The Boy from Tomorrow

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 May 2019

I started and finished this book this evening. I enjoyed it very much. It dealt with the trials of having a not perfect home life across generations while remaining fresh and at times funny. Josie and Alec are both wonderful protagonist and narrators. Josie and Cass’ mother is villainous and hateful and a perfect contrast to our two time-crossed friends. This would be an excellent read aloud.
I liked this book a lot, the characters were believable and well crafted. The subject will intoxicate my library readers.
I will certainly be buying it for my library
Thank you, NetGalley for the digital ARC of this middle grade.

The premise behind this middle grade was both intriguing and innovative. Unfortunately, I struggled through the book and considered abandoning in many times.

While I read some reviews calling this scary or creepy, I didn’t catch that vibe. Yes there was an ouija board at play, it is used as a means for the two main characters to communicate, much like a fold in time.

I wasn’t a fan of the abusive relationship between the mother and children, and for some reason it just didn’t feel true because while I felt bad for the characters, I didn’t feel emotionally invested in their story like I would want to be.

The pacing was slow throughout and tried to cover too much ground in order to neatly end the book. The writing and voice of characters felt a little forced and I believe that’s why I never fully connected with the characters.

Overall, neat promise but was lacking in too many areas for me to fully enjoy.
You know when you pick up a book thinking that it's gonna be good but then you are highly disappointed that the book just isn't up to your standards, that this book for myself. I can't give a review for a book that I wasn't able to finish.

Thank You for the chance to read this book!
The Boy from Tomorrow is a well-told, solid story and the true strength here lies in the characters. In the past, Josie and her little sister Cassie were simply charming, I wanted Emily to be my tutor, and the girls' mother is a powerful force. In the present, Alec was the star and his friend Danny was very likeable, too. The interactions between all of the children were very believable and there was a powerful sense of connection between them all. Once this story got rolling, I was truly enchanted by these children.

It took me a bit longer than I expected to get used to the writing style in this book, but once I found the rhythm, I was really pleased that the language wasn't dumbed-down at all. I also appreciated that Camille DeAngelis didn't shy away from putting the children into situations that were truly unnerving. This made me care more about the characters and added a decent amount of tension to the plot. I can imagine the delicious sense of foreboding I would have felt if I'd read this as a preteen.

I'm always a sucker for books with alternating chapters that are handled well, and the author did not let me down there -- it was always very clear immediately which time we were in as a chapter began. Unfortunately, though, even with those alternating chapters, the story wasn't quite balanced enough for me, and that drops this book from being a 5-star, all-time favourite into the 3.5 to 4-star range.

The past is filled with a more detailed setting, in part because all of the action takes place in one location, while Alec roams around to different places in the present. But the past also features more fully-developed supporting characters than the present. The only contact we're shown with Alec's father decidedly did not go well, but then was never mentioned again, and we hear about his mother as more of a background character instead of playing a strong contrasting role to the girls' mother.

In addition, the startling tribulations the girls were facing in their time could have been better complemented by showing Alec's problems more starkly. His parent's divorce and fallout is glossed over somewhat. While we're *told* Alec is upset, and we see a brief scene with a counsellor, we're not really shown the true extent of his emotional distress. In fact, when his mother finally realizes that the girls from the past are real, she actually almost dismisses the idea that he had any emotional problems at all. This aspect of the story is begging for more depth, and could have been a wonderful portrayal of dealing with mental illness (anxiety/social anxiety) in the modern world.

A lot of the time it seemed like Alec from the future was teaching the naive girls from the past, when it would have been really interesting to see those lessons more obviously going both ways. One example is a falling out Alec has with a friend of a friend. The unease he felt about the interaction was very realistic, but Alec later comes to a very mature realization about that kid all on his own; it might have been interesting to show a stronger link to a lesson learned from his conversations with Josie.

On a final note, as an adult, I loved the ending, but I wonder whether its charm would hit the mark with a younger reader.

Overall, this was definitely an enjoyable read that I would recommend to the younger readers in my life. I just wish the depth of the present story had been enough that I'd want to shout about this book from the rooftops.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a free electronic ARC of this novel, received in exchange for an honest review
Such a cute little book! I was interested in this one for my students. I think it would be great for early middle school level. I was captivated from the first page.
The Boy from Tomorrow is a fantasy time travel fiction that blends friendship and family in its beautiful tale.
Josephine and Cassandra are lonely stuck in their big house. Their mother hardly ever pays them any attention, and their only source of entertainment is their tutor, Emily. When Josie and Cassie finds a talking board, they are virtually connected to a boy living 10 years in the future, at their house, in their room.

The book confused me in the beginning because there was no indication of any time change. At one point, we were in 1995 and then suddenly in 2015. However, I got adapted to it as the story progressed.

I must say, this story is brilliantly crafted. The friendship that blossomed between the three kids was so lovely to read about. I loved Cassie and at the same time, hated her. Josie was more matured and practical. Emily's character plays a huge part and I love how caring she was toward the sisters, and how she helped them in their conversation with Alec, the boy from future.

The time travelling theme was tackled brilliantly, using it to show the power of friendship and the brutality of domestic child abuse. The story took a very serious turn towards the end, it got intense. I terribly hated the mother for all she did and felt no remorse for her end.

The end was pretty well done, and I loved that there was no big romanticized story between the two leads. I loved the end, it was a bittersweet one. At times, however, I did feel like the story dragged a little in the middle. But the chapters were short and easy to read, so it was a win win.

Overall, this book was truly enjoyable. I would totally recommend it to anyone who wants beautiful middle grade book about friendship and family.

