Shamed

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Jul 2019

Shamed  proves that Linda Castillo has done it again, and that long-running mystery series can still continue to be 110% pure enjoyment even as they make you think. Shamed is just marvelous, and I am so thrilled that Kate and co. are ontinuing to provide thrills, chills, and best of all, things to think about! Even if you're new to this series, this is still worth checking out. It's just that good!
I enjoy the Kate Burkholder series and this book met my expectations of a great crime thriller set in Amish Country. This book opens with an Amish Grandma murdered in an abandoned house. She is with her two seven year old granddaughters, one escapes, the other is taken. Kate stumbles upon the scene when she is notified about an abandoned horse and buggy. When she finds out that a child is missing, everything is kicked into high gear to find the child. Kate Burkholder, her boyfriend John Tomasetti, as well as their respective police agencies and others that they pull in pull out all the stops to rescue this young child. There are many clues to follow up on, as well as secrets that are revealed along the way. As more "accidents" occur and are revealed to be murders or attempted murders, they know time is running out.

This story started with a bang and did not let up. It was a heart pounding, nonstop story that had me on the edge of my seat. There was action, some violence and many twists. Kate is a wonderful character. She often ends up in dangerous situations because she will do whatever it takes to do her job. She follows her hunches, and they usually prove to be right on. She works well with her department and respects the skills and abilities of those she works with. Having been raised Amish, it gives her a leg up on other officers when crimes involve the Plain People, in the nearby town of Painter's Mill. This book had me guessing right up to the end. As the secrets are revealed I was amazed and the story held me captive right to the end. I definitely recommend this one.
This is the first time I have read a book by this author and the first time I read a fiction book where the setting is the Amish. There is a missing little girl and a former Amish is now a cop so she thinks they are going to trust her more since time is a factor. I loved this and can’t wait to read more by her.
Once again Linda Castillo takes us to the quaint little town of Painters Mill.  Chief of Police, Kate Burkholder, is called to an abandoned farm.  A seven-year-old Amish girl has been kidnapped and her grandmother has been murdered.  Time is of the essence anytime there is a murder, but it is crucial when a little girl has gone missing.  As Kate is investigating the family, she realizes that they have been keeping secrets that may be at the heart of this tragedy.  Kate has to travel to a community in Kentucky to find more of the answers, but instead, she finds more dead bodies.  Will Kate be able to find the missing girl before she finds yet another dead body?

I can't believe that there have been eleven Kate Burkholder novels.  I remember reading the first one so many years ago.  Now it a visit with Kate Burkholder is one of my favorite things about summer.  This year's installment is another fast-paced read. Nothing too challenging, but full of familiar characters and familiar places.  And as usual, I had no idea what kind of twist was coming, but it was a bit of a surprise.    CLICK HERE FOR SPOILERS

Bottom Line - Shamed is another great Amish mystery by Linda Castillo.  If you haven't read her books, I do recommend that you start with the first book.  But, you will move through the series fast and you won't regret it!

Details:
Shamed by Linda Castillo
On Facebook
Pages: 304
Publisher: St. Martin's Publishing
Publication Date: 7/16/19
Buy it Here!
This book was ok.  I don't regret reading it, but pretty forgettable. The characters were fine, and the Amish story line added to my interest.  The mystery was interesting but kind of predictable. Should be 3.5 stars
I'm giving this book 4 stars because of the colorful language on this book.
But other than that it was ok just not my cup of tea so they say.
I don't understand why they would murder an Amish grandmother and I couldn't imagine how terrified that little girl must've been!!
I like Kate Burkholder. Her mannerisms towards the little girl is awesome! Of course I agree that it helps to have an Amish background along with this case.
I loved the mystery thatat surrounded this story it is what kept my interest throughout the whole book.
I also agree about the secrets! As they say eventually they'll all come out in the wash and we know it's serious if the Bishop becomes involved!
When I read the synopsis for Shamed I knew I had to read this book. It begins with an Amish grandmother being brutally murdered and one of her granddaughters being kidnapped. I mean what a way to start the book. Police chief, Kate Burkholder is on the case. Kate’s Amish roots helps a lot with talking to the members of the community who would otherwise not be so forthcoming with information to outsiders. Through many twists and turns we learn that this case is connected to another Amish community four hours away and possibly other murders?? There isn’t much I can say without giving away the story but I will say this is a must read.

