Literary Places

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Apr 2019

Through literature a  reader can travel around the world and back in time. Writers manage to make places feel more real than a photo ever could. They Capture sights, sounds, smells and essense. Great writers recreate not only locations, but eras and histories

"Literary Places" is a travel guide exploring 25 great literary places featured in some of the greatest novels ever made. . Literary Places Includes full page hand drawn illustrations and dives deep into the history of each place,, and the author that brings it to life.

Some of the places and works included are
Paris: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Kabul: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
New York: The Catcher In The Rye by J.D Salinger
Mississippi River: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Monroeville: To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The content is interesting and informative and the illustrations are very beautiful. However, I wish I viewed the book in print form instead of on my kindle for this reason.
Such a beautiful book! It has inspired me to travel to so many new places. The prose is great and it has a lot of great suggestions.
Thank you NetGalley, Author Sarah Baxter, Quarto Publishing Group - White Lion Publishing for the Advanced Reader Copy. All opinions are my own.

A beautiful coffee table book in my opinion. I love that it's about well known literary works as well as a travel guide if you will. Travel back in time  to places you've probably heard of and see some beautiful inspiring art. As an artist the colorful images were my favorites. I look forward to seeing this one in hardback copy rather than online.
I absolutely love this book! It’s a very unique travel guide, not your typical where to eat/what too see/typical tourist traps. It’s something much deeper. The author paints such wonderful images with words. Of course the illustrations are also beautiful! This book is a rare gem, and I hope to read more from the author!
I expected it to feature fictional places like Hogsmeade but mostly it has real world places and how they were featured in the said book. I wanted to know the behind the scene stories of the literary world's that different writers have introduced to us to
Thank you Quatro - White Lion Publishing and  Netgalley for this ARC.

The perfect combination for  booklovers whetting their wanderlust   A beautifully illustrated book that takes the reader around the globe and explores lots of different sites through the eyes of well known authors.

I loved the colour illustrations and reading about places I hadn’t heard of or learning something new about those I did.
A lovely gift as either a coffee table book or a companion to get cosy with as you  curl up and enjoy travelling on a new adventure.
What a great book! It mixes both travel writing and literature, as Baxter discusses the history and culture surrounding some of the most iconic locations in popular books. I discovered new books I wanted to read, learnt about places I've never visited before and loved to read through the ones I knew all too well!

This is a perfect read for anyone who loves travel and classic literature.
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the stunningly well done ARC.  This is like the best possible travel guide for a book lover.  The pictures were simply beautiful and the research that went into the book was evident.  I found myself adding quite a few places to my bucket list for sure.
A journey through some of the key locations of literature in a guide to literary travel for booklovers.
A very interesting and evocative travel writing book, covering twenty-five literary travel destinations around the world. Each travel spot gives a look at the area at the time the corresponding book took place, and compares it to the modern location- what's changed, what remains the same. A look at events and culture of the times help complete the picture. Rather than photographs, the book is filled with lovely, vibrant illustrations by Amy Grimes. Each location takes on a life of its own, like a character from the book it comes from. A very informative read for any bibliophile!
Literary Places by Sarah Baxter takes you through lit-inspired travel!
If you are a book lover then you must know and will have surely experienced the delight on travelling on the armchair, or wherever you sit to read. Writers can take us to the farthest places of the world in any time period they like and give us a sense of being in that place. The concept of literary places is indeed appealing to readers.

Literary Places by Sarah Baxter takes readers on a literary tour across the world. Good literature can help you traverse not only physical locations but also travel across time. The format of the book makes it accessible. Each chapter begins with a different place. There is a little snippet right at the beginning which tells the reader about which novel has evoked the place, as well as a little bit about the place itself.
In the book, we travel across time in Paris, during the era of the setting of Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables. The book paints a picture of what part of ‘that’ Paris is lost today and what still remains.
There were some places that I could immediately recognize because I had been there, such as Florence. But, I instantly wanted to reexperience the memories of this wonderful city through the book “A Room with A view” by EM Foster, thanks to this book. Being familiar with London, I could understand when the author spoke about seeing the city through “Oliver Twist”. The remark that “many a corner still conjures up the past” seems true of London even today, as does Dickens’ entire description of horrors on the lives of the margin.

And then there were places I had not visited and books that spoke of those, that I had not read. But, the descriptions made me want to undertake the literary and the physical journey. For instance, I desired to devour Cairo’s labyrinth of mosques, souks and secret, and also relive them by reading Palace Walk by Naguib Mahfouz.

And then, there were places I had read about in other books, and I longed to see how still other books of fiction would do justice to these. I have not read Burger’s Daughter by Nadine Gordimer. But, it talks about Soweto, and I have read another book on the struggle in this township. I have read Arushi Raina’s, When Morning Comes, and the Soweto therein, makes me feel familiar with the Soweto described in Literary Places.

Think of “Literary Places” as a literary tour guide. You can hold it in your hand (or kindle!) and actually trace the paths of the authors and characters of yesteryears. You can see for yourself what has remained and what has changed. You can feel the pulse of the place beating in the book or can sense if the passage of time has dimmed the flavours. Let it become a journey of sorts- a journey within as much as it is a journey without.

