A Single Light

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Sep 2019

Wow, another phenomenal story written by Tosca Lee!!  I have found that sequels can be tricky and some stories are spot on while others are a flop... this sequel is spot on!!  This story picks up after the conclusion of The Line Between.

In the first book 63 people (including Wynter, Chase, Truly, Julie, and Lauren) are all in an underground bunker to wait out the chaos sweeping across the United States (& world) from a very rapid and contagious disease.  The plan is for the group to wait out the disaster for 6 months in hopes that when they emerge from the bunker the materials needed to manufacture a cure (that Wynter delivered to Ashley) will have proved successful and the vaccine/cure will have been distributed throughout the United States and world.  They are hoping to find a somewhat 'normal' existence and be able to have things go back to normal.

The beginning of the novel describes how things are going in the underground bunker and how the people are dealing with being confined for so long.  The people have a variety of ways that they deal with the confinement, and it isn't always the greatest (especially when their only 'communication' with the outside world freezes and then doesn't appear again at all).  Eventually, not everything goes as planned and due to a malfunction the doors of the underground bunker open earlier than they were supposed to.

The novel continues with how the world is progressing, and the people underground quickly discover that things are not better yet at all.  The novel continues and depicts Wynter and Chase's experiences attempting to desperately find antibiotics for Wynter's friend Julie (whom will die without them).

This novel is fast paced and very intense!!  I definitely couldn't put the book down and,  just like the last novel, I'm still thinking about it even though I finished the book several hours ago.  The characters we meet throughout the novel and what happens to them is well written (even though certain events had me crying).  I love Wynter, she seemed very realistic to me, and I thoroughly enjoyed how she interacted/reacted to the situations arising in her life.  Chase (her love interest) is the type of guy anyone would love to be around too.  The ending was good however, the romantic side of me would have liked more of a detailed 'happily ever after' (even though that's not always realistic).  Thank you to Tosca Lee for a phenomenally written series that kept me on the edge of my seat!!  I'm very very happy I was able to read this book (and wouldn't mind another one... maybe set a few years in the future?!)
A-MA-ZING!!! If you haven't read this book get it now! There is so much hope packed into A Single Light. The story is full of non-stop action, amazing dialogue, and characters that will will make you cheer, laugh, cry and smile. I will be reading it again!
Tosca tells a story of broken humans who keep pushing through in the face of an apocalypse. She masterfully weaves in their weaknesses among the strengths that the characters rely on to make it to the end.
This explosive thrilling novel picks up shortly after the events of the first book, ended showing what life was like living in a silo trying to avoid a virus and it’s after-effects on the world above. I was sucked into this nail-biting sequel to The Line Between from the start. The countdown clock was ticking, after six months of underground confinement, they would soon be heading to the surface. Noah (the man who build the silo) keeps the group informed with daily updates until one day they stop. Something is amiss. Everyone tries not to panic.  “Not knowing” was sending some to break Protocall while others wanted to stick to the plan.

The author gets readers up to speed by giving glimpses of the back story from book one. But I highly recommend reading book one first as it will blow your mind and lay the groundwork for this masterfully told story. The author introduces new characters that cause Chase and Wynter to think outside the box and look within. Chase and Wynter cautiously navigate the forever changed world that’s full of danger and unexpected challenges. This new adventure is filled with lots of twists, turns and surprises. The characters deal with trust, fear of the unknown, struggle to stay on plan, sacrifice, fierce bravery and encounters that tests their survival skills.

The author makes you think about what you would do given this situation that feels so real. Do we look after just ourselves and the ones closest to us or risk it all for the sake of the greater good? Good question each of these characters must answer. This story is filled with vivid action-packed scenes that were nail biting suspenseful. I found myself sucked into this sobering world and impressed by the characters drive and bravery It’s believable, suspenseful, with just the right splash of romantic to lift your spirits. This would make a great book club pick. You won’t run out of things to talk about with this one.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher, Netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent
TBCN Where Book Fun Begins! www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Catalogue front page www.bookfun.org
*I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All subsequent opinions are my own.

