The Better Sister

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Apr 2019

3.5 Stars, rounded up

Another domestic mystery/thriller from Alafair Burke (The Wife) that’s full of twists and turns.
A man is murdered in his East Hampton beach house causing two estranged sisters – the dead man’s wife and his ex-wife –to come together to try and stop their son from going to prison for the murder. That alone is intense! However interesting the premise may be, it fell a little short. I wanted a bigger twist at the end and more about the sisters strained relationship.

Overall, The Better Sister is an okay read but it seems like the book market is being flooded with domestic thrillers (or maybe I’ve just read too many lately).

Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins Publishers for providing me with an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview this ARC of The Better Sister by Alafair Burke.

Chloe, a feminist author for a well known publication, seems to have everything.  A high powered attorney husband, and teen step son.  Life isn't perfect, but it definitely seems to be on the outside.  But truth surfaces when her husband, Adam, turns up murdered, with everyone looking at her step son, Ethan, as the main suspect.  The real kicker?  Adam was previously married to Chloe's sister, Nicky.  And Nicky is Ethan's biological mother.

This is a fast paced domestic drama with lots of intrigue.  It's readable, exciting, and the characters are well written.  My only complaint is how overdone it felt at times.  I'm sure that there are cases where people have married their ex-spouse's sibling, but c'mon.  It was a bit messy.
Chloe found happiness with Adam and his young son, Ethan. To the outside world, they were the picture perfect family of three. But all families have secrets, some of which are hidden in plain sight.

When Chloe finds Adam murdered in their beach house, she is horrified when the police suspect her stepson as the prime suspect. For Ethan, Chloe is forced to reunite with Adam's ex-wife and Ethan's biological mother, who happens to be Chloe's estranged sister, Nicole. Did Ethan kill Adam? Can the ADA prove his case with no weapon? As the secrets unravel, the more tarnished Chloe's world becomes...

Thank you Netgalley, Alafair Burke and Harper Collins for sharing this twisted novel in exchange for a review. I enjoyed this book so much! It was one of those books that was hard to put down. It is filled with twists and turns that leave you breathless until the very end.
3 ½ stars

Chloe  is a successful editor ,  married to her sister Nicky’s ex-husband Adam, stepmother to her nephew Ethan, and estranged from her sister. Now Nicky and Chloe are forced to come together after Adam is murdered and Ethan is the prime suspect. When  the sisters finally reconnect they are forced to confront their past to prove Ethan’s innocence and secrets come tumbling out

The Better sister by Alafair Burke is a domestic thriller which starts off strong with Adam’s murder.A little slow in the middle it picks up pace later with the courtroom drama and with some twists and turns in the end , some of which I wasn’t expecting made it an interesting read.

I would like to thank Harper Collins & NetGalley for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest and fair review.
This is the second book I’ve read by Alafair Burke, and she’s turning out to be a favorite of mine in the domestic thriller/suspense genre. I loved “The Wife” and I’m looking forward to reading “The Ex” which I purchased and is on my to be read list.
I thought the story was unique about two estranged sisters, Chloe the good sister that is an over achiever and college educated. And Nicky, the bad sister that is troubled and has drug and alcohol abuse problems. Both sisters were at one time married to Adam. From the very beginning the story took off with a bang and sucked me right in and kept my attention throughout the book. It was an unusual story line that held my attention. I loved how the author leads you down a path and slowly reveals information as the story unfolded. Including a surprise ending I didn’t see coming. Loaded with drama, including some courtroom drama, which I haven’t read for a long time and really enjoy. Good writing and story. I really liked this book and look forward to future books from this author.
I Highly recommend The Better Sister to anyone who enjoys a good domestic thriller/suspense book. I read this book, and purchased the audible version so when I couldn't read, I could listen to it being read to me. I recommend both versions.
*A very special thank you to HarperCollins via NetGalley for the advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review* I also purchased my own audible version*
I loved Alafair Burke’s book The Wife, and here she’s written another great domestic thriller. One of the best in this genre of which there are so many.
Loved the twists in this book! I felt like I was able to guess a few and then a couple took me by surprise. I also enjoyed the multi-faceted two main characters.
Two sisters reunite when Adam -- current husband of the younger sister and ex-husband of the older sister -- is murdered and his son is accused of the crime. Entertaining enough to read through but nothing special..
This was an ideal read for my vacation. It was a fast, easy read and the story is engrossing from the first page to the last. It's a family drama, and while I found most of the characters unlikeable, it worked.

