The Lost Book of Adventure

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Mar 2019

A perfect book for any adventurer - it makes great use of imagination while being a true guide at the same time. A fun to read from page one! Beautiful illustrated how-to guide and a great story at the same time.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read this book in return for a review based on my honest opinion

This book was not really what I thought it was going to be. I really thought that my granddaughter and I would enjoy reading it together; it seem like it be more of an adventure guide. I really don’t know what the age range for this book wise but I felt like it was for children to early teens before I read it after reading it a lot of it felt geared towards adults but not really geared towards adults I found it an interesting book with lots of information, but I’m not sure who it was geared for as an audience.
A dream come true in book form for any adventurous child, the Lost Book of Adventure is an absolute treasure-trove of inspiration and advice on exploration, camping and survival.

Peppered with awe-inducing snippets of a mysterious adventurer’s exploits and incredibly detailed explanations and diagrams, I found the level of detail in this book is quite astounding. The pastel illustrations are just gorgeous, building excitement and a sense of wonder in readers, while the text encourages a bit of daydreaming while staying sensible and bringing safety to the fore every time. This book is poetically written and is quite the sight to behold - I would have been absolutely ecstatic to get my hands on this book as a book-loving tween or early teenager.

One to pour over for hours, drinking in all of its glorious details, in anticipation of your own adventures both imagined and real.
This book makes me yearn for days full of hiking and exploring, warm nights under the stars, and above all, campfires.

The Lost Book of Adventure takes young children to coasts, forests, even their own backyard. It is filled with beautiful, rustic illustrations and handy tips on camping, exploring and all sorts of how-to guides for outdoor activities like fishing, hunting, and sailing. There are instructions on how to make a raft, shelter, and even pan for gold! It even includes a section on surviving in the wilderness.

This is a complete resource for any little adventurer on what to expect in the wild, how to survive, and what tools and equipment they might need to make the most of your time outdoors. Parental supervision recommended.
So, a little bit about me:  I am an urban dweller and perhaps not the most adventurous.  However, I would love to have been the (unknown) author of this absolutely gorgeous book.  She appears to have been fearless, resourceful, interested in all the world has to offer and yes, a good writer and a marvelous illustrator.

I loved (!) the artwork in this book.  Sometimes it was intricate and detailed, for example, showing in drawings the items that should be in a first aid kit.  Other times, it was an illustration of a beautiful place.  Much of the artwork was in muted tones of blues, purples, greens, yellows, etc.  that drew me in.

A brief  summary of the table of contents gives a sense of what is in store. There are headings (and a sample of subheadings) below including

Camp Wild (Becoming a Navigator, Planning Your Own Adventure and Tents)

Rafts (Raft Ingredients, Secret Island Expeditions and Wild Swimming)

Shelters, Dens, and Tree Houses (Night Among the Nomads, Shelters in the Sahara and Planning a Nighttime Forest Shelter)

Exploration (How to Climb a Mountain, Canoe Knowledge and Get Your Bike Adventure Ready) and

Useful Knowledge  (Lashing, First Aid Kits and Lifesaving Scenarios)

The editor of this book states that its contents were found in an old hut, in a tin case in the Amazon.  The editor states: "Hopefully, it will inspire us all to step into the wild and live a life of adventure, too."  I agree.

I give this book five stars and think that it will appeal to those of many ages, backgrounds and braveness levels.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a wonderful book.
This book whips up a sense of imminent possible adventure. Five stars.

The Lost Book of Adventure is a children’s guide to exploring the wilderness. It covers how to make a forest shelter, read a topographical map, and which foliage makes the best bedding. But it's not a dry guide. There’s an alchemy in its components which makes it persuasive and galvanising. The ruse is that old diaries were found in a hut in the Amazon. The diaries contained accounts of thrilling adventures and wilderness survival instructions addressed to two children - A and L. These diaries were found by trekker Teddy Keen, restored, and compiled into this very book...

The book’s core assumption is that children will go on these adventures: that they will build woodland dens, tie clove hitches, identify wild boar tracks, make bedouin tents from bedsheets, and scout river shallows for glimmers of gold. And that’s the magic of the book: it has fundamental confidence in the capabilities of the child and it whips up a sense of imminent possible adventure.

