To the Lions

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2020

I was so excited to read this book and really tried to keep an open mind, but I just couldn’t connect with the story or the writing style.
I was so excited that my wish was granted! However I wasn’t a fan of the writing style or story. Didn’t grab my attention.
Great premise and I was intrigued by the summary, but the book was slow and didn't keep my attention.  Decent read but not my favorite.
The premise of this story grabbed my attention but once I started reading it I found myself distracted.   Casey Benedict is a reporter.  She overhears a conversation in a London nightclub that leads her to the story of a lifetime.

In the beginning setup we meet  Casey’s boss and man oh man, he drops the F bomb more times than I could count.  A few times gives you the flavor of the man and his personality but after a while, what a turn off.

As the big story unfolds I found it very disturbing.  I don’t want to give spoilers but let me say, if you are bothered by what’s happening to immigrants in the USA, this plot won’t be appealing. At all.

This book is under the mystery and thriller category, my favorite genre however this is too disturbing for me with our current political situation.  I don’t bring politics into my blog and what happens in the book is NOT a scenario that is happening here but…..I didn’t like this at all.

Holly Watt is an author and journalist.  I will say a talented writer as she had me emotions stirred, this book just wasn’t for me.

Publication date is September 3, 2019.  Much thanks to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book.  I was not compensated for a review, opinions are mine.
I really thought I would enjoy this book based on the blurb and premise, but it lost me about 1/3 of the way through. Can't say that I finished it either; I found the writing to be rather dry and uninteresting. Thanks for the advance copy.
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, because it's my first by the author, but I'm sure it won't be my last. The story was fast paced, clever and engaging and I'm excited to see what Holly Watt comes up with next!
A very sad and thought provoking story of the life of immigrants and the struggle to be treated as humans. It is unforgiving in our world to prioritize whose life is worth more and the lengths people will go for their own selfish experiences.
I love a good mystery/thriller and was looking forward to this one. It lost me about 1/4 of the way through. While it started off strong, the technical language, long details, dull writing style did not keep my attention and while I wandered, it lost me even more.
I loved Casey and Ed and their dynamic but wondered at the choice of them as main characters.
Not bad, but not one of my faves either.
Thank you for the advanced reading copy.

Not so much a fan of this type but I was surprised.  The theme of a "manhunt" was updated and the refugee tie in brought a new freshness to a modern day story one awry.  I really think you will like Casey's adventures from the initial bar to the bush this one moves quite well
To The Lions was intense, disturbing and morally challenging. It reminded me of The Most Dangerous game, except the victims don’t know their being hunted. They don’t suspects thing.

This novel explores the trenches of humanity and the disparity of wealth and privilege. From refugees to billionaire CEOs and Members of Parliament, To The Lions delves into the culture that reinforces who is the hunter and who is the huntee.

The writing was choppy at times, which added to the suspense but also sent me back to reread for clarification more than once.
Immigration and naturalization issues are at the forefront in this epic new thriller brought to you by Holly Watt.
The idea that a journalist who overhears a conversations and lands the story of a lifetime will alter or change the course of events set forth for those fleeing is a whole new twist.
As the refugees flee the story takes on danger when a suicide by a wealthy man hampers her efforts for much needed and vital information.
Powerful, corrupt, wealthy individuals are at the heart of the novel while those seeking the land of opportunity and freedom collide.
Thank you to Holly, the publisher, NetGalley, and Amazon Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.

Casey Benedict, a star reporter at the Post, has infiltrated the lives and exposed the lies of countless politicians and power players. Using her network of contacts, and her ability to slip into whatever identity suits the situation, Casey is always on the search for the next big story, no matter how much danger this might place her in, or what the cost might be, emotionally.

Tipped off by an overheard conversation at an exclusive London nightclub, she begins to investigate the apparent suicide of a wealthy young British man whose death has left his fiancée and family devastated. The young man's death, however, is only the tipping point of a much more sinister and dangerous scandal involving the world's most powerful leaders and magnates--men who are gathering in northern Africa for an extreme and secret hunt.

With fellow reporter Miranda and combat veteran Ed by her side, Casey's determined hunt for the truth will take her from the glitz of St. Tropez to the deserts of Libya and on to the very darkest corners of the human mind. An international thriller featuring a female journalist who stumbles upon a dark conspiracy, and her determination to follow the clues, no matter how far that takes her

This appears to be a debut novel by Holly Watt who according to Google is an investigative journalist, who worked on MPs Expenses and the Panama Papers. She has written for the Sunday Times, the Telegraph and the Guardian and currently lives in London. Interesting lady!

The book is well crafted: it is not too dry as some political novels are and the story is compelling enough to keep you up late reading it. If you like British political novels this is an excellent pick for you as it is well written and keeps your attention right to the very last page..

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by Millenials on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it 🦁🦁🦁🦁
Thank you to the publisher for sending me this title.
The main character of this story is a reporter.  That's good enough for me since I haven't read many books with reporter as the main character.  This is a thriller that takes you all over the world.  Therefore, if you're a person who would like to travel with literature, this is a perfect book for you.