A Single Light by Tosca Lee is the post apocalyptic follow up to The Line Between (which I adored). The story picks up six months after the conclusion of Lees first novel and everything has changed.

Wynter and Chase emerge from the secure silo to a world ruled by anarchy and ravaged by disease. That's the simple synopsis and honestly that's also the first half of the book. This book was so slow in the pacing and all the urgency that drove the first novel seemed to have dried up.

While Wynter and Chase race against the clock to save an slowly ailing Julie, there was so much meandering and unecessary exposition that I actually got bored at times.

Lee's prose is still solid but her sequel definitely lacked the edge and gritiness of The Line Between.

Overall I gave 3/5 stars and would recommend it if you want a character driven post apocalyptic story (think The Book of the Unnamed Midwife by Meg Elison and The Last by Hanna Jameson).

TW: violence, gore, talk of suicide and sexual assault
Book Review: A Single Light, (The Line Between #2) by Tosca Lee

"The sea... The waves rolling to that rhythmic breath that seems to say, Be still. Know that I Am."

American civilization is devastated by a flu-borne pandemic, cyber attacks on power grids, an attack on the CDC, kidnapping, anarchy, chaos - with unconfirmed reports of a nuclear strike on Hawaii.

Nebraska. In first person narrative, Book 2 starts where Book 1 ended, at the "Arc", a fully-equipped, well-supplied hidden sanctuary thirteen stories deep in an underground silo shielded from a world in ruins.

Wanted by the government as a fugitive, Wynter Roth is hunkered down with Chase, the former marine /MMA fighter and her love interest, Truly, her niece, some close friends and sixty-odd other lucky souls.

Wynter had escaped from the "Enclave", the compound of a doomsday cult led by false messiah Magnus Theisen. The silo was her sanctuary.

But communal living in claustrophobic quarters begin to take its toll. Cabin fever sets in. Small disputes get blown out of proportion. Chase is revealed as not exactly what he represented himself to be - a bounty hunter out for one particular fugitive.

Communications with the outside world fail. Havoc. Systems freeze, power goes down, a death and burial in a freezer, a dear friend at the point of death...

Then...bang!

Author Tosca Lee shifts from dystopian drama to dystopian thriller mode - high-pitched, non-stop, fast-paced action the rest of the way.

Out into the sunlight and air go Wynter, Chase and the team. Out to battle for food, water, meds and supplies. Out into terrifying ransacked blight where emaciation and anarchy are the norm, and a new world order reigns.

They manage to fight their way to the beach, to the Caribbean sea and the ocean beyond, with its soothing rhythmic waves.

Then, at last, they find themselves back to the scourge of Wynter's existence - Magnus Theisen's dreaded "Enclave".

It isn't be a must to read Book 1 to enjoy Book 2, as ample flashbacks are aptly inserted by the author to provide context; but to miss reading it would be the reader's loss.

Review based on an Advance Reading Copy from Howard Books and the author through NetGalley.
The Review

This novel does an amazing job of doubling down on the action, mystery, suspense and dystopian like settings of the first novel. A world on the brink of becoming one similar to Stephen King’s “The Stand”, the author has created a fantastic balance between the inner emotional turmoil of a young woman who survived the impossible with the high stakes of a nation torn apart and options limited when the life of a loved one is at risk.

The novel explores many different facets of the world created in the first novel. Starting with the days spent underground in the bunker and the grim turns the survivors go through during that time, to shocking revelations that threaten to tear apart Wynter’s relationship with a person she’s grown close to and finally the dark world that has transformed during their time underground, this novel is rich with both character development and setting that will engage readers in every page.

The author successfully introduces new characters and antagonists throughout the novel that feel natural and does a great job of not repeating the same formula of the first novel. While the first novel focused on the emergence of the disease and Wynter’s history with the cult she escaped, the second novel is more about the ramifications of both of those things, both physically and psychologically, on this impactful, strong and often relatable protagonist.

