Muhammad Ali

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Mar 2019

Muhammad Ali is a person who has always fascinated me. I have seen movies, clips of his fights, read about him and actually met him at an event. This little book geared to children and part of the Little People, Big Dreams series is a winner. This book shares one of the greatest athletes of all time with children who would have been born after his death. Born Cassius Clay in a time when Black Americans were treated extremely poorly, he became a spokesperson for his race. One of the things he was well-known for was his poetry trash talk. His most famous saying was "I float like a butterfly, and stink like a bee - his hands can’t hit what his eyes can’t see.”" and the page illustrating that was wonderful. This book not only shares his dream and perseverance, but his beliefs and the importance of sticking to them, even when faced with something he didn't want to see happen. I love the way these books are illustrated. The bold, vivid colours give the quirky illustrations life. Another book i recommend to public and school libraries.
I adore this series - such a fantastic way to introduce history and spark further discussion and learning!
This was a nice introduction to Muhammad Ali.  It is both a timeline, but also information that could get a child interested in learning more. One thing this book really has going for it is the illustrations.  They are much different than most of the books in the Little People Big Dreams series.  They are more cartoonish, almost “Simpson”-ish, with bubble people and bright colors.  It really stood out.
Some public figure's lives are difficult to sum up in a kid friendly way. That achievement alone makes this book an impressive feat. The reader learns that some things are hard work, some things are worth fighting for. And sometimes that has costs. Ali was stripped of titles. He lost his reputation. But he still stood. We learn the value of defiance., standing on your beliefs.
Muhammad Ali, written by Isabel Sanchez Vegara and illustrated by Brosmind is an inspiring addition to Frances Lincoln Children's Books’ Little People, BIG DREAMS series. The short and accessible biography takes readers on a fast-paced and informative journey into the life of famous boxer Muhammad Ali. In addition to his boxing fame, the board book acknowledges Ali’s civil rights activism, conversion to Islam, refusal to fight in Vietnam, and post-retirement charity work. Like other books in the series, Muhammad Ali, provides enough detail to be engaging to without overwhelming its young audience. I recommend this book for children between 2- and 5-years-old. Like other books in the series, this will make a valuable addition to personal and school libraries.
My favorite Little People, Big Dreams book so far! This gives Muhammad Ali justice to his true character and how he came to be. Very bright and energetic vibe to it too!
What could I say that I haven't yet said about the other sweet little books in this series?
This one was a very quick read for me again (obviously), and just as cute, inspiring and educational as the ones I read before. Another hero that I think is worth looking up to, another role model for kids, and another book I would love to spread the word about and discover together with my future kids. Or any kid, for that matter. They all should have this series!
It's a well written picture book that gives insight into who Muhammad Ali was. It's easy to understand for kids and I loved the illustrations and the vibrant colours. It's the first book I've read in the "Little People, Big Dreams" series, but I'm sure I'll read more of them.
I was thrilled to learn that there were to be some titles published depicting the lives of influential men after reading many wonderful titles about inspiring women.

A fantastic introduction to the life of Muhammad Ali, born Cassius Clay, depicting some of the key events that made him the great inspiration he became to many. Telling of his training and rise to Olympic glory, his conversion to Islam and refusal to fight in the war.

With bright illustrations and easy to understand text, it is easy to see how this book will inspire many readers to dream of greatness.

This is a great book for any young reader with an interest in sport to learn about the life of an influential figure in the field. It is a wonderful way to introduce readers to biographies and suggests further reading for those who want to find out more.

Many thanks to the publishers for granting access to this brilliant little book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Loved this one.
This series doesn't disappoint!
I love how encouraging it is for new generation
I think this series make great present for babies and kids.
Muhammad story is very inspiring
This empowering best-selling series of books and educational games that explore outstanding people, from designers and artists to scientists and activists, is truly exceptional. All of them achieved incredible things, yet each began life as a child with a dream.  Cassius Clay was one of those children.

When he was a little guy his bike was stolen and he was determined to find the thief and get it back.  A policeman advised him that he had better learn to box first.  Cassius took that councel to heart and that lead him on a journey to become the greatest boxer in the world.

He worked tirelessly at the gym becoming more agile and strong as his dream drove him onward.  His cunning moves, smart thinking and using rhymes outside of the ring to tease and taunt his opponents gave him victory after victory.

" I float like a butterfly... and sting like a bee."  is one of his most famous quotes.