Thanks so much to NetGalley for my copy!
Linda Castillo has done it again! This page turner is the latest in the Kate Burkholder series, and the mystery and suspense blended in with Amish customs makes for a fascinating read.  In this novel Kate is trying to find a missing Amish girl, Elsie, and discovers a lot of lies that led to the girl's disappearance. I love this author. She is phenomenal! Highly recommend this book.
This story grabbed you right from the get go.  The only thing I missed from this installment was the interaction with Kate and her team, as well as the personal relationship between Kate and Tomasetti.
I have read and enjoyed the entire Kate Burkholder series. But this one I felt lacked the suspense that is usually woven through the story. It was an interesting plot and a good mystery, it just didn't really thrill me. I'll continue to read the series as I do learn a lot about the Amish way of living.
St. Martin's Press and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Shamed.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Painters Mill has its own set of problems, but murder is not usually prevalent in the small town.  A well respected, beloved Amish grandmother is brutally murdered while collecting walnuts from an abandoned homestead.  When Chief of Police Kate Burkholder arrives on the scene, she is horrified to learn that the murderer took the woman's seven year old granddaughter with him.  When the search for answers uncovers a past that some would have liked to remain buried, will Kate be able to find the little girl before it is too late?

I like the Kate Burkholder series of books, especially because the author has portrayed her a strong, determined, and intelligent.  Kate's ties to the Amish community give her a unique perspective and provides a good backdrop for the novels.  All that being said, I thought that Shamed was a little weak compared to many of the other books in the series.  The perpetrator's ability to evade seemed unrealistic, as well as other aspects of the plot.  Overall, Shamed is a quick read and is a good continuation of the series.  Readers who like police procedural thrillers may like this series for its good investigative plot and strong female main character.
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview this ARC of Shamed by Linda Castillo.

A quiet Amish village is completely shocked when an older beloved woman turns up brutally murdered, and her special needs granddaughter goes missing.  How does such a thing happen to a community that believes in harmony and peace.

This is a piece in a long series about detective Kate Burkholder, an ex-member of the Amish community who speaks the language and has an "in" with it's residents.  Through her work and the work of the team, they unfold the sordid tale of this poor old woman and her innocent young granddaughter.

I'm sorry to say this with all the great reviews of this series, but, yawn.  It was surprisingly a bit cheesy and the dialogue grated on me.  Like it was trying to appease to the audience that loves chick-lit AND hardcore thrillers.  It just wasn't for me.
Shamed is a convoluted mystery.  Why would anyone murder an old Amish grandmother and take her special needs grandchild?  Sheriff Kate Burkholder uncovers some dark long held secrets in her Amish community.
As with all of Linda's books, I was hooked by the first page and it kept me on the edge of my seat until the last sentence of the last page. The plot is so well developed that I could envision all of the lush Amish landscapes, as well as the muddy farms.
This book starts out with an Amish Grandma brutally stabbed to death in an abandoned house. Her granddaughter is then kidnapped and she is only
seven years old. Kate Burkholder and Tomasetti, her boyfriend, are using their detective skills and are on the hunt to find her. Kate Burkholder is the Chief of Police. There are many clues and secrets and lies. While they are investigating more people seem to disappear. After an attempt on her own life, unearths a haunting and tragic secret that changes everything. She thought she knew about the family for whom she is fighting, the Amish community, as a whole, and every thing she thought she knew about herself. Will she reach the girl in time to save her life.

This is the 11th book in the Kate Burkholder series. I love in Ohio and I have visited this Amish town many times. It is located in Painter's Mill, Ohio along the Ohio River in Southern, Ohio. The author does a great job describing this town. It brings back memories of the times I visited there. It is so great to read about a setting that you can relate too.

I just love this series! The best part of reading this series is that they can be read as stand alones. They are quite addicting so once you read one, you will want to read them all. I would start on the first book to get to know the characters.

It was a powerful, heart pounding, nonstop adrenaline rush. I love it when a book does that to me.

Get ready for a thriller that has lots of action, some violence, and lots of surprises. This is one book that will keep you up late in the night, as you quickly turn the pages. Its a top notch edge of your seat mystery that will keep you guessing until the end.

I think that these characters are all so well done. I can really connect with them. I loved Kate and her drive to find the truth. She is very determined and I love her character. I also love Tomasetti and their relationship. I love the writing style.

It is sadly to say that I am all caught up and up to date in this series and hope to get her next book very soon and I cant wait to read it. This is my all time favorite series and they never disappoint.

I want to thank Netgalley, Minotaur Books, and the author for the copy of this book in exchange for a honest review.

Available Now
120 likes
It’s really not a secret that I’m a huge fan of Linda Castillo’s Kate Burkholder series. And with its 11th installment, Castillo shows how series can be both long-lasting and feel fresh and exciting.

