Perfectly Good Crime

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2019

Another great read by Dete Meserve. After loving Good Sam and reading it in one sitting, I immediately wanted to continue Kate's story, so I downloaded Perfectly Good Crime. I think I may have liked it even better! I grew up in newsrooms and television stations because of my dad's career, so that setting felt like home to me. I also loved that there's a character who drinks copious amounts of Dr Pepper and that the author knows that "Dr" does not have a period after it in this case. That's the Texas girl in me noticing that kind of detail.

But truly - it was a great read, a surprising end, a thought-provoking premise. I hope there will be more.
Perfectly Good Crime by Dete Meserve. Wow. Kate Bradley as a reporter is searching for who Robin Hood is. There is amazing detail in this story. I liked the ending. I like that she kept saying Robin Hood cannot steal from the rich to give to the poor. Is very hard not to wish for certain things or outcomes as you read this story.
A seamless romantic mystery that unfolds in an engaging story of social awareness meets mystery movie of the week. A great follow up Good Sam.
Perfectly Good Crime is the second book in the Kate Bradley series. I did not read the first book, Good Sam, and find Perfectly Good Crime to be a stand-alone book. I liked Kate as a tv reporter. I liked that there was a mystery to solve. Someone or some group was robbing the richest people around LA and giving to the poor. This book is a mystery and a love story. I do feel that the last part of the book did not come together for me, Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for an an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is one fantastic, page turning book! I was quickly pulled into this story and just had to keep reading. I have not yet read the first Kate Bradley book but I had no trouble getting into and enjoying the story. These are well developed characters that peak your interest in their jobs and their lives. A common theme in some of Dete Meserve's books is kindness and compassion. Here it is a Robin Hood story of taking from the ultra rich and giving to the poor. I really loved the story and am anxiously awaiting her next book. I highly recommend this book!
I received an advance copy of this book from Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley and I voluntarily wrote an honest review.
Knowing that this is the second book in 'A Kate Bradley Mystery', and finding many books can be read as a standalone, i went ahead and read this book. Glad i did as it turned out to be an enjoyable book, but do feel i ought to read the first book at some stage. Dete Meserve is an author whose name will stay in my mind for future books that i hope to read.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy.
"I am Robin Hood, I take from the rich to give to the poor..."   This line is what I'm most familiar with in the story of Robin Hood.  In Dete Meserve's book, Perfectly Good Crime, she has taken the basis of Robin Hood's words and actions to create a wonderful story twist of a modern day Robin Hood mystery.  I was enthralled with this premise.  "Is it possible to commit a perfectly good crime?"
This is the second book in the Kate Bradley series.  I was so excited to read this book after reading the first novel, Good Sam!  I knew I was going to be in for a fantastic read...and I was so right!
It's hard to justify stealing from anyone and while I was reading, it was the big question.  Is it ok to steal from the rich if it makes the lives of those less fortunate so much better?
The characters in this book are so likable.  Especially Kate Bradley.  She is so relatable and so wants to do the right thing. She asks the hard questions as a reporter.  She has a personal life that I kept hoping she would be able to work out, too.  I love her grit, determination, and desire to report the truth.  This story took me into the uberrich society through the wonderful written descriptions Ms. Meserve is so talented to write.  I could visualize the estates and mansions that she eloquently wrote into the story of the actual properties.  How grand and magnificent!
I really liked this passage in the book:
"The Robin Hood story lives-like most important stories-in the murky shades of gray between what's good and what's not.  Yet there is such a thing as a perfectly good crime."
This is a wonderful story.  It made me feel good.  I love that Ms. Meserve's novels focus on good and kindness.  Being the best we can to others.
I want to thank Ms. Meserve for writing this fantastic book.  I also want to thank Lake Union and Netgalley for the opportunity to read a five star novel that I enjoyed so very much.
This is my  freely written and honest review!  Five stars!!
Lindas Book Obsession Reviews “Perfectly Good Crime” by @Dete Meserve, Melrose Hill Publishing

Wow! Wow! Wow! I absolutely loved everything about “Perfectly Good Crime” by Author Dete Meserve.  The Genres for this wonderful novel are Fiction, Mystery, Suspense and Romance. This is the second novel in the Kate Bradley Mystery Series, but can be read on its own merits.  I enjoy a thought-provoking novel, and “Perfectly Good Crime” left me thinking, and yet, I  lost another night sleeping, because I just couldn’t put this book down. The author describes her colorful characters as complex, complicated and intelligent.  The time-line for this story is mostly in the present and goes back to the past when it pertains to the characters or events in the story.

