The Rumor

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Aug 2019

Perhaps it’s because I put this book down in the middle to read a book that I’ve been dying to read for months. Or perhaps it’s because I read too many of these types of books. Or perhaps it’s just cause I didn’t read this one at the right time.. but I was not a fan. The book was ok. I guess. I do feel like that it took every single predictable psychological thriller “twist” and made the end really not good. The reveal of 'who is Sally McGowan' was good but the book quickly derailed for me after that. It was a three until that point. In my opinion there are way better books out there. 2 stars. (It would have been a three until the end. Dang that was trite and predictable.)
In today's world of fake news this is one that was actually taken from true accounts and could turn deadly.
Rumors-- you learn to live with them but also learn to hate them.
So many people have ulterior motives that are hidden till the smoke clears especially the toxic ones so it's not uncommon nor unheard of but just how far would you go to ruin someone's life.
It's all about attention, it's about popularity, it's about smear campaigns, but it's also about telling the truth when the truth is known or continuing to real in fantasy land.
What would you choose?
As Joanna continues with rumor she has unknowingly placed her family in harms way with a psychopath and lord knows I married one and know all too well what they are capable of doing to a family.
How far will she now go to protect the ones she loves?
Enjoy!
Thank you to Lesley, the publisher, NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for this ARC that I received in exchange for a fair and honest review.

In Lesley Kara’s The Rumor, our main character has moved back to her home town after her son needs to leave the school where he is shamelessly bullied and tormented. When she gets to her hometown, she spreads a rumor to get in with the other moms out of desperation to keep Alfie from being victimized a second time. Predictably, the rumor spreads quickly and proves to be quite disruptive for their seaside town.

The Rumor reminded me of a cross between Liane Moriarty’s Big Little Lies and TJ Stinson’s The picture of Innocence. One of those comparisons helped the book; the other made me like it considerably less.  The Mommy politics, drama starting, and gossip spreading in a small, seaside town was the part that was reminiscent of BLL and aside from being a bit more preachy (the admonishment of gossips was pretty consistent and a bit over done), that part worked well. It felt real and engaging, and I was very excited to find out who Sally was. Very excited that it, until I found out.

That’s the part that reminded me of TJ Stimson. I won’t go in to anymore details to avoid spoilers, but the two books were too similar for my taste.

The Rumor was a well written book, although a bit plodding at times. To have a partner who is a reporter and seems to value her intellect, Joanna seems a bit dull witted sometimes. I will say this, though: I really thought I knew who the bad guy was and I was wrong. I also was completely shocked by the twist at the end, BUT I didn’t care for it. It was too gimmicky.

3.5/5

Joanna , a single mother,  has moved back to small beach town Flinstead with her son Alfie for a fresh new start. Trying to fit in  with the other moms  she engages in a little gossip and mentions that  a famous child killer is living under a new identity in town to one of her friends in her club. The rumor catches on and it spreads like wildfire and things start spiraling out of control rapidly.

The Rumor  is an intriguing debut by Lesley kara. Written in short chapters with plenty of twists and turns , red herrings along the way and an unexpected ending made it a gripping  addictive read

I would like to thank Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine & NetGalley for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest and fair review.
This book exhausted me.

I took me six days to finish this book.
SIX DAYS I say.

This is the longest 263 pages I have ever read in my life. You would think that with all of the skimming I did that it would have lessened the load but inexplicably it did not.

The first 70% is excruciatingly tedious with painfully unnecessary fillers, so many characters with no development (thankfully) that I challenge anyone to keep them straight.

The MC is so tiresome and never missed an opportunity to let you know that the father of her son is black.

Despite the fact that the story is rife with red herrings, I easily deciphered all three twists in this story well before their reveal.

I'm giving this one 2 ⭐ although I feel like that may be too generous.

I received an ARC from Random House Publishing in exchange for an honest review.
I thought this was a really fun book......until the end.  Seriously disappointing, and not believable. Feel like wasted time.

Thanks to author,publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free, it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
The Rumor by Lesley Kara exceeded my expectations. I knew from the beginning pages that this was going to be a gripping read and it was so good. You could easily see how a rumor would grow out of control and cause trouble for multiple people.