This isn’t the “typical” Kate Burkholder book in that instead of going into the mystery blind, we get glimpses of part of the “why” and “what” early on, while Kate works to piece together the rest of the picture throughout the book. And the suspense is kept incredibly high throughout, as Kate once again has to fight and scrape for every tidbit of information.

But first, let me back up: The story begins with two young girls and their grandmother collecting walnuts. Then, suddenly someone shows up, murders the grandmother in cold blood and takes the 7–year-old girl. As Kate and her team look for little Elsie, they discover that there is much more to the story than a simple abduction.

It really was a thrilling ride throughout Ohio’s Amish community, as Kate works the case, which is emotional and complex. There’s some gray areas that really become apparent here, and those gray areas are left pretty open, which means the reader gets to fill in the blanks themselves. There’s some questions that aren’t really answered in the end, and it feels realistic, since the situation is so sensitive and ambiguous.

I also continue to like the character development with Kate and he team throughout the book as they continue to mesh together and get used to their new roles (Mona is an officer now). I would like to see more with her and Tomasetti, but hopefully there will be more of that in the next book, since there has been so much in the previous installments.

This book continues the great legacy of this series, and fans will be more than satisfied with how it keeps the story alive.
Loved this 11th book in Linda Castillo's "Kate Burkholder" series!
One of my all-time favourite series!
An Amish grandmother is murdered and her seven year old granddaughter is abducted. Chief of Police Kate Burkholder races against the clock to find the missing girl. The family is co-operative but Kate quickly learns they are keeping secrets.
Many plot twists reveal the dark side of Amish life.
A Captivating Read!

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books for an arc of this novel in exchange for my honest review.
With “Shamed” Linda Castillo continues her outstanding series set in the small town of Painter’s Mill, Ohio - an area with a large Amish population. Kate Burkholder, the chief of police, was formerly Amish and this provides her with a deep understanding of their beliefs and practices, along with the ability to communicate with them in their own language. When clues seem to point towards members of that community, she can’t comprehend how they could be involved in a young special needs girl’s disappearance and the brutal murder of her grandmother.  Additional murders occur in the Amish community and Kate and other law enforcement officers are in a race against time to find the little girl and bring the murderer to justice.

Castillo always writes suspenseful and expertly paced books and this series continues to expand my knowledge of Amish life.  With our culture so focused on the use of technology and modern conveniences it’s interesting and enlightening to contemplate a culture that lives (happily!) without automobiles, electricity (except for the use of generators,) smart phones, internet access, and all the other things we think are essential in our lives.  I missed reading more about her relationship with her boyfriend John Tomasetti, an agent with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, but I’m confident there will be more to come for the two of them.  Can be read as a stand-alone, but once you read one, you’ll be hooked!

My review was posted on Goodreads on 7/21/19.
Linda Castillo does not disappoint in this eleventh installment to the Kate Burkholder series.  A bit heavier and more disturbing than her previous books, the author takes Kate and the police force of Painters Mill down a dark and disturbing road with the murder of a grandmother and the abduction of a special needs child.

“Da Deivel has hurt Grossmammi” are the first words Kate can get out of terrified Anne Helmuth.  Mary Yoder is dead and 7-year-old Elsie is missing.  With little to go on and only a basic description, the police are left with very few leads.  The locals have no idea who could be responsible, but when an innocent comment is made about Elsie being a gift, new ideas are forming and when you kick over the right rock, family secrets are revealed.  Secrets lead up to the highest echelons of the tight-knit Amish community.  With the pieces coming together, Kate does not like the picture which is forming and why Elsie, of all children, would be kidnapped.  In a desperate need to have her child returned, Miriam Helmuth reveals the truth behind Elsie’s birth and what part both a mid-wife and Bishop Troyer had in a late-night visit to a remote farm.

As notes are being left with those who know more than they should, and bodies piling up, Kate is in a battle with time to have a child returned before any more damage can be done to the families involved and the community that protects them.

This book will grab you from the beginning.  You may have the intention of reading  a bit here and there, to savor what is being said,  but you will not be able to let go until you reach the end and know the pain some have suffered and the dishonesty others will go to when they think they are doing what is best for a child.
I received this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.  While this was my first book from this author I will be looking for more.  The normally peaceful Amish community is rocked by the savage murder of a grandmother, and the disappearance of her “special” granddaughter. Chief Kate Burkholder is up against the clock to find the missing girl. Further investigation uncovers secrets as well as suspicious deaths of other members of the normally peaceful community.