Cover Image: The Dragon Republic

The Dragon Republic

“The Dragon Republic couldn’t possibly live up to The Poppy War,” I thought to myself before opening the book. After all, The Poppy War was one of my favorite books of 2018 and it had the element of !surprise amazing! going for it (since I acquired an early ARC and went in without any expectations). Plus I’ve always had a hard time with second books in trilogies - they lack the magical ‘discovering a new world’ feeling of a first book and they don’t have the satisfaction of a third book.

Oh ye of little faith.

Okay, I’ll fully admit that I’d forgotten much of the first book, despite having read it twice. Worst book memory ever. BUT I’m still confident in saying that The Dragon Republic IS EVEN BETTER THAN TPW. YOU HEARD ME.

(Side note: if you also suffer book amnesia, fear not - R.F. Kuang has you covered! She did such a great job of reintroducing the characters, struggles, and stakes - I had no trouble diving right back in.)

TDR is so so SO powerful, packed full of emotions and themes. It’s both incredibly brilliant and so stressful to read, but in the best possible way. Because NO ONE IS SAFE. Its war, damnit, and Kuang does not pull her punches.

I can’t even begin to explain how many powerful themes come into play here. Some are familiar ones from the first book (addiction, morality in times of war, vengeance, wealth divide, racism, war crimes, soldier vs. commander responsibility, and so much more), while others are brand new or more strongly emphasized [spoiler redacted - will be added and spoiler tagged on goodreads]. My head spun with everything going on. And yet none of it feels awkwardly placed. It all fits seamlessly into the story.

I’m not usually a fan of villains. Rin is one of the only villainous characters I’ve ever rooted for, even though in many ways it felt wrong to do so. And she often doesn’t do herself any favors, acting impulsively and thinking about, saying, and doing terrible things to others. But there’s so much pressure on her and I couldn’t help but to want her to succeed. She’s tenacious and determined to survive, despite it all, and it’s hard not to be drawn to that kind of willpower.

But she’s not the only character I’m invested in from the series. AHHH there are so many! The characters act consistently and they feel so real. I can’t name some of the ones who appear in this book because spoilers, but I will mention that I absolutely love Kitay. As a former accountant, there were some jokes in the book that made me laugh so hard. Kitay has my heart!

Also, TDR made me understand why reading about Rin attending Sinegard in TPW was so necessary. I remember that the switch from academy to war was jarring for some readers and I’m not sure I understood why it was so important to tell the story in that way. But having read TDR, I can now say that the trilogy wouldn’t be nearly as powerful without our having spent a significant amount of time in Sinegard first.

Anyway, I’m writing a LOT because there’s so much to say about this book. There’s no way I can cover everything I felt or thought about this book in one review, so here’s a small sampling of my emotions and reactions throughout: laughter, gasps, sadness, worry, surprise, shock, heartbreak, devastation, empowerment.

READ THIS BOOK. Just remember, when you do finally sit down with a fresh, shiny copy of the book, do as Fonda Lee’s front cover blurb says and “brace yourself.”

Advanced copy provided by Harper Collins through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

(There are a ton of triggers in this book, but given that TPW was the mother of triggering books, I’ll just warn you that TDR is about on par with TPW.)

NOTE: Review links added!
I am stunned after finishing The Dragon Republic. At over 500 pages, I was nervous that I'd be bored or that the book would go in a direction I didn't care for, but The Dragon Republic exceeded all my expectations. It was riveting and compelling, exploring the cost of war, the lure of power, morality, religion, and colonialism.

Rin is the kind of character that I wouldn't say I love, but I can understand and appreciate her complexity. She carries so much rage because of her childhood and how people have treated her, and she's impulsive and arrogant. The stakes are high in The Dragon Republic, and the many military strategy and battle scenes are strong, both brutal and unflinching. I loved the supporting characters, from Kitay and Nezha to Daji and Vaisra.

Kuang has really improved as a writer and delved deeper into the compelling world she's created. I can't wait for the final book in the trilogy.
5/5 stars — an exceptional sequel worthy of The Poppy War

contains spoilers for The Poppy War but NOT The Dragon Republic

I haven't read a book of this length so quickly since I was in my teens. The Dragon Republic, R.F. Kuang's brilliant addition to The Poppy War series, certainly isn't for children, but it held the same thrill as all my childhood favorites with the added perspective of an adult take on war and the accompanying subtler types of violence. This book is heavy and dark, but absolutely impossible to put down.

Rin begins the book shaken by the death of Altan Trengsin, who was commander, teacher, and abuser in one messy package. She's also heavily dependant on opium to maintain control of her shamanic powers—and to deaden her memories of the atrocities she saw and committed in the Third Poppy War. The Dragon Republic is a story of military strategy, tyranny, colonial influence, and magic, but it still centers Rin's character as its driving force. This is her story; not of redemption, but of self-discovery and gaining intimate familiarity with her own strengths and weaknesses.

