Cover Image: We Are the Gardeners

We Are the Gardeners

The Gaines family shares their trials and errors in starting a family gardening.  A great message about perseverance and the rewards or gardening.  The illustrations were just as beautiful as the message.
This book was everything that I expected. Joanna and family has done it again!!! This book is absolutely adorable! The story is well written, with great values and lessons to live by. The illustrations are whimsical, lovely and yes, shiplap included.
This book will be on my gifts to give list!! It will be enjoyed by both little and big hands.
This is a fantastic book that shows the beauty of a garden but also the failures that lead to that beautiful garden. It is great to use during Spring to teach growth mindset and the hardships that occur leading up to success.
We are the Gardeners is a great story of kids starting a garden and making it grow with their family. I really liked the colourful illustrations and the easy-to-read text from the story. The only thing I did not really like is how some bugs are treated as "bad" and some plants as "weeds". We are trying nowadays to explain there is not good or bad plant but only diversity and every organism has its role to play in nature and therefore in the garden.
Gardens come in all shapes and sizes. And some of them often have poignant garden story behind them. We Are The Gardeners digs in one such delightful tale…

Sometimes big stories start in a small way. The garden story of this family begins with a little plant that grows on the windowsill. The plant, bought by the father, becomes the focus of attention. Four little children visit the plant on the sunny windowsill and learn to care for it, water it and even whisper to it. The beginnings of this relationship with a small plant spirals into something bigger and more substantial.

The wonderful lesson of patience comes to them, as does the concept of trial and error. When the children love their plant to death, though zealous overwatering, they are disappointed. They soon learn that each plant is different and most plants have good manners and they ‘like to sip, not gulp’ water. The lessons about the science of growing plants is woven into the story which also talks about the sheer magic of growing a garden.

As their garden graduates from the window sill and spills over to the open space outside, the children have more ambitious plans. But then they share the garden with the world of insects and birds who do their own bit. Slowly, things fit into this humming hive of activity. And, not everything is well all the time. They have to deal with the ‘bullies’ in the garden, aka the weeds. And, they need to handle seemingly innocent animals who love to have more than a fair share of helping from the produce!

Gardens provide a lot of fruit- not only literally but also figuratively. The children experience collaborating with each other as a family to grow the garden as a team. They learn many of life’s lesson right in the middle of their own garden by the mere act of gardening and being a gardener!

The appealing language which explains the eternal lessons that gardening brings to us is most apt and delightful for children. The illustrations complement the text beautifully, adding fun and poignancy to the journey that the child-reader undertakes with the book. I think this is a book that brings the pleasures of gardening into the mind and heart of the reader. Well, you may soon start to grow your own garden story!
We Are The Gardeners by Joanna Gaines & Kids

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

______________________________________________________________________________

Story Notes

Design and home makeover expert Joanna Gaines presents a wonderful story about the importance of not giving up in the face of failure.

Joanna and Chip Gaines have become household names all over the US and the world. From their beautiful home makeovers to their creative companies to their fun Silo store, their love of making the world more welcoming and lovely spills over into the lives of those around them. Joanna has also ventured into the world of writing with this well written and well developed story about never giving up. Told from the perspective of her children, Ms. Gaines tells the real-life story of how they became a gardening family. From their first fern to the large gardens they now care for, there were challenges and set backs that gave the children a choice: do we give up or do we try again to make it better? I loved the quote from Chip Gaines ” Every hard thing we choose to do makes us braver for the next time.” Truly this is a lesson that many of us need to learn and remember. Failure does not mean the end but a chance to start over with another idea – think Thomas Edison and the light bulb. I loved the cute story, especially that it included some complicated words that were explained to help expand a child’s vocabulary. Often authors stick with simple words, forgetting that a child can learn harder words if they are explained. I’m glad to see that Ms. Gaines included the “tough” words to inspire children to learn more than the story itself. The illustrations of this book by Julianna Swaney must be mentioned as they were so very beautiful. The colors used were bright but soothing and will certainly make children want to re-read this book often. And while most were very realistic, there were some that were drawn overly large to prove a point – this was a very clever idea. I will certainly be recommending and sharing this book with others as it is truly delightful to read. I will also be adding a physical copy of this book to my collection very soon. Well done, Joanna and Julianna!

I received this E-book free of charge from Tommy Nelson/Thomas Nelson Children via NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. I will receive no fiscal compensation for this review and the opinions expressed herein are entirely my own.
The bright, inviting illustrations and the clearly written text detail how a well-known family begins a garden and overcomes some problems along the way. A friendly book with a good message.
As a teacher I couldn't wait to add this book to my classroom library. In today's society I feel that kids don't play outside enough and I truly believe in the importance of play and getting children to spend time outdoors. This book is adorable. The illustrations are sweet and the lessons of the book pertain to all children. This book will be read over and over in class especially during the spring season and during our gardening unit!
This is such a sweet book and I am a big fan of the Gaines family! I read this with my children and will be reading it for years to come :) Thank you Netgalley for the ARC!
I loved the artwork and how it explains all about gardening to children. It was very enjoyable to read (as an adult) and I was learning as well as my kids. Makes us want to start our garden!
This adorable children's book will be a favorite for children and adults. The illustrations are colorfully captivating and the details of each page are fun  to pour over to find all the treasures placed on each page. I was happily surprised that this wasn't a typical children's book with a couple words here and there on each page. The writing is dense and has deeper meaning. And although the gardening aspect of the book isn't a how to this books teaches about perseverance and never giving up no matter the set backs. I was so excited to be able to receive this book through NetGalley when I realized that Joanna had added to her list of talents. Her tone and words and I could hear her voice as I read. My kids will love this book for years to come.
On the surface this is a beautifully illustrated story of a family that teaches about important aspects of taking care of plants. This surface story presents wonderful facts about how to care for plants, the realities of overwatering or the dangers of certain bugs in your garden. When I was a little girl I was obsessed with the Klutz Gardening Book; I think I would have loved this book as well for the facts it presents.

