Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Diary

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Sep 2019

Sweet down to earth reflection. Helpfulsomeone living with OCD to be used as a tool for others with OCD to outline ways of coping and overcoming a myriad of compulsions by utilizing cognitive behavior therapy.
This is part self-help, part-personal struggle.

It combines activities to manage your OCD with the author's personal experiences. It is potentially triggering if you are not ready to confront your biggest fears and try to work through it.
Interesting. Some things I already knew and some I didn't.
Well done !  Short but good, easy to follow.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC of this book.
This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
Some sections of activities were not correctly formatted for my eReader and as such I cannot provide commentary on those sections.

Charlotte Dennis guides the reader through her experience of OCD - from her earliest memories of it through the progression of OCD until it got to it's most challenging to manage. The activities and information are then linked to these personal experiences so that readers can see how she used these activities or similar ones to begin to understand herself and her OCD.

Even now, writing about OCD often focuses on dirtiness or hazards, and while Charlotte experiences some of what she calls the more "textbook" compulsions around checking lights, taps, and other potential causes of hazards, she also experienced obsessions and compulsions around using technology. I have not read about how OCD can interact with the use of modern technology and social media, so reading about Charlotte's experience introduced me to a broader understanding of what OCD can effect within someone's life.

The activities are closely tied to the core ideas of CBT, for example, one activity invites readers to think of objects which are linked to obsessions and compulsions and write about the useful or positive purposes of those objects. Another asks the individual to envisage one of their fears (which they know is irrational) as a headline on a newspaper template and see how it looks in print. Alongside this are activities involving tracking and monitoring time spent on compulsions, or the number of times compulsions were repeated to reduce the amount in small increments while also monitoring thoughts and feelings of anxiety.

I think the purpose of this book was that it was meant to be either a first step towards getting help for OCD or as a tool to be used alongside CBT from a professional, just because it was quite short. I think it was still a valuable read, particularly for the author's personal experiences and how they linked to the activities, but people with OCD or wanting more information would likely want additional books to go alongside this one.
As someone who has been recently diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder, there was a lot that I could relate to in this book. The book being written in a diary type form helped to make it more personal and relatable. I would not use this book in my classroom with kids, but I would recommend it to teachers because it would give insight into the students that have OCD or have signs. This book was insightful and I would also recommend it to parents of students that might be showing signs or OCD.
My rating: 4/5

I'm likely not the intended audience or age group for this workbook. It was really informative to get a view from another person who has OCD on their experiences, obsessions, personal life, etc. and her ways of dealing with the obsessions. My gripe is that I'm not a fan of a number of the activities in this book like drawing or filling in graphs, though they are unique and interesting accompaniments to each chapter. I think this would be a great workbook for younger OCD sufferers to guide them through handling OCD with their therapist or on their own time.
This is a sweet, honest, and personal guide/activity book that was written by someone living with OCD to be used as a tool for others with OCD to outline ways of coping and overcoming a myriad of compulsions by utilizing cognitive behavior therapy.

"Let's begin to talk about our mental health and page by page, bit by bit, we will be okay."

The author outlines multiple different tactics for managing anxiety and compulsions, so you can try them all or one by one to see what works or doesn't work for you. It's quite short, which is why I believe this book is a good starting point for someone looking for help coping with OCD. But because it is short, this book also isn't intimidating. The is important for someone who might be feeling overwhelmed but anxious about finding something to help. This won't take you hours upon hours to read like other books might, so can get into the activities rather quickly. The activites are scattered throughout the book, with information to lead you into the how's and why's of it and after as well to follow up.

The thing I loved most was that she was sharing her own personal struggles, not just giving you homework on how to help yourself. She actually shared her journey, from photos she has that document when she was struggling, to logs that she kept as she was learning to diminish her behaviors and anxiety, and lists she had made for herself when coming to terms with what was inducing her anxiety. She shows you how far she has come, how she is still working on some things; that some situations or environments can be triggering and new compulsions can try to sneak their way in. This book is overall uplifting and encouraging.

Due to the activities contained within this book, a physical copy of this book is the most beneficial way to read this book so that you may do the activities as you go along and keep all of your stuff together if you need to revisit it or add to it at a later date.

I believe this book would be a good companion to utilize alongside therapy or as a starting point for someone seeking relief from their OCD on their own. As OCD is an anxiety disorder and this diary seeks to help lessen the anxiety leading to and stemming from compulsions, I believe this diary could also be beneficial to someone suffering other anxiety disorders, like generalized anxiety disorder or social anxiety disorder (but I'm not a medical professional, this is merely my belief).

Many thanks to Charlotte Dennis for writing such a personal book in the hopes of helping others and to Jessica Kingsley Publishers for sharing a digital copy with me via NetGalley for reviewing purposes.
A very interesting book written by a person suffering of OCD.
It is written in the form of a diary and contains practical exercises for relief and it suggests way to cope with the anxiety.
I believe this book would be great in paper form as it would be easier to take notes and write down thoughts.

A great book both for those who suffer of OCD and for those who would love to know more in order to help friends/family.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange of an honest review.
As per title, this book describes, using a sort of "diary", the author's activities that helped herself to gain relief from OCD.

The book helps you understand your OCD, is written in plain English, can be read by everyone and no previous information on CBT/ERP is required. But it is by far too basic, so I rated 3 stars.