The instructions are clear and minutely, beautifully illustrated. I now feel completely capable of lashing together salvaged pallets to make a raft - with a mainsail, daggerboard, and hand-hewn paddles. I know where to put the boom, how many bottles will carry my weight, which side of the river to travel up, and which watercraft has right of way. I know how to use sticks to make an igloo, and - my favourite - an origami dinner bowl from a piece of birch bark.

Interspersed throughout the guide are excerpts from the journals of The Unknown Adventurer. He cycles 6,000 miles through Africa, sketches birds in Papua, and confronts a bushmaster in Guyana. From these glimpses, a personality appears: he is observant and resourceful; has a gentle, sly humour and reverence for the big picture: “It’s often only in the wild that the full meaning and enormity of the universe dawns on us.”

Does this all sound too daredevil? This morning my toddlers followed the instructions on how to make sleeping bags from duvets and bedsheets. They are now lost in an imaginary world of campsites and wild teddy bears.

In short, I loved this book. I’d recommend it for all children and parents, but also for illustrators, scout leaders, teachers, anyone with wilderness in their soul, and anyone who wants to reconnect with the outdoors - even if only from their armchair.
This certainly deserves five stars or more from the visual aspect, for it really is a wonderful book, with superlative illustrations of landscapes and other scenes.  But as for the text, well – it's a bit muddled, really.  It's supposed to be a guide to outdoor living and exploration, so the reader can learn a heck of a lot, from knife safety and what kind of tin to pack, to how to cater for yourself up a creak without a paddle, and even how to make like a bear in the woods.  The details and little illustrations for those pages are fine, yes – but why dress the whole thing up as a fictionalised diary?  I thought we'd at least get a bit of mystery and drama from the notes, some hidden kind of story adding to the purpose of the script that backed up their allegedly being found in a remote shack.  Instead it's a missed opportunity, and the mystique won't make a bookworm into a country-phile, any more than it will sit with the "don't do this without adults" disclaimer heavily pressed on us at the start.  So the text, as worthy as it is, comes at us with a peculiar flavour, and one that said to me a straighter approach would have taught us more.  Still, it perhaps would not have had the excuse to look this good...
Very detailed survival guide for young children. I do love the illustrations too. However, the illustrations feel as though they should be read with 3-D glasses on as the images give that feeling of a little blurriness and the text is way too small. Beautifully laid out though. With some tweaks this could be made into a five-star read but as it is I am afraid I can only rate what I see.
I received an Advanced Reader Copy from Lincoln Children's Books and Netgalley for my unbiased opinion of the book. I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! The note from the editor at the beginning of the book, as to how the book came to be made me fall in love before I went any further. This book is middle grade and above. It was great on the very first page stating not to try anything without adult supervision. The Lost adventure is great for getting children outside and living the adventure. Being resourceful rather than having your nose in front of a device inside the house all day. It makes you believe adventure is possible not just something you see on tv!!!! Run don’t walk and buy this book for your children. You won’t be disappointed.
Beautifully detailed with gentle, almost dreamlike illustrations throughout. The text is organised in a clear manner but the use of small sections and bulletpoints makes it very accessible to all readers including emergent or more reluctant readers. This will appeals to boys and girls of all age ranges. Can't wait to add this to my class library and do some small group guided reading work with it.
Filled with details of extraordinary adventures and escapades, expedition advice and survival methods, annotated with enchanting coloured-pencil drawings, The Lost Book of Adventure by Unknown Adventurer, is quite literally all of this and much more. It is an extraordinarily one-of-a-kind adventure book that transported me to the furthest corners of the world and to the mysterious beauty of the wild. From the coast to the stars, to the inhospitable desert to a night in a snow hole, there is no doubt that this book will inspire the adventurous spirit in you to go grab your bag and set out on your own explorations.