Kate Bradley is a TV News Reporter in Los Angeles and finds herself in the middle of a demanding story, where  billionaires, über wealthy people find themselves being robbed. The most sophisticated equipment is not able to keep the thieves away.  Who could be capable of doing this? Why is this being done?  As Kate continues to investigate, she finds that enough people want her stopped. A good friend is missing, and subtle threats are thrown her way.

What makes Kate’s job more difficult, is that it is almost impossible to get information from the victims, or the police. Also, whoever is behind this is encouraging a special type of change than can make a huge difference.

I highly recommend this intriguing, intense, captivating, riveting, and enthralling novel to readers who enjoy thought-provoking stories. Kudos to Dete Meserve, who always makes me realize that kindness is contagious.
Perfectly Good Crime is another wonderful story from Dete Meserve! I loved the people I first met in the book #1 of this series, Good Sam, and I enjoyed spending time with them again.

I love the character of Kate. She is an honest, hard working reporter who always seems to land a story that becomes big news. As she sets to find out who is robbing the richest men in the area, she also discovers that someone is giving riches to the poor.

At the same time that Kate is researching and reporting on this compelling story, one of the biggest television networks is trying to lure her away from her current job and life. Will she be able to make the right decision? And will she be able to have the life she wants and deserves?

Dete continues to write great 'feel good' stories that show that not all news is bad. There is just the right amount of mystery and romance to keep all of her readers satisfied and I look forward to reading more of this exciting, interesting series!
Robin Hood!  That's what Kate concludes when high tech billionaires are robbed and then benefits appear for those with considerably less.  She's a reporter on a mission, despite her politician father's demand that she stop because she's annoying his campaign contributors.  Meserve has written an entertaining novel of the haves and have nots combined with a newsroom (wonderful scenes there!). There's also a nice romance between Kate and her first responder love Eric, which is, as these things must be, up in the air when she gets a career opportunity.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  This is a fast, entertaining read that doesn't require you to have read the first one (and now I'm looking forward to another!)
I'll start by saying that I had not read the first Kate Bradley Mystery and that was fine - I didn't feel like I was at a disadvantage and was easily able to follow the story line. I really enjoyed the plot of the book - stealing from the ultra wealthy to give to the poor. For me, I felt like the book was a bit slow in places (but again, this could just be me) and I also would have liked a bit more focus on Kate's personal life, especially since her romantic relationship was a big factor in a large decision that she had to make later in the book.

Thank you to Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for providing a copy for review.
I absolutely loved this book and found it to be rather unique, filling a category of it's own...thoughtful crime fiction, with side of romance, and a hearty helping of social justice all seamlessly mixed to create a riveting, but heart-warming plot. The writing is really easy to follow and flows well. Usually when I begin a new book, it takes me a bit to get into the writing style of the author. This story flowed smoothly from page one and immediately swept me away. The story was not only intriguing, but incredibly thought-provoking and important, while still possessing a tenderhearted sweetness that moved me. The characters felt real, relatable, and likeable, while still being people I aspire to be on some level. I thoroughly enjoyed each moment of this story and was sad to see it come to an end, though the ending was fully satisfying. I hope Dete Meserve continues to write unique stories like this one.
An exciting and entertaining book. I loved the plot, the characters and the style of writing.
The mystery is solid and it kept me guessing till the end.
Recommended!
Many thanks to Lake Union Publishing and Netgalley for this ARC. I voluntarily read and reviewed this book, all opinions are mine.
Perfectly Good Book. This was my second book of Ms. Meserve's after having read The Space Between last year, and while very different it showed that she is truly a very gifted writer. It is hard to say much about the content of this book without going into spoiler territory, so I will simply say that it was a very quick and very enjoyable read that raised a lot of questions and had what appears to be a decent amount of balance to the overall mystery here - if you subscribe to the dominant thinking. Overall a great new tale that uses a legendary tale in a modern setting to have a discussion about larger issues while telling an interesting story and continuing the world set forth in the previous book.
This was an exciting triller that I will not soon forget. Had some difficulty falling asleep having read it. The writer depicts some super stressful situations that have a significant impact on the lives of the characters. I highly recommend this amazing book.
The plot revolves around the investigative journalist kate . true to the title there are series of   burglary in rich localities , kate is involved in finding the thief .A good read with trill. Will surely recommended it  others to read.
Journalist Kate reports on Robin Hood type robberies from the rich and wealthy. The book is very well written but I found the plot predictable and boring.
Dete Meserve does it again.  Incredible journey, could not put it down.  Hope there is a follow up to this book. Love the series, Good Samaritan is the first in the series, but this can be read as a stand alone.