Anyway, if you suffer severe OCD you always need external help and support from specialized terapist, so you can find useful links at the end of the book, too.
I received this copy as an ARC in return for honest feedback.
As someone who has lived with OCD since my teen years, I am always looking for new strategies and ways to cope with the thoughts that encompass my brain. I loved the format of this book! The sketches, activities really got me thinking and it was very personally done. I wish I had a hard copy of it so I could have marked it all up, but I was able to transfer many of the activities into my journal nonetheless. I loved that Charlotte shared her journey as it made me feel I was not alone in mine. Very well done!
The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Diary: A Self-Help Diary with CBT Activities to Challenge Your OCD is written by Charlotte Dennis, who shares the experiences she has been through working on her own OCD using cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT).  It's designed as a workbook to be written in, so the paper version would definitely be a better pick than the ebook.

The book is filled with exercises to help you reflect on yourself and examine different aspects of your OCD.  The exercises also help you to challenge your OCD thoughts, and build in difficulty as you progress through the book.  Some of the activities you might have expected, but others are more creative and may surprise you.Some of the points covered in the book are:
-separating yourself from your OCD
-create a hierarchy of compulsions based on difficulty to stop
-keeping an exposure log
-addressing body-focused repetitive behaviours like skin picking and hair pulling

There are enough different strategies covered in the book that even if some don't work as well, it's likely that others will and there will still be benefit overall.The book is very easy to read, with lots of white space, illustrations, and room to complete the guided activities.  There are hand-drawn style graphs that give it a friendly vibe, and even the font choices seem laid back.  The book feels very infused with the author's personality, which helps create a strong connection as a reader.

My favourite line in the book, which I think applies well to many mental health conditions aside from OCD, is: "The best thing I have learnt is that irrational thoughts don't survive very long outside of your own head." While the book is obviously geared towards OCD and related disorders (such as those involving body-focused repetitive behaviours), I think it could potentially be useful for people with anxiety disorders or even depression who are really struggling with avoidance as part of their illness.
As someone with mental illness, I appreciated this book. I didn't love this book but I am happy it exists and I believe that if read by the right person it could really make an impact on that person.
The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Diary is setup in a fun workbook format, similar to Wreck this Book, by Keri Smith.  Instead of helping readers with creativity, this book is aimed at working through your thoughts and compulsions and life with OCD.  It seems to be geared toward young adults. I myself am an adult that has struggled with OCD for the biggest portion of my life.  I didn't begin therapy till I was in my 30s.  I think, if I had received this book as a teen, it would have been very helpful.  CBT or Cognitive Behavorial Therapy is the main resource used throughout the book to help readers to work through there thoughts and hopefully help reframe them.   I would definitely recommend this to a younger adult or someone starting their journey to healing their OCD behaviors.
Great idea for younger people to begin to express their personal “whys” of their OCD. I think as someone who has been dealing with OCD in a therapeutic setting for any length of time would likely know most of the info this book helps uncover. However, both young and older OCD sufferers who haven’t been introduced to CBT for OCD will find these prompts helpful and revealing. It’s a great book to have a physical copy of rather than the digital copy I received as my ARC.
I received this ARC for a honest review.      I personally struggle with my own OCD, so I was curious if this would provide any new information or techniques I could try.    This would be better suited and more helpful as a physical book.     I can say that while it didn’t help me directly, it may be be helpful for a young adult who needs some coping mechanisms.   There were some errors, but that’s to be expected for an arc.   🤷🏻‍♀️
I received an eARC from NetGalley. This book is a self help book for people dealing with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). The author discusses her experiences with OCD very openly and honestly. Along the way she provides exercises and tips to try and aid those who deal with OCD to any degree.

The reason I requested this is because mental health is not as common a topic as it should be. While the stigma around it is slowly lessening, it is still a topic most people avoid. I have depression and anxiety, and have read many books on that aspect of mental illness, but I want to learn about other mental illnesses. I want to try and understand what it is like so I can help the people around me who suffer from OCD, or bipolar, or any of the numerous other mental illnesses. Personally, I found this book informative and understand a bit better what it must be like to live with OCD. I cannot judge it beyond that point; I don’t know to what extent the exercises would help someone with OCD, but from my perspective they looked incredibly helpful. For this reason I am giving this book 3.5 stars, as I think the real ratings need to come from people who can relate and judge this book subjectively, rather than objectively. And now for some quotes I found inspiring and relatable (not just for people with OCD, but for everyone)!

“The more you avoid something, the more your brain fears it.”

“When you are aware a thought is just a thought, it’s easier to ignore.”

“By picturing a thought or fear as a headline, it can make you realise it’s not very likely to happen.”

“Let’s begin to talk about our mental health and page by page, bit by bit, we will be okay.”
Great resource for people who need journaling ideas for their OCD management. I think a paper copy would be more helpful than an eBook.
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Diary is a self-help diary for those who battle OCD, written by an author winning her own battle. From a therapist’s perspective, I love the practicality and relatability of this. I can envision teen clients working through this as part of their recovery. It may be too simplistic for most adults and it isn’t a stand alone solution, but it is a fun complement to other interventions.

Thanks #NetGalley & #JessicaKingsleyPublishers
It's a diary which exercises for capturing your fears and seeing that some of them are completely unreasonable. The author apart from exercises provides her own examples of OCD behaviour and fears. I must admit that the journal is a bit intimidating at first because there's lots of free space to fill in. Whether it will help people who try to deal with their fears and phobias? I'm not so sure, still it's good that it's there.
A lot of grammatical mistakes and unreadable charts, diagrams and photos.
Nothing new just one person and their ocd.
Might help a teenager but that’s about as far as it goes.