The Verdict

This is a great read that kick starts the upcoming fall must reads lists for readers and bloggers everywhere. A book filled with emotional shocks, twists and turns galore and amazing character growth, this is a novel readers of the thriller genre will not want to miss. If you haven’t yet, grab your copy of “A Single Light” by Tosca Lee today!
When I heard author Tosca Lee was writing a sequel to The Line Between, published January 2019, and that it would be released before the end of the same year, my excitement knew no bounds.

A thriller, A Single Light, continues the story of Wynter Roth and Chase Miller as they emerge from the underground silo where they have hidden for six months. Along with 60 others, Wynter and Chase have lived together in a highly upgraded and technologically advanced world created by a man named Noah, a man who promised to help them all upon their re-entry into the world.

But, Noah is missing and someone or something has pretty much looted or decimated the farm, leaving Wynter and Chase without resources. Some of those living in the silo are desperately ill and Wynter is determined to obtain the medication they need, especially Wynter’s friend Julie.

Without the basic resources to live such as food, potable water, clothing, and even gas for a vehicle, Chase and Wynter find themselves on a mission fraught with danger. Whole cities have been destroyed, completely abandoned. Yet other cities aren’t abandoned but have been taken over by a remnant of people who will do anything to maintain control of those who have yet to succumb to the sickness that has killed so many. Hospitals have become prisons for those exposed to the devastating sickness; doors bolted and chained; no one in or out, and those within left to viciously destroy each other in their attempts to survive.

As the window of time shortens, Wynter and Chase become even more desperate to find the antibiotic that will save Julie. And those that are searching for Wynter, for the cure she carries with her, are determined to kill her before she can deliver, people who will stop at nothing, absolutely nothing.

I highly recommend A Single Light by Tosca Lee. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and am under no obligation to write a positive review. All thoughts and opinions therein are solely my own, and freely given.
This book was great! It was super fast paced, had a ton of action, and all along held my attention with characters I rooted for. I loved Wynter and Chase as I had in the first book, and found myself on edge hoping for them to have a happy ending. No spoilers here though, so I will not confirm or deny what happens to them in the end. This book was a solid 3.75 stars for me. I wish GoodReads would let me actually rate it that. I couldn’t rate it a 4 only because I felt that there may have been a teeny bit too much action jam packed in the story. I needed some more slow parts to help me catch my breath before the next big hurdle came flying at our characters. All in all, it did not disappoint. I was thrilled to have another book in this series. My hope is that Tosca has a third one up her sleeve! :)

I was pleasantly surprised how engrossing the end of the world (ok America) was delivered in Tosca Lee’s The Line Between  - this had a fascinating lead character in the form of Wynter Roth who had escaped from a religious cult but then got embroiled in the cult leader’s plot to create Armageddon by infecting the country with a fatal flu virus that also gave symptoms of dementia.  Wynter raced to get the only vaccine in safe hands picking up a former soldier/bodyguard in the process and ended up on the run from the authorities herself. Awaiting a vaccine to be produced Wynter and her family and friends were able to hide in a remote silo with a number of other survivalists to wait out the pandemic and hope order was restored.  In A Single Light Lee now returns to deliver a dramatic conclusion to the series.

This is very much a novel of three very different sections.  The first is a pressure cooker tale with sixty people locked in an underground bunker for nearly 200 hundred days cut off from the world. During their waiting period we see tensions start to rise and conflicts burst out unexpectedly as the tension increases.  This is actually quite a shocking section as people start acting incredibly selfishly and stupidly in confused spaces. Lee really makes these scenes tense and as people are acting irrationally then it makes everyone seem a potential threat especially as Chase and Wynter want to keep their real identifies secret.  Sneakily this even strains the strong bond that Chase and Wynter developed in the first book; so we get a feeling that everything is now off kilter.  And then just to spice things up the team above this ark (led by a man calling himself Noah!) stop sending messages to the world below. Wynter’s group now seems to be all alone.