Rin is the least likeable protagonist I've ever read, but also (within reason) one of the most relatable. She's motivated by pain and praise; she's judgemental and filled with self-loathing. Kuang pulls no punches when it comes to Rin's character, filling her to the eyeballs with negative traits. And it works. By being authentically herself down to the last internalized horror, Rin is dreadfully and perfectly compelling. This is true of all Kuang's characters, down to the minor players who appear only a few times. They're messy and awful and real.

Kuang also works wonders with language in terms of both linguistics and prose. Without going so far as to invent whole languages, she weaves linguistic associations into her worldbuilding so that certain names/places instantly give you chills. Golyn Niis? Forever ingrained in my hindbrain as terrifying, but it sounded scary even before the events of the previous book. Hesperian? Sounds European and lofty in a holier-than-thou way, which is right on. The prose varies from Rin's unadorned introspection at the height of her addiction to punchy dialogue that further cements Rin coming into her own.

There's so much more to analyze and praise in the way Kuang constructs setting, conflict, and character arcs, but other reviews will (and have) done it better than I can. There's also a lot to unpack regarding fictionalized but universal lessons about treatment of refugees, technologically advanced nations interfering in other countries' conflicts to gain power and withholding aid while pushing religion, and internalized racism/colorism and classism, but those discussions are better left to people who can speak from a place of experience.

I'll keep it simple: read this book! If you enjoyed the first installment in the series, you know what to expect here. The Dragon Republic lives up to The Poppy War's legacy, delivering just as many moments of triumph, rage, and devastation. [My favorite quote isn't one of the most poignant or beautiful, but I think it sums up the peak of Rin's arc in this book, the moment I fell in love with her character all over again: "Fuck Altan, fuck his legacy, and fuck his trident. It was time she started using a weapon that would keep her alive." (hide spoiler)]

** content warnings: explicit wartime violence, rape, colorism, (fantasy) racism, referenced genocide and mass murder, gore, drug addiction, medical experimentation
5 stars

The Poppy War was good, this one is better
The Poppy War was brutal, this one is ruthless
The Poppy War enticed, this one demanded
The Poppy War sparked the war, this one incinerated the battlefield

There was nothing I did not love about The Dragon Republic.

Plot: ★★★★★
Pacing: ★★★★
Character growth: ★★★★★
War/Gore Factor: ★★★★★ (yeah it's still rough.)

The Dragon Republic is the explosive follow-up to R.F. Kuang's insanely talented debut novel, The Poppy War, and it does not disappoint—in fact, it packs double the punch. Haven't read the first book? Stop! Go find it! Read it! Love it! Then come back here! See if you agree with what I thought! Warning: it's going to spoil aspects of The Poppy War in order to cover its goodness.

Fang Runin (Rin) is not doing so well. At the end of The Poppy War, she's just watched her Cike commander/shaman/troubled love interest Altan sacrifice himself to the flames of the vengeful Phoenix god, and in her grief-torn rage she sets fire to an entire island. (An. Entire. Island.) She singlehandedly ended the Third Poppy War against the Mugunese...by killing an entire population in one swoop.

As we entire The Dragon Republic, Rin's struggling with the emotional backlash of that decision and sliding the slippery slope down to PTSD-inflicted opium addiction. She's shaky, hard to control, and hard to predict. The Phoenix is winning. Her characteristic ego is flailing. The last thing she wants is to be in control of the Cike, a small band of powerful shamans who are also held on the precipice of madness in order to commune with their gods and reap the supernatural powers. She's making poor decisions, and it shows. What can a soldier do when her commander abandons her?

She finds a new commander, a new war, and a new path toward vengeance. But is lending her war-ending powers to another puppeteer the answer to this game?

I can't say I was expecting this novel to unfold in this way it did—mainly due to the fact that the plot was impossible to predict. It had a lot more boats than I was expecting, and appealed to the inner pirate/adventurer in me. It introduced aspects of Western civilization-inflicted colonialism parallels that were disturbing to read and disturbing to reflect upon. In traditional Kuang style, it reflected aspects of China's history that will make your heart ache, and your conscience guilty. It reflects on female roles in the military, gender imbalances, and sexual violence as a result of war. I really appreciated these inclusions. It's not a pretty story, but it is a necessary one—and in the context of this fantasy world it has the potential for a glorious re-do. I can't wait for Rin to burn it down.

Also, the sheer amount of game-changing moments in this novel left me in a state of perpetual tension. Who will betray whom, and when, and how? Who will die next? How will Rin's characteristic impulsiveness react to this latest reveal? And where will Rin and Nezha's wonderful hate-to-maybe-more dynamic go as they dance around their lies and truths?

