Cover Image: The Third Mrs. Durst

The Third Mrs. Durst

The Third Mrs. Durst is the first book I read from this author and I am so happy I picked it up as it's riveting and compelling. A carefully crafted mystery it's a must-read.

Here we find, Marlena living in her husband's shadow with no control over how she acts, dresses or even the food she eats. Disobeying his orders is not allowed as consequences are too painful.

To outsiders, it seems like she has a perfect life, but that is not the case. Maybe she has a way out if only Death was the solution.

An ending you will not expect.
This was a fun read but was missing that "wow" facture. Some of the book was too cliched for my test. It fell in parts (especially towards the end). Thanks to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for the arc of this book in return for my honest review. Receiving the book in this manner had no bearing on this review.
Finally read this book, wish I had read it sooner! I was totally entranced with the main character's determination to change her life and improve her station in life. The book became thrilling after she married. I was so impressed with the twists and turns in the book. I never figured out what was going on. Total surprise, but was happy that it ended the way it did. I can't wait to read more by this author.
Revenge is a dish best served cold and Ann Aguirre fine-tunes that sentiment in her latest release, The Third Mrs. Durst.  This convoluted concoction of twists and turns will leave you breathless and in shock when the truth is finally revealed.
Although I did end up enjoying this novel, I found it a little slow. The storyline could have been a little more intriguing at times.
I really loved this book in a new to me author. The characters and location really and to the story. I can't wait to read the next one. This book keeps you guessing until the end.
the blurb reads 'Marlena Altizer Durst lives in her husband's shadow. He controls her every move—what she wears, the food she eats, and the friends she's allowed to make. If she disobeys, there are...consequences. And he has all the power.

To outsiders, it seems that she leads a fairy-tale life. But nobody ever wonders if Cinderella was happy after she married the prince. Marlena has traded freedom and safety for luxurious imprisonment, and most days, that seems like a bad bargain. Death may be the only exit she's allowed. Just like his first wife. And his second. Unless she flips the script.'

Marlena is trapped in her abusive marriage but she hatches a plan......   wow this was a fast paced read, a story of abuse and revenge.  Michael, the husband, is utterly despicable and invokes lip curling dislike,  yes, I as rooting for Marlena.  I thoroughly enjoyed the book, i think it would make a great movie too.

Thank you Netgalley, Midnight Ink and Ann Aguirre for giving me the chance to read The Third Mrs Durst.  save it to read when you have a free day because you won't want to put it down once you start.  a big 5 stars from me!
This book is great! Would definitely recommend. Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.
At 16, Marlena Altizer leaves her mother and siblings behind when she escapes the poverty and hills of Kentucky.

Then by luck, she is noticed by a very notable talent agent and signs her to a modeling career.  The owner of the company, and very rich and widowed x2, Michaell Durst, also notices her before she knows it, they marry and all her fantasies of being rich have come true.  But not long after, her knight in shining armor becomes a controlling monster.  He has created a false persona for her background, decides on her wardrobe, what she needs to learn like another language, and the arts so that she is the "perfect" who is worthy to be the third wife for the powerful Michael Durst.  The controlling starts to get worse and the physical abuse starts.

By the middle of the book, I figured out that Marlena might have planned to become Mrs. Durst and why.  But who is going to survive this murderous cat and mouse relationship?

Even though I figured part of it out, the action just ramped up and the pages started to quickly turn.  Heart pounding suspense!!! An ending that I would never have guessed?  It blew me away!
It was good, but was very convoluted by the end, and tried to do too many things in the plot that didn't tie up very well at the end.
Very fast paced read, but fell a little flat in its ending.

After Marlene reaches a dead end in her life, she meets the mysterious and broody Mr. Durst. After they get married, more and more secrets on his side get unveiled, but after some time, Marlene struggles to keep her own past secret to fulfill her goals.

Pros: I flew through this book and it is definitely and easy read, perfect for a weekend at home, if you like plot-driven suspense and thriller novels.

Cons: I would have loved a bit more character development or more nuance in the characters as the variety in them is a bit bland.
This book is fast paced and thrilling. It’s suspenseful and full of revenge. I enjoyed this story of Marlena, her troubled upbringing and all the drama.
<b>”Sometimes the horizon is bright  because it’s on fire”</b>

I’ve had the eARC for “The third Mrs Durst” sitting on my kindle for more than a year, but as you fellow Netgalley enthusiasts will know, when you’re on a requesting spree you can find yourself with quite the number of books on your TBR and some of them stay there forgotten for a long time...Now I’m chastising myself for not reading it before! That was FUN!

Probably one of my favorite genres is the female revenge stories, and if it’s driven towards her psycho husband that’s absolutely heaven for me! This cat and mouse, rags to riches story may not be the most original one, in fact we’ve all read it hundreds of times before, but still managed to grabbed from the very beginning.

The pace didn’t slow down for a minute and things kept happening (maybe too many at some point). Michael Durst must be one of the most despicable (and over the top) characters I’ve ever read. Yes, we’ve got it, he’s a f*cking psycho! Maybe tone him down a little bit, cause at certain points he looked like a caricature! As you can imagine I was rooting for Marlena at all times, although she didn’t seem so sure of her plan all along.

My critique with this one is that, towards the end, there were certain aspects that required such a huge suspension of belief (as if the rest of the story didn’t require it, right? 😆) that detract a little from the fun I was having.

Perfect read if you’re in the mood for some over the top revenge story that, while not being innovative, will keep you entertained for a few hours.

Thanks to Netgalley and Midnight Ink for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed this book!  A great story line that kept me hooked and excellent main characters.  I would highly recommend this book.
Thank you so much for the opportunity to review this book and to be an early reader via NetGalley! However, I will not be writing a review for this title at this time, as my reading preferences have since changed somewhat. In the event that I decide to review the book in the future, I will make sure to purchase a copy for myself or borrow it from a library. Once again, thank you so much for providing me with early access to this title. I truly appreciate it. Please feel free to contact me with any follow-up questions or concerns.
Thank you to NetGalley and the author for an ARC. These are my own opinions

Wow! psychological thriller with violence, revenge, motive, planning and unpredictability all rolled into on.

Young innocent Marlene is in the run from a dead in life in the hills. Determined she sets out to change her life and make a success of herself.

She meets wealthy businessman Michael Durst who takes Marlene under his wing.  Michael is a controlling husband, who demands perfection and obedience from his docile wife.  As their married life develops secrets and more secrets come to the surface.  Marlene sees no one out of the abuse except escaping with her own death.   Or is their another way.   Plans and more plans  unroll and evolve in this thriller. Exactly who does Just need Killing?  Who will be the victor?
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read and review this title. I will review this title at a different date.
Thank you NetGalley and Publisher for this early copy!

Did not finish - I could not connect with the plot or writing so I decided to put it down.
In the beginning it reminded me a lot of Fifty Shades of Gray, and excellent read from start to finish, this book certainly gets your adrenaline going
First, let me thank netgalley and the publishers for approving my request for an early release of this book.  All reviews of my netgalley books can be found on goodreads and youtube.  Please be sure to check out the links attached.