That leads to very entertaining action packed second section when Wynter and Chase volunteer themselves to help find medication for an injured friend. The world above though is no longer civilised and instead is now a disaster zone; crashed planes; blocked roads; mass graves and empty hospitals.  This is a really effective section as we go for a very uncomfortable road trip into the apocalypse and while yes we have seen these scenes all done before in many a film or book I liked how the story focused on Wynter – while Chase has his uses it’s notable how Wynter has grown into herself – confident of her responses; daring to take risks and be in charge.  That’s quite refreshing in a world where usually the ex-marine with a past is our main lead.  Plus; you really want these two to get back together after the events of the first part! What I also liked about this section was Lee’s ability to make the situation really feel as a world on the edge of collapse – helped a lot by how some very good people just fall foul of the nastier elements residing in the world.  It’s a very full throttle section and I think really carries the story well.

My only gripe was the last quarter of the book where an awful lot of remaining plot points seem to be finished fast.  At this point the story feels a little over stretched at times. While I loved again how Wynter was the focus of the story it veers from a small-scale action thriller into something much more global and at that point I don’t think the story had fully earned transitioning into this bigger climax.  This section could almost have been a book in itself and perhaps would have allowed the story to breathe more.  The ending is satisfactory but just I feel a bit too rushed.

Overall this is a fine conclusion to the wider story and while a few reservations on how it tries to wrap everything up the story really has a compelling lead in Wynter who I loved watching develop.  Lee has a great sense of pace, plotting and also action sequences and that makes it a very compelling read.  A fun fast read that I think has a lot to offer readers of thrillers.
The Line Between was the first in this series, and it was a great read. A viral pandemic. Is it bioterrorism? It was a thrilling ride up to the very end. So how does A Single Light stand up? Usually the sequels can get a bit boring, but not the case. It was very entertaining. It isn't a zombie book, but rather an outbreak/dystopian novel. I highly recommended it. Tosca Lee has a way of moving the story along, yet at the same time giving the reader enough backstory to make it interesting while still keeping the action, excitement and urgency of the moment.
Tosca Lee knows how to captivate readers right from the first line—which in this case is “I miss ice cream.” I mean, way to strike right at your readers’ hearts, right? Well, hold on, because the revelations keep coming. This story picks up shortly after The Line Between left off—that is, two weeks after Winter, Chase, and sixty-one others have taken refuge in an underground silo that’s been sealed by a time lock. For six months. Even under normal circumstances, having sixty-plus people confined to an underground silo for six months would be a recipe for tension, but in Tosca Lee’s hands, you know to brace yourself for a whole lot more than that.

What transpires in this story, amidst the kinds of revelations and suspense that keeps you glued to the pages, is an exploration of the way in which times of uncertainty and crisis illuminate both the worst and the best of human nature. More, that the worst situations provide the greatest opportunity to discover the best of human nature. As Francis Bacon said, “In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.” It’s a particularly powerful realisation for Wynter, who was raised in a cult that shunned the outside world for the evil it held.

I must confess, I was bracing myself for a final revelation to knock me sideways at the end, but that didn’t eventuate. Instead, the story brought Wynter’s personal journey full circle in a way that’s layered with deeper meanings I’m still teasing out. It’s a great read for the action and suspense alone, but I love that it’s prompted some philosophical musings too!
Wynter Roth and Chase Miller have been sealed off from the world in an underground silo for six months, with sixty other people.
Shielded from the chaotic world above, as they develop a vaccine for the deadly mutant flu that is decimating the population.
When they finally come out, their leader Noah and his comrades are gone and there is no sign of a treatment vaccination.
Wynter is still a fugitive, wanted on a bogus murder charge. She and Chase, her ex-military boyfriend, must go on a hunt for antibiotics to try and save the life of her good friend Julie, gravely injured in an accident while underground.
As they search for the medicine, they also look for explanations. What happened to the materials Wynter risked her life to deliver, that would enable a vaccine to be created?
This action packed thriller kept me enthralled. The nonstop tension mounts as they race to find answers.
An exciting story, full of suspense!
Thank you to Howard Books for the e-ARC via NetGalley.
"Rage and grief are twins you birth at once.  With gnashed teeth and high, tight keens.  Until there's nothing but pain and stupor."