Like the first novel in the series, The Dragon Republic has a lot to say. It was brutal, it was vicious, it was nauseating. It took no prisoners and no one's life was sacred. But, it was also poignant, original, and absolutely thrilling. I can't wait to see where Kuang takes Rin next—it's going to be an explosive journey.
I loved this book. It’s a worthy follow up to The Poppy War and one that promises even more excitement to come. Kuang has shown that she is a force to be reckoned with and one that looks to be a rising force in the genre and one that’s providing an important perspective in fantasy. A
“People will seek to use you or destroy you. If you want to live, you must pick a side. So do not shirk from war, child. Do not flinch from suffering. When you hear screaming, run toward it.”

R. F. Kuang returns to the world of The Poppy War with this stunning sequel, The Dragon Republic. Everything I enjoyed about The Poppy War is not only present once again in The Dragon Republic, but amplified. Rather than falling victim to “middle book syndrome,” Kuang knocks it out of the park by taking Rin & Co. in an entirely new direction. Instead of continuing to fight the same old battles against the same old enemies, Rin becomes a soldier in a new fight: the battle to fill the power vacuum she created at the conclusion of The Poppy War.

For those who have yet to read The Poppy War, I highly recommend checking out my earlier review. Beware, O Ye Who Enter Here: there WILL be spoilers for the first book (and first book only).

There’s a time skip of several months at the start of The Dragon Republic, which helps to throw us right into the beginning of the new story arc. Where The Poppy War was a novel in two parts, starting with a military academy before throwing it out in favor of full-on grimdark military fantasy, the sequel has a much steadier pace throughout the book. I found this to be a great deal more enjoyable, as it felt more natural and less jarring. Rin and the Cike have fallen in with the pirate queen, Moag, before quickly being sold out to the Dragon Warlord: Yin Vaisra. Fortunately, Vaisra isn’t after their deaths, but rather after the firepower the Cike will bring to his campaign. Vaisra, you see, intends not to set himself upon a throne… but to create a democratic legacy rather than a dynasty. He intends to create a republic.

“Fear used to be a unifying force. Now the cracks in the foundation grow day by day. Do you know how many local insurrections have erupted in the past month? Daji is doing everything she can to keep the Empire united, but the institution is a sinking ship that’s rotted at the core. It may drift for a while, but eventually it will be dashed to pieces against the rocks.”

“And you think you can destroy it and building a new one.”

Rin, at this point, is thoroughly dependent on opium both to function and to contend with what she has done with the help of the phoenix. She is a shell of a person, not fit for command. However, a large portion of this book deals with her coming to accept not only who she is, but also who Altan was… both as a human being, and to her specifically. His memory is used against her repeatedly as a weapon, beating her down and crushing her spirit, and it is only by accepting herself and how she feels about him that she’ll be able to move forward. It’s a painful and heartbreaking process, but it’s a poison that’s eating her from the inside out and which must be purged before she can be whole once more.

“She’d known for months she was killing herself and that she didn’t have the control to stop, that the only person who might have stopped her was dead.

She needed someone who was capable of controlling her like no one since Altan could. She hated to admit it, but she knew that in Vaisra she might have found a savior.”

Kitay, of course, also returns in this novel. He’s grown, hardened by the massacre at Golyn Niis, but to Rin… he’s still the same old Kitay. He’s been hurt, and badly, but it’s forged him into steel. While Rin may still think of him as innocent and pure, Kitay will be tested and will not sit quietly when Rin tries to shelter him. I was thrilled to watch Kitay grow and develop, even as my soul ached to see him so.

The battles and war in the book are excellent, especially towards the conclusion as the shamans become more involved. In the start, I was impressed by the clever use of river warfare, including mines and delayed-release poisons. By the end, I was stunned by the vivid imagery of shamans fighting and using the powers of their gods against one another. For Rin & Co., this means fighting not only against new faces, but also against old friends – friends who they knew from their academy days.

“I suppose it’s not easy going to war against friends. . .”

“Yes, it is,” Kitay said. “They have a choice. Niang made her choice. She just happened to be dead fucking wrong.”

Kuang’s prose has also improved by leaps and bounds. Where I found The Poppy War to be slightly lacking in this regard, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the prose in The Dragon Republic. I found myself highlighting much more liberally, showcasing paragraphs and sentences I particular liked. Kuang’s cussing is also thoroughly on point, often with a dash of humor mixed in to alleviate the dark subject matter of the novels. Masterful use of the word “fuck,” if I do say so myself. Many paragraphs are poetic, thoughts and ideas that will stick with you.

All in all, this was a fantastic sequel that promises an explosive conclusion in the third installment. I’m already looking forward to what Kuang will bring us next!

