Cover Image: The Fragments

The Fragments

Thank you Netgalley, Text Publishing Company and Toni Jordan for free e-ARC of The Fragments in return of my honest review.

The story is told by two characters- Rachel in late 30s from New York and Caddie in mid-80s from Brisbane, Australia. One where the mystery is happening, the other is trying to find the truth and unravel what actually had happened. Both love Inga Karlson, an acclaimed author, lost in a warehouse fire with all the copies of her second book. Both feel a connection to the author- one had real, the other narrator though books and her research. With some mystery, a bit of love stories from both timelines and some historical reflections The Fragments should be a win-win.

I found it ok, just fine. I enjoyed Rachel’s chapters from 1930s more than Caddie’s. Rachel as a character was fully developed and came into life while Caddie seemed always quite shallow and one-dimensional. At times, I couldn’t get the links of the narrative in Caddie’s chapters- like author was jumping from one theme to another without connecting them.

In terms of plot-line - The Fragments has a little bit of everything for everyone- same gender love, mystery, historical fiction. I feel like it was wrapped up quite neatly too. The twist from the last chapter was expected and not shocking, though interesting approach to final.

I think everyone can find something to enjoy in The Fragments.
This was a wonderful read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. This book was set over a number of time periods and dealt with the information which remained from the fragments of a writer's manuscript that still existed after a fire which saw the author lose her life. The writer's first novel was a phenomenal hit so the fragments of this novel are highly revered. These characters were so interesting, as were the different settings in which events took place. The first happened in 1930's New York but 50 years later in Australia bookseller Caddie Walker encounters a woman who seems to know more about the novel than actually exists in the fragments as she queues to view the fragments in an exhibition. Such knowledge and information sets a search in motion what Caddie will not stop until she knows it all. I really enjoyed this read and would highly recommend it.
The task of repopulating the senior library has been an exciting and daunting task aS in a boarding school our aim is to encourage all members of the community to read. Because of this, I have been searching down a wide and diverse range of books to read that will entice a wide cross-section of the school to come in, browse and find books that they love.
Books like this will ensure that the senior students in the school see the library as a diverse, modern and exciting place with books that speak to them and they want to recommend to their friends, classmates, teachers and tutors.
It is an engrossing and exciting read with fully-formed characters and a plot that ensures that it's hard to look away. It is as far from formulaic as it is possible to be and kept me up far too late in order to finish it. I immediately wanted to read all of this writer's other books as I loved their voice and found that it really drew me into the story and made me think about it even when I'd stepped away from this tale.
This is a thought-provoking read which I'm sure will be a popular and well-read addition to our new library; I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to read it and I know that the students are going to absolutely love it too!
This book is great! Would definitely recommend. Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
This was completely unexpected - not a book I'd normally read but I'm so glad I did. I was intrigued by the mystery woman, really enjoyed the trips into the past and where those took us, and didn't expect a lot of the twists in this story. An intriguing read that I'd recommend to others!
Unfortunately, I was not able to finish "The Fragments" by Toni Jordan due to time constraints, although I hope to come back to it someday.
I'm so in love with this cover!

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure on where my rating lies with this one. While the story was a little underwhelming, I can't deny that the writing itself was stellar and kept the pace moving nicely. I enjoyed the different timelines and found this to be an easy weekend read. 3.5 stars.
I came across this synopsis and was hopeful that it would give pause to my thoughts. And by golly did it! I absolutely loved the characters and their interactions.

The circumstances within this storyline was fantastic and made the story come alive like I was seeing this as a movie as I read it. I love nothing more than reading a book and having that happen.

It really puts everything into perspective and you are able to be up close and personal with each character as they wind their way through their individual journey

Thank you to the publisher, author, and Netgalley for the gifted review copy. All opinions are my own.
The Fragments is about a manuscript that was burned in a fire in New York in the 1930's. Nearly 50 years later Caddie Walker is waiting to see these manuscript fragments when she meets an older woman who quotes a phrase from the Inga Karlsons fragments that Caddie knows doesnt exist. It feels genuine to Caddie who knows Inga Karlsons work like the back of her hand. She immediately begins to investigate and looks into the clues that will unlock the greatest literary mystery of the 20th century.

This book was a joy to read and I hope you love diving into the mystery it as much as I did.
A nice blend of mystery and history with a well-paced story that balanced its telling from 2 different points of view.
I was intrigued by this book's premise from the start and even more so given its content was local to my city. I did struggle with the detail in setting up some of the relationships, but there was much to enjoy and wonderful writing.
Loved it! From start to finish!!! I could not put it down. I found myself reading after hours. I stopped doing many chores to just see what would happen next!
I do enjoy suspense and thriller novels so The Fragments by Toni Jordan was a nice read and I enjoyed the overall themes, storylines and characters. Would read more from Toni Jordan in the future.
I honestly could not have cared less for this book, when I originally requested to read this book I really wanted to be interested and I wanted to get out of my comfort zone and spread my wings. But in the end I couldn’t pick up this book and I doubt I will ever.
Caddie loves books, always has—she even works at a bookstore.  So when she takes a day to go to the museum to see an exhibition including “the fragments” of a book that was never published, a book by her favorite author who only wrote one other book (the book Caddie was actually named after), she’s definitely in her happy place.  Of course she mourns for the author who died in the fire where the fragments came from.  She mourns the loss of a book that’s never been read by anyone, so much so that she’s even memorized a few of the lines that were spared in the fragments.  And when an older lady she speaks with at the exhibition quotes from the book, adding an additional sentence to it before departing in a taxi, Caddie’s mind is all awhirl.  How did the older woman know this, and how can Caddie learn more? I wasn’t sure about this book, but the more I read it, the more I enjoyed it.  Caddie’s experience trying to uncover the mystery woman, as well as the backstory on the author, her second book, and the reason for the fire, all built up to a satisfying culmination of events.  This book is smart, well-written, and even though it’s not fast-paced, I actually enjoyed taking my time in reading it.  For the lovers of books, this may be one you want to read.

Special note of thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
The past and present stories are effectively told alternately, causing the reader to become engaged in both aspects.  An author dies in a fire, that also destroyed all of the copies of her latest, unpublished book.  However, fragments of it keep showing up and become part of a traveling museum exhibit.  Piece by piece (or fragment by fragment) the reader is drawn into to the mystery unraveling of how the author died and why only fragments of her book survived.  Well told and engaging.
I really enjoyed reading this book.  A perfect mystery, great plot, good characters. Everything you need in a good mystery book.  Recommended.
Thank you for giving me access to this gorgeous book.  I was hooked immediately and fully engaged to the compelling and deep story.
3 stars

I loved the concept but this was really too slow for me. I finished it but it took me forever

Sorry for the late response, I’m finally getting through my backlog of books
I really wanted to enjoy this book as it's premise sounded good, but I just couldn't get into this book.