Wow.  And I had thought The Line Between (book 1) had been intense, action-filled, and terrifying (in a good, suspenseful thriller kind of way).  This second book, A Single Light, tops the first.  Really.  How does Tosca Lee do it?  I'm not sure.  But, man, this book will keep you bouncing on the edge of your toes, anticipating.....waiting.....for the next bend in the plot that will take the story in a direction you never saw coming.  It should be read only after the first book though.  This book picks up right where the first book ended and the overarching plot is too rich in details and complex to be able to understand by reading the second book in the series as a stand alone.

The narrative is flawless as the obsessive-compulsive Wynter speaks in first person present tense (thus allowing so many surprises and twists in the plot) in an apocalyptic world where a dementia-inducing prion has merged with a flu-like virus to decimate the US.  Chase, her protector and boyfriend, and Wynter traverse towns and cities in search of medication for their sick and dying friend and they witness heart-breaking acts of self-sacrifice and love but also unthinkable acts of raging sin, evil, and darkness.  Despite their brokenness, regretful pasts, and current failures, the love between Wynter and Chase does light their way.  Though they despair and feel that "this life - in this world- is too hard.  Too filled with pain.  And too far gone.  The lights that made it worth saving blinking out like stars," they cling onto the small hope that they would see their loved ones again and that hope keeps them reaching for the next rung in the ladder to climb up.  This is a thriller that you won't be able to put down.  The intensity in the plot mounts steadily each chapter until the very end, and even then, I'm sure you'll be waiting for something else to happen to turn the plot upside down again.  If you enjoy a fast-paced, brilliantly crafted suspense thriller, this is a must-read book for 2019.

I received a copy of the book from Howard Books and was under no obligation to post a positive review.  All comments and opinions are solely my own.
An excellent follow-up to book one

I enjoyed book one in this series THE LIGHT BETWEEN but wanted more about the pandemic spreading across the country. Well, book two delivers.

Wynter, Chase and Truly have found shelter (along with others from book one) in an underground silo with sixty other people in Nebraska. It has been prepared to keep its occupants safe for six months as the flu-borne pandemic rages above ground.

But at the end of six months, they climb out of the silo to desolation and they must test themselves to the utmost to save themselves and the ones they love.

This is a great post-apocalyptic series. I enjoy the characters (especially after they got out of the cult featured in book one). There's lots of action, surprises and one new character I dearly loved.

I recommend this book (along with book one) to readers of post-apocalyptic thrillers, thrillers about pandemics and anyone that enjoys a well-written story.

I received this book from Howard Books through Net Galley in the hopes that I would read it and leave an unbiased review.
I loved The Line Between, the first book in this series, and have been so anxious for the sequel. Something like what happens in this series could feasibly happen in real life. It's not out of the realm of possibilities. It's not far fetched, at all. So, at times, it made for a scary read, but it was, also, utterly compelling. An action packed, never ending thrill ride that I could not put down.

There were so many twists and turns and stunning revelations that I didn't see coming. Some that left me gasping for breath and having to set my Kindle down for a minute to recover. Seriously, parts of this book gave me a near panic attack. Imagining that this could actually happen. Wondering what I would do in the same situation. How would I react? It was terrifying to think about, but absolutely entertaining to read.

A Single Light could probably be read and enjoyed without having read The Line Between first, but I'd still recommend going in order. There's a lot of backstory I wouldn't want you to miss out on. Not to mention all the excitement.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it. All thoughts and comments are my honest opinion.
An excellent follow up to The Line Between, Tosca Lee has taken well developed characters that we followed closely and given them a new set of drawbacks to conquer.  The world is dying.  The plans made by the small settlement that has been locked away from the rest of the world for 6 months are not working.  I've been reading many "after the end" dystopian books lately but none have had the impact that A Single Light held throughout the story.  The characters faced each new challenge head on and moved forward, all the while protecting their own tiny group.  You will want to read this book in a single setting, so plan accordingly.
I received a free digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

