wondered throughout the whole book about the One Night at the Lake and the story kept my attention (and up past my bedtime one night as I got close to the end and needed to know how it ended. Check it out...
I've been a fan of Bethany Chase's since her first book, The One That Got Away so I eagerly scoop up anything she releases. Chase continues to explore themes of complicated relationships and friendships, his time adding a mystery.

Chase has split the story into two timelines. The first with Leah that happened seven years ago and the second with her best friend, June which happens seven years later. In the past, Leah and Ollie have been dating for years and they're the couple that most people envy. Sickeningly cute, he's so perfect, she' so vibrant ... yada yada yada. Things seem so perfect that Leah is convinced he will propose during their upcoming trip to his family's place on Seneca Lake. She also invites June to accompany them for the week since she's broken up with her latest boyfriend and best friends don't leave their BFFs alone. Seven years later, June is now engaged to Ollie and dreads the return to Seneca Lake for another family get together. At this point not much is known as to why and how it's June and Ollie and not Leah and Ollie but we know that Leah hasn't been in the picture since the last visit. What happened is slowly revealed as the week at the lake in both the past and present slowly wears on. In both timelines everything starts out fine. It's a typical holiday with lots of fun and and lakeside shenanigans. Then the pressure sets in and little by little this perfect picture of happiness and contentment starts to become fractured.

Firstly, I purposefully didn't read the blurb too closely so I was not expecting the time jump and couple switch. I literally gasped when I realized June was now with Ollie. I did have a hard time at first reconciling that they were a couple in the future. It felt disloyal and disingenuous to Leah. But I think that's what I was supposed to feel without knowing all the specifics and come on, I wanted the gossip. Secondly, this mystery is my kind of catnip. I loved the suspense and how details gradually emerged via Leah and June's recollections and observations. The timeline flip flop was genius! It gave me the sense that I was there in the thick of things. There's something alluring about being a reader who knows that something foreboding is close at hand when reading it in real time (Leah's POV). June's timeline is all about reconciling the past with the present, and her guilt over moving on with her life which includes Ollie. There's so much baggage in that relationship that's been ignored; this trip will undoubtedly force them to finally unpack all of that. The contrast between the two trips to the lake couldn't be more apparent - the first starts out joyous and second one is just pure dread. (By the way, Leah's timeline does have a few possible triggers which I will list below. They could be spoilery so consider yourself warned.)

I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting but I was definitely surprised by how everything played out. Chase crafted a story that steadily escalated in tension, especially during June's POV as she began to fit in the missing pieces of their last time at the lake with Leah. I had not anticipated the ending as I let my imagination run wild with all sorts of possibilities but it was still shocking. One Night at the Lake is something different from Chase and I say if you're in for some mystery, good storytelling and a close examination of friendships, you'll be pleased with this one.

~ Bel
I had really high hopes for this one. From the synopsis, it sounded dark, mysterious & heartwrenching, Unfortunately, I just couldn't get invested in the story. I set it down and tried again a few months later. Well, this one is just not for me. Thanks for the opportunity to be an early reader.
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview this ARC of One Night at the Lake by Bethany Chase.

June and Leah are best friends, and after June leaves an unpleasant relationship, Leah invites her to the lake house of her boyfriend Ollie.  Leah is so hopeful that this trip will be the one where Ollie finally pops the question, because after four years of dating, she is ready.

Fast forward to a few years later.  Leah has passed away and June and Ollie are now together.  Forever racked with guilt over falling in love with Leah's boyfriend, June is desperate to get to the bottom of what really happened on the night that Leah died,  or was killed?

It took me a minute to get into this one.  It was almost as though the "voices" of the two women were too similar.  Ollie Ollie Ollie.  So I was constantly tasked with who was who.  However, by about halfway, I became much more hooked and interested in the story.  I enjoyed the ending.
*Thanks to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for the ARC!*

This book was a miss for me.

Like others have said in their reviews, neither of the main characters is likable, and that really impacted my whole experience with the book. The writing starts out snappy and really good, but I felt like it went downhill about a quarter of the way in.

Also, in terms of the story, it was just fine. It didn't feel relatable, so that alongside not liking the characters (but also not full out hating them) was challenging.
I absolutely love stories with alternative viewpoints with 2 characters.  2 women in love with same man, This book made me wanting more.  I love Bethanys novels!
I have been impressed with everything Bethany Chase has written so far, and One Night at the Lake has become my favorite of her novels.

This novel was really well-written and thought out. Bethany had great characterizations, along with strong attention to detail, genuine dialogue, powerful levels of emotion, and the use of setting and season to bring the story to life. I loved reading about June and Leah's friendship, as well as June's present relationship with Ollie. One part of the story brought back a memory of a conversation from a long time ago. I didn't want to relive that memory, but it was nice to know that I wasn't the only one to experience it.

I liked the alternating perspectives, but it would have helped to put a time frame at the beginning of each chapter that June narrated. It also would have been good to go back to see her perspective during the summer of the incident, instead of only in the present. I would have liked to see Ollie's perspective, as well.

Overall, I thought Bethany did a great job with this novel and I hope she will publish another one soon!

Movie casting ideas:
Leah: Daniela Bobadilla
June: Maya Erskine
Ollie: Aaron Tveit
Terrance: Donald Glover
Caleb: Charlie Hunnam
First, I would like to thank Ballantine Books publishing and NetGalley for providing me with a free Kindle ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

I finished this book three months ago. Three whole months. Somehow, it slipped my mind to write the review.