He earned the title:  "Heavyweight Champion of the World."  In fact he managed to secure that high status three times!  What an amazing accomplishment.  All his hard work and dedication paid off and his dream became a reality.  He became inspired by the teachings of Islam and changed his name to Muhammad Ali, a name, that to him, made him feel strong and proud.

He was admired, loved and acknowledged worldwide for his extraordinary boxing prowess.  After he retired he still didn't stop making his mark in the world.  He became an avid defender of African-American rights at a time when it was dangerous to speak up and advocate for such things and he worked for charities and helped others unceasingly.

To this day other young boxers follow in his footsteps... the little kid who used to say:

"One day, I'm going to be the greatest."  And he was. Mission accomplished!

The inspiring message of the book is compelling and the illustrations have a special charm to them.  I really liked them.  I highly recommend this book and the entire series. Great books to collect!
Gorgeous picture book telling the story of the greatest boxer that ever lived. it goes through all aspects of his life from changing his name to taking a stand against war. These books are pitched perfectly for the age range without ignoring many of the controversial but important aspects of his life.
Another great leader for Little People, Big Dreams.  Muhammad Ali is one of the greatest and he set out to do so. Being a leader doesn't  just mean being the best, but helping others. Ali is a memorable fighter, but readers will also learn about the peace he wanted to share.

The illustrations were bold and vibrant. At times, the text was difficult to read.
'Muhammad Ali' by Mª Isabel Sánchez Vegara with illustrations by Brosmind is a board book for young readers about the famous fighter and all the things he fought for.

Born Cassius Clay, little Muhammad Ali had his bike stolen and wanted to fight the thief, but was directed towards boxing by a policeman.  From there, the rest is history.  His unwillingness to fight in Vietnam, and changing his name.  To the big fights and how he kept fighting for people even after his career was over.

This is a really great series, but occasionally one volume rises above the rest for me.  In this case, it's because of the really great art by Brosmind.  The pictures are detailed and have a kind of pop art sensibility.  I looked Brosmind up after reading this, and I was impressed by the work I saw.  This book is also fun and another impressive addition to this series.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Quaro Publishing Group-Frances Lincoln Children's Books, and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
This is a simple, inspirational tale touching on sporting achievement, religious conviction and selflessness. The art style is not my favourite of the series, but that is personal taste. Lovely to see this range expanding to include male role models too.
I absolutely adore this series of children’s books and this is no exception.

It tells the story of Muhammad Ali, his early life and growing up to be a world famous boxer. It also mentions his love of the Islamic religion and his change of name to acknowledge that. He may have been a boxer but he was a kind and gentle man with strong principles and beliefs. This lovely books explains this in a simple way and has great, quirky illustrations that children will love. It will show children that you can be strong and kind at the same time....wonderful

I would like to thank the Author/the Publishers/NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a fair and honest review
What a great introduction to Muhammad Ali! There is just enough information to get  a young reader interested and eventually lead to more research at an older age. It will be helpful for parents to know a little more on the subject because the book is short but touches on various aspects of his life that we can turn into a deeper discussion depending on the child’s age. The pictures are bright and vivid. My son wanted to pat the pages on my iPad as we read the digital version! We have some other books in this series and love them all, and will certainly be purchasing this one when it comes out! Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review!
I really enjoyed this book and I think the illustrations and story would appeal to a lot of kids. The author did a great job of hitting the major aspects of Ali's life in a short book.
The Little People, Big dreams series shares the lives of extraordinary people through adorable, quirky illustrations and simple language. Each person represented has had an incredible impact on the world, but started life as a child with a dream.

This new edition tells the story of 'The Greatest', legendary boxer Muhammad Ali. Beginning with his younger years in Kentucky, back when he was called Cassius Clay, we see that having his bike stolen inspires the young boy to want to learn to fight. Quick on his feet, clever and sharp, Muhammad Ali spouted poetry outside the ring that his opponents dismissed as 'trash-talk'. Soon, he was winning every fight he took on and even took home a gold medal from the Olympics.

This book explores how Muhammad Ali was always an advocate of believing in oneself and doing what is right. On top of being a supporter of African-American rights, the boxer was also involved with many charities, helping people all over the world.

Both a factual and a moving book, this account of Muhammad Ali's life is a wonderful addition to the Little People, Big Dreams series.
Oh man, how cute is this art style? Once again an adorable installment of the "Little People, Big Dreams" series, which I will now immediately tell my brother about, who is a massive fan of boxing. Also again, I'm not sure whether Ali's commitment to causes outside of sports will be comprehended by the target audience (well, kids), as the topic is not elaborated on - so perhaps parents reading this to their children should prepare to explain a little further. Still, absolutely recommendable!