In this thrilling sequel to The Line Between, Tosca Lee continues to astound readers with her gut-wrenching plot twists, complicated romance, and amazing suspense. At the beginning of this book, our protagonist Wynter and her dreamy love interest Chase have just been sealed off from the rest of the world in Noah’s nuclear bomb-shelter silo with 60 other people, Julie, Lauren, and Truly included. Still wanted for murder and potential terrorism, Wynter must continue to hide her identity even now. Maybe once the silo opens up in 6 months, she can run away with Chase and Truly and live happily ever after. But even that dream is dashed as tensions rise in the silo, and Julie is gravely injured. After the silo opens up, Chase and Wynter must traverse ghost towns, sick and desperate humans alike, and even a corrupt, mafia-like governance system in order to find the IV medications that Julie needs before time runs out. Can she survive–not only physically intact, but mentally?

I read The Line Between a few months ago, and I was completely amazed by the quality of Tosca Lee’s work. Here is my 5 Star review of that first book in this series. Everything that I said in that review is also true of this second novel. It upended my cozy view of reality, and instead brought the apocalypse to my front step. Immediately, I felt connected to Wynter and her plight, her naivete simply making me yearn to protect her even more. The characters drew me in, the romance was so frustratingly suspenseful, and I absolutely could not wait to find out the ending to the book. But even more so, I didn’t want it to end. I wanted to continue learning about the characters’ lives and this new world that they had created.

I went into reading the first book with absolutely no expectations–I had never heard of Tosca Lee or her word before, and I was somewhat apathetic about this modern-day thriller. At the time I was much more interested in medieval fantasies (as I will probably also be… They hold a special place in my heart!) But for this second book, I went into it with my expectations through the roof. I was so hyped to continue Wynter’s story that I forgot to check my enthusiasm, and it thus remained uncontained… And yet, Lee met all of those expectations and more!

One of the biggest things that I enjoyed about this specific book was the sucker-punch plot twists. I never knew what direction the plot was going… And even if I thought I had a pretty good idea, it would completely pull the rug out from under me. I’m not proud to admit that I found myself screaming and crying at my kindle multiple times… There was just so much that happened that I wished could have been different, and yet it made the story that much more powerful.

My emotions were a wreck after reading. Not only from the plot twists, but also from Chase and Wynter’s relationship. We ended The Line Between with them happily ever after, climbing into the silo with Truly a nice addition to their newly made family. It seemed like everything was finally going right between them. And yet, at the start of the sequel, their relationship is strained and awkward. Perhaps the fact that they barely knew each other became much more of an issue as the adrenaline of running for their lives waned. Regardless of what it was, the romance was changed, and not for the better. My heart ached for the two to recover that happy place we ended the first book with.

Speaking of emotions, my nerves were fried. EVERY page was dripping with suspense, and it made it extremely difficult not to skim and jump ahead. I practically could NOT wait to find out what was going to happen! I caught myself several times scanning the page and then swiping to the next because I was that anxious and scared about what was about to happen. The suspense was killer! I don’t know that I’ve ever been so jittery as I was reading that book. It was incredibly fast-paced, making the suspense all the more taut. I was absolutely wired while reading, and I ended up devouring the book in 2 consecutive days.

I also really enjoyed the witty humor scattered throughout the novel as a break from the rest of the powerful emotions coursing through my body. The humor was so well-placed that I never sunk too deeply into my anxiety or fear of what was going to happen to my beloved characters, and I actually laughed out loud a few times! The perfect comedic release.