Literary Places by Sarah Baxter takes the reader on a journey to 25 different places through 25 different books. To add to the experience, there are some truly breath-taking illustrations.
Love this beautifully illustrated coffee table book by travel journalist Sarah Baxter, which offers a colorful look at 25 literary locations around the world. You’ll be introduced to Heathcliff’s gloomy moors, Hugo’s City of Light, Quixote’s sunny La Mancha, with details on how place, culture and history impact famous authors’ famous works. With gratitude to author Sarah Baxter, Quarto Publishing Group - White Lion Publishing, and Netgalley for the ARC. Opinions are fully mine. 5 of 5 stars.
Literary Places by Sarah Baxter: I will recommend this title through Readers’ Advisory, book clubs, and events and my library. My Library has purchased a copy of the book to be add to the collection. I did not submit this book to LibraryReads.
The tautology of describing a character as "Naïve ingénue Lucy", and mixing up Joyce's 'Ulysses' with his 'Finnegans Wake' - it's the latter which is considered the most unreadable book in literature - as well as the confusion between interred and interned, mean that this book could probably have benefited from an editor.

The concept is alluring; pick 25 of the cities or other places represented in world literature and describe how we can return to the scenes of the books. Paris of Victor Hugo was a stinking, crowded, dark city; the modernisation swept away many streets and created those wide boulevards, too big to barricade. But some of the locations can still be found.  Similarly, Florence of A Room With A View is still a warm, scented, cultured contrast with an English city, while Naples still has the mafia and backdrop of Vesuvius experienced in M'Amica Geniale or My Brilliant Friend. The Spanish mountains of For Whom The Bell Tolls are still available for walkers. Yes, we can go and visit, even time travel. Dickens' London, Austen's Bath. Mahfouz's Cairo, Gordimer's Soweto, Hosseini's Kabul, Twain's Mississippi.

We get a little of the life of each author, and where they are buried, in case we'd like to visit the tomb / grave. Some authors later became controversial. Quite a few are Nobel laureates, or Booker winners, or similar. This may have been a standard used for selection. Because of this, you could also take the book as a guide to a list of literature to read and cross off, in order to be well-read and well travelled. I haven't read all the books. And confession time: I had presumed that The Catcher in The Rye was about a farming community. Rye fields. Apparently it's set in New York City. I had never heard anything about this book that made me interested in reading it. After this summary, I definitely am not interested, and I still don't know where the rye comes in. I did read Harper Lee's book aged 12, and I was fascinated to find how much of the action I could retrace today.

The account I enjoyed most in this book is how scholars puzzled out clues from Don Quixote to recreate the journeys of the book across La Mancha, where today we can see museums, plazas with statues of characters and a preserved farmhouse.  The illustrations are simplistic and, as described at the back of the book, bright and bold. The idea is to capture the essence of each locale rather than to reproduce faithfully. I could not see all of them in my e-ARC but I enjoyed the pictures I did see.

I downloaded an e-ARC from Net Galley. This is an unbiased review.
An interesting book, especially to anyone that reads a great deal. I was really taken with the illustrations of the setting of the various book stories and back history of the locations. I was intrigued at what would be included on the story of hanging rock, as I lived for over 30years at Macedon, and found it very factual. The rock is a very spiritual place and one can feel it when wandering through the area.
Enjoyed the book, and my travel within the places I have read about.
Literary Places makes for a perfect coffee table book as Sarah Baxter takes you on an enlightening journey through the key locations of literature’s best and brightest authors, movements and moments.

With short chapters, comprehensive research and beautiful illustrations, Baxter outlines of the history and culture of 25 literary places around the globe including the wild Yorkshire moors from Wuthering Heights to Lucy's romantic Florence in A Room with a View and the languid backwaters of Arundhati Roy’s Kerala.

A perfect book to dip in and out of, I got lost in the wonder and culture of each place which for most resulted in me going back and re-reading the original book or dreaming of visiting the locations for myself.

I'll definitely be checking out Baxter's Spiritual Places, and look forward to what will come next in the Inspired Traveller’s Guides.
This book has very nice illustrated maps and has a lot of great stories and details. I did like that. The format was a bit too much for me, would be great in a version that is designed for multiple short reads.
This book is the perfect combination of two things I love - travel and reading. After reading it I’ve added lots of new places to my want to go here list.
In Literary Places we get a tour of twenty-five places around the world and their relation at a point in time to  literary history.  Some of the locations are to be expected (Paris, Dublin) but others are a surprise like Alabama (To Kill a Mockingbird) and Naples (My Brilliant Friend).   One of the delights of the book are the illustrations by Amy Grimes.  Beware that it's very possible you will come from the book with a list of books you want to read or reread..

One caution, this is a book that doesn't come across well on an e-reader,  For that reason, and because I already knew I liked it, I bought a hardback copy.
A fantastic read - a non-fiction book that talks passionately about the writer's craft to take the reader to a place or give life to a place. Literary Places is a journey throughout literature history and the world at the same time, plus the illustrations are magical and capable of capturing the places described just as well as the literary works featured in this book.

It was a joy to read!