Single mother Joanna just wanted to fit in with the other moms at her son’s school. In order to appear more interesting and hopefully secure some playdates for her son through the moms, she drops a bombshell, someone in their seaside town is actually an infamous murderer. Years ago, a ten-year-old girl murdered her friend and now that supposedly the girl is living in their small town. Who could it be? The woman down at the shop looks like she could be this child killer….or is it someone else?

I loved this engaging suspense! I felt compassion for Joanna and understood her need to impress the other woman.

Here’s the synopsis:

Joanna is desperate to ingratiate herself with a popular clique of mothers at her son’s new school. But when she tries to impress them by repeating a rumor she overheard at the school gates, there’s no going back. . . .

Rumor has it that a notorious killer, a woman who has been released from prison years after her brutal crime, is living under a new identity in Joanna’s seaside town. So who is the supposedly reformed murderer now living in their neighborhood? Suspicion falls on everyone.

Joanna becomes obsessed with the case, pawing through decades-old records in an attempt to name the killer. But her curiosity not only ostracizes her from the community, but exposes her son and his father to a heartless psychopath who has killed–and may kill again.

How dangerous can one rumor become? And how far will Joanna go to protect those she loves from harm, when she realizes what she’s unleashed?

I could see this one as a series like Big Little Lies!

Due out in July.
This book is about a young woman who is trying to help her son make friends at school by trying to fit in with the mothers.   In order to get their attention, she overhears a statement and decides to use that to help her get in with the other mothers.   AND it works.    What she does not plan on is the impact this will have on her and her family.

I really enjoyed this book and the plot had me guessing throughout the whole book.    I like how the author had me second guessing who was responsible for what rumor and just who really was the villain.   Just when I think I had it figured out, it would change.

These are my favorite type of books and I would recommend this book to those who like an easy and fast paced thriller.
Thank you NetGalley and Ballantine Books for the ARC in exchange for my honest review:

Ahhhh the rumor mill of small towns, as one small town girl, I get how rumors spread like wildfires.  I thought rumors spreaded fast when I was in high school, but trust me when I say that no rumor gets spread faster than those that are said amoungst Moms!

Though this rumor could destroy a life  and put other lives in danger.  Joanna is no stranger to this small seaside towns (I always think of a NJ seaside town or boston). She grew up there but moved away and as fate would have it, has moved back to town with her young sons.  She has a good  story (gossip)  from her old days  and mentions it at her book club and then another time when she's with other moms (And like I said, us moms and bookclubbers know how to spread gossip) but this rumor has dangerous consequences for Joanna.  It seems that there is a killer living amoung this small town.  Someone one who, no doubt, people know and may even be friends with.
Great read, great characters and it does keep you on the edge of your seat.  I highly recommend this book!
I was given an AR copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. My review will show up on Goodreads.

The one word I would use to describe The Rumor by Lesley Kara is MORE. I wanted more of everything throughout the story. I wanted more suspense, more clues, more semi-traumatic-your-child-may-be-in-danger events that left me turning pages well into the night. Knowing that someone in the town had been a child killer made me, obviously, suspicious of everyone. I loved all the details and hints that Lesley Kara dropped about each resident of the small sea-side town through the book but I wanted more of them! This was a quick read for me and left me on the edge of my seat. I loved how the ending worked as I had thought it might be possible but hadn’t worked out the kinks as Kara had done. I also loved the second ending that I definitely didn’t see coming! I’ve already recommend this book to several friends who are on the lookout for its release date. Overall, a great read and I’m excited to read more from this author!
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview The Rumor by Lesley Kara - this could be a movie - are good check flick...