I absolutely recommend this two-book series by Tosca Lee. It is simply phenomenal. I don’t think my review does it justice in the slightest, but if you ever want to talk about it, I will gush my heart out to you. Probably in a ceaseless ramble, because that is just how much I loved this book, and how much my emotions were compromised. I can’t stop to make cognizant sentences! Anyways, if you are a fan of dystopias, psychological thrillers, even romance, I would highly recommend this book. Even if those are not your typical genres, give The Line Between a try! I think the themes and characterizations really speak to a wider, more general audience than the traditional thriller readers.
I read dystopian fiction sparingly because, well, it paints a dark and grim picture.
But Ms. Lee pulls the reader right into the story with characters who came to life on the page. I came to care for them immediately, feeling first the anxiety of time in the silo, then the despair at their discovery once they emerged.
The world Ms. Lee paints is vivid and frightening, and all too realistic. The situations Wynter and Chase encounter, terrifying and seemingly hopeless.
But in the midst of the ravaged landscape, hope. That Wynter fought her way through one obstacle and hurdle after another, that Chase stayed with her, for the sake of even the chance to save their friend’s life—that’s a vivid image of John 15:13, “Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.”
This is a fantastic, gripping story, a fight for survival. A story of truly a light in the darkness.

ROBIN’S FEATHERS
FOUR FEATHERS

I received a complimentary copy of this book, but was under no obligation to read the book or to post a review. I offer my review of my own free will. The opinions expressed in my review are my honest thoughts and reaction to this book.

#Blogwords, Tuesday Reviews-Day, #TRD, Book Review, A Single Light, Tosca Lee, A Line Between
Absolutely brilliant sequel. This little baby was hard to put down. In fact I never actually set it down unless forced. I was left with the need for more and yet have complete closure. I suspect my need for more has less to do with the story than with the poetic weaving of words you always find in a Tosca Lee book.
I appreciated the re caps. They’re never annoying or vague. They’re just perfect. I absolutely loved all the characters here and I had no problems feeling what it’s like to be in their shoes.
This book didn’t stop. I was completely engrossed. Poetic, fast paced, and smart. Five stars highly recommend.
* I was gifted a copy of this. However, my opinions are my own. I will be purchasing this baby*
Fans of Tosca Lee’s writing will have to clear their calendar of everything to devour A Single Light!  This is Thriller writing at its best!
It has been six months since Wynter Roth and Chase went underground to stay safe from the disease ravaging the country. Along with the sixty others underground, they wait for the day the door will be opened by Noah and the rest that are supposed to be waiting above ground to meet them. When messages from above stop coming months before they are supposed to be released, the fate of the world starts to seem grimmer than any of them could have imagined. As release day draws near, Wynter is eager to leave in order to find medicine for her very sick friend, Julie. As the doors open, Chase and Wynter find themselves in a world far worse off than they could have imagined. The vaccine they expected to be manufactured and passed around the country is nowhere in sight and those that survived are turning on each other in order to survive the war zones the cities have become. With each passing hour, Wynter finds herself losing hope that she can help her friend or if any of them can survive in this new world.
For me, topping The Line Between was going to be something almost impossible to do. Tosca knocked that first book out of the park. The characters and storyline grabbed me and wouldn’t let go, making me ache for more of this incredible story. By the time I got my hands on A Single Light, I had to pace myself, so I didn’t devour it too quickly. The story picks up where the first left off, Wynter and Chase in the silo waiting with the others for the day they can emerge into society. Instead of chapters, Lee uses days and hours as chapter headings and to show the passage of time. Instead of letting the time in the silo pass slowly and lose readers in the process, she skips over large portions of this time and gets to the really great twists and turns. There is so much embodied in the pages of this novel: fear, hope, love, deep longing to belong and help those we care about. Each emotion Wynter feels jumps off the page at me and griped me tightly. The connection between Wynter and Chase and how they came to be together is so well written and took me by surprise at times. If you are reading this and looking for a chance to put it down you will be disappointed, this is the kind of book that can be devoured in one sitting. I am wishing for time to go back and read it again and again. Tosca Lee has become one of the very best thriller writers in my opinion and readers can look forward to a fantastic story every time they pick up one of her books. At one point I thought I knew what was going to happen with the ending, but Lee took it in a slightly different direction, which was perfect for this story. I am trying to come up with something negative to say and am at a loss. I recommend this book to fans of Lee’s writing and those looking for an amazing story to pull them in and never let go. However, I would recommend reading The Line Between first.
I received a complimentary copy of this title from the publisher.  The views and opinions expressed within are my own.