Cover Image: We Are the Gardeners

We Are the Gardeners

Enjoyed this book. Kept me interested all the way through. Would recommend to a fellow reader.  Love the cover.
This was very cute and obviously family-oriented.  This might be something to read with your kids as a nice bedtime story.
** Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with the digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest review **

Unlike when we overwatered, zero plants die from us talking too much.

uh oh, this is so cute i might wanna start gardening myself when i have the chance!! every step is easy to follow for dummies like me. i've lived in a household where gardening was a part of our everyday life so reading this book brought out bittersweet memories.

actual rating: 4.2/5 ⭐️
Oh, the illustrations and beautiful life lessons in this book! This will be a favorite for years to come!
I love this book and so does my child (5). It is a fun read and at the same time full of wise life lessons to be discussed. Definately a recommentation.
Adorable book, written from the point of view of the kids. Teaches them persistence through having first a single plant and then growing a garden. Lovely illustrations show the family planning and then tending to their garden. Explains lots about plants and growing in a way that is easy for kids to understand.
Sweet illustrations accompany educational text. A great read for the budding gardener in your family.
I, like many people, love Joanna Gaines and the show Fixer Upper. My daughter, who is 6 is a huge fan of the show too and was excited when I told her I had this book to read to her. I love the illustrations and the story of the kids parking together to grow and care for plants and how it started with a fern and grew into the family building and caring for a garden together. Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for the ARC.
This is not an especially artful picture book. The message is laid out there on the surface. And there aren't any characters in any meaningful way. The kids are there but they don't have personalities or even names. As a group they form a single entity. The narrative answers an unasked question: why do you garden.
This children’s book is fantastic! The story, the lessons, the illustrations, all combine to make We Are the Gardeners a perfect gift for a special child in your life or even an adult! I gave my pregnant sister a copy for Mother’s Day, and she was blown away. Even my 60-something father read it and was delighted by how it teaches the reader solid gardening practices within a charming tale of family. Plus, if you’re a fan of Chip and Joanna Gaines, Magnolia, and HGTV’s Fixer Upper, this book is another wonderful addition to their products!
A simple story of a family learning to garden, interwoven with good life lessons about not giving up. The illustrations add a colorful whimsy to the book. If you're wanting to inspire your kids to garden, this book is a good read.
Sweet book! Love the illustrations, and of course who doesn’t 💗 the Gaines family? Offers a novice look at gardening.
Have purchased for our church library.
This is a sweet little picture book about a family that falls in love with growing plants and eventually grows a successful garden, after some missteps.

The artwork is my favorite part of the book. The illustrations are lovely. The text is a little long to hold the attention of some children, and a little unnecessarily wordy. It's lacking in the really good story telling of great children's authors. The author is a famous reality TV personality, and I'm guessing the book deal was because of that following, though it is still a sweet story.

This would be a good bedtime story when you want it to run on a little ways and make kids sleepy or when it's nice to cuddle up and take some time to get through a book. It also has a nice lesson about persevering and offers some little gardening lessons (like if everybody waters a plant every day you'll accidentally kill it).

My rating system:
1 = disliked it
2 = it was okay
3 = liked it
4 = really liked it
5 = love it, plan to purchase or would buy it again if it was lost

I read a temporary digital ARC of the book for the purpose of review.
I love Joanna & Chip Gaines. I’ve watched every episode of Fixer Upper so many times it’s embarrassing to admit the actual number. I own many, many, many things from their Target line, Hearth & Hand. I, also, own all of their books.

But.

Even I, Fixer Upper Superfan, have been feeling a little hesitant about all of the new ventures the Gaines family keeps finding themselves in. So, honestly, I came to this book as a bit of a skeptic. Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised.

First off, the illustrations are ADORABLE. I would love to see Julianna’s illustrations in as many books as possible! And, I loved that the story itself was told from the perspective of the kids. While cute and fun to look at, in general, ‘Gardeners’ was also an excellent resource on how one goes about starting a garden with the reader’s own mom or dad.

All in all, I would highly recommend this book – especially if your child is showing any interest in doing a little bit of gardening or even just about how things grow. Otherwise, the book may not be able to keep their attention. Though, for me, it’s worth the money for the illustrations alone.

