Where There's a Will

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Jun 2019

I love a good "finding one's path in life," story, but unfortunately I just didn't care about Hannah and her journey. This one did not work for me, but I'm thankful for the chance to review it, and I would definitely try more by this author!
I love the cover of Where There's a Will.  I didn't care quite as much for the characters and while it was a decent book overall, it wasn't really for me.
I really enjoyed this book for the most part. Thank you Netgalley for a copy of this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

I want to rate this a 3.5. While it was enjoyable, I think the beginning was dragged out and the ending was rushed. But the middle was great! I loved Hannah and could relate to her, especially with dealing with familial tension. Uncle Donald was a delight as well!
A cute book. Opening with a disastrous interview, Hannah at 25 has no idea what to do with her life. Her great-uncle Donald led her a mysterious bequest in his will, but in order to find out what it is she must take n a series of tasks. With the help of Alec (her uncle’s assistant) she undertakes the tasks and learns about her great-uncle sinful herself along the way. I loved Donald and hw we got to know him. The book was slow at times but overall a fun and cute read.
I really enjoyed this, it was light-hearted, funny and really relatable. I never liked the character Alec much, even though we were kind of supposed to dislike him, it wasn’t even a “love to hate” kinda thing for me. Donald and his letters were probably my favourite part. This is one i will definitely recommend to friends!
Delightful read full of charm and wit with a great cast of characters that really jump out of the page. I loved getting to know Great Uncle Donald through his many tasks and letters to Hannah and it was a great medium from which to shift from the past to present. Where There’s A Will was a great reminder to enjoy the simple things in life and whilst not heavy on the romance it was enjoyable to come along on Hannah’s journey and watch her flourish throughout the course of this book.

It was such an entertaining read that I flew through it in the one sitting and had me smiling long after. Thanks to Netgalley and Hodder & Stoughton for providing a copy for review.
I found this to be an entertaining read. There were some very sweet, emotional, and funny moments. It is about finding yourself, growing as a person and falling in love.

I would recommend this book to rom-com fans,, especially if you enjoy characters who are a little bit quirky and cute.

It was not a predictable read at all, which I like, it really kept me on my toes which I think it a great quality from this debut. I shall look forward to more.
I thought this was a cute book. Hannah, the main character is likable and I think many women can relate to her. This was a fun read!
Where There's a Will by Beth Corby, is an OK book about a very dysfunctional family.  I really wanted to like this book, I loved the cover, but this book just wasn't for me.  I did not find anyone in the family likable, which left me not really caring what happens.  Please don't take my word for it, give this book a try.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and the publisher.  Thank you.
Opening with a disastrous interview for a teaching position, Hannah is tired of the ‘what next’ attitude from her family, the increasing debt of her seemingly endless forays into university and the studying.  Always having felt like the ‘afterthought’, particularly where her not very nice and always in the spotlight sister is concerned, she just wanted to have a bit of time to herself, with the interview behind her, to regroup. But, in an unwise moment she shared with her sister, and thus her failure (or unsuitability – as she really had no interest in actually teaching, but more seeking a job to start paying off debt) to make a start on ‘adulting’.  All of this is coming on the heels of a family gathering at the house of one Uncle Donald – their grandmother Betty’s brother, black sheep of the family, and a total mystery.  The entire family has been requested to attend, and the conversations, expectations and moods are high.

Donald lives in a grand-ish house named the Laurels, and for the most part, Hannah’s relatives are behaving exactly as she expected: assessing the space, man and their prospects with manners both cloying and false.  But after the singular meeting, a few short asides from Hannah to Donald, and they are off back to their lives, until news of Donald’s death reaches them.  From the reading of the will to threats of contest, angry words and plenty of self-serving planning, only Hannah was asked to hang back, for she was bequeathed something very different.  A series of tasks to be completed one after the other to receive her inheritance. Hannah agrees and we are off……

This was the second or third title with a similar “beyond the grave’ aspect that sought to direct actions or provide enlightenment through a combination of physical acts and letters of explanation, all with the purpose of obtaining the bequest.  What sets Hannah’s story apart is her reactions to, and interactions with the three people who are keys to the whole thing. Alex, Donald’s PA is there to monitor her progress and assist her, Donald, the deceased who feels so present and palpable through his letters and the one who threatens to bring everything down – Mrs. Jennings.  Throughout the tasks, some that push Hannah to her limits and test her already shaky self-confidence, she’s gaining insight, learning to rely on her own instincts and enjoying the ride – even when she’s wondering just how worth it this might be. But never in a mercenary way: she’s only curious about furthering the feelings and intrigue that Donald engendered on their one meeting, and getting to know the man better. This is a fun escape story with plenty of moments to make you think and smile.

