Cover Image: DK Eyewitness Top 10 Tokyo

DK Eyewitness Top 10 Tokyo

This guidebook came in very handy on my recent trip to Tokyo. It offers a nice blend of busy tourist spots and off the beaten path sights.
My wife an I will be heading to Tokyo next year and are looking forward to using this guide to plan our trip. A great read!
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I requested to reveiw this book because I want to see Tokyo and several other parts of Japan. I love the full color maps. All of the top 10 lists made me wish even more that I want to go to this amazing city. The more I learn about this city the closer I feel to pull of the history and the people. It has me adding new places to my bucket list.
Great travel reference for Tokyo.  Especially if you are looking for the highlights because you have limited time in the city.  This focuses on the city itself and gives you a good place to start your travel planning.  I have many travel reference books and generally look for these top 10 books when I am visiting a foreign city.
Tokyo is a fave city of my globetrotting brother and dear friend Isabel. I’ve never visited, but feel I have the perfect guide now in TOP 10 TOKYO, with its beautiful color maps, including a laminated pull out one, plus top 10 lists with the best attractions, including the Imperial Palace, National Museum, Ueno Park awash in cherry blossoms, exotic restaurants, and so much more. There are also detailed neighborhood guides with chapters divided by area and essential travel tips that make deciding what to see and do a breeze. Highly recommended!

Pub Date 07 Mar 2019.

Thanks to DK and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.

#Top10Tokyo #NetGalley
Omg,i would loved to had read this but the kindle wouldn't load it at all. Love learning about different places. Thumbs up still in my book.
Never lost in translation.

What can one say. Of course we all have our fav travel guides. The big ones that gave us places to stay, what to buy, what to see, maps etc. No self respecting backpacker leaves home without one or two. And yes I know the Internet knows all, but during my more mature years I've always bought the DK swag. Why? Because I love the color productions, the organization, the mini maps that you can carry unobtrusively and the lushness of them.
I use them way long after any trip as reminders, travelogues of where I've been and occasionally as dreaming tools of where I might be next heading.
This updated 2019 version of top 10 places to visit in Tokyo is informative and a pleasure to look through.
Its organizational themes are helpful enabling you to approach your sightseeing by interests e.g. temples, galleries etc., or by areas.
Once again a great DK production.

A NetGalley ARC
I liked this book.  It is very informative and fascinating.  I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone

An unbeatable, pocket-sized guide to Tokyo, packed with insider tips and ideas, colour maps, top 10 lists and a laminated pull-out map - all designed to help you see the very best of Tokyo.

Admire the world's largest collection of Japanese art and archaeology at the Tokyo National Museum, watch a traditional Kabuki show, explore the historic Imperial Palace Grounds or admire cherry blossoms in Ueno Park. From top 10 restaurants to the top 10 gardens and parks - discover the best of Tokyo with this easy-to-use travel guide.

Inside Top 10 Tokyo:
- Nine easy-to-follow itineraries, perfect for a day trip, a weekend or a week
- Top 10 lists showcase Tokyo's best attractions, covering Edo-Tokyo Museum, Tokyo Skytree, Senso-ji Temple, Koishikawa Korakuen Garden and more
- Free laminated pull-out map of Tokyo, plus seven full-colour area maps
- In-depth neighbourhood guides explore Tokyo's most interesting areas, with the best places for shopping, going out and sightseeing
- Colour-coded chapters divided by area make it easy to find information quickly and plan your day
- Essential travel tips include our expert choices of where to stay, eat, shop and sightsee, plus useful transport, visa and health information
- Colour maps help you navigate with ease
- Covers Central Tokyo; Ginza; Ueno, Asakusa and Oshiage; Roppongi and Akasaka; Aoyama, Harajuku and Shibuya; Shinjuku and more

Staying for longer and looking for a more comprehensive guide to the city? Try our DK Eyewitness Travel Guide Tokyo.

About DK Eyewitness Travel: DK's Top 10 guides take the work out of planning a short trip, with easy-to-read maps, tips and tours to inform and enrich your weekend trip or cultural break. DK is the world's leading illustrated reference publisher, producing beautifully designed books for adults and children in over 120 countries.

