Cursed

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Oct 2019

Frank Miller's art and this fantastic and unique retelling of the Arthurian legend are perfect for each other. I absolutely loved this book and the surprising was it introduces the familiar characters!
Great fantasy novel for Middle/Upper grades. This is a book my kids who love fantasy will devour. It is full of action and intrigue and will keep them hooked from the first page all the way to the end.
This is a terrific twist on a female version of King Arthur. This is an enchanting read for any middle school child. With a strong female protagonist, it's a fun read for young minds. Thanks to NetGalley for giving me an opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest review. I look forward to seeing the Netflix show.
I wanted to love this book so much. The synopsis was amazing, and the fact that it was a twist on the tale of King Arthur sold me. Also, the fact that it is going to be made into a Netflix movie this Katherine Langford also made my soo excited to read it. I just couldn’t get into this book. I couldn’t connect with Nimue at all. There were times where I felt like I was starting to connect to her, but something would happen and I would lose it.

I did really like Arthur. He and Nimue together were the times that I most enjoyed this book. He was so charming and fun to be around. Merlin’s parts were very interesting and I mostly enjoyed that story. I never understood the king, and why he always said they and we, I am guessing because he was transgender, but I don’t ever remember reading that so that also confused me.

I hate to give this book a bad review because there were some really good parts and some parts that had me hooked. Connecting with the characters was just too hard for me.  And I was really confused a lot of the time. That could also be because of it being an ARC. Not sure. I recommend it because I feel that other people would love this book. It just wasn’t for me.
This book provides it all a good writing style and character development with a delightful story. It is for teens and young adults that is even scheduled for a series on Netflix starring Katherine Langford. This is a reworked story of the Lady of the Lake and King Arthur. There is a Sword of Power that will choose the King, but that is the story we have heard before. This is a little different as perhaps this time the sword picks a queen instead. This book is full of action and suspense, which is very interesting with nice illustrations throughout. I look forward to seeing how it is done with the TV show. This is a book to pick up and you will be hearing about this book because it is going to be that popular.
Pretty decent retelling. I honestly thought I already reviewed this I only have notes from months ago.

- The original artwork will be cool to have in the pubbed book --
- I'm enjoying the small trend of learning more about Nimue and seeing Arthur's origin story from her perspective.
- A lot of violence against women...
- Also don't love what they did with Merlin. At all.
- Smaller roles were better written.
Thank you to NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review!

I thoroughly enjoyed this spin on the classic King Arthur tale. I'm loving the recent push for female-driven stories and gender swapped retellings. I found the story enthralling and the art a stunning addition. I cannot wait for the Netflix adaptation!
If there’s one thing I don’t enjoy about fiction it’s reading a story that appears to be leading somewhere only to find that it doesn’t go anywhere at all. The story itself only really held me once we I quite far into it (1/3). The characters are largely believable and sympathetic, with some glaring inconsistencies.

Our main characters village is attacked by Red Paladins and everyone is killed, Her mom hands her the Sword of Power and tells her to deliver it to Merlin. Cool, right?! But an entire book can only stand up so long on these legs without the firmer foundation of a coherent plot. The premise and beginning of the book promise some kind of quest with big stakes, and yet  I spent most of the time reading and waiting for a bigger goal or purpose and was left wanting. Yes, there are secrets discovered, secrets kept which did create some tension ... but again, to what end? Despite the book improving a bit in the latter half/quarter, even the reveal at the end of the book was somewhat easy to guess earlier on and was not enough of a boost to justify the meandering and somewhat slow pace of the story. There were times when I fell asleep (not entirely due to the book), which helped give me the breaks needed to continue reading.
I was excited to read this book because of the common knowledge that Netflix has plans for it.  Maybe that built up my expectations too high.  I love a strong female character and I love reimagined classics, so this should have hit all my buttons....but something was missing.  The writing just never pulled me in.  The characters seemed stitled and the relationships unbelievable and without real chemistry.
**I received an ARC of this through NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.**

It was no secret that this one had been optioned and was headed to NetFlix. It kind of read like it would be and in a very screenwriting way; which helped in a sense. Although, in others it kind of took away from the story and character development. The story is seen through Nimue's POV. She is the Lady of the Lake who had Excalibur before Merlin did. It was a different take on a classic story which is what held my attention. Nimue was always treated as an outcast in her society and to see her escape and what becomes of her life was quite interesting. The story itself would have been great but then there were some parts that just didn't seem to click with the rest of the book. Like we were missing something...and the cliffhangers were...not where you'd expect them and that didn't make it suspenseful just, lacking. It will be interesting to see how this pans out on the screen though.
NetGalley, thanks for the ARC. I think the fact that I kept trying to find other things to read instead of this should have been the hint that something was wrong with it 0r me or me and it together. I think the answer is that not every man has the ability to capture a woman's voice. Sometimes, men think all girls and women sound like 12 year old boys. Why? I don't know. I wish I did so I could explain it and this would stop. I felt this way after watching the fight/hug it out scene in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 between the sisters. This whole book feels a bit like that scene so if you love that scene, you will love this book. There is proof that men can write from a female perspective and more proof that women can write from a male perspective so I know it can be done. I love a gender bender story as much as the next fantasy reader, but I just didn't love this. Sorry.
The premise of this book seemed to be really interesting. So I was hopeful going into but it was hard to keep my interest. I kept reading other books or taking longer to read this because it didnt do anything for me. I like that it was part graphic novel. It just wasnt my fave.
So there’s been a lot of talk about Cursed as of late. And with some very good reasons. For one thing, it was written by Thomas Wheeler, and illustrated by Frank Miller (yes, you read that right!). For another thing, Cursed is in the process of being made into a Netflix Original, which is pretty cool.
	Cursed is a retelling of some of the events that occurred during King Arthur’s tale. Or more accurately, it’s a twisted version of the tale. In this story, it isn’t a King the Sword desired, but a Queen. Enter Nimue. Her entire village was slaughtered, sending her off on a quest for survival and revenge. And she can only hope that she has it in her to change destiny and save her people.