Thank you netgalley for providing me with an e-version of this book in exchange of an honest review.
Rating: 4.0/5.0

Alec, a twelve-years old boy had just moved to an old house at 444 Sparrow Street with her mother after the battled divorce with Alec's father, when he found some things that were left by the previous house owners. Being the curious (and lonely) boy that he is, he found a spirit board tucked in a secluded part of the house. Little did he know, Alec had befriended a girl his age, Josie and her little sister Cass through the board, who had apparently lived in the house a century before him. In this story that was told in an alternating point of view based on Josie's and Alec's, the readers basically are indulged in the friendship they had formed over the years, and the life-altering situation the girls had to endure in the hands of their abusive mother.

At the first few chapters, I was extremely baffled on the author's approach to express the way the kids communicate through the board. Out of my limited understanding on supernatural/psychic whereabouts, people usually only used a glass piece to magnify the words that the 'spirits' would like to convey. However, this was presented through sets of dialogue, in which gave the impression that both sides could actually 'talk and hear' each other. Perhaps, hence the term talking board? I'm not even sure......

I love the authenticity of each of the characters. It showed up so vividly, that it was almost very easy to distinguish the way the kids communicate and use certain languages according to their period of time, especially Josie.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend to anyone who is interested in middle grade novels.

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange of my honest reviews - all opinions are my own
Two 12-year olds live in the same house - 100 years apart. They connect with each other via a ouija board and an old phonograph player. The chapters rotate between the two time periods and tell the story from both sides.
Mildly suspenseful. Abusive mother in the 1915 storyline.
Middle grade readers will enjoy the mystery and suspense.
This is one of those book you cannot help loving and makes you happy for having requested.
It's a great story that can be surely appreciated by adult reader and will make your inner child happy.
Well written, engaging, entertaining and a real page turner, once you start reading you cannot put down.
I loved everything: the plot, the characters, and the atmosphere.
I look forward to reading other books by this writer.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to Amberjack Publishing and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
This book was simply marvelous. It felt amazing to discover and follow along Alec and Josie's friendship. They both gave each other what they needed most and for that I think their relationship was really well written.
This is a lovely book with a unique and original premise. The title perfectly describes the story! Readers will be left in awe at the very end. This has the perfect blend of magic and adventure. Very great read with well-developed characters and interesting plot line. The Boy from Tomorrow will resonate with readers of every age. Highly recommend this book!
In "The Boy from Tomorrow," Josie and Alec live in the same house and are the same age, but they live one hundred years apart. This novel for older middle-grade readers is full of suspense and mystery. The story will appeal to a variety of readers.
This book was so much more than I was expecting it to be! I went in thinking this would just be a cute story about kids from very different eras meeting and becoming friends through a spirit board, but it turned out to be a much more serious book. The story takes on topics including social isolation, abuse, divorce, starting over in a new place, and moving on after difficult events. I would recommend it for older children who are able to understand and process some of the darker/more serious portions of the story.

I loved the characters of Alec and Josie and the friendship they formed as the novel progressed. They provided one another with someone to talk to about the serious things going on in their lives and had each other's back when they needed help.  I like Danny for accepting Alec right off the bat and joining in his adventures with enthusiasm. Cass is such a little sister and I mean that in the nicest way - she’s funny, sneaky, and completely lovable and Josie was a great big sister to her. I found myself just wanting to give those girls a big hug so often while reading this. I am so appreciative that the author gave us a glimpse into everyone’s lives as adults rather than ending after the girls left the house.

The only thing that could have been added to make me like this book any more would have been a little more information about Mrs. Gubbins and Lavinia.
"Oh, how I would love to read all the good books yet to be written." - Josephine

Completely unexpectedly, I really enjoyed this middle grades read. It has everything I loved in a kid adventure book- the new boy in a small town, a mysterious old house, a fortune teller, investigative research, magic, a hero, a villain, some history, a drop of feminism, and multiple references to books/reading.  What's not to like?

Even though the author dives right into the story, there's still pretty good character development through the unfurling of the plot line. Good morals & a love of reading are encouraged in this book. After finishing it in less than 48 hours, I definitely recommend it.
I would give this book 4 out of 5 stars. I loved the whole plot line and the character arcs that were in this book. The story had such a great flow to it and it was very easy to get into.
This is a lovely story about friendship that transcends time. A boy from the 21st century meets two young girls from the early 20th century via a talking board and they forge a deep connection despite them living lives a century apart. The premise hooked me from the start and I was not disappointed by the execution. This would likely be classified as fiction for children but I'm sure most adults could enjoy this as well. I certainly really enjoyed this book!
I loved this book very kid friendly I loved that it was two people having a unlikely friendship I couldn’t put it down that’s how much I loved this book!
The unique story is captivatingly told by Camille DeAngelis. The way she tells the story makes it near impossible to put down, and even harder to part with.

This is a wonderful story about two kids mending the gap in time, helping each other, and becoming unlikely friends.

Alec Frost finds a spirit board and learns that it works when a girl named Josie Clifford answers him. He helps Josie and her sister, Cass, escape the abuse of their mother.

A beautiful tale of how what you do now can affect those to come, even hundreds of years later. This is a very special book, not like one I've ever read.

5/5 stars. I can't wait to buy a hardcopy of this book and reread it. This is a kid-friendly read, but will still keep any reader wanting to finish the book. I would definitely recommend this book to a friend.
A high 3.5 stars rounded up to 4 stars.

This is a YA book, geared most likely to the middle grades. It has a little bite to it, although it is an easy read, because it has in it the fairly mature topic of child abuse. There are elements of time travel (somewhat, anyway), of the supernatural, and really fun bits in seeing the differences in life (and technology!) in a span of 100 years time.

Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for an opportunity to read an ARC of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.