This review and others can be read on my blog, Black Forest Basilisks. Thank you to Harper Voyager for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
As much as I enjoyed The Dragon Republic, it felt like it had “second in the series” syndrome. Not sure if there’s an official term, but sometimes, it feels like second books are not as exciting, especially if they are part of a trilogy. They tend to feel like a “bridge” between the exciting beginning and the thrilling conclusion. The second book always seems to start with where it logically should -what comes after the climax of the first book, after the harrowing battles or whatever equally gripping situation happened. The smoke is clearing, the pieces are being picked up, wounds are being tended. So, vital, but not the edge-of-your-seat storytelling that was the end of the first book. Although it is anticipated, with The Dragon Republic, it felt like that part went on a bit long, or at least, the action was a bit slow to pick back up. I was about halfway through the book before I experienced the feeling of eagerness to continue reading.
With that said, the second half of the book was thoroughly excellent. There were surprises, more magic, and huge turns of events. I wish I could say more, but you know, spoilers.
I have to say, this has been one of the best fantasy series I’ve read in a long time, and it feels so refreshing to read a YA fantasy (no matter how much I love them) that doesn’t center on royalty, which seems to be saturating the genre at the moment.
While I enjoyed The Poppy War immensely, The Dragon Republic felt bogged down and slow for me. I started to dislike Rin as I felt that her loyalties to her friends, the Cike, and her causes changed at the drop of a dime. I felt her character just wanted acceptance and a pat on the back constantly. The ending twist redeemed the story for me and because of that, I would read subsequent books in the series.
The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang 4 stars

It took me awhile to get through this ( I had to read parts of it more than once)  because this is a rich and complicated tale.  When I read the Poppy War, I took into account the author's comments on the violence that is depicted in the novel.  I have listened to podcast's where Ms. Kuang is interviewed on what inspired the books and therefore, I had an idea about what the Dragon Republic would be about.  Ms. Kuang did not disappoint her readers.

I enjoyed her imaginative take on Chinese history - the Sino-Japanese invasion, the Opium War of the 19th century and the formation of the Republic of China .  As we left Rin at the end of the Poppy War, she has been possessed by an elemental force and did a "Pompeii" on the entire island nation of Mugen.  During the first novel she finds out that the Empress she serves betrayed her and parts of the country to the Mugen.  She is determined to get vengeance an makes several attempts to achieve her goal.  She eventually encounters a old classmate and his father, the Warlord  of the Dragon Province who convinces her that the formation of a Democratic Republic is the only way to bring Nikan together.  They want her as a living weapon and to achieve her goal to kill the Empress she joins the cause.

Rin is such a conflicted and complicated character.  She want her revenge on all that was done to her and her friends and goes all out to make it happen.  But she has several handicaps - she is an opium addict because the drug gives her some rest from the elemental in her head; she wants to be a follower - for someone to validate her existence and give her praise and be worthy of her loyalty.  Unfortunately, the leader she follows has his own motives and asks her to be an assassin and willing lab rat.  He has no loyalty to her and I saw early on that she is a disposable asset.

This book asks the question - who is your true enemy and does the ends justify the means to achieve your goals.  Who is the real villain is this book - the story will offer more than one viewpoint for the reader to decide.
I eagerly await the finale of this series.

Thank you Netgalley and HarperCollins/Harper Voyager for this ARC.
Reviews to be published for each part of the book. The following is my review for Part One:

Part One of The Dragon Republic sees the most powerful woman in the world fighting against herself as she attempts to control her powers and come to terms with the destruction wrought from her actions. We continue to be reminded of how terrifying her strength can be and how powerful she can be when she learns to control her demons. It’s an interesting character journey filled with fights, betrayals, and a final battle that starts off the coming war. All in all, this is a great beginning to an epic tale.

GREAT STORYTELLING

This is masterful writing on display. Kuang alternates between the inner struggles of her protagonist, the destruction of the Empire at her feet, and the political intrigue needed for a major shift in power. Everything flows perfectly, leaving you mesmerized with the story and excited to see what direction it will take.

THE HORRORS OF WAR

In the beginning of the book, we see the aftermath of war and the destruction it unleashes. Beyond the general breakdown of consolidated power, we see the suffering refugees trying to find a home, the bodies floating in the water, the cities all but gone. Rin is on a journey to rebuild the Empire, but seeing the horrors of war makes that journey all the more painful. Those stark descriptions show the sacrifice to come and if deeply affects all involved.

CONSTANT POLITICAL MANEUVERING

Politics highlights the first part of the book as the vulturous warlords descend on the Autumn Palace for a council. Rin is sided with Vaisra, a powerful warlord with an incredibly impressive navy. We see her struggling to come to terms with serving someone beyond herself and, when she finally agrees to become a part of the fight, it’s a big growth moment for her. Whereas before she couldn’t move beyond her own needs, she now sees what must be done to save people from the destruction she’s witnessed on her travels. There are plenty of behind-the-scenes moments as we watch the warlords bicker and see Vaisra try to gain followers on his side. The Empress herself is a terrifying presence, imbued with immense power that shocks in the right moments.

BREATHTAKING POWER

It’s startling to follow a group of such powerful shamans. Rin in particular has an immense power that can burn cities to the ground, brought on by any number of factors that incapacitate her with anger and revenge. It’s terrifying on the page, filling the masses with fear. We get to know her as a person, get to see the past that’s constantly roiling about in her mind, but that power keeps you from being completely on her side.

