The Rumor

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Aug 2019

What starts with a little harmless gossip among mothers at the school drop off spreads quickly.  The story moves a little slow at first but then picks up dramatically to the end.  Stay with it.
A great psychological thriller.  The characters are fantastic and I really related to Joanna. This book was cleverly written, the clues throughout keep you guessing without spoilers. Thanks for the arc copy.
Fast-paced thriller with lots of twists.  An easy read, but not great character development.  I didn't see the big twist coming, but it was somewhat unbelievable.
A little harmless gossip among the moms waiting at the school drop-off.
Did you hear? Rumor is, there’s a child killer now released from prison living in their seaside town. Could that be true? If so, the obvious next question is, are their children safe from this predator?

This particular feed of gossip peaks the interest of one of the mom in particular, Joanna.
Curious, later that night she googles the story. Gripped with fear, she realizes she may have just met this person! Maybe she needs to warn everyone...maybe it’s not just a rumor anymore!

Lesley Kara writes an intriguing and suspenseful thriller that I flew through in just a few sittings. Though I guessed most of the twists fairly early, I still enjoyed throughout.
What a suspenseful read! What a little town full of some big secrets! Although I guessed the twist from the beginning, I don’t know why, it was just a feeling. I don’t think it was obvious. I enjoyed this book and recommend it.
The Rumor
A Novel

by Lesley Kara

Random House Publishing Group – Ballantine

Ballantine Books

General Fiction (Adult) , Mystery & Thrillers

Pub Date 18 Jun 2019

I am reviewing a copy of The Rumor through Ballantine Books and Netgalley:

There is a rumor that a notorious killer, who committed heinous crimes as a child is now living under an assumed identity in the seaside town Joanna lives in. Who is the criminal hidden in their midst? No one is above suspicion!

Just as Joanna becomes obsessed with the case her curiosity will put her Son and his Father on the radar of the notorious killer who just may be ready to kill again. Joanna will come to the realization just how dangerous a rumor may come, and she’ll learn how far she is willing to go to protect those she loves. She will soon regret having ever said a word.

I give The Rumor five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!

Advertisements
I loved the premise of this book and a thriller based on what seems like an innocent rumor is intriguing and extremely readable. The character development was good and kept the plot moving. I was surprised to see that this was a debut novel. I will definitely be looking for further work from this author and appreciate the chance to read this one. It did not disappoint.

#TheRumor #NetGalley #RandomHousePublishingGroupBallantine #BallantineBooks
2 stars ⭐️⭐️

My gosh this book was so boring for the first 200 pages. So many characters that I just couldn’t keep up and by then, really no longer cared to try.

Maybe I’ve just exhausted my mind with psychological thrillers. Maybe I keep falling for these blurbs that promise “jaw dropping twists” or “the twist you never saw coming”. Who knows. What I do know is that The Rumor did not fit those descriptions.

I skimmed the last 150 or so pages, just because I did not want to DNF it. I simply lost interest in waiting for the big twist and my mind became frazzled from the dragging storyline.

Thank you to NetGalley, Random House - Ballantine and Lesley Kara for the advanced copy in exchange for my honest review
What would you do if your sibling, parent, child, friend were killed and the killer spent minimal time in jail?  What would you do if you found out the killer was released into witness protection to live their life out as if nothing happened?  What if one rumor spread innocently can bring the whole world of that killer down?  This is what the story is about.  There were interesting twists and turns.  The book started off a tad slow, but sped up at the end.  A good read.
Anyone who played the rumor game as a child knows how a simple statement can be twisted until what escapes is nowhere near what was said.  That's the central them of the story, but the circumstances of spreading a rumor come home to have terrible results.  A community reacts and consequences are meted.  An excellent thriller from Lesley Kara.
I guessed the ending at the beginning. Very weirdly written -- some of the parts had too much detail while others didn't have enough. Would not recommend.
After leaving the city for the small beach town in which she was raised, Joanna finds she doesn’t fit in with the other mothers at her son Alfie’s school. In trying to get their attention, she repeats a rumor that a notorious child killer was in the witness protection program after her release, and had been sent to their town. Things quickly spiral out of control, with innocent people being accused and harassed, and Joanna is unable to slow the progression of things, especially after it becomes all too personal.