Despite enjoying this read, I must say I take issue to how it addresses domestic violence. It felt glossed over, which was disappointing. It was a major part of the plot yet didn't seem to be taken as seriously as it should have.

It's worth reading, especially if you like a twisty thriller.

Many thanks to NetGalley for my advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
I really enjoy this authors writing style. The Better Sister is definitely an engrossing yet disturbing domestic thriller. I look forward to reading more by this author, never disappointed.
Very intriguing beginning, but it somehow lost me a bit along the way.

This is a decent domestic thriller probably best suited for people who haven't read too many but have an interest. Having read them quite often, some parts were a bit too messy for me. It didn't quite lead up to the synopsis.
The beginning of this book I was disappointed because it was resembling a book that I had recently dnf'd but thankfully it made a sharp right turn and got a lot better. The reason I didn't like the beginning is because the author, Burke, heavily took from current events, which is fine by itself, but when page after page is the the main character, Claire,  thinking all these thoughts about current events and no actual story building is being done it got to be annoying. What Claire does is an important part of the story but it is not necessary to spend so much time on just building up her character when the author would have been better off building up the relationships that she has with the people around her. We know from the synopsis that Claire's husband, Adam, is murdered but we don't get to see much of their relationship before that happens. Which, if I had a choice in how the author started this book I would much rather they spent their time on Claire and Adam and not Claire and all the amazingness that she has done with her magazine.

Once the story really got going though it was a fantastic thriller. There were a lot of twists and turns and I loved watching the story unfold. If thrillers aren't a favorite genre of yours then you might find some of the plot overdone with all the different reveals. For someone like me, who loves mysteries and thrillers, than this will be a fun adventure for you.

I also really enjoyed the pacing of this book. This book would jump forward in time at different plot points and I really felt like it kept the book from getting too stale. It also helped it to feel more realistic since everything wasn't happening in the span of a few days. Burke also did a great job of balancing all the drama and different storylines that were happening. We know going into it that their is obviously some drama with Claire and her sister and I liked how their relationship unfolded throughout the story. Going between the drama between them, the mystery of who killed Adam and Claire trying to deal with the police and social media kept me engaged in the story.

Overall, this was a really well done thriller/mystery and I highly recommend that anyone who enjoys this genre check this book out. If you like Law & Order: SVU I also think that you would like this book. It follows the basic narrative of the episodes where there is a crime, the police investigate and then there is a court case. Also, I know I spent some time talking about how I didn't really like the beginning but the rest of the book more than made up for that.
This book lured me in with an intriguing premise. When Chloe's finds her husband murdered, and her son is charged with the crime, she must come face to face with his first wife, her own sister, to solve the crime. I expected a page turning physiological thriller and ended up with a slow and steady court drama. It was interesting and well-plotted, but I felt it was missing character development and a mysterious edge. Fans of Mary Higgins Clark, Danielle Steele, and James Patterson may enjoy The Better Sister.
I very much enjoyed this twisted domestic thriller that kept me wondering whodunit throughout the whole book. I really liked the pacing and the suspense and I look forward to reading the next book by this author.
Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Collins for an advance read of this novel.  I love Alafair Burke, and this was no exception.  This one was particularly sad, in a way, because it involved sisters, their bond, and how it can sometimes be broken.  When it comes down to life or death, they reunite to save "their" son, accused of the murder of his father.  Chloe has been writing about the #metoo movement, but she hides a secret that could change everything.
I remember reading The Ex and felt mentally drained from the twists and turns. It was quite a ride and after that, I became a fan of this authors. The summary draws you in and you feel ready to dive in, however, this story took awhile to "get there". While I appreciated the topics when you finally did "get there", I'm not sure I was vested with the protagonist of the story. The upside was that if you are a fan of this authors, the twists and turns did not disappoint.

Chloe lives an ideal, picture perfect life. She has a beautiful family and a successful career. Her career as an Editor propels her to a celebrity status as she is an advocate for women's voices who have been abused. Chloe loves her stepson whose mom is her sister that she has been estranged from since he was a baby. The three are reunited when they learn Chloe's husband, Adam, has been killed in their home. Chloe has an airtight alibi, but her son, Ethan, does not. Chloe's sister, Nicky, is staying with her to protect her son and try to strengthen the bond they used to have. Chloe does not want her there, but she knows the attention on her son is serious and she needs all the reinforcements she can get to get through an event that will change all of them.