To be published on 8/9: http://reviewsandrobots.com/2019/08/09/reading-the-dragon-republic-part-one
I'm not going to lie I didn't completely finish this book.. I really liked the poppy war and was interested in seeing where Kuang  takes us next. Except I just cannot get behind this complete opposite character change of our main character. I tried reading the beginning, but kept getting distracted and not happy with the direction. I do want to know what happens in the end, but I couldn't force myself to finish it at this time when I have so many more that are actually sucking me in.
Rin is back for another adventure and another war. The Dragon Republic really kept me reading. The story is engaging and honestly, makes me even want to be friends with these fantasy people IRL.

I loved The Dragon Republic just as much as its predecessor and read through it just as quickly.

Anyone else wish they had secret dragon powers?
This book more than lived up to the first book,  in my opinion. It is hard to nail a sequel and a second book in a trilogy, but Kuang delivered a masterful one that builds on the first book while raising the stakes and intensifying the conflict. I also loved the character development of the major characters, especially Rin and Kitay, and it was fascinating to watch the choices they made even if I didn't agree with them. The action scenes were thrilling and nerve wracking.
This book was an emotional rollercoaster ride from start to finish, and I feel like I've been wrung out and left to dry. I'm super stoked for the final book and can't wait to see how everything turns out for Rin and the others.
The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang picks up where The Poppy War left off, with Rin on a mission to destroy the Empress.

Rin is a warrior and a shaman, worlds apart from the meek girl she grew up as. She controls a god–kind of–but her inexperience and impulsiveness get her and her crew into trouble on more than one occasion. As a warrior and shaman, she’s strong, but as a commander, she’s weak. She still hasn’t full accepted her role as commander and barely knows how to lead herself, let alone other shamans and misfits.

Rin is on a mission to destroy the Empress, the traitorous Empress who sold out Nikan. Teaming up with the Dragon Warlord, she throws herself mind and body into war. She’s good at war. She knows how to fight, and she does it well.

But things aren’t always what they seem, and as the battles progress, she starts to lose faith in the Dragon Warlord. Do his true motivations match his pretty words?

The Empress is strong. The Dragon Warlord is fierce. And the Phoenix is positioning itself for chaos. Rin has to navigate the slippery slopes of power, keeping herself out of the line of fire.

Can she defeat the Empress before power consumes her?

I really wanted to love The Dragon Republic, but unfortunately, I did not. The Poppy War and the The Dragon Republic have all the makings of an epic fantasy series, but I found myself woefully bored as I read them.

The storyline in The Dragon Republic is amazing, even though the delivery failed to engage me. Although long-winded, I enjoyed Rin’s quest for vengeance.

While the characters were interesting, they lacked depth. Over 1,000 pages between the two books, and I don’t feel like I know the characters very well at all. Even Rin, the main character, is shallowly written. Who is Rin really?

Unfortunately, I didn’t like Rin as a character at all in The Dragon Republic. She quickly became a love-to-hate character. Her actions and words were frustrating more often than not, and I couldn’t find myself caring about what happened to her. This is disappointing, because I loved her character in the beginning of The Poppy War. She went from fierce, caring, and committed to cold, reckless, and rash.

While The Dragon Republic wasn’t my favorite read, I’m still planning to read the next book in the series. I want to know what happens next, and I have high hopes that Rin’s character will start turning around.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing the Kindle version of this book in exchange for an honest review.
2.5 stars for this ambitious but lacking sequel to The Poppy War.

There are books I read that I can easily assign a rating to. Five stars, four, two—the number pops into my head, and I know without a doubt whether I like the book or not.

The Dragon Republic is not such a book. I found myself hovering between a deeply aggravated 2 stars, an ambivalent 3 stars and a pleasantly surprised 4 stars while reading. But when I consider the sum of it, rather than the parts, I find myself settling on 2.5 stars for this occasionally brilliant, but frequently flawed book.

A quick summary: Rin is now commander of the Cike, a elite group of shamanic warriors, and is not doing a particularly good job at leading them, what with her drug addiction and war-induced PTSD. She still has her heart set upon exacting revenge on the Empress Su Daji, but has neither the resources nor the strategy to do so. So when she gets roped into joining the Dragon Republic bent upon starting a civil war against the Empress, she finds new purpose—but enters a new game of political machinations.

Let's begin with the positives: while the first book The Poppy War suffered from its structure feeling like three different books stitched together under one binding, the Dragon Republic reads as a cohesive story, with no tonal shifts.

Although parts of the book dragged with lengthy, strangely paced battles, there were also parts that were riveting to read, the plot careening through one twist to another. There were some entertaining creative decisions made throughout that energised the plot and kept me reading on.

I also liked the thematic exploration of the West (called Hesperians) entering the East, and their patronising attempt at colonising. It's very heavy-handed, not in the least bit subtle—but eh, it was one of the more interesting parts of the book.

