The Rumor

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Aug 2019

This book was really well done, grabbed my interest from the very beginning and had me hooked until the surprising end. I thank Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this interesting story.
five out of five stars for The Rumor by Lesley Kara! I loved this book - such a great page turner. with the holidays coming up, this in the perfect read to get a break from reality. thank you to net galley and the publisher, who provide this e copy for free in exchange for my honest review.
I found The Rumor by Lesley Kara to be quite entertaining. I think this book accomplished what it set out to do as a suspense novel.

Joanna returns to the small beach town where she was raised in with her son Alfie. It seems she is having a hard time fitting in.
In an attempt to fit in with the other mothers, Joanna repeats a rumor
that a child killer was in the witness protection program, after her release she was sent to their town.
Obviously the rumor spreads, as rumors do, everyone is suspicious and pointing fingers and wondering who she is. Are their children safe?Are they in danger?
There are enough characters to keep you guessing and all or most of these characters have a secret of their own they try desperately to protect.
The plot thickens before the “big reveal”, then there’s that ending I did not see coming.
If you’re in the mood for a quick, light entertaining mystery/whodunnit, this is the book to read.
Single mom Joanna wants to fit in badly with the "in crowd" of moms at her son's new school.  She shares a rumor that she overhears in hopes she will become more popular with them - it takes a turn for the worst when it ends up hurting more than helping.
I found the book to be a bit cumbersome - too many characters, too many misleading turns (I get author's want to create red herrings but too many ends up being hard to keep up with) and a pretty predictable ending.  The title grabbed my attention and I had high hopes but unfortunately it wasn't a book for me.
Thanks to Lesley Kara, Ballantine Books and NetGalley for the ARC of this book.
Great idea, flawed execution. I was so looking forward to reading this but unfortunately it never came together for me. The plot and the writing never gel the way they need to in order to make The Rumour work. Still, I would read more from Ms Kara.
A rumor can be a dangerous thing, often taking on a life of its own, and causing widespread emotional and psychological destruction in its path. For Joanna Critchley, a somewhat single mom who just moved back to the very small, quaint hometown of her youth, rumors can be deadly. When Joanna hears a rumor that notorious child killer Sally McGowan May  be living in her small town under an assumed identity, Joanna finds herself in the center of perpetuating the rumor in exchange for some small favors from the other mom’s at her son’s school. Initially, she only hopes to help her son Alfie. In the small town atmosphere, the rumor spreads like wildfire, and for Joanna it soon becomes  all encompassing.  Just as Joanna starts to wish she had never heard the rumor, it takes a turn for the dangerous.

As a suspense novel, this story does its job. It kept me engaged and entertained. It did have some twisty plot points that I didn’t see coming, but in a genre saturated with quality suspense novels, this story won’t jump to the front of the pack as a leader. It is a competent novel, and it will entertain you. While it may not shock you, it is sufficiently surprising to keep you interested in the characters.
I thought this book was okay.  I was very confused by the relationships between the people and felt like the characters could have used more description.  For example, I had no idea how old anyone was.  So that made it hard to "figure out" how the people ended up relating to the central mystery.  Overall it was an enjoyable book, but I would have liked it more if I had had more information.
3.5 stars for this very readable story that draws you in to the mystery and makes you need to know what truly happened.  There were many red herrings, and you kind of suspect everyone, which is the mark of a good whodunnit.  I didn't necessarily like how the twist played out and had myself a bit of an eyeroll.  However, the very very end - the last sentence - packed a bit of a punch.  Moral of the story on this one is be very careful of idle gossip.  You never know who is listening and what might happen if your rumor turns out to hit a nerve of truth.
I'm a little torn on this one....

On one hand, its one great plot twist after another. But on the other one, it makes you think about a person - how do you really know a person? Could someone who did something horrible once do it again?
If this book teaches you anything it’s to never start a rumor. Ever. Oh man that’s all I can say. Loved it from beginning to end! The twist shocked me, but at the same time didn’t. It wasn’t really overwhelming but it got my heart pumping.
Rumors can be a nasty thing. A few years ago, I made a New Year’s resolution to stop gossiping- and while I’m certainly not perfect, there’s been a positive impact on my life.

This novel reveals just how quickly a rumor can spread and how many people’s lives can be affected by a careless comment. Joanne hears that convicted child-killer Sally McGowan may have moves to the sleepy, beachside town of Flinstead. And when the nuggets of information fed to her by her son’s father, a reporter, earns brownie points for her and friends for her son, she wonders whether sharing what she knows can really be that bad.

Turns out, it can. Soon, she’s suspicious of every older woman in town- and she’s not alone. One woman in particular is targeted, and her shop is vandalized. Is this the deserved treatment for a murderer? Or a horrible act on an innocent woman?

Lesley Kara’s writing ensures that you suspect everyone and trust no one.
I really liked this one.  It was pretty intense.  And a few good twists.  I liked the main character and found her to be very relatable.
Lesley Kara’s The Rumor, is a thrilling mystery that left me guessing until the end. Each time I thought I had figured it out, the plot shifted. The many twists and turns kept me reading-The Rumor was hard to put down!

Kara got me invested in her characters and believable storyline. The ending was not at all what I expected!

I look forward to more from Lesley Kara and highly recommend The Rumor.
All I can really say about this book is, I completely did not see that ending coming. Because of my busy schedule this did take me awhile to finish, but this book had a great plot twist.
I literally suspected everyone and their dog, and still ended up being surprised by the ending! The Rumor starts with our protagonist, Joanna, trying to get to know other moms in the neighborhood so her son can make friends. She hears a rumor that a former child murderer comes to the neighborhood and spreads it to gain her new friend's interest. Well, it seems the murderer has found out! This was an interesting book that I stayed up way too late to finish.

Thank you to NetGalley for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The Rumor, by Lesley Kara, pulled me into the story from the start. I kept trying to figure out who the guilty party was but I didn't see it until it was revealed and then as I thought back, I saw how the clues were introduced cleverly throughout. All of the characters serve their purpose and are interesting in their own ways. This is an intriguing read and I highly recommend it.
A solid mystery story focusin on a 50-year-old murder case that rocks a small town in present day. A strong female protagonist is the focus of the story as she finds herself embroiled in rumors and innuendors related to the murder. With the help of her journalist partner, she uncovers secrets long burried that changes the way she sees her world. Quick read.
What starts with a little harmless gossip among mothers at the school drop off spreads quickly.  The story moves a little slow at first but then picks up dramatically to the end.  Stay with it.
A great psychological thriller.  The characters are fantastic and I really related to Joanna. This book was cleverly written, the clues throughout keep you guessing without spoilers. Thanks for the arc copy.
Fast-paced thriller with lots of twists.  An easy read, but not great character development.  I didn't see the big twist coming, but it was somewhat unbelievable.