Cover Image: The Third Mrs. Durst

The Third Mrs. Durst

A twisted Cinderella story from New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Ann Aguirre

Marlena Altizer Durst lives in her husband's shadow. He controls her every move—what she wears, the food she eats, and the friends she's allowed to make. If she disobeys, there are...consequences. And he has all the power.

To outsiders, it seems that she leads a fairy-tale life. But nobody ever wonders if Cinderella was happy after she married the prince. Marlena has traded freedom and safety for luxurious imprisonment, and most days, that seems like a bad bargain. Death may be the only exit she's allowed. Just like his first wife. And his second. Unless she flips the script.

To be honest, if you have read "Behind Closed Doors" you have read something just as similar. It wasn't compelling enough to me to read another book like that.
Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the opportunity.
My review opinions are my own.
This is a exciting read with a thriller edge that kept me turning pages.  The wife is out for revenge and she will stop at nothing to orchestrate her revenge plot against her abusive husband.  I loved the surprising ending and hope to read more by this fine author.   A thrilling read  with just the right amount of excitement and surprises to keep you reading into the night.
This was an interesting story that I truly enjoyed reading.
Thank you to Netgalley, the author and publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This book was pretty brilliant and I'm late in writing a review but I find that I have a hard time remembering the book which is why I left it with the three stars I gave on GoodReads.  While I enjoyed when I read it, it didn't leave any kind of lasting impression on me other than I remember enjoying it at the time and enjoyed the sort of cat and mouse between the husband and wife.
This took me a while to get through because I didn't like any of the characters that much. Definite trigger warning if you have any history of abuse. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.
A third wife a wealthy husband a wife who has it all including and unknown to others trapped in a gilded cage.A book of so many twists and turns a true page turner.There're shocks surprises a wild ride of areas.#netgalley#midnightink.
This was the first book I've read by this author, and I was pleasantly surprised.   I found it difficult to put this book down, I just wanted to keep reading!  Lots of twists and turns made for a fact paced, exciting book.  Add it to your to be read list!   Thanks to Midnight Ink and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and share my review.   #TheThirdMrsDurst #NetGalley
The Third Mrs. Durst by Ann Aguirre is a thrilling tale of revenge and justice, with a female lead you will not easily forget.

Summary

"...Some people just need killing. And maybe I'm one of them.
My husband certainly thinks so, but then, he feels that way about most women..."

Marlena Altizer lived dirt poor and at the age of sixteen, got on a bus and left all of it behind. She was lean and leggy and men always noticed her. For now, it was all she had going for her. But Marlena had a plan and she needed to put it into motion while she still could. She needed to become the third Mrs. Durst. She gets noticed by a modeling agency and soon she is on her way. She only had to be in the right place at the right time and Michael Durst would find her.

"...I know you, Marlena. From the first moment I saw you in Del Morton's office. I knew you would belong to me. I also understood that you were too young, and that I had to let you realize it on your own..."

Michael Durst is a very rich and powerful man. Marlena knows this and from the first time she saw him she knew that she had to become his wife. But sometimes fairytales don't come true just like you planned. Sometimes the Prince is also the Wolf in disguise.

"...You see? They realize how blessed you are, Marlena. Not many men would take such loving care of a sick wife.'
You made me this way, I wanted to scream. You poisoned me, then saved me to prove a point..."

The third Mrs. Durst lives in her exclusive and very beautiful penthouse. Everything she wants is given to her. But the problem is that everything she wants is what Mr. Durst decides for her. The beautiful penthouse, has a guard outside the door for her protection and to make sure she goes nowhere unaccompanied. Michael Durst is not only her husband, he is also her jailer. That is until he grows weary of her. Then, like the prior two Mrs. Durst, she will no longer exist.

Review

The Third Mrs. Durst is a story of female revenge on an abusive male that thrives to be so much more than that. It is a novel not about paying back the man that hurt you, no it is far more layered than that. The characters change who they are so much throughout the story that there are times you may actually feel more compassion for Michael Durst than you do for Marlena. But then he goes out and does another dick move that reminds you that no matter what happens, he deserves it. It is this layering and twists in the characters and who they really are that makes The Third Mrs. Durst stand above the glut of female revenge novels out there.

At first glance you may think this novel to be nothing more than another girl power, feminist rant against the patriarchy. But you would be so wrong. Ann Aguirre has woven a tale of mystery that borders on being Hitchcockian. The clues to the tale are there from the beginning, but they are subtle and craftily hidden. All the while, being in plain sight.

That my friends, is known as damn fine writing.

The Third Mrs. Durst is not a morality tale either. It is not a, look out rich, white men, we're coming to get you! No, the victims are at times, as devious and dark as the abusers are. What will you do, how much will you suffer to make him pay? That is the only morale question being asked.

Marlena is a character you will cheer for but never really trust. Her motives seem constantly changing but in the end, you see she never wavered. She is strong but at times very vulnerable. She is loving but cold and cruel as well.

She is a woman on a mission and she plans to take away all that was taken from her. Like the best of heros, she is frightening as well.

