Cover Image: I'm Not Dying with You Tonight

I'm Not Dying with You Tonight

Loved this book. The themes and content are so relavent and I feel the action make it engaging and entertaining even for kids who may not enjoy reading.
A solid 3 star read.
I really enjoyed listening to this. It was an exciting read and I enjoyed the twist and turns that happened throughout the story. I love that 2 girls from different backgrounds helped each other and became closer throughout the situations they were put in. if you're looking an intriguing, meaningful, light read, this book is for you.  I hope I'll get to see new releases from these authors in the near future :)
Taking place over the course of one night, Campbell and Lena are forced to find a way home after chaos erupts at a school event. Campbell is white, Lena is black, and both are forced to examine and justify their perspectives on life an racial bias as they work together. The beginning is slow going, but it picks up once the teens are on the road. It's hard to say what the message was though. Unlike 'Dear Martin' or 'The Hate U Give,' I didn't walk away from this book with any feeling of it trying to say something. I could tell it was trying, but it didn't quite make it.
Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to read this ARC prior to the book's publication, but we did end up buying multiple copies it for our library collection. It's slated to be a Fall 2020 book club book.
Incredible YA about finding a connection when you never expected it. The entire store is told in just a few hours and it's a fast-paced ride through the lives of 2 teens. I loved seeing the story from each girl's perspective. The writing was superb and these authors have long careers ahead of them. Give this one to fans of Angie Thomas, Lilliam Rivera, and Nic Stone
I’m not dying with you tonight is a great story with an interesting premise. Two teenage girls (one black, one white) have to rely on one another when they get separated from their families and friends during a race riot. This especially had a lot of really good dialogue as the two girls get to know each other!
Thanks to Netgalley for an advanced reader copy. This was a beautiful tale of an unlikely friendship. It was nice to see these two girls overcome together.
“I’m Not Dying With You Tonight” is “The Hate U Give” meets “This Is Where It Ends.” Two girls, from two different backgrounds, with very different personalities, have to work together to get out of a bad situation. But while “I’m Not Dying With You Tonight” is reminiscent of those books, it lacks some of the appeal of the former two. It lacks the sense of urgency the others have. So many of the decisions that are made - decisions that take the girls into “danger” - are decisions that don’t always seem logical. And even the danger never really seems to be anything too worrisome.

One thing I did really like, though, was the relationship between the two girls. It seemed rather organic and never forced, unlike others elements of the plot.

While this book wasn’t bad, there are a lot of other books along this time theme that I would pick instead..
Two high school girls, who only know who each other is because they have a class together, are thrust together when a high school football game turns into a riot with a shooting involved.  They escape together only to wind up in another riot as they attempt to locate Lena's boyfriend.
A fast moving story about two girls who most definitely aren’t friends, but are thrown together when a fight breaks out at a school game and end up in the midst of a riot on their way home. Reminiscent of Ferguson and Charlottesville, Jones and Segal write a moving story about trauma, survival, racism, and friendship. #netgalley
This book was an incredibly fast read--I think I devoured it in 3 hours. The chapters are short and alternate POV in a way that keeps the momentum up. It is set in Atlanta and does a good job of placing it physically within that location. We read it with my book club, and it left us wanting to know more about what happens to the characters next.
When both girls attend the Friday-night football game, what neither expects is for everything to descend into sudden mass chaos

They aren't friends. They hardly understand the other's point of view. But none of that matters when the city is up in flames, and they only have each other to rely on if they're going to survive the night.

The characters were very well developed, I felt for each of the girls and the plot was something that has and could happen again. The writing is amazing and the text doesn’t read like two different people wrote it. The book is one of those that you should read, I highly recommend it

First time reading from this author, I really enjoyed the book.

I received an ARC for an honest review from Netgalley, and I actually bought the book also.
Hello!

Somehow (and honestly I am still not even sure how) I have been like a reading machine. I am reading like a ton of books lately and killing my TBR piles both virtual and physical. I am really hoping whatever this mood is does not go away anytime soon because I am absolutely loving it. As I mentioned in another blog entry I recently got a new kindle and I have just been wanting to use it all the time and read all the books on it. I remembered that I had a copy of this book on my kindle but I kind of wanted to try a new function! So I tried using my Libby audiobook app with my kindle to listen to this book (which was highly unnecessary because I could have listened to the book any other way but it was lots of fun)!

SPOILERS AHEAD

Lena and Campbell both go to the same school but have never really meant before. Campbell is new but not that new, she moved in with her dad after her mom got a new job and moved out of the country. Now Campbell finds herself working roped into working the concessions stand on a Friday night, knowing no one but she figures whatever at least its something and its kind of familiar. However, mass chaos begins at the game when a fight breaks out that soon turns to rioting in the streets. Lena and Campbell are thrown together and are forced to work together to try to get away from the chaos and home safely.

I enjoyed this book so much! I started the audiobook and almost finished it in one day (I stopped with like 15 minutes left because dinner was ready and I had plans with my husband). But I finished listening to it like as soon as I got up the next morning. The story of Lena and Campbell trying to make it home and hearing bits and pieces of their life stories at the same time was very interesting. I did not want to stop, I wanted to see if they would get home safe, and who would be involved, and if they did not make it home safe I wanted to know why. I also wanted to know more about both girls and their lives. I am giving this book five stars on Goodreads and I highly recommend this book! It was available via my library on the Libby app. Also, one last point but I love this cover!

***Thank you to the publisher for a netgalley E-ARC
Wow!  What can I say about this book besides that is is fantastic.  It really makes you think and I know high school students would enjoy this text.
Thank you to Netgalley, the author and publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I like that the story took place in one night but at the same time it felt a bit rush.  I like that you can learn from bout points of views.
Wow, that was dynamic and hectic and this book only takes place in a night! It felt like the Purge, but deeper with a current social issue. Campbell and Lena are definitely two strong characters who contrast each other, but are still similar. I loved how their unexpected friendship grew and how they both learned from each other. This is definitely a necessary read.
This was a fast-paced read that I read very quickly. I really enjoyed the characters and watching their friendship form, and I think the story is one that will stick with me for years to come. I've seen others comparing this story to The Hate U Give, and it's, of course, reminiscent to that and equally important, though I don't think the story was emotionally impactful in the way The Hate U Give was. That said, these types of books are so necessary, and I don't think it's possible to read too many stories told from these perspectives. Great YA read.
What an incredible book! I really enjoyed watching the friendship grow between Lena and Campbell. Campbell clearly doesn't understand how different life is for people of colour and it was good to see Lena calling her out on it. This book is up there with the likes of The Hate U Give. The events in this story seemed realistic and reminded me of similar events that happened in real life a few years ago. I got caught up in the story and didn't want to put the book down. I highly recommend!
This book just didn't feel as important and believable as it should have. Many YA books such as T.H.U.G., deliver more emotional and impactful stories on the racial divide. This is still worth the read, but if I was asked for my top 10 YA books about the subject this wouldn't make the cut.
It is said there are there three points of view to every situation; the way you see it, the other person and the truth. In I'm not dying with you tonight, Segal and Jones share how two people can view on night very differently. The dual perspective gives a profound view of racial perspectives. The narratives give the reader a well-rounded account of what happens to the two girls throughout the night. The authenticity in which the authors give to each character is empowering and gives a diverse voice to how situations and encounters are experienced. Yet, in some areas, the story flowed a little slow and the characters seemed to be a little stereotypic. Which made the book harder to continue.