I received an eArc copy of the title from the publisher via NetGalley for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Review first appeared at   I am, Indeed

Hannah's 25 years old and doesn't know what to do with her life. But then everything changes when she met Donald, her great uncle. They will meet only one time, but that will be crucial.
When he dies he leaves her some tasks to accomplished with the help of his PA Alec and the promise of a grand reward if she completes them all.
This is a light hearted and entertaining read, I really enjoy it. Donals was really a great character and I've grown to adore him. The love story was cute, but what I really loved were the tasks, all the suggestions and great life lessons.
I'll definitely read more from this author in the future!

"Be brave now, do what you want to do now, and never allow anyone to make you feel insignificant".
I absolutely adored this book, It was very funny in the right places, but also extremely poignant in others. In Hannah, Beth Corby has created a really relatable and likeable character. The plot was well-paced and it was a perfect choice when I wanted a light-hearted and entertaining read. Overall, "Where There's a Will" was a well-written romantic comedy. Highly recommended.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Hodder & Stoughton via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Would you take the chance that could change everything?

After leaving university at the age of twenty-five with no idea what to do with her life, Hannah is stunned when she is left a mystery bequest by her rich, estranged great-uncle Donald.

But there's a catch: before she can find out what she's inherited, she must undertake a series of unknown tasks alongside Alec, Donald's reluctant (but rather gorgeous) PA.

As the tasks progress and she and Alec grow closer, Hannah begins to think that Donald's real gift might have more to do with love than money . . .

3.75 STARS!
This was such an enjoyable read for me! The kind of book I love when I'm desperate for a rom-com.
The plot was fresh and fun, and honestly, I'd love to see this brought to life on the big screen, to see Hannah's journey play out before me (and not just imagine it).

WHAT I LOVED:
- Hannah! She was sweet and genuine and I felt for her as soon as I met her, desperately trying to find her place but not really knowing what it is. I honestly would have loved this book for her journey alone, let alone it being a romance.
- Donald! I love eccentric older characters in books and Donald did not disappoint - like Hannah, I was so drawn in to his backstory.
- The journey - but I'll let you discover that for yourself.

WHAT I DIDN"T LOVE SO MUCH:
- Hannah's family. I honestly hated Hannah's sister and I felt like her presence really disrupted the developing romance for me in an almost irredeemable way. By the end, I don't actually think I was really rooting for the romance pairing because of this, otherwise it might have been a 5 star read for me.

WOULD I READ ANOTHER BOOK WRITTEN BY THIS AUTHOR AGAIN?
This was a good debut novel but, while it was enjoyable, I found that the pacing was rather slow at times. There's slow burn and then there's a lack of spark; this book seemed to have the latter for me.

I could relate to Hannah quite a bit. The one who seems to be the family misfit? The one who isn't sure what she wants to be when she grows up? All things that a lot of people have dealt with over the years. Having her great-uncle Donald take a shine to her in one afternoon, and then send her on a quest to find herself (and him) was a beautiful thing to see.

Normally I'm not a fan of flashback story telling, but this wasn't quite like that. Getting to know Donald from his youth through his betrayal by his sister to his later years was a bit heart-breaking. He seemed happy enough, but had he truly ever loved or been loved? That seemed sad to me, but he was able to do some real good for a few special people.

I was not happy with Alec and him sidling up to Lauren. Logically I can see what he was trying to do, but he did really hurt Hannah in doing so. And the whole subplot with Mrs. Jennings seemed to be added simply for additional (and unnecessary) drama; it didn't add anything to my enjoyment of the story, and rather annoyed me instead.

But the writing itself is quite good. Characters are well-formed, dialogue is well-done, and the whole concept was a delight. I look forward to reading more by this author in future.
I'm clearly in the minority here, but this book just didn't work for me. The characters are all pretty unlikeable and annoying, and the bickering between all the family members got old very quickly. I got bogged down by that at the beginning and then had a hard time investing in the story that followed. Many other readers seemed to enjoy it, though, so to each his own!
Hilarious, relatable, fun read. Hannah is a likeable, well-developed character and it's easy to start caring about her. A pleasure to read, and a great story arc. Loved it.
What an unexpected, heartfelt, real life novel reflecting a young woman, Hannah that’s not sure what she wants to do with her life after college. It was so engrossing I read it in hours!
Thanks Netgalley fir allowing me to read in exchange for an honest review!
I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

I really honestly loved this book. I was drawn in instantly - Hannah is hilarious, relatable and absolutely brilliant. From the very opening of the book you're shown just how subtle she isn't in her everyday life.

