The Right Swipe

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Aug 2019

Apparently I'm a fan of prickly heroine and teddy bear hero set ups because this was just what I needed and a perfect way (in my opinion) to get hooked on a new to me author! Rhi is a bad@$$ boss b!+(h and I'm so here for it, as is Samson - the sweet, sexy Samoan giant of my dreams. I adored this twist on a second chance romance, as well as all of the family dynamics, friendships, and dating-app world intrigue. It was so good to see empowered, intelligent women in a modern and realistic (or at least seemingly) setting, the relevant commentary and connection to the #metoo movement AND CTE. I do think that Samson may have been a bit too much of a pushover at times, but I can get over that really easily. The Right Swipe is smart, emotional, clever, and sexy and I can not wait to get the story on Rhi's brother now that I know his HEA and I hope we get books for Lakshmi and Katrina too! 4 out of 5 wine glasses.
Rhiannon and Samson are working rival dating app companies, but they have a history.  Samson wants back in her life after he left her hanging months ago. Will Rhiannon give him a second chance or will she protect her heart at all cost?

The story itself was entertaining.  It's told from both Rhi's and Samson's perspectives. They were fun and easy to like. Also the side characters were hilarious!

I appreciate the author giving focus to brain injuries during sports and the importance of being treated properly.  Recovery from brain injures is slow-going and extremely restrictive as far as what you can do,  especially with everyday things like readin
DNF @ 22%

First DNF of 2020, and I’m so sad about it! I just feel like this book is too business-oriented. I don’t really care about the ins and outs of their internet dating platforms. The main characters just had a whole debate on a talk show about whose platform is better, and I’m just bored with it. There’s been no romance so far. Nothing funny has happened. I’m tired of listening to Rhi hate Samson. I’m not attached to either character... It’s all so meh to me.
***Thank you to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for providing an ARC for me to leave an honest review of.***

"Rhiannon Hunter worshipped at the alter of no man".  This opening line had me hooked from the first page.  I love that Rhi is a smart, industrious woman of color that decides to develop a dating app that is geared towards real interactions as opposed to casual hook-ups.  I have never dated online but this was well written and gave me a pretty good understanding of what it must be like.  It was spot on with what my friends have described to me about it.  I think the chemistry between Rhi and Sam is hot, hot, hot and I am so here for it.

I can't wait to see what happens in book 2 of this new series.
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a free ARC of this novel. Regardless of the way I acquired the novel, the thoughts, opinions, and views stated in this review are completely unbiased and one hundred percent my own.

This is my last ARC that I have already read, and then forgot to review. I’m officially caught up! In that sense at least…

I didn’t love this novel the first time around, and I think I finally pinpointed why: the villain of this story matches a villain in my own story. Initially, I think I was so jarred by the comparison that I couldn’t focus on anything else. I’m very thankful that I decided to read this story for a second time, and focus more on our main characters.

Rhi is crazy smart, intelligent, and successful. She doesn’t fail in what she pursues, despite her existing PTSD and anxiety from the aforementioned villain. Her counterpart, Samson, is an unintentional hero for standing up for better sports medicine and concussion research.

It has been really wonderful to see romance novels infuse such meaningful topics into their characters worlds. This novel had a positive display of boundaries, consent, and an interesting discussion on ethics in the workplace.

I thought this book could have been shorted and still packed the appropriate social and romantic punch. Despite the length, the chemistry between Rhi and Samson never dimmed. I absolutely adored that we had this famously retired football player who didn’t know how to date women, but was smooth as butter when it came to the one woman he was actually interested in.

I admired how strong Rhi was portrayed as a business woman, as an employer, and as a friend. Part of her journey through this novel is learning how to depend on others, and when to lean on her friends or family for help. It was a good reminder that even your strongest friends need to be checked in on.

