The Brides of the Big Valley

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Aug 2019

Enjoyed this book. Kept me interested all the way through. Would recommend to a fellow reader.  Love the cover.
I loved each story in this book. The book contains three different romances centered around Big Valley, Pa. Each story is written by a different author. Each community can be identified by the color of their buggy tops. I enjoyed learning the customs of the different communities. I can't pick a favorite because I loved them all and thought they were great. Go grab your copy today you will be glad you did.
This book is what I have come to expect from Wanda Brunstetter- simply fantastic! From the colorful imagery used throughout to the simple ways we can connect with the characters, the author draws us into remarkable stories. This is a collection of stories to cherish.
A great collection of 3 stories! I enjoyed reading this book and had a hard time putting it down. I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and Barbour Publishing in exchange for an honest review.
Three beautiful, Amish short stories about love. The author’s are Wanda Brunsetter, her daughter-in-law, and her granddaughter. All three stories are about 3 different Amish communities in the Big Valley area. I always learn a little more about the Amish community when I read these stories.
Many thanks to Barbour Publishing and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
I was disappointed in this collection, to my big surprise. I know how famous are the writings of the author and had so looked forward to these stories. Yet, compared to a couple of other authors of Amish fiction who have become my favorite go-tos for that sub-genre, I was quite saddened. The writing was so stiff and unnatural between the characters— completely unbelievable. Also, repeatedly unneeded extra phrases would be inserted to try to explain things that were unnecessary— the name of someone, then explained that this was a husband or wife, when the situation had plainly indicated that to be so. All of that was so distracting that the minimal plot couldn’t take off and create a decent novella. I had such high hopes for these stories, but, nevertheless, did not even desire to finish this collection. Perhaps a single longer book by Wanda would be much better to try next time.
Barbour captivates with this trio of novellas set in a Pennsylvania Amish community — each focuses on love and faith, each deeply touches the heart. 5/5

Pub Date 01 Jun 2019.

Thanks to the authors, Barbour Publishing, Inc. and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinion are mine.

#TheBridesOfTheBigValley #NetGalley
The Brides of the Big Valley contains three charming Amish stories.  I thought the stories were well-written with steady pacing.  I like that there is a common thread throughout the three books.  All three feature the same community and the Renno family.  We also get updates on Elmer and Deanna in Rose Mary’s Resolve and Leila’s Longing.  Wanda has an engaging writing style.  I immediately became absorbed in Deanna’s Determination.  Jean and Richelle are accomplished writers who provided enriching novellas.  I thought the various characters in The Brides of the Big Valley were realistic and it was interesting to learn about the three diverse Amish communities.  They are all Amish and in the same valley, but they have various differences (not just the color of their buggy tops).  My favorite was Deanna’s Determination.  It is a story that touched my heart and I found myself rooting for Deanna and Elmer. I really liked the cardmaking in Leila’s Determination and the fact they had a shop selling the handmade cards plus cardmaking supplies.  The phrase I wanted to share with you comes from Leila’s Longing and is “His presence provides us with contentment” (that makes me feel loved and peaceful).  All three authors provided inspiring and enticing tales.  There is a recipe included from each story.  The Brides of the Big Valley are heartwarming stories about love, family, and faith.
This collection is written by Wanda Brunstetter, her daughter-in-law, Jean Brunstetter and grand-daughter, Richelle Brunstetter.  Each story was informative and enjoyable.  I had no idea that there were three different Amish communities that are distinguished by the color of their buggy's top- white, black or yellow.

As I read these stories I think of Jeremiah 29:11.  GOD was in control.  He had a plan for Deanna, Rose Mary and Leila.  He has a plan for each one of us.

I can never get enough of Wanda Brunstetter's books.  I know that I will enjoy every minute.  The added bonus is that Jean and Richelle are very talented themselves.  I enjoyed that the characters in the first story showed up in the other stories as well:  a wonderful way to connect all three.

Pick up this book and escape to Amish Country!
The Brides of the Big Valley, a book with three stories that can each stand alone. The beginning of the book tells of the different colored tops the Amish community uses. I found this very interesting, we only have black tops in my town.

Deanna's Determination was my favorite story in book. I just fell in love with her son, Abner. Deanna falls for Elmer and you think life will be all smile and happiness for them. A turn of events, leaves everyone doubting life, love and faith.

Rose Mary's Resolve and Leila's Longing each bring choices of forgiveness and acceptance withing their Amish communities, and trials of their own.

Overall, it was an enjoyable book. The second two stories didn't grab my attention as much as the first one. Something about sweet Abner just pulled at my heartstrings. I believe there is a story for everyone to enjoy in this collection.

I received a copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to leave a review.
This is a very good book to read. Nice clean romance. This a set of three stories about the Amish and a look into their lives. Very well written the author was able to make you feel and see what they were experienceing in the story. Very down to earth storylines with heartache and joy. Really enjoyed the pace of this book .
Trilogy of Amish novellas

This trilogy of Amish novellas is connected by setting, as well as the authors being connected by family.   Although you may be expecting all sweetness and light, you will find a surprising depth in each of these stories.  I don't normally like novellas, but found these all very good reads, especially the first one in the book. Highly recommended.