Cursed was an interesting read, on the whole. It blended the longer form of novel writing with the imagery from the one and only Frank Miller. Together, Miller and Wheeler were clearly trying to do something groundbreaking.
	In a world where there are hundreds upon hundreds of King Arthur retellings, Cursed went out of its way to try and be different. And that’s what caught my attention about this series. Or, more accurately, the artistic team caught my attention, but the unique perspective is what held it.
	But if I’m being completely honest here – I was pretty let down by the events in Cursed. It was interesting, sure. But it wasn’t anything like the story I expected. Yes, it did follow Nimue and it was an epic quest. But it didn’t hold my attention nearly as much as I hoped.
	I really wanted to like Cursed, truly I did. But I found myself struggling to actually get through it all. I kept picking it up and putting it down. Which is never a great sign with me, I’m sad to say. Part of my problem is that the artwork from Frank Miller wasn’t as…brilliant? As I was hoping it would be. The black and white imagery was an interesting choice, and it could have paid off. But I don’t think it was quite there. Not for me, at any rate.
	So now I guess the question is: am I interested enough to give the Netflix series a try? Yeah, probably. I’m not sure I’m up for seeing another retelling, but I figure I want to see this through to the end. And I do still hold some higher expectations from the adaptation. I guess I’ll find out!
A fun fantasy retelling of the Arthurian legend. Looking forward to book 2 in the hopes that the plot gets a little more resolved.
I am usually evenly divided on King Arthur tales, I either love them or hate them. This was one I really enjoyed. It isn't your typical Arthur story that follows along with King Arthur. Instead, it follows Nimue, more commonly known as the lady of the lake. I really enjoyed being able to see this side of the story.
*I received an e-arc from NetGalley for an honest review.*

I’m late posting this, but I took my time with this book. Cursed by Thomas Wheeler and Frank Miller is a retelling of the King Arthur legend. “Whosoever wields the Sword of Power shall be the one true king.” What if the sword chose a Queen? This reimagined tale answers that question. Nimue is the main character and what starts her quest is when the Red Paladins destroy her village. Before she dies, her mother gives her the Sword of Power and tells her to deliver it to Merlin. Nimue has been blessed or cursed depending on how you look at it by the Hidden with powers. Once she receives the sword it seems her powers increase. Nimue befriends Arthur, yes that Arthur, and together they journey to find Merlin and try to stop the Red Paladins reign of terror.

I have a hard time placing this book. Overall I liked it and I’m excited to see the Netflix show that is coming soon based on the book. The writing is well done and the world building is great. The tone of this book is kind of melancholy. This may sound strange but the feeling I got when reading was like it was always raining, or dreary. I’m not saying that’s the setting, just the feeling I had while reading. This isn’t a happy book. I’m also a little disappointed with Nimue. She keeps being described as a powerful character, and while she had her moments, she never really embraced her power. I like any illustrated book, so the illustrations were a great addition. I’m not a huge fan of Miller’s style, but that’s just a personal preference. I’m interested to see where this story goes.
I feel very meh about this one. I was very excited to read a King Arthur retelling because I adore the story. This one however, fell very flat for me. I didn’t connect with any of the characters which made me disinterested in the story as a whole. The extreme violence was also off putting and it felt unnecessary and unpleasant. Overall I would pass on this one and check out the series when it comes out on Netflix instead.
Cursed was interesting, and the graphic style was definitely unique. The plot seemed a bit all over the place, though, and it detracted from the book for me. If you’re a fan of dark graphic novels, give this one a chance and check it out. Otherwise, you could probably skip it.
The publisher reached out to me about reviewing this title. I saw it floating around the internet and was really looking forward to reading it, so I jumped at the opportunity. I'm not quite sure what it was about the book that didn't work for me. I love books set in this time period and the thought of a gender-bent version of of King Arthur's story sounded amazing. Every time I picked this one up it failed to grab my attention and I ended up putting it aside after about 20%. I'm disappointed that I didn't enjoy it more. Maybe after I watch the Netflix show, I will feel different.
I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised with this book overall as it was very much different than what I had anticipated.  Vaguely familiar with the original story of King Arthur, etc. I wasn't sure I would be able to fully process and appreciate this story and I am happy to report that I was wrong.  The plot and characters are not only appealing but enjoyable and enticing and I had a fabulous reading experience throughout.  The illustrations are lovely and an added bonus!  Highly recommend!