The chemistry and the discourse in this novel were very enjoyable. I just wish it had been edited down a bit more. I think a shorter novel, with the same outcome, may have had more of an impact during the finale.
3.5/5
A fun modern read, I thought this book excelled in setting up a great romance in the digital age. It will definitely resonate with today's audience.
Oh, this was really delightful? Not necessarily my favorite tropes but Rhi was such a badass heroine and I loved how sweet and supportive Samson was.
Alisha Rai consistently brings us great stories, great characters, etc. This isn't my all-time favorite of hers but it's a solid read. Really interesting story and the characters are well done. Very modern romance. I really liked it!
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advance copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first book by Alisha Rai that I’ve read and it’s making me want to read her backlist. I loved the writing style and the diversity in this book. While the storyline wasn’t wholly original with other romance books coming out this year about women running dating apps, I did love the second chance romance and forced proximity in this book. Rhi and Samson were both characters who immediately came to life once I started the book and I couldn’t help being drawn into their story. I’m really looking forward to seeing how the rest of the characters we were introduced to in this book fare with the subsequent books in the series.
I have liked some of Rai's writing in the past, but this one was a bit of a slog for me. I didn't love the main characters and I didn't feel like they spent enough time together for the reader to be convinced of their love. I also just didn't love the writing. It was somewhat saccharine and hard to get into the flow of. Not for me.
I was really looking forward to this book. The cover and my desire to do nail art for it really drove my want for this book. I did receive an ebook arc for it but ended up listening to the audio instead.

Along with Samson's personal experiences with CTE, I found the online dating aspects in this story really interesting. I applaud all the people who are making a go at dating in this age of online dating.
I wasn't really into Rhiannon and Samson's relationship. I didn't feel the chemistry between them as much as I thought I would. Samson was lacking in flaws while Rhiannon was fighting against hers. It always says something when I enjoy the relationship between the MCs and their friends more than the romantic relationship between the MCs themselves.
Overall, the book was fine, but I just felt like I needed more from the two MCs in the way of love and like. I do plan to read the rest of the series as I am looking forward to Katrina's story.
This. Was cute.
Alisha Rai is good.
So thrilled there's another coming.

These folks have issues, but they're genuinely good humans and fun and quirky and I like them. Especially Aunt Annabelle, because meddling, eccentric aunts in romance is a trope that I am here for.
I wasn't a fan of The Right Swipe. I understood where Alisha Rai was trying to go with Rhiannon, her being a woman of color in a male dominated industry, but she was so cold the entire book that I never felt like I connected with her.  Her coldness kind of overshadowed everything else in the book. I would've loved so much more from Samson, but Rhi and her stuff just kind of stole the show. I am going to keep an eye out for the next book though. Fingers crossed it gets better.
I seriously loved this book! It's been a while since I've read a really good romance that I could just sink into and enjoy but this book hit the spot. And it had some downright sexy moments without falling into the cliche scenes I remember from romances in my youth (still love them but boy did they make me laugh). Rhi as a character was a little frustrating because she was so stubborn and set in her isolated ways but she was also relatable, especially after I learned more of her backstory (trust issues made sooooooo much sense once everything about her ex got explained), but I also liked that she had some bad, set-in habits because it made her realistic as a person. I loved Samson though at times he was almost a little too perfect. Together both of them were sweet and sexy and really funny and lovely to root for. This was one of those books where I talked back to the book a lot, arguing with the characters when they were trying to avoid admitting their feelings for one another, cheering them on, etc. I also liked a lot of the secondary characters. Katrina and Lakshmi were especially fun and a good support network for Rhi, Annabelle was the sweetest and most insightful lady ever who I just wanted to hang out with, and Samson's friends were by turns hilarious and sweet. At first I thought Rhi's ex was going to be a somewhat laughable villain, just a generic dude bro who was a jerk and condescending and whatnot, but he was actually properly scary at times, which made me love Rhi all the more when she stood up to him and held her own. If was awesome to see her gain back some of the power he had stolen from her during their relationship. I also loved that the conclusion of the book wasn't necessarily as easily wrapped up and pat as I expected at first, that there was one last bit of drama to cause one last almost disaster with Rhi and Samson (drama that definitely made me want to smack Rhi upside the head, but still it was relatable). It made the actual conclusion and HEA all the sweeter knowing that they had both worked through some issues (thanks to solid advice from both Belle and Rhi's brother) before they got their heads on straight. All in all, this was an awesome modern romance that left me wanting more from Rai (and lucky for me, her next book in this series is available soon!)