Extremely detailed and rich with magnificent colour artwork, it is unimaginable to think that this explorer has experienced and witnessed some of the rarest wonders our world has to offer. His brushes with death but his ability to live fearlessly and with freedom are perfectly captured within these pages, and we're extremely lucky to have this glimpse into this visual encyclopedia and love letter to the wild.
WOW. This book is SUPER pretty. The illustrations, the format. Okay, all of it is so beautiful. It makes me want to go outside and have my own adventure. I think this book will really convinced a lot of people to go to adventure. Perfect for kids and for parents to have an adventure together. And don't worry, this book will help you to have a fun trip together as it filled with tips, a little story here and there, the author's experiences and also set of list as a guideline for the kind of adventure you choose to do.

Great book! :)
Dear Unknown Adventurer,

I've found your book and loved every page of it. The wonderful illustrations and interesting information make me want to go out and explore nature.

Thank you for the survival tin instructions, check lists and instructions on where to camp, how to make fire and cook (I might not try the desperate meals, though), and how to use the bathroom, how to find/built shelter and what to do if I get lost.
The Lost Book of Adventure will spark the imagination of readers of all ages!
The book beautifully illustrates different camp/shelter set-ups and locations, guides for survival and safety, tips for planning explorations, equipment/supply lists, and instructions.  I enjoyed the brief stories of danger and adventure across continents written by the unknown adventurer.
The book contains brief yet detailed information that older readers (middle grade and up) will appreciate but the illustrations and more simple instructions (ex: How to make a bedsheet hammock, planning a bike adventure) will spark a sense of adventure in young readers.  My five-year-old daughter was thrilled to learn about treehouse building and backyard camping and her imagination turned planning these activities into some daring adventures!
The Lost Book of Adventure definitely contains a little something for everyone with an adventurous imagination!

Thanks to Quarto Publishing/Frances Lincoln Children's Books and NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.  The Lost Book of Adventure is scheduled for release on March 5, 2019.
The Lost Book of Adventure by Unknown Adventurer is brilliant throughout. This wonderful book is packed with so much information and a great  journal that written in a style like a survival guide but for young children.
It can encourage young people to explore the world around them and involve their parents etc to explore with them. This book could help with their new adventures it is packed with information on wild camping, rafting, exploration, and shelters and dens, plus tips on first aid and tying knots.

Plus, contains expert instructions on wilderness basics:
Like building a fire, what to do if you get lost.
How to build various types of shelters are accompanied by more specific skills culled from many years of experience.......For example:-  Baking campfire bread, creating a toothbrush from a twig, making a suture from soldier ants, and even how to pan for gold........What an adventive you could have - even if it's on your back garden.

This book is just Brilliant and great for your next adventures.....

Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The illustrations in this book make it worth a look just on their own - absolutely beautiful! I could see kids with a knack for adventure getting really into this book, especially before a camping trip.  Would make a good gift.
This book is brilliant! It's gorgeous, while at the same time practical and entertaining. I loved the desperate meals information. If you're hungry enough, I suppose you'll eat anything. And kids will surely discover the "Pooping in the Wild" page--maybe sooner than parents would like! :)
Reading this beautiful book created the desire to go explore the world myself. It would make a great gift. I read the digital download, but I'm sure it's even more beautiful in its hardcover format.
Great book! If I still taught fourth grade, I'd buy a copy for my classroom, It's a bit too advanced for the age level I'm currently working with.
Thanks to NetGalley for the chance to review.
An unknown adventurer journal/sketch book. This book is just gorgeous in every possible aspect, Great drawing style and illustrations quality. I enjoy that a lot. But as for the content of the book, I’m not so sure... It’s a journal that looks like a survival guide but for young children. I m8understand they can build their imagination with it and go on an imaginative adventure. But drawing of tent, raft, survival tips and more are maybe not what young reader might enjoy more. I love the visual aspect, but between the visual and the contents, I find the targeted reader a bit unclear and I have trouble finding for what age I would recommend it.
I enjoyed this beautiful guide to adventuring. This would be a wonderful gift for any child interested in exploring the world around them.
Thank you for the opportunity of reading this one!..
I felt it was a handy book to give to. 13 year old . as a gift.
very instructional.
I love the disclaimer at the beginning of " don't doing this without adult supervision"
Very oriented to boy scouts, adventure and survival tips.. from how to build a tent or shelter to how to treat animal bites..
The illustrations were very beautiful!