The Third Mrs. Durst is a really good read!
I didn't finish this book, nor am I posting it on my blog out of respect for the author. I love Ann Aguirre most of the time, but it isn't a secret she is hit and miss. The was a miss for me. The writing was choppy and the story wasn''t believable for me. I stopped at around 40 percent, because I hated the characters so much. This was one of my most anticipated releases and I was so excited when I got approved for it. The story itself sounded great, but wasn't executed properly.
A little different from what I normally read but really enjoyed it. It seemed a little far fetched in places but who knows what goes on behind others' closed doors.
Characters were believable and I so wanted a certain character to get what they deserved!
Highly recommended
Fans of MIchelle Campbell and Ruth Ware will enjoy The Third Mrs. Durst by Ann Aguirre. From page one protagonist Marlena knows what she wants, and uses her skills and cunning to get it. After sacrificing and a series of what seem to be coincidence, she lands the coveted title of the third Mrs. Durst. But living the dream life soon turns scary, when she realizes that all her hard worth may just culminate in her untimely demise.

Foreshadowing and clues abound, so the "surprise" ending might not actually surprise the reader, but the story will keep you reading to the last page.

I was fortunate to receive a free ARC of this book from Netgalley. The above thoughts, insights, or recommendations are my own meek musings.
This was most definitely one of my favorite books of the year. The pacing of the book was perfect, not too fast or slow and as the plot unravels you want to keep turning the page more and more. By the end of the book, you cheered for the victor as the outcome was everything that was deserved.
Wow. Cinderealla turns Sinderella, gone rouge,

I was pretty impressed with this.  Perhaps more 'action thriller' than psychological thriller, which is my usual bag. But good all the same. I couldn't particularly warm to any of the characters, however. None of them with the possible exception of Vin seemed like particularly 'good guys' but perhaps that's the point. The first half of the book was a lot easier to get through, I did find the last couple of chapters a slog.  But I've always been a sucker for an underdog exacting revenge, and I did want to finish this, to see if Marlena managed to exact the revenge she was after.

Perhaps a tad un-believable, but then,what twisted fairy story is believable?

Many Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the copy :)
This book is a tight psychological thriller that I picked up and couldn't put down until I'd read the entire book.  Marlena becomes the third wife of Mr. Durst, and to say she didn't know what to expect is an understatement.  As the book blurb says, Marlena is living a Cinderella story but in this case, the story is very twisted.

I really liked this book.

Thanks to Midnight Ink and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
A very gripping and emotional story! I loved this book very much! I also loved the emotional depth of the characters. A must read!!
The Third Mrs. Durst was an interesting read. If I wasn't busy with work I would have read it in one sitting. The plot was engaging, the main character had one of my favorite motives in stories, the writing was good. Some parts of this book were really hard to read because of the violence though, so keep that in mind. I gave it 4 * because at times the stuff Michael Dirst could get away with was unbelievable to me. I highly enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it.
Thank you to netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Marlene Durst lives a fairy type life with her husband in their glorious home. Looking at her you would think she has it all but looks can be decieving. Great book that keeps you wondering.
This is a quick, fast-paced, sort of guilty pleasure read that I thoroughly enjoyed! It was just fun, in a crazy but good way, which is sometimes all you need and all you want. Definitely recommended.
Marlena comes from a simple background and wants to make it big. She becomes a model and an actress where she catches the eye of wealthy Michael Durst. He  sweeps her off her feet like  a modern day  Cinderella  story and it seems like Marlena finally has the life she always dreamed of. But on the inside  Michael is abusive and controlling and the only way for her to escape  is when one of them dies...

The Third Mrs. Durst by  Ann Aguirre is a  domestic thriller with despicable characters and an unreliable narrator.Overall a fast read but I just couldn’t connect with any characters.

I would like to thank Midnight Ink & NetGalley for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest and fair review.
If your favoured reading material is a novel with a good sprinkling of drama, revenge, deceit, evil, domestic noir, marriage toxicity and abuse of many kinds then feel at liberty to read Ann Aguirre’s latest offering - The Third Mrs. Durst.

This was one delightfully twisted story! I was gripped right from the start and was completely caught up in the drama of it all. It was a very chilling and intense read, with very graphic scenes of physical abuse, yet it was also extremely compelling.

The plot might be one that has been tried and tested before, but what marked it as special for me was the power of revenge and the things a person would be prepared to do in order to achieve it.

Right from the start I absolutely loathed the character of Michael Durst as I was expected to and Ann Aguirre did an exemplary job portraying him to absolute perfection as a villainous sociopath, adding more dimension to the story. For me, Marlena was a believable character and I could only admire her strength and determination.

The narration had me immediately hooked and the fast paced, classic, domestic violence plot had more than enough about it to make me want to keep reading. Marlena’s character offered some deep insights to life and I found myself rooting for her. Although the violence of Michael Durst was agonising, the intricacies of the plot were so well executed.  Nothing was what it seemed, and the writing really flowed in this wonderfully crafted, chilling tale. Full of complexity, the twist in the ending was most satisfying.

Overall, I'd say that this novel is a little gem and a book that I'm so pleased to have read. Ann Agguire may well become one of my favourite authors in this genre.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Midnight Ink via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.