If you say something behind someone's back, make sure you are willing to own it..  But that's not how it goes.  There is a conversation or a "rumor" that a murderer is living among a small neighborhood.  Joanna has just moved to a new town and she wants to fit it with a group of women like herself.  She isn't a gossiper, not her, but she so wants to fit in.  So Joanna tells a story about how many years ago, a child was killed and the person who did it is right here in their own community.  But who is it and how did she get away with murder?
Joanna will learn that her words cannot be taken back and she may find herself in the middle of a crime drama that she never intended to be part of - but now she really is...!!!
Good book, lots of characters, quick and easy read.
I can't believe this is a debut novel! It is so good. Full of twists and page turning suspense. This psychological thriller is a must read! Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book. Joanna hears a rumor outside her son's school while waiting to pick him up. One thing leads to another and this rumor takes life. Joanna starts investigating the rumor, is there really a child killer living in their community under another name? Who could this be? Who can she trust? I thought I had figured out who it was several times and was suspicious of everyone. I was surprised when details started being given! Wow, what a web this book weaves! If you are looking for a book that keeps you guessing and turning the pages this is the one for you! Thank you NetGalley for the chance to read this great book. This is my honest review of The Rumor.
The power of word of mouth. We've all done it, mentioned to a friend "oh did you hear" - a harmless whisper. But what happens when that friend tells another friend and a rumor spreads like wildfire? This situation is exactly what Lesley Kara examines in her psychological thriller, The Rumor. Just hoping to fit in and make some friends in a new area, Joanna is lightly gossiping with a group of moms, but before she knows it - she's started the entire town on a witch hunt - one that will have consequences she never intended.

Utterly unique and completely compelling, I loved every word of Kara's novel and cannot wait to see what she comes up with next.

I received an advance copy. All opinions are my own.
Joanna has taken her young son to be raised in moved to the small town where her mother lives in Michigan.  While trying to get her son acclimated to the new school, she meets up with some of the moms, hoping to build relationships through them.  It’s at one of the “mom” get-togethers that a rumor is started; a rumor that continues to get fed and spread across the town like wild-fire.  Although I liked parts of this book a lot, I was distracted by some of the obvious mistakes.  When I finally read the author’s acknowledgements at the end of the book, I wasn’t surprised to find out that this story was originally written for the UK before it was “Americanized” in a US state.  Some of the sayings, the references, the continuity of the story all read a bit flat and false for me, to the point where I didn’t care about the ending as much as I would’ve liked.   I’m sure others will not find the same flaws I did (or at least, not mind them as I did), but this one just wasn’t for me.
I loved this book, it reminded me so much of living in a small town!  It had plenty of twists, chills, thrills, drama to keep my hands flipping the pages and my brain emerged!  A must read for those who love psychological thrillers that could be reality!
I will be highly recommending and using in a challenge, as well as reviewing (closer to publish date) in Chapter Chatter Pub’.
Okay, so I have to give the writer credit because this is a debut novel. But...it was a little contrived, a little much at times. I understand the damage gossip and a rumor can cause to a person - most people these days do with social media, so the premise - is there a child murdered hiding in plain sight in the town - is a good one. The writing was good, the pacing a bit slow at times with more explaining that I usually like.
Overall, a good effort for a first one.
I wanted to like this, but I couldn't finish it. The writing style just didn't hold my attention. I wasn't able to get into this one.
What would you do as a parent if a rumor said there was a dangerous neighbor going incognito in your town? What would you do to fit in with everyone? How do you sift through truth and the many layers of hysteria that rumors spin?  The Rumor has Joanna race to figure out who’s who, what’s what, and protect herself and loved ones from a sinister danger hiding right in plain sight. For readers of thrillers, this is a competently written summer read, not on par with others I’ve read, but worth checking out.
Omg, what an amazing book! I've heard of it, but never really thought it would be my thing. Boy, was I wrong! The writing simply flows and draws you in, and you are simply powerless to stop reading.
I felt that the main characters are regular people we all meet at the school gates, and so this is not a far-fetched story.
Fans of books like Big Little Lies, or A Simple Favor may appreciate this quick read. I think there should be a name for a genre that incorporates the fears of Mothers. This seems to be a common theme among thrillers these days, and I have to admit, I dig it. The Rumor was a quick read that kept me guessing. I was ping ponging around in my mind trying to determine a suspect. Nothing chilling happened until a little over a quarter of the way in, and even then it was pretty tame to my standards. This book is definitely more of a slow burn rather than a wild ride. It just was not particularly eventful. However, the main character was relatable and I just HAD to know how it would end. Overall, it was an OK story and served the purpose of a quick read mystery. (I wouldn’t really call it a “thriller”). 2.5/5 stars rounded up to 3.