I wish that I had this book when I went to Tokyo - it was so smartly set out and the accompanying photos were extra useful. It may be "top ten" but it goes deeply into so many areas that may interest tourists and save them HUNDREDS on tours that "specialize" in areas of your interest. I would recommend buying the hard copy of it as it does have a laminated map which alone can cost you $50-100 if you try and buy it there for use or as a souvenir.

I plan to use this book and its map when I go back later this year - I love having someone who lives there to visit!! (ALthough I am pretty darn sure I can not afford the top 10 hotels and restaurants - Tokyo is deadly expensive!)

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by Millennials on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🍣🍜🍱🍚🗾🗻🌸🐡🍘🍙🍢🍤🥮🥟🍡🥠🍶 (yes, there are more than 5 but 	I loved this book!!!!)

NOTE: I cannot link this review to LinkedIn - there is something wrong with the linking/programming and it will not happen.
I was incredibly impressed with this book.  We were in Tokyo for the first time a few months ago and loved it so much that we are planning another trip this year.  I chose this book hoping to find some new places to go while there and was surprised at how much I had missed and how many more things of interest I could be seeing. The book is very smartly set up, very graphical and friendly, and extremely informative.  The title sounds like it would just be 10 things to do/see but that was so misleading.  It's a top ten in all kinds of subjects/locations/attractions (from food to museums) that can help visitors find the things that interest them most in Tokyo.

The book is broken down in to four sections:  34 pages of Top 10 Tokyo highlights (e.g., Senso-ji temple, Edo-Tokyo Museum, Ueno Park), another 35 pages of Top 10 of Everything (e.g., top 10 moments in history, top 10: historic buildings, museums, galleries, entertainment venues, children's attractions, etc. etc.), Tokyo By Area (Central; Ginza; Ueno; Asakusa and Oshiage; Roppongi and Akasaka; Aoyama, Harajuku, and Shibuya; Shinuku; and father afield) and then finally Streetsmart (getting to and around Tokyo, practical information, places to stay, phrase book).

As can be seen from the above, there is a LOT covered in this book.  I especially appreciated that if I wanted to see a museum, I could go to the top 10 list there and see what each offered.  Or if I wanted to see a traditional building/shrine, I could also get a nicely presented list with images.  The other sections, such as the historic buildings and top 10 moments in history, provided context and some reading material when on the bus or metro or waiting in line.

Because it is so beautifully presented, with copious pictures and nice graphical layouts that make sense yet provide the information in an easy-to-use but condensed format, I find this to be an ideal book to have a physical copy of and carry around in a purse or backpack.  I will definitely be bringing it with next trip and to help plan my itineraries while there.  Reviewed from an advance reader copy provided by the publisher.
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.

Wow, this book is really cool! It breaks down Tokyo into different categories of what you may want to see (modern buildings, entertainment venues, gardens, museums, etc etc). I had no idea that a lot of these buildings existed. They also provide little tips for insider knowledge on various items, which can be really helpful.

I think that breaking everything down into 10 items is incredibly helpful and you're able to figure out what you may want to see from that list. I have a pdf version, but I'm sure the actual physical version will be small enough to bring with you.  I think that if you're going to Tokyo for the first time that you will find this incredibly helpful because it can be overwhelming with so many things to see. DK has always helped me when it came to navigating a foreign country for the first time and this is no exception.

My only complaint is that mine didn't come with the streetwise part of the book about how to get around, where to stay, and that really cool pull out map. That just means I definitely need to pick up a physical copy when it comes out in May!
Thank you very much.
I spoke with the team and will be getting this title and a few others in hard copy to review
Thanks.
Top 10 Tokyo by DK is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early March.

Among the regions of Tokyo to visit, it unfolds ten different types of touristy locations, plus festivals that take place throughout the year with sharp, eye-catching text, maps, and suggested day trips built around a theme or area.
As a lover of Tokyo, I feel like this short book missed many of the sights that make Tokyo so great. I know that many things will be missed when setting out to create "Top 10" lists, but if a traveler were to use this guide alone, they would be missing many things that make Tokyo so great. For example, Akihabara and other districts that are more modern made me feel like I had stepped into the future, yet very little of modern Tokyo was highlighted.  I also believe the Tokyo Tower is an experience far better than the book would make it seem. This book is good for someone to use as a companion to other books, but by strictly using this book as a main travel guide, people visiting Tokyo would not get the full experience.