I was completely swept away by this novel. There was so much emotion that poured out of each of the characters. The book is written on two timelines, alternating with each chapter: when Leah visited the lake with Ollie, and seven years later. From the beginning, we quickly realize that Leah died at the lake, and seven years later, her best friend June is struggling with the emotional toll of taking a visit to this dreaded location with Ollie, who is now HER boyfriend. She is flooded with guilt for loving Ollie and living the life that she believes Leah should have lived. As we alternate between timelines, the tension builds. How did Leah die? How will June and Ollie’s relationship recover after revisiting their tragic past? Did Ollie’s brother have any involvement in Leah’s death? This book was very emotional, and I cried along with the characters. I lost my best friend last year, so I felt a lot of empathy for June. I would highly recommend this book and will likely purchase a print copy so that I, too, can revisit the lake.

#netgalley #onenightatthelake
Leah is sure her boyfriend Ollie is going to propose during the 4th of July/his mother’s birthday celebration at the family’s house on Seneca Lake.  Her best friend June has just suffered a breakup, so Leah invites her along.
A week at the lake is just what Leah needs.  The rest, relaxation, and the water.  June finds a semi-relationship with neighbor Terrence, much to Leah’s excitement, and Ollie’s discomfort.  As the week progresses, issues between Ollie’s brother Caleb cause issues between everyone.  One fateful evening, during the midst of all the turmoil, Leah goes into the lake and comes out dead.
Seven years later, June and Ollie are engaged to be married and are returning to the lake for the first time together.  Being there brings back so many memories, and revelations.  Can June and Ollie’s relationship survive the week, or is the week at the lake going to take another victim?
I really enjoyed this book, however, I felt bad for Leah.  Even though she is gone, her best friend and her boyfriend have found love with each other, that appears to supersede his feelings for Leah.  I feel like Leah already lost so much, and as if she was just a holding spot for something better.  However, the storyline, told in a back and forth narrative between present day June, and past day Leah, flowed into a story that kept me wanting more.
I rate this story as 4 stars and would recommend it to anyone who likes reading mystery-type stories.
I received an electronic ARC of this story in exchange for an honest review.  It has in no way impact my opinion of this story.
I loved this story and it's alternating point of view. Part of the story is told from the perspective of Leah, girlfriend of Ollie who is finally going to his family's lake house and believes Ollie might pop the question that weekend. She brings with her friend, June. The other part of the book is told from June's perspective; June is Ollie's fiance revisiting the lake house years after a tragic event. The rest of the story is filled in as you continue reading. The story kept me entertained as I read; I wanted to figure out how June became Ollie's fiance and what kind of funny business took place in between the two narrator's accounts of that fateful weekend.
This was an intriguing story. I liked hearing the voice of both June and Leah in alternating chapters. It was so interesting how they became friends and how much they shared with each other. But due to the nature of loss in this book it was.a little hard to read.  But I was definitely sucked in wondering what had happened and why it was such a big secret.

I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley. This is my honest opinion.
Told in duel timelines. A story about two women in love with the same man seven years apart. Compelling and I enjoyed it. Great summer read.
Dawnny-BookGypsy
Novels N Latte Review
Novels N Latte Book Club
Hudson Valley NY
The manner in which this book is written is exceptional.  I wasn't sure what to expect from reading merely the summary, but I was thoroughly engaged and literally could not put this one down.  I have since read several other books by Chase and her writing style is just superb.  This story offers a wonderful progression that leaves no detail left unnoticed and tells a wonderful story very much different than the way you think it is going to go upon first glance.  Because it is so creatively developed, I am sure this will engage even the most reluctant of readers.  I completely recommend this without reservation and am certain it will be very high on many favorite books of 2019 lists!
This was a story of love, friendship, death and heartbreak.  It is told from the perspective of two women. I was completely drawn into the lives of the characters, and how one night at the lake changed everything.
Many thanks to Random House and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
When Leah Tessaro heads to Seneca Lake in Western New York with her boyfriend Ollie for the 4th of July, she's hoping he will propose. They've been together for four years, and she's madly in love. Leah's best friend, June Kang, joins them on the vacation. Instead, something happens and Leah doesn't survive the trip. Seven years later, June and Ollie are headed back to Seneca Lake. It's June's first trip in seven years and she's hoping Ollie, her fiance, can make the trip a little easier. The lake and Ollie's family home are haunted by memories of Leah.

This was an interesting read that I enjoyed more than I thought I would. It's told between alternating timeline and narrators--we get Leah, seven years ago, telling us the story leading up to her death, and then June, in present-time, as she deals with being back again at Seneca Lake and Ollie's house.

"I hate it like I have never hated anything else on earth. And now I have to go back."

Tension basically oozes from June's every pore, but we don't learn what happened to Leah for most of the book, except that occurred at the lake seven years ago. I usually find that trope a bit annoying, but it wound up working here, as I got caught up in the story and the characters.

You definitely had to get past the slight ick factor of this odd threesome--first Leah and Ollie--now June and Ollie--but it's basically the book's entire premise, and I think it's dealt with fairly well. This is a character-driven novel at its core, though there is the tension and the mystery swirling as to what happened to Leah. Throw in Ollie's troublesome stepbrother and June's past love, and you've got plenty of characters to keep the story interesting and moving.

Overall, I found this to a be a surprisingly enjoyable read. It's easy to find yourself lost in the story, wondering what happened to Leah and how Ollie and June found each other again (they retreated to separate coasts after Leah's death). It's emotional and serious, but sweet too and a strong story of love and friendship. 3.75 stars.
First this is not a thriller. It’s women’s fiction. The only reason I finished the book is I wanted to know how Leah died.. But sadly I did not care for her character. She was annoying and. I found myself skimming her chapters. June and Ollie were a bit more interesting to me. This was 2.75⭐️ for me.