Thank You to Thomas Nelson Publishing and NetGalley for this digital copy to read and review!
Lovely book. I didn't expect to like it so much. I love how it show failures and perseverance in growing their garden. I also enjoyed the connection to their growing family. Kids will connect with both.
We are the Gardeners is a sweet little story, perfect for introducing and getting young children interested in gardening. The illustrations are beautiful. I can't wait to share this book with my son once he gets a little older.
Really wasn't a fan of this one, it's cute, albeit kinda generic illustrations. For storytime 3-5 it's wayyyy too wordy. Great as an educational tool, not so much as a fun story for kids. I found it a little try-hard overall.
I had a rough weekend in the garden. I’d been planning a strategy since Fall and just finally started seeing my seeds sprouting in the greenhouse. Unfortunately, most of Middle Tennessee was under a wind advisory for the next 24 hours. I was inside the greenhouse when a major gust of wind came hurling against every solid object it could find. It became so windy, the above-ground pool lifted up and flew against the house.

It wasn't even ten minutes after sharing my excitement about my sprouts, the greenhouse starts crushing in on me. All of my seeds tipped over and spilled to the ground as I tried to hold the roof up while the metal bent. It felt like I was trapped in a tornado! After I got out, I just stood there in shock. My beautiful greenhouse and all of my plants were destroyed, and this wasn’t long after losing most of my childhood in the recent flood. I wasn't ready for another disappointment.

To cheer me up, my partner surprised me with Joanna Gaines' new book, We Are the Gardeners. It had recently come across my desk (I was anticipating it), but I hadn’t gotten a chance to read it yet. I read through my gift copy and I can’t even tell you how much it encouraged me when I really needed it.

We Are the Gardeners tells the story of America's most beloved family's adventures in learning how to garden. Like most of us, it all began with a small house plant. In the case of the Gaines family, a fern that soon met its demise after being over-watered and overexposed to sunlight. Eventually, they bought a new fern and expanded to several houseplants (can't we all relate?) which inevitably inspired the beginnings of an outside garden.

As you journey with the Gaines children through their disappointments and lessons-learned, you are encouraged not to give up when you hit a snag in your plans.

"We debated if we should just give up. Was it really worth it to start all over again? Then we remembered one very important detail:
WE ARE THE GARDENERS.
It was our responsibility not only to grow this garden but also to protect it" (Gaines 35).

It’s just a children’s picture book, but even at 31 years old it inspired me when I felt really bummed about my garden dreams being crushed. The message is sweet and inspiring for all ages.

In addition to the message, this is a beautiful book. Julianna Swaney's folk-style botanical designs are the perfect ornament to the narrative, making this an ideal gift book for aspiring gardeners.

We Are the Gardeners could not have landed in my hands at a more opportune time. I feel it will hold special meaning for me for years to come, especially as I rebirth my garden and watch it grow. I fell in love with it so much, I decided to read it for storytime the next day accompanied with DIY mini-greenhouses complete with flower seeds! My library families loved it.
HEAD TO THE GARDEN AND GROW, WITH YOUR KIDS
3 Amazing Picture Books That Delight and Educate
It is springtime and it is time to think about getting your kids outside. One of our favorite kid activities each year is to garden together. Some years we grow sunflower playhouses, some years we plant a salad garden, and some years it is just flowers and berries. But no matter what, getting out with your kids into the dirt can be so wonderful.

This delightful picture book tells the story of one family who begins their gardening adventure with a small, wilted fern, and end up with a big, beautiful garden in their yard. Everyone helps, from little to big, as they plan and purchase and plant.

The illustrations are so sweet and gentle that every single member of your family, no matter how old, will love to watch as you read this picture book aloud. And when the book is done? Well, then your kids will know how to plan the garden plots and watch for earthworm ‘secret agents’. Together you can get out into your yard and grow!
The information in this sweet book has given me faith that I might be able to raise a plant from seed.
I hope to share this book with littles who will also try their best at gardening.
The best part of this book (to me) is the fact that they did a little research and learned something because of their desire to do more.
We are blessed that they are to be able spend time outside and share their findings with others.