Now for the bad parts of the book that made my interest falter—and occasionally pissed me off.

First off, I need to add a disclaimer for my review: I am a reader who must connect with the main character in order to like the book. I am happy to see the protagonist suffer, make stupid decisions and mistakes as long as I like them and feel they are ultimately a person I would want to support in real life. Which does mean that grimdark fantasy is usually not my cup of tea—I don't emotionally resonate with crapsack characters doing crapsack things in a crapsack world.

So I think a large reason why I struggled with this book was because I find Rin only pitiful at her best, and tremendously detestable at her worst.

Rin begins this book in a drug-induced slump, trying to cope with the ramifications of her brutal decisions in the last book. While the Poppy War ended with her taking control of her situation and committing herself to a new cause, the Dragon Republic slogs through a very slow-paced chunk of chapters showcasing her incompetence as the new Cike commander. Is this a problem in itself? No, I can understand the author wanted to show the impact that the trauma of war and grief has on Rin.

But this unfortunately does not make the rest of Rin's behaviour enjoyable to read. Rin is childish, insufferable, and hypocritical. I can understand her taking refuge in anger to shield herself from facing the ramifications of her warcrimes, but the way she does so feels so juvenile, like watching a hormonal teenager throwing a tantrum. The constant references to her shrieking and screaming do not help. "Fuck you!" is a common refrain from her.

She picks fights and begins petty arguments throughout the entire book, which gets nauseating to read after a while. There is a noticeable absence of empathy in her, which means many of her arguments cast her in a bad light when the reader thinks about it. For example, when she learns Chaghan has also caused mass destruction and wiped out loads of innocent lives, instead of even remotely entertaining the idea of commiserating over their crimes together, she...giggles and taunts him. Later on, learning that one reason he grieves the loss of Altan was because he loved him, she...loses her shit over nothing? When Nezha shares his story of seeing his little brother devoured before his eyes as sacrifice to a dragon, and how he's been dealing with the chronic pain the water god inflicts upon his body, Rin calls him a coward and later insists that his pain "can't be that bad."

Her lack of empathy and sympathy leads her to being hopelessly hypocritical at times. She rants in a chapter over a city submitting to the Federation during the Third Poppy War, calling them cowards for not fighting to the death, when the very next chapter has her docilely capitulating in a similar way to investigation by the Hesperian army because she knows she cannot fight them so easily. Yet none of this dissonance ever pings for her. She never stops and thinks that maybe the city surrendered to stop wasting lives in a war they were going to lose, to protect the lives of civilians inside and prevent a Golyn Niis situation from occurring. As much as the rape of Golyn Niis infuriated her, driving many of her decisions since, she somehow cannot wrap her head around civilians of other cities choosing to do what they can to avoid it, even if it means surrendering to the enemy. She whines constantly of her disadvantages in life, without realising that she is now 1) a powerful wielder of fire, 2) a soldier who trained at the best military academy in the nation, and 3) commander of a group of powerful shamans, which means she now has several advantages an ordinary soldier, much less a typical untrained civilian, would not have in battle. Not everybody can call on a fire god to make a volcano erupt and wipe out an entire country, Rin. Her anger is the most defining aspect to her character, and man, these kind of rage-fuelled characters never do it for me.

I recently read the author intends this to be a villain-origins story—but there are ways of doing this that don't make me outright lose all sympathy for the main character so early on. What more, I read the author does not want to use "sociopathy" as a reason for Rin's descent into madness, but frankly, that's the only word I can use to describe much of her attitude throughout the book. It does get better in the latter half of the book, when Rin finally gets herself together—but even here, there are plenty of moments of her acting petty and childish peppered around.

Which is just another reason why I find her a deeply uninteresting protagonist. She whinges far too much, and acts helpless for far too long. I dislike how the second book follows the first book closely in one aspect: in The Poppy War, she quickly devoted herself to Altan. In The Dragon Republic, she immediately does the same to General Vaisra, going into fits when she thinks she's no longer of use to him and will be discarded. So the continuous pattern of her making dumb decisions to advance the cause of a man and then being betrayed again and again and again gets a little tiring. The ending somewhat makes up for it, showing her choosing to make her own way and be a leader at last—but then again, the Poppy War also ended with her talking like she was going to take charge, only for the sequel to open with her being a floundering, ineffectual mess. This doesn't inspire much confidence in me.

Regarding the prose:
I think it can be argued that the prose has improved since The Poppy War, but there were still many issues. The author leans on telling rather than showing in many, many instances; her descriptions remain lacking, and often fails to paint a vibrant visual of anything; character interactions are flat and two-dimensional, and I didn't buy some of the sudden closeness and camaraderie they exhibited; characters still speak like modern day teenagers—including some adult generals, alarmingly.