I will admit I did not expect the reveal about Sally McGowan’s current identity, and I enjoyed the suspense and the way the storyline flowed. I was a bit put off by the style of writing; I don’t think the book translated all that well from a British story into one for an American audience. Some phrasings weren’t ones Americans would use; for example, saying something was “brilliant.” That aside, I enjoyed the book and found it interesting and exciting.
This was an engaging story which kept me guessing.  No spoilers but there was one part that just caught me by surprise.  I love to be caught by surprise when I am reading!
This book is really a 3.75 but Goodreads doesn’t give us that flexibility. If you’re looking for an easy thriller to keep the pages turning, this is it! Joanna has relocated back to the small coastal town where she grew up from Boston. She is looking for a simpler life for her and her young son. Settling in near her mother helps provide stability. As she tries to ingratiate herself with the local moms, Joanna plays into the rumor mil. She inadvertently spreads a rumor that has potential to ruin lives. Is her hometown the hideout spot for an infamous murderer? Or is this just a terrible rumor? Read to find out. It’s your perfect summer beach book
I received a free e-copy of The Rumor by Lesley Kara from NetGalley for my honest review.

In 1969 Robbie Harris, who was five years old, was stabbed to death by Sally McGowan, a ten year old.

Since Sally's release, she has been in witness protection. She has a new name and a new identity so no one knows who she is or what she looks like now. But there are rumors that she is living in Flintstead.

Joanna Critchley is moving from London to Flintstead with her son, Alfie. He was bullied while living in London so the fresh start will hopefully help. Joanna's mom also lives there and it is where Joanna grew up.

Moving back home has been a big change for Joanna. She joined the local book club but just hasn't put herself out there yet to meet people or make friends. One day while at the gates of Alfie's school, she joins a conversation with the other moms about the rumor of Sally McGowan. Then, at Joanna's next book club meeting she brings up the conversation.

Soon, the rumor is spreading like fire all throughout Flintstead. There are lots of women living in this community that could potentially be Sally McGowan. How far will a rumor go and how many lives can be changed or destroyed over it. A gripping and chilling read that will keep you guessing.
An engaging thriller, I found The Rumour to be unputdownable. It sees single mum Jo trying to fit in with the women in her new town, where she has moved to be closer to her mum after her son was being bullied at his school in London. In trying to be liked, more for her sons sake than her own, she passes on a rumour she has heard, that a famous child killer has been living in the area, and unwittingly releases a chain of events that sees Jo eventually fighting for everything she holds dear.
Though I did figure a great deal of the twist of this one in the first third of the book I didn't have it all worked out, so I found myself racing through the novel to see how it all came together. A good read for lovers of psychological fiction.
My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is a great book!  Every time I thought I had things figured out, there was a twist.  And the ending caught me by surprise.
Overall I found this book a little dull. A few twists but most were predictable. Overall it was a really quick read though.

Thanks for the ARC, Netgalley!
Have you ever seen a rumor quickly spiral out of control like a fire across a parched prairie? In The Rumor, Joanna sees this scenario play out in real time, at times often aiding the public's urgent hunger for more information, whether true or not.
Kara has written a jaw droppingly good thriller, with the expected twists and turns that keep the reader second guessing to the very end. I was able to see some of them coming before they had fully landed, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment. However, it was a tad unnerving to read a book that feels and sounds like it's set in a small British town when there are frequent mentions of the setting actually being a Chicago suburb. The tone and nuance of the characters' speech, as well as what I think of as more typically British names, made this lose a sense of setting. I believe the author originally had this placed outside of London, and wish the publishers (or whoever it was who made the decision) had stuck to that when it was printed for the American market. As it is, there are certain moments where I felt pulled out of the story when something struck me as being particularly British sounding/influenced and then be told I'm to believe this is taking place in middle America.
Apart from that one quibble, I found this book to be a marvelously done with likable characters that I bonded to almost instantly, children who were well written without being either too precocious or too infantilized, and a tense conclusion that led to a believable ending.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the free advanced copy. This did not influence my review.
This started out great......and then it just went on with nothing happening.  It's been a week now and I am still only 30% of the way through and am struggling so hard.  Should I keep going?