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me access to an advanced copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for an advance copy of The Right Swipe.  I was excited to visit with Rhiannon again after first meeting her in another series by the author.  She is a no-nonsense, right in your face, successful AF lady boss.  And then I got sad because I had a hard time connecting with her at first.  Her rigidity, her relentlessness, her cool demeanor.  And then I began to learn more about WHO she was as a person and her history and it all made sense.  I loved her relationship with her BFF and I loved watching Samson honest to god woo the hell out of her.  I think she stayed true to herself while letting her walls down just a little.  And I 1000% loved the way the villain of the story got EVERYTHING they deserved and more.  Really hoping to see Katrina and Lakshmi in future installments.
I love stories that feature main characters who are really good at their jobs - especially when those characters are female and POC. I really enjoyed the slow burn between these characters, and look forward to more in the series.
Following Alisha Rai on social media, I presumed that this would be a very sex-positive story with a woman having a strong sense of her own agency. And it is. Rhiannon is smart and independent, courageous enough to leave her old start up and create her own company. What I didn't expect was an exploration of the NFL's not so dirty little secret - the consequence traumatic brain injuries - through the hero, Samson. Ironically, I thought that was the better part of the story.

This story has been promoted as a romcom, and there are certainly those elements, but it lacks the light-heartedness I would expect from a romantic comedy. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great contemporary romance that incorporates the struggles of modern romance, but more serious than I expected.
This book was so quirky and fun.

If you're in the mood for a quick, romcom read? This book is totally the book for you.

Set in modern day times, Rhiannon is a CEO of a dating app company. She meets Samson who is a former NFL linebacker. He is now the face of another dating app company that Rhiannon has interest in purchasing. They each have a complicated past. Rhiannon's ex boyfriend harassed her out of her previous employment and Samson's poor family had to deal with the effects of CTE post playing football.

Struggling to deal with their own outside issues of the past, the two develop a fun, silly, understanding friendship with its benefits that eventually develops into true love with a near perfect match!

Thank you NetGalley and HarperCollins for allowing me to read this lovely quick read in exchange for honest review.
Rhi Hunter is CEO of the popular dating app Crush.  She’s got her sights set on another dating business, Bumble.  Rhi is shocked when the current face of Bumble is the man who ghosted her, former football player Samson Lima.  It was all one big misunderstanding and Samson is more than ready to clear things up.

Samson apologizes and wants a second chance.  Rhi has been hurt before, and she is still carrying the baggage from her previous relationships, so she’s hesitant, and questions whether she can trust him.  However, they grow closer as Rhi makes her pitch to acquire Bumble, from the woman who happens to his aunt.

I wish I like this book than I did.  This is a book I should have enjoyed.  Rhi was a strong female lead, and Samson was a vulnerable likeable male lead.  It was a modern romance, it included current events such as CTE, Met Too, women in tech, and women of color in tech, but still, I didn’t enjoy it when it was all over.
Thank you to the publisher for sending this to me in exchange for my honest review!

This was surprisingly my first book from Alisha Rai and it definitely won’t be my last! I completely ADORED this story!! It was fast paced, addictive and such a fun enemies to lovers romance! It was sexy and smart with a HEADSTRONG female lead!

First, the representation is so important!! I loved it!! Especially in this day and age, this type of romance is important to read! I loved how even though it was a romantic comedy, it stayed realistic in a way! It was perfect for this story and had a great balance. Not only does it tackle real issues, it’s also a bit of a sports romance with the main hero being a FOOTBALL PLAYER! I can’t even being to tell you how many times he made me swoon. He was so SWEET and had my heart melting!

The ANGST in this book had me aching for these two to be together and let me tell you, these two EARNED their happily ever after! Rhi was a badass and I loved how she didn’t make it easy, although I will say towards the end I was getting a bit frustrated with her. I loved her so much but I just wanted them to be happy! These two had to work towards the ending they deserve and it was a rollercoaster!! Even though there was a lot of that “push-pull” this book is filled with so much heart and sweet moments as well. It’s witty and fun and everything you would expect from the synopsis and cover!

I’m very excited for more from this series and to circle back and read more of Alisha Rais books!