Cover Image: The Man with No Borders

The Man with No Borders

This book shines on every level: sentence after sentence is beautiful and precise. The characters are complicated and sympathetic, the ideas are sweeping and profound, but are never too overt. It’s a rare novel that is as accomplished in its meaning as it is in its storytelling while also succeeding wildly on the language level as well! A novel to lose yourself in and then reflect upon again and again.
I really enjoyed this book. A powerful visual and emotional story with lots of amorphous visions that disappear when you try to touch them.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher.
DNF for me at this time.

I honestly just did not connect with this book at all. I'm about 40 percent of the way in and Im just bored. I saw the twist coming from way early on. and I don't think I can read about fish/fishing for one more page. I have been listening to the audiobook and the narrator has a very strong accent which makes sense. But that is something that I struggle with in audiobooks just because it makes it difficult for me to be in the story. I like to listen to audiobooks while im doing something else like cleaning or cooking etc. But when the accents are so strong I have to give the book my full attention.

All of that to say I don't think this book is horrible. I feel like this is almost like a memoir and its just not that interesting to me. I may pick up the physical book and try and finish it at a later time.
Absolutely loved the characters, the rich setting, and the plot. We would read anything Morais writes. He is a master at revealing information the moment you can't stand to live without it a moment longer. Great fall day read.
Thank you Netgalley and Publishers for granting me early access to "The Man With No Borders".

This book did top my favorite reads this year, however I'm currently in the middle of a major move, and will definitely come back at a later time and write out a full review and rating.

Thank you so much!
A good read for fans of the genre- a dying man looking back over his life.  In this case, Jose Maria Alvarez is a Spanish banker living in Switzerland, adding a different level of complexity to the tale.  Well written and sympathetic characters.
Jose Maria Alvarez, a Spanish banker living in Switzerland with his American wife, reflects on his complicated life and relationships as he faces his final days. At the heart of this novel is fly fishing: lessons learned, grudges unsettled, rivers discovered. Some passages of this lovely story read like poetry, with foreshadowing delicately and subtlety disclosed. The family dynamic is honest and relatable and had me turning the final pages with cheers and tears. I nearly gave up on this book after the first chapter, as the underlying plot currently hit a bit too close-to-home, but I am so happy to have finished it. I will certainly be recommending it to others, in hopes that it receives the recognition it deserves.

Thank you to Net Galley and Little A Publishing for the copy in exchange for my honest review.
Thank you Net Galley for the free ARC. A rich banker at the end of his life regrets the failures of his youth and travels back one more time to his native lands to amend them. Loved the rich writing and characters and the history.