However, just under this adorable surface story is a really sweet story about overcoming failure and keeping the hope. Their first plant was loved to death. As an adult who is new to gardening I can totally understand this sentiment. But instead of becoming discouraged, they used their failure as a lesson to teach them on how to get better. When the goats and other animals got into the garden and wrecked havoc they didn't give up because it got hard. Instead these precious gardeners solved the problem and started again.

There are many precious books about gardening and lots about keeping the hope and not being discouraged. But I can't think of another title that combines them and in such a beautiful way. This is the perfect book for any of your young friends who enjoy plants and gardening (or even for young friends with parents who are fans of Chip and Joanna).

I can't finish this review without making note of the beautiful illustrations. Digital illustrations are so common place now that it was refreshing to have these beautiful watercolor pictures for this story. Anything else would have fallen flat, these accompany the tone and sentiment of the story perfectly.
Vibrant, joyful and determined, We Are the Gardeners is a touching biographical story about a family's journey in discovering and falling in love with gardening.

Each page is beautifully illustrated in rainbow hues evoking Summer with all of its blooms and bountiful harvest. This really is quite a pretty book just asking to be read!

There is a sweet, child-like tone to the writing (this was clearly a project the kids played a big role in!), which offers a special appeal to young readers. Imperfect and excited, I'm sure that children will quickly feel a connection to the authors and be inspired to have a go at trying a new hobby - or telling their own story.

The strong message of not being afraid to try again when things go wrong is wonderful, sharing with the reader the pleasure that can be derived from learning new skills and working hard.

A truly wholesome addition to the home library.
We are the Gardeners is a perfect children’s book for Spring. It is written by Joanna Gaines and illustrated by Juliana Swaney. This book is about four siblings who learn to become gardeners. They start with taking care of a fern and graduate to planning and developing a full-scale garden. They face obstacles and learn valuable lessons along the way.

We are the Gardeners is a perfect book for kids who are just learning to read and in whom you want to spark a curiosity for gardening. The pictures in the book are beautiful, with mild colors and a lot of detail. I give this book a 5 out of 5 rating. We are the Gardeners is a must read for this Spring.

Thank you to Netgalley and Owlkids Books for the ARC.
While this book will be received well because it has Joanna Gaines' name on it... it 100% deserves it for the beauty within the pages. The artwork is gorgeous and page by page you find yourself living inside the story. It has a beautiful message about values, compassion and perserverance. I was thrilled to receive an ARC - thank you NetGalley, the publisher and Gaines family. I have additionally purchased one for my children as they are aspiring gardeners and I feel its one we enjoy time and time again.
This is a great book for children.  It not only talks about how to grow plants, but it also dips its toes into trying again when you aren't successful the first time.  I loved the illustrations.  It would be a great book for any child. My granddaughter will find a copy in her Easter basket from me this year!  I received this ARC from Netgalley--thank you to Netgalley and the publisher.  I voluntarily read and reviewed this book, all opinions are mine.
Thank you NetGalley for my ARC. Such a cute story! I loved the illustrations and the book teaches such a good lesson.
We Are The Gardeners by Joanna Gaines is just the cutest little story about gardening. I loved it. The characters are caring, hardworking and motivational. This story will give readers hope and inspiration, weather it be about growing your own garden or just having a different perspective on a situation , Joanna Gaines hits the nail right on the head with this book.  A 5 STAR “ Must REad”
A very cute and beautifully illustrated story of one family’s journey to gardening. I loved that the story was told from the perspective of the children and that the parents were there for guidance and support. This actually goes well with what I believe to be the theme of the book: if at first you don’t succeed, do some research, and try again!

A must read for every parent/caregiver wanting to encourager their child to do hard things, to appreciate the beauty of the natural world around them, to work together with their siblings, and to build family culture/traditions!
I’m excited to start small with a little fern of our own!
I have recently become very interested in building a garden and yesterday for my birthday my husband and I set out to do just that. We bought a small upright garden bed as well as a few small ceramic pots, dirt, and a bunch of seeds good for growing in small spaces. We worked with the dirt and planted the seeds and now we just have to sit and wait. We fully know that this might be a complete failure, but if we are able to get a small harvest by the end of the summer I will be very happy.
This book seemed to follow so many of these emotions. We have failure (I too have over-watered a planted until it literally exploded around the pot) and I know the excitement of planting something and waiting until that fateful day when a small seedling pops its head out. I loved the story of this family that is learning to love nature, the outdoors, and growing things. I also really liked that it wasn't all perfect and they had to pick themselves up out of various failures. The illustrations were so vibrant and beautiful and really lended themselves well to the story.
This is a wonderful story to share with children about gardening and hopefully it will inspire more people to get a bit dirty and try and grow something of their own.