The author also should be gently advised to cut down on at least 50% of the italics in the book. They contributed to a juvenile bad YA-style prose (not to be confused with good YA-style prose) that doesn't trust the reader to intuit how to read the sentence with the right emphasis. I also couldn't help but notice the first half of the book was littered with the adverb "terribly" to the point that I got annoyed whenever it inevitably popped up again (the second half doesn't suffer as much from the terribly-itis). I'm also not entirely convinced the author justifies her rampant use of semi-colons (which are a wonderful tool that should be employed precisely and sparingly).

Now, this review sounds pretty bad. So why 2.5 stars? That's not a great rating, but my review makes it sound like I should be docking even more stars. But in the end, I can't deny I found myself turning the pages quickly, always wondering what disastrous decision would Rin make and what kerfuffle would ensue. And once again, I must end with the conclusion: a book doesn't have to be perfect. Sometimes all it has to do is entertain. And that is what this flawed book does.
This was a great second installment. I really enjoy this world and the characters. I did feel that the first half dragged a little before it really got into the meat of the plot. There was a little wandering from Rin before the main storyline really started, but the second half pulled me in. The world building is fantastic and very fleshed out, and in this book you get to learn a little more about other regions. I’m excited for the next one!
The Dragon Republic is a fireworks display from a very talented author that you will be willing to follow to any destination.

Kuang has proved herself capable of orchestrating walloping storylines in The Poppy War. But The Dragon Republic remarkably lays down even more potential. The author digs with dark glee into this sequel, and from page one, she doesn’t let up. The result is a sprawling—yet dynamic—novel that twists history, geography, mythology and fantasy into a resonant tale that underscores just how fragmented our own realities can be during periods of fear, unrest, and inequality—and an aching reminder that retaking what has been lost isn’t always the answer.

With understated skill, Kuang carries this book with the same taut vision and exacting precision that made its predecessor so winning. Moving like liquid, like a fish through the waves, the author unspools the novel’s plot slowly, never passing up a chance to make things tenser and tenser. It becomes head-spinning how all expectations are upended—hope and despair flared and died in me by turns, and each turn of the page was like the held-breath interlude between when a button gets pushed and the bomb either detonates or is defused. It’s exhilarating.

The author succeeds admirably on all fronts, creating a rich tapestry of wonders as well as brutality and oppression. The action is ferocious, bloody, and unrelenting—but Kuang renders that violence extremely well, and its physical and psychological effects are believable and lasting. The monsters of this novel are eerily familiar—the series, after all, contains a bright shard of China’s living past, the writing loathsomeness of humanity’s crimes against itself on full display. But for its all bloodcurdling, heart-lurching spectacle, The Dragon Republic isn’t all grim: the author knows exactly when to dole out the humor—there’s always a second for the reader to breathe, and for the protagonists to enjoy a merry quip, a smarting rejoinder, or a philosophical discursion.

It’s the ending, though, that makes The Dragon Republic an absolute knock-out. It strikes like a thunderstroke: electric, sizzling, and minutely delivered. I felt its rattle through me: a wash of panic rising up your throat, just a slap of feeling that makes you jerk to a halt, then shake your head, as though motion could dispel memory.

But even more than all of that, for me the novel’s driving force was its rich cast of characters—driven by passion, duty and humanizing, terrifying flaws, they are rendered as fully realized as ever. In many senses, The Poppy War and The Dragon Republic are two tales of two different times, and two very different people: the first, young, dauntless and full of hope, and the person she became in the wake of tragedy.

The epigenetic legacy of war, Altan and Rin have grown up with blades in their hearts. The first book is a bitter tale of how that war began, how it went back before the two of them, how they inherited it, with all else that they inherited. Inside Altan was a ruin, a funeral pyre, and the chaos of his mind amplified in Rin’s. Rage and grief, guilt and shame: these were emotions they both knew too well. Forgiveness, or even love, those were foreign countries to them, which had to be learned stone by stone.

In this sequel, the memories stack layer upon layer until they reach their inevitable conclusion: Rin had snatched hungrily at Altan’s words and loved him with her frightened eyes, thought him perfect—but “Altan was no hero,” and he wasn’t perfect, he could be selfish and remote and often cruel and still she followed him, in spite of, because. In his absence, however, Rin must come face to face with who she was—what’s she’s done—and decide what kind of person she wants to be. Rin can’t undo the damage her power has already wrought on the world, but perhaps she can seal the wound, stanch the bleeding. When it becomes clear that this is only feasible if Rin expunges Altan from her mind (“That boy is a disease on your mind. Forget him.”), and let his memory fade to a mothlike flicker, filching any remaining warmth—the task seems too excruciating to bear. Altan’s ghost was ineradicable, and in unguarded moments, the thought of him was like a wire brush on rubbed-raw skin (not only for Rin, but frankly myself as well). This is not the only way in which the author tightens the vice on Rin’s character. Rin hits many bumps, and is thrown many times, as though marked off with a cosmic kick me sign pinned to her back, and she’s also forced to confront the crimes and faults she has hitherto avoided looking directly in the eye. I just hope, Kuang has planned several intensive therapy sessions for her at the end of *gestures vaguely* all this.