The three are put to the test as their secrets are exposed and Chloe's perfect life is crumbling. Time is running out and the two sisters must find a way to save Ethan and their strategy to find another suspect is a hunch that leads to a big reveal.

I liked the story because it had a similar intensity of her other books, but I did not feel connected with the main character and I should have given the storyline. The supporting characters add a strong layer that does keep you engaged, especially, Nicky. You're curious of her relationship with Adam and why it failed and why she struggled and why she was estranged from her own son. Was she the Better Sister?
I was drawn right into this novel from the very beginning. It had that catch that just makes you go hmmmmm….. (I won’t spoil it)

Chloe Taylor is the editor of a women’s magazine that has added to the MeToo movement with ThemToo. She is bright, successful. She is married to Adam, a prominent Manhattan lawyer and they are raising Ethan. Like everything else in life, all is not what it seems. Adam was once married to Chloe’s older sister Nicky and Ethan  is her child with Adam. Chloe stepped in when Nicky seemed to be losing it and Adam begged for her help. All these years later, Ethan is Chloe’s son. Everything seems perfect in their world, if you don’t count the nastiest tweets and posts about Chloe online, and then, Adam is murdered. When Ethan is accused of the crime, the sisters will do everything and anything to clear him.

There was so much that I did not expect to be happening and was quite surprised. The story worked so well with the way of the world and social media. We do get so involved in what is being said about us and others. Chloe’s addiction to it was so understandable. The nastiness that was written, I have actually seen other’s write. It is heartbreaking, really. I loved how the relationship between the sisters evolved. There were some times that I felt it was taking a bit too long to to get to where it was going, but it got there and I was all in.

Alafair Burke is one of the best mystery/suspense/thriller writers writing today and I look forward to what comes next. You really cannot go wrong with one of her books.

Thanks to Netgalley and Harper Collins for a copy of this book.
If you love a book with mystery, secrets, dysfunctional families, and drama, then this is the book for you. This was a twisty, enthralling, edge-of-the-cliff read.
Chloe’s husband is murdered and her stepson is the prime suspect.  To help her stepson she needs to let his mother(who is her sister and husbands ex wife) back into her life. Mind blowing right?
Many thanks to Harper Collins Publishers and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
I’ll admit it took me some time to review this title as I struggled to get into this story whenever I picked up my physical copy. Upon release, I finally took the plunge with the audio. The first part of this novel failed heavily to grasp my full attention, but by Part II it really started picking up the pace and by the end of this book I fully understood and appreciated all the information that had been tossed in my direction at the start.

The latter half of this novel I enjoyed the most and came as quite the surprise. It wasn’t until the courtroom drama unfolded that I was engrossed in this story. I for one am a huge fan of police procedural/legal thrillers, so, couple that with a domestic drama and I am allllll in. I’ve said this in my past reviews, but Alafair’s legal inclusions always scores high for me. She yet again brings her extensive legal knowledge to the table delivering a descriptive court proceeding without offering an overload of details,. And, as always, Alafair walks her reader through this court procedure in layman’s terms holding true to her background as a law professor. The legal drama saved this read for me was I’d consider it to be the most thrilling and entertaining part of this story.

Many of the elements of this novel mirror that of Alafair’s last publication, THE WIFE, but what it lacked for me was the heart pounding suspense and twists that I loved in her other works. Not to say that the murder mystery contained here was anything short of unexpected, but it failed to provide that scratch your head, ‘whoa I totally didn’t see that coming’ conclusion that I’ve come to expect. I will say that I always admire Alafair’s delivery and her manipulation of a story makes these twists difficult to solve. Her writing style is one of the reasons I continue and will continue to pick up her novels because there is no denying her books are always smartly written and full of intrigue.

I would consider this to be a mild domestic thriller that burned slowly. This is a solid and well-written novel that I wouldn’t suggest anyone passes on, but it’s not one that sat with me long after I finished it.
I really love this author's writing style and always look forward to her next book.  This one though was not my favorite of hers.  The story was slow and not very exciting and twisty.