I hope that those who read this one as well as Good Samaritan, will want to be like others and find good deeds to pass on. A smile goes a long way.

Kate Bradley is a news reporter that gets caught up in an intriguing set of thefts.  Being a daughter of a senator is not easy, but it gets Kate into see people she wouldn't normally have access to.

Does Kate defy her father's wishes or does she find the facts?

The uber rich are being targeted by "Robin Hood", who is stealing from the rich to give to the poor.  Kate thinks she knows who he is, but can she prove it and advance her career?  Does she give up her true live to have her own show?
Kate is a reporter in southern California when the sudden heists of millions of dollars worth of art work, jewelry and cash from extremely wealthy men begins to happen. She is also having a on/off relationship with handsome fire fighter Eric and is wondering if she should take a new tv job in NY city. After money from the heists is used to give to the poor the thieves are dubbed Robin Hood. Kate is also under pressure from her Senator father to stop reporting on the heists. An interesting plot idea that was sometimes bogged down in details but overall a satisfactory  read.
'Perfectly Good Crime' is a follow-up novel in the Kate Bradley Mystery series- with the first book being 'Good Sam'. While I did not read  'Good Sam', I feel like I didn’t miss out on too much as the second book makes references to 'Good Sam' throughout the novel. However, I am still considering picking up the first book in this series as I’ve become quite attached to the characters.

In 'Perfectly Good Crime' we follow news broadcaster, Kate, as she takes on a top-selling new story about a series of heists revolving around several LA estate owners being robbed and losing millions of dollars because of this. This news coverage is a new one for Kate as she usually covers high profile stories such as murders and natural disasters, but this time she decided to take the lead in the most recent news story about a $3 million heist that was executed in a couple of minutes, avoiding high-tech surveillance cameras, motion sensors and alarms. With the help of detective Jake Newton as her insider on the exclusive details of the crime scenes, they soon discover that this heist is the first of more to come and they’re only getting bigger.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book’s plot and Kate’s character. She is someone who constantly questions her own decisions because she never wants to disappoint the people she holds close in her heart and her audience who look to her for the latest news reports. We watch her struggle to find the line between her professional life and her personal life, and it soon becomes blurred when Kate finds herself making a decision on whether to follow her career path to its new heights or follow her heart.

This novel not only presents a mystery that seems to never end, but it also blends nicely with the other plot lines in the novel and it is definitely well written. The characters and the way they handled the situations that they were presented with was realistic and well thought out. The mystery was engaging and thought-provoking as we find ourselves caught between the complexity of selective media reporting and political influence on the media.

In Kate's words:

"What did the viewers gain from knowing about these murders and tragedies? Were we simply selling fear and sensationalism?”

This is the first book I’ve read by this author and it definitely won’t be the last. I sincerely hope the author continues with this series as I am eager to read more about these characters.

I'm giving this book 4 stars and would recommend this to anyone who wants to read a cosy mystery that is a breeze to fly through and engaging. I thoroughly enjoyed every second of reading this novel and hope there’s more to come from Kate Bradley.

Thank you, NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for providing me with an advanced reader's copy of ‘Perfectly Good Crime' by Dete Meserve.