Death of a Wedding Cake Baker

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 May 2019

Death of a Wedding Cake Baker is a clean Death of a Wedding Cake Baker is a clean cozy mystery.  It is part of a series but I enjoyed it without reading the entire series.  The characters are well developed, even the secondary characters have a good story.  I think the plot is well thought out and the mystery is satisfying.  It is a book that held my interest and I recommend this book
Death of a Wedding Cake Baker is the 11th installment in the Hayley Powell Food & Cocktails Mystery series. Haley's best friend, Liddy, is going to marry her much older boyfriend, Sonny, and Liddy's mother pushes her to choose her difficult cousin, Lisa, who is a great baker but impossible to get along with, to make the wedding cake. Unfortunately, Lisa is found dead, a victim of poisoning, and Haley is now responsible not only for baking the wedding cake, but also for solving the murder in addition to other tasks having to do with the wedding.

This entire series is well-written and easy-to-read; this particular novel has a good plot and good secondary characters. As is typical of this series, and this novel, there are several unexpected twists, and of course the who-done-it is a surprise at the end. There are also some interesting things happening with the relationships of the bride, groom, and Haley, along with the bride's overbearing mother.

Because these books are cozies, there is no graphic sex, violence, or language, so they are suitable for all ages. These books are great for vacation reading, beach reading, or airplane reading. Fun, Fun, Fun.
This is the eleventh book in the Hayley Powell series.  Hayley is the maid of honor for her best friend, Liddy, at her wedding.  When Liddy's mother forces her to have her cousin, Lisa make her wedding cake, Liddy is less than thrilled.  But when Lisa turns up dead after making the cake Liddy wanted, things become a bit complicated.  I love these characters and always enjoy visiting with them.  The mystery was well done.  I did not guess who it was until the very end.  I also loved the cliffhanger at the end of the book and really need the next book now so I can find out what happens.  Overall this was a great read.
I've been a fan of this series since the very first book and they've only continued to get better! One of the things that I love about this series is that it is very character driven and you get very emotionally invested into the characters. This particular book had one such storyline, where the main plot and some subplots directly revolved around one of the main supporting characters, which made me even more interested and invested in it.

The plot was solid and there were multiple subplots, which kept a very fast and action packed pace, which I like. It did end of a bit of a cliffhanger, but that makes me super hungry for the next book!  I'd definitely highly recommend this book, author, and series. There are also recipes, which is a plus as well, in my opinion.
"Death of a Wedding Cake Baker" earns 5/5 Wedding Toasts...Clever Fun!

New to Lee Hollis's Hayley Powell Food and Cocktail Mystery series, but I'm always in for "Cake," and excited that cozy "Karma" baked up some just desserts! The mystery was clever (bride's nasty cousin is poisoned) with a steady pace and enough clues to "play along," but my inner Sherlock was delightfully challenged. It ended with most issues tied up, but there appears to be a cozy cliffhanger that is typical for this series. Written in a third-person narrative, although not my favorite perspective to be an observer, it is done well with vivid, some delicious, descriptions, well-developed characters (I love Hayley! But I admire Liddy!), and lots of dialogue that illustrates personality and tone. The book is a great length with depth in the story and character interactions, but Hollis doesn't use a lot of extraneous falderal. I enjoyed and recommend this eleventh book, easily joining in as a newbie fan!   I love the extra treats cozy writers add to their work. Hollis incorporated into the story several recipes for delicious food and cocktails perfect for her newspaper column. I plan to try the Lemoncello Prosecco Cocktail and Pomegranate Cosmo and who can pass up Baked Crab Poppers and Vanilla Cake with Raspberry Filling and Lemon Buttercream Frosting. Oh, yummy!
I was really excited when I heard that this book was coming out. As one of my favorite Cozy Mystery writers, I had some pretty high expectations for this book but Lee Hollis definitely delivered! I thoroughly enjoyed DEATH OF WEDDING CAKE BAKER and can’t wait for the next book!

As you can expect, this book does circle around a wedding and it belongs to one of Hayley’s closest friends. If you’ve read any of the other books in the series, then you may already be familiar with Liddy Crawfield. Now that she is getting married, a lot of preparations have to be made, including who will be baking her wedding cake. Liddy’s mother insists that her cousin, who is a renowned cake baker, do it. However, Liddy has not been on good terms for her cousin for a while and that brings lots of tension between them. So when trouble occurs, Hayley must step in before Liddy’s wedding is completely ruined.

My favorite part of this book is the fact that it doesn’t daddle with the extra fluff. The writing is tight and precise and gives just enough hints to keep the reader engaged. It also have other conflicts on the side, like for example, the tension between bride and groom or bride and mother, which also adds a little something to the book. But it still keeps the mystery the most important aspect of the book. Overall, it’s just a really well-written mystery that I think a lot of people would enjoy.