That said, The Dragon Republic’s depth of character doesn’t just begin and end with Rin. There are characters who now have complex, multidimensional narratives, and others who fade to the back, to make room for their compatriots.

Kitay’s arc, in particular, still claws at me. He is no longer the lighthearted kid from the first book—soft, naive, undamaged—but a tempered, burdened and hardened version of himself. Kitay and Rin were both trapped by the same horrific day, but while Rin had always worn her feelings like a cloak, Kitay had kept his quiet and close. The flesh-tearing pain of loss and fury left splinters in him that silently festered, and it disturbs me still to think of the change Kitay has undergone, particularly when I feel that there’s something about his character still kept at something like arm’s length. This was a new worry I had not considered, since truthfully, I hadn’t thought of Kitay at all until I read this book, and, by his second reappearance, I’ve already drawn the adoption papers, ready to go full on fucking Mother Hulk upon anyone who dares lay a finger on him.

New revelations about other characters I’ve thought I knew also left my mind churning in circles. They were suddenly redefined, brought into sharper focus, clear as glass, and my perspective of them grievously altered. It made a scattering of my thoughts, even as I was in awe of Kuang’s unerring ability to craft characters that leap off the page and follow you off the book.

The Dragon Republic should doubtless prove to be a sizzling success. I’m really looking forward to the next installment (but with a sense of opulent gloom and indeterminate anxiety).
Sad to say - but I am DNFing this. I LOVED The Poppy War, but this was just redundant. Rin has not changed at all - a book and a half and we have absolutely no character growth - just a whiny brat with daddy issues. We've substituted Altan for someone else and it's the same story. Also the battles...my god, are they boring. And the ships...once a fantasy novel gets to the ships and stays there for all of the book - I am done. I started this book in May - it is not almost August and I can't read more than  2 pages at a time b/c I am SOOOO BORED. And I don't care about any of the characters - I just don't.

The good: I did enjoy the historical depiction of the East meeting the West. I think it is important to understand how an indigenous population saw western soldiers and reacted to them.
The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang is very nearly the perfect sequel to The Poppy War.  The first novel was such a pleasant surprise and my expectations for it went from next to nothing to sky high for this follow up.  I really lucked out when I was approved for this advanced copy on NetGalley because book two really delivers.  I don't want to give too much away, but Rin is a pleasure to know regardless of all of her complexities and the rough situations she finds herself in the middle of.  She and her crew go through some stuff to say the least.  Fair warning: the stakes are very high and not everyone is safe.  Overall, The Dragon Republic will keep you on edge and dying for more.  I can't wait to see what happens in the next novel in the series.  Not only that, but I also can't wait to see everything this author will work on in the future.
The Dragon Republic is the highly anticipated sequel to The Poppy War which was one of my favorite reads of 2019 so far. I am so thrilled that I got my hands on a copy of The Dragon Republic because I love the characters of this series and needed more of their story. In this installment many of our favorite characters are back to face both new and old enemies.

While the first book was incredibly difficult to summarize as it took place over a period of years and so much happened, this book was a little different in that aspect, as it focused on political and military issues. The first book also introduced us to so many characters and Rin went through quite a lot of change, where in this book we know everybody and while they do grow and change, it didn’t feel as drastic. This book is primarily a military fantasy, and while I loved that part of The Poppy War, I also really loved the military school setting and watching Rin struggle to discover who she was and what she could do. Of course with any sequel you expect it not to be as great as the first book, and where The Poppy War absolutely blew my mind, The Dragon Republic was a great continuation.

“Because when you have this much power, it’s selfish to sit on it just because you’re scared.”

I felt like we got to know some of the other members of the Cike better, like Chagan and Ramsa. I love this ragtag mix of shamans, Chagan always calls Rin out on her stubborn bullshit and Ramsa was a great comic relief. We also gt to know Kitay a bit better. I really enjoyed seeing him become more of a main character because he is so intelligent and cunning and I felt like having him as more of a central fixture really added to the plot. I also thought that the book did a great job representing drug addiction and what it is really like, without demonizing it too much. Rin struggled hard against her opium addiction and I’m so glad that aspect of the story was done well.

The nice thing about opium was that once she’d inhaled it, everything stopped mattering; and for hours at a time, carved out into her world, she could stop dealing with the responsibility of existence.

The thing that I love about this series is that the writing is so great that the books are so compulsively readable. I devour these 500 to 600 page books in absolutely no time at all. I am so attached to all of these characters and I love the story lines. I feel like I am constantly searching for high fantasy books like this with amazing character development and intricate plots set in worlds that feel real, have layers of political issues and compelling fantasy elements. While The Dragon Republic wasn’t as amazing as The Poppy War it was still an incredible read. I am glad that this isn’t the end of the series, but sad that I have to wait for the next book in the series, because I got to read this book right after finishing The Poppy War.