Right from the beginning I was laughing throughout this book, the opening with a failing interview was brilliant. Relaying exactly what we all fear could happen, but seeing Hannah actually encounter it. Savage but hilarious. Straight away I found myself caring about this character and eager to see how her adventure would unfold.

When Hannah leaves her interview she's contacted by her elusive sister she doesn't have the best of relationships with, to be told that she has to attend a short notice family event, to visit an uncle she's never met - and that not attending isn't an option. It isn't long before we're then introduced to Donald who is absolutely hilarious throughout! He's thrown a lavish party to get to know his family again after being out of touch due to bad family history and he's eager to get to know the family he wasn't aware of. Little do they know that Donald is actually dying, he is instantly drawn to Hannah and her wicked sense of humour and the fact she is very much the 'black sheep' of the family, reminding Donald of himself. They connect over dinner and Donald gives Hannah invaluable advice and encourages her to take up her own writing, an old passion she had which she hasn't before been confident enough to follow.

Three months following the party - the family attend Donald's funeral and are present at the will reading to find out exactly what Donald has done with his fortune, except Hannah get's more than she ever imagined - a series of 'tasks' to carry out before her undisclosed reward is awarded to her, she has no idea what these tasks are but she is given an option to accept the challenge, or reject and not receive her reward. Obviously Hannah accepts and this is the beginning of her wonderful adventure.

I laughed out loud with Hannah throughout these tasks, they were fun, character building and really enjoyable to read. I loved that a little drama was added into the mix when old characters surface to try sabotage Donald's plans too. This book has plenty of reminders to enjoy the life we're living and to remember to have fun too.

Albeit slightly predictable, I still really enjoyed reading this book and I definitely found it difficult to put down. In fact, I devoured it in mere hours - always the sign of a good book! The only reason I didn't rate this a 5 star was because it was a little predictable so I didn't find myself obsessing over the story after i'd finished (a personal preference I need to dish out a full rating) Saying that, I do absolutely recommend this book for avid contemporary / romance readers, it doesn't disappoint!

Overall: 4**** - I really enjoyed this book. A pleasant easy read, with plenty of humour and sass! Easy Recommendation!
This was a really easy, quick read that I got through in a few days. It's full of charm and really delves into the problems that we may all face at times with regards to not knowing what to do with our lives. It has a real feel good factor within it and I did find myself smiling a lot throughout reading. I felt it was very heartwarming and perfect for reading when you need a pick me up.

Plotwise, it was very easy to follow, well paced and I found myself becoming so invested in Hannah's journey. I just wanted to know what the next tasks where and what she was going to get in the end. Also, I loved reading Donald's letters and finding out more about his life. He was such an eccentric character and despite dying early on in the book, we still got a mass of his brilliant personality throughout the letters Hannah received. If I'm being honest, reading Donald's letters had to be my favourite parts throughout the entire book.

Hannah's character was your typical twenty-something woman and I found myself relating to her a lot. Like her, I'd come out of university not knowing what I wanted to do with my life and I, too, struggled a lot for a year or so. Being able to relate to what a character is feeling is crucial when I am reading a book, so this was a pleasant surprise. Her relationships with different characters were also really interesting to read. In particular the relationship she had with her sister, Lauren. I really didn't like Lauren at all, and even at the end of the book I hadn't grown to like her in the slightest. However, Hannah managed to grow a backbone and put her in her place, which was great to read! In my opinion, every character within the story had a unique personality and I found myself loving several of them. Especially Mrs Crumpton and Lady Jane.

As you would expect in a book like this, there was romance involved. Mind you, it wasn't a romance that started straight away, it was a slow burner of 'will they or won't they?'. Alec, the love interest of Hannah, was a very complicated character to begin with but as you get further into the story we start to learn more about him and in the end he became one of my favourites. I was always rooting for Hannah and Alec and their relationship warmed my heart at the very end.

Where There's A Will was an enjoyable tale all about self-discovery, love and finding out who you really are. It was a pleasure to read and I would love to read a prequel all about Donald..please let it happen!
This was a rather charming book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hannah is a member of a dysfunctional family, and said family are invited to meet with her great-uncle Donald. Uncle Donald is an interesting old fella, who has the ability to spot who is genuine or not, a mile away.

Hannah ends up living in Uncle Donald's house, sharing close quarters with his PA, Alec, who has a story of his own to tell.

I liked the fact that Hannah had to complete different tasks, and that she was a girl who was doing the best she could, with a lot of nasty characters in her family. She was like a lot of young women, not quite sure which path she should take in life. I wouldn't wish her sister Lauren on my worst enemy, she sounds dreadful!!

I give this book 4.5 stars, a really lovely read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Hodder & Stoughton.