If you haven’t read this series already, then I would totally recommend it for something fun and exciting.
So this is the first book in this series that I really didn't enjoy.  Too much time was spent on random plot details that really didn't move the story forward.  The big reveal at the end of the book just didn't work for me.
I love this author. I enjoy the characters. Its a great series and this installment doesnt disappoint.
Death of a Wedding Cake Baker:  A Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery
By Lee Hollis
Kensington
May 2019

Review by Cynthia Chow

Hayley Powell may not know who first spoke the words of the sentimental toast she may be plagiarizing, but she truly believes in what she’s saying at the wedding shower of her BFF Liddy Crawford.  No one really thought that Liddy would manage to get the much younger, boy-toy attorney Sonny Lipton to propose, and perhaps that explains why Liddy seems in such a rush to run down the aisle.  Hayley has only a few weeks to fulfill her overwhelming duties as the Matron of Honor, so she should feel relieved that Liddy’s mother is determined to take over the event.  As the one paying for the wedding, Celeste insists that it is her vision that is being fulfilled, and that includes hiring Liddy’s much-hated cousin Lisa Crawford to bake the wedding cake.  After presenting several nut-laded samples to the nut-allergic Liddy and getting fired, Lisa ironically meets the fate of being found face down in the top-tier of the only cake Liddy actually desired.

Liddy is determined that even a dead Lisa won’t ruin the wedding plans, so keeping the bride out of jail is added to Hayley’s Matron of Honor to-do list.  Gossip has Liddy topping the list of suspects most likely to have wanted the baker dead, which means that when not trying on hideous dresses or attending an embarrassing stripper-filled bachelorette party, Hayley tracks down Lisa’s furious exes and cheated business partners.  With bets being placed all around Bar Harbor on whether or not Liddy will ever manage to drag Sonny to the altar, Hayley seems to be the only one optimistic enough to believe in the possibility of true love.  As cynicism and sarcasm flows throughout the town, Hayley’s delightful Island Food & Cocktails columns describe past wedding experiences as a guest and briefly happy participant.  The chaos of failed plans and family battles at least bring people together, concluding with good food and a lot of booze.

The brother and sister writing team of Rick Copp and Holly Simason continue to deliver a surfeit of laughs and hilarious situations as Hayley gets herself in and out of trouble.  Mona Barnes continues to be the grumpy third accomplice to Liddy and Hayley’s exploits, rolling her eyes at Liddy’s tenacity in mowing down everything in her path in order to get a ring on her finger.  Hayley may seem a bit naïve at times, but her genuine love for her family is a refreshing counter to the event’s superficiality.  Hayley’s brother-in-law Sergio does his best to uphold the law as the malapropism-prone police chief, while her brother serves up customized, potent drinks at his Drinks Like a Fish bar.  Hayley has her own romantic path that is going unexpectedly well, and through her food and drink columns readers see her good humor and ability to stay relatively calm amidst the chaos.  Recipes for party food and cocktails are of course included, ensuring that readers will be satiated, and possibly inebriated, by the end of this thoroughly engaging and fun novel.
Death of a Wedding Cake Baker by Lee Hollis is book 11 in the Haley Powell Mystery series. This was the first one I have read and was able to be caught up from chapter one! It can be read as a stand alone.
This is a great cozy mystery that has it all. You have the typical bridal humor with bridesmaid dresses and  a Bridezilla mother of the bride. You also get plenty of twists and turns keeping you guessing along with romance, family, friendship, laugh out loud moments, overall a great easy to read cozy.
 Thanks to Netgalley and Kensington Books for an ARC for an honest review.
Cliffhanger!!
I had no idea that this was one of a series of mysteries. There is no indication of that in the book; it stands alone exceptionally well. This should be a cozy, but there is way too much sex and drooling cougars to be called a 'cozy' in my book. Most of the story is about demanding women. While they are professionals from normal backgrounds, they are too much like the housewives from the Jersey Shore. All drama, yelling, self-serving, narcissistic behavior without much love or loyalty (even among the friends). While there are spots of genuine feeling between our heroine and her lover, it is a pretty rare occurrence in this book.  This is not my type of story and it took me forever to read as I could only stomach about 2 chapters at a time. Then, after forcing myself to finish the book, it ends in a cliffhanger!! I have no intention of reading the next story to see how this one ends. The crime part was good and well played. Here is a question for the author, why is it the first reaction to anything to go investigate themselves instead of calling the cops? Beyond that, yuck. I received this ARC book from Net Galley and this is my honest review.
In this next book of the series Hayley's best friend Liddy is finally getting married.  She is marrying local attorney Sonny Lipton and with their age difference it is all anyone can talk about.  Wedding plans are on track until Liddy finds out that her mother hired her much hated cousin Lisa to bake her wedding cake.  She would love to put her foot down and say no but her mother is paying for the wedding which leaves her no choice but to go along.  Things go from bad to worse when Hayley finds Lisa face down dead in a cake much like the one Liddy has asked for, for her upcoming nuptials.  The suspect list is long and Hayley wants to do everything she can to keep LIddy's wedding on track.  Things don't look so good for the wedding though when at every turn Sonny is showing up and he won't talk to LIddy about what is going on.  He says he loves her and wants to get married so Liddy soldiers on.  Hayley doesn't know what is going on but is determined to figure things out before her best friends big day.  With Lisa dead she has the extra pressure of baking the wedding cake.  Will she be able to find a killer and bake a beautiful cake before the big day?  Follow along as she tries to do that in more in hopes of keeping her friends day a happy one.  This was the best book yet, I was surprised in the end and loved the direction that the author took with the characters.  I look forward to seeing what journey she takes them on next!!!
An amusing cozy mystery. Bridezilla, along with mother of the bride, one of the bridesmaids, and even the groom, all cause havoc. There was one glaring inconsistency regarding a phone that may have been cleared up since I was reading an ARC. The dreaded cliffhanger had me shaking my head. I enjoy the protagonist's newspaper columns that separate the chapters, along with the recipes. I considered skipping the one near the end. Glad I didn't. Death of an Author is my name for the book now. I do look forward to reading the next one.
Death of a Wedding Cake Baker by Lee Hollis is the 11th book in the Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery series, and another great addition to the series. Hayley is busy helping her best friend, Liddy, plan her wedding.  Liddy's nasty cousin Lisa is baking the wedding cake, until she is found dead.  I really enjoy the character of Hayley, she is fun and you can't help but like her. This book is fast paced with a well thought out plot and great characters.  This might be my favorite book so far in the series with all the surprises.  Once I started this book, I had to keep reading, until I was done. I often find myself laughing out loud I strongly recommend this book/series for all cozy mystery lovers like myself.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and Kensington Publishing. Thank you.
A five star cliffhanger ending after a roller coaster ride of wedding preparations involving three unlikely friends makes this a fun ride. Haley Powell's best friend is getting married but the brides emotions are out of control and deceptions are adding up to the point that Hayley wonders if the wedding will or should take place.

This is book #11 in A Haley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery but could easily be read as a stand alone. Thanks to NetGalley and Kensington books for an ARC. The opinions expressed are my own.
This particular series is a personal favorite of mine. I love the different twists and turns that the author includes in every book.  I’m always excited to see a new book by this talented author.
I loved this entertaining, enjoyable and fun to read book.
It's a well written mystery with a cast of likable characters and an interesting plot.
The mystery was good, no plot hole, and it kept me guessing till the end.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to Kensington Books and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Weddings can bring out the worst in people- even when the bride (especially) and groom are, ahem, mature.  Hayley, who has solved any number of murders, really finds herself on the spot in this latest installment in a cozy series that you'll  fine reading as a standalone.  Her friend Liddy is the bride and even she though she and her cousin Lisa don't like each other- not in the least- she hires her- and then fires her to make her wedding cake.  Lisa may be a good baker but she's a real pain so when she's poisoned, Liddy, the most recent person to have a run in with her is the main suspect.  Thanks to Hayley, however, she's not the only one.  Hayley's also helping Liddy deal with her groom-to-be.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  Classic cozy for fans of the genre.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

It's always nice to pick up a cozy and feel like you just fit in with the characters. The cast in this one isn't overwhelming, and you soon know who they all are and how they relate to one another. Food is obviously the theme with this series, and this one focuses on the wedding of Liddy, Hayley's good friend. It's when their disagreeable wedding baker is killed that the mystery starts, but there are layers of mystery here as to who is the target and why. At some points it was over the top dramatic, but after a while I just accepted the crazy and went with it. Liddy was written perfectly for that role, and although you never really LIKE her, you enjoy reading her character.

I thought this was a fun mystery and I'd like to catch up on the series. I did find that by having the recaps and recipes IN the text instead of at the end like a normal cozy mystery distracted me from the events at hand though, but I get the feeling that is how the rest of the series was written and it worked up until now- I'm the odd one out here. If you're looking for a new mystery or an established series, don't go past this one. Five stars!
Death of a Wedding Cake Baker is the eleventh book in the Hayley Powell Mystery series written by Lee Hollis. This is the first book by Lee Hollis and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

For Matron of Honor Hayley Powell, catching a half-baked poisoner before her friend's wedding will be icing on the cake . . .

Liddy Crawford, best friend of food and cocktails columnist Hayley Powell, is getting married. The wedding is the talk of the town in Bar Harbor, Maine, including snide gossip about the age gap between the bride and her groom, local lawyer Sonny Lipton. But the cruelty of the comments is nothing compared to the nasty wedding cake baker, Liddy's quarrelsome cousin Lisa.

So when the belligerent baker is found facedown in a three-tier cake, the victim of a poisoned slice, there are more suspects in town than names on the guest list. With Sonny getting cold feet, Liddy getting hot under the frilly collar of her wedding gown, and a killer possibly crashing the ceremony, Hayley vows to solve the crime before her best friend walks down the aisle . . .

The mystery is interesting and well plotted, and I loved the quirky characters which are well developed. There are plenty of twists and turns in this story, and I kept guessing and second-guessing myself on whodunnit right to the very end. The story moves at a steady pace, and I had a hard time putting it down.

I cant wait to take another trip to Bar Harbor, Maine, to see whats new with Hayley and her friends.
I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading light, cozy mysteries.

I received an advance reader copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Includes seven delectable recipes from Hayley’s kitchen!