Posted on Amazon.com, pending their review process
The Brides of the Big Valley is a collection of three romances all set in the Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, known as the Big Valley, and is written by three generations of Brunstetters, Wanda, her daughter-in-law, Jean, and Wanda's granddaughter, Richelle. It was very interesting to read about the three different Amish groups in the Big Valley and how they interacted with individuals from each of the other congregations. Each of the main characters is challenged in her faith as she seeks to do God's will in her life in regards to love and marriage. The stories are well-written with strong, lovable characters, good dialogue, twists to the plot and a little humor amidst the romantic tension. Readers will quickly be caught up in the lives of each of the characters and their stories, hoping for things to turn out satisfactorily. Having now read two of these collections by these three women I am looking forward to reading even more from this set of authors.
I usually LOVE Wanda E Brunstetter books, this one I simply liked. Granted there were three separate authors, one for each novella, all dragged in places. The plots were fine, I really liked them. However the flow of each story was stilted in places, heavy in others.
The overall experience was a good one. I loved the characters and I really enjoyed "meeting" them. It was interesting to learn about different types of Amish. The three living in the area covered in this book are the yellow top, white top and black top referencing their buggy covers. Their lifestyle, dress and furnishings are the main distinguishing characteristics, the authors did an admirable job bringing these little details forward throughout the story as the different Amish interacted with each other.
The stories were enjoyable.
Journey to The Big Valley in Pennsylvania through the pages of Brides of the Big Valley, a novella collection by Wanda E. Brunstetter, Jean Brunstetter, and Richelle Brunstetter. Featuring a unique look at the three distinct groups of Amish living in this area, this collection offers readers the chance to connect with three young women searching for faith and love.

I have read a good number of Amish Fiction, so I'm always intrigued when someone writes a book about an Amish community I'm not familiar with. The Amish in this community identifies themselves by the colors of their buggy’s top—white, black, or yellow. It was interesting to learn about their different beliefs through the pages of this book.

I think it is wonderful that three generations of Brunstetter's are coming together to write this book. There were certainly interesting aspects to each of the stories and I enjoyed how each story was unique and gave us a glimpse inside the lives of the three different groups in this community. However, while I wanted to learn more about the communities, I struggled to get wrapped up in this book. It seemed like it took the stories a while to develop, a little too long, and then the endings came a little too fast.

Although this book held a lot of promise and offered me the chance to learn about a new Amish community, it fell short in delivering the captivating story I was hoping for. I'm still a fan of Wanda E Brunstetter's writing and I'm looking forward to her next full-length novel.
I found these three stories to be heartwarming and fun being written by family members. Wanda Brunstetter authored Deanna’s Determination. Deanna, a member of the white top buggy community, lost her husband through an accident and is trying to raise her young son by herself. Her husband’s best friend is determined to help her all he can until an accident befalls him.
Wanda’s daughter in law, Jean Brunstetter, wrote Rose Mary’s Resolve. Rose Mary belongs to the black top buggy community and is courted by Tom who is contemplating leaving the Amish. She has no plans to do the same. When a plane stalls and lands in one of her family’s fields, she is attracted to the young English pilot who has a bad bump to the head.
Wanda’s granddaughter, Richelle Brunstetter, penned Leila’s Longing. Leila is a member of the yellow top buggy community, who are a little less conservative. She has been troubled most of her young life because of things that happened at school. She has a hard time making friends and having confidence in herself. But she also longs to fall in love and one day marry and raise a family of her own.
This was the first time I’d heard anything about the different Amish Communities based on the color of the buggy top. Some more conservative than others and the white tops do not have indoor plumbing. They are closely guarded groups that do not encourage young people to intermarry and leave their own communities. But when couples fall in love....what are they to do? All these characters in each story had problems and issues to work out. I was drawn to each one and their circumstances and waited on their happy endings. Romance and family bonds were forefront in each story as well as their searches for God’s guidance in each of their unique situations.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review.
a) Deanna's determination
 In this short story, Deanna, of 'white toppers' conservative amish group, is a strong young widow woman.
 when accident occured to the people you love, le life will become upside down.
 only with faith, help, love, you can have the strength to go ahead, change the heart and mind, to re-invent your life, and put away the angst and fear.
 b) Rose Mary's resolve
 Tom, Rose Mary boyfriend, likes English world, with car to drive, shops full of clothes, time to visit cieies and go around.
 He pushes Rose Mary to try English world too, but she is content with the life as amish with God to speak to, with family and friends, simple things to enjoy.
 c) Leila's longing
 Leila is a shy person, with fear and trouble to speak to the people. slow she'll learn and improve to trust people, thanks to Aden and his patient and love.
These 3 stories make the readers feel good and think about some topics: simple life, God, trust, forgiven, death and grieving.
“The Brides of the Big Valley” by Wanda, Jean and Richelle Brunstetter is a book containing three titles written by the Brunstetter authors.  Each novel within this novel is a separate book.  The basis of each book is different in that each represents a different sect of the Amish community.  Each novel deals with a woman of marriageable age in the community and the difficulties and misunderstandings each woman encounters.

I have read many Amish novels and each one seems to deal with the struggle to accept the Ordnung of the faith.  The rules of what you can do and cannot do can be, at least to me, a deal breaker in joining the faith.  This is the norm of the Amish communities.

I usually enjoy Amish stories, but I found something lacking in this set of novels.  I experienced a feeling that each story was written with a definite outcome in mind.  However, I felt that the writing itself relied on non-essential conversations between characters just to fill out the pages of the novel.  Also, it seemed that even though there were obstacles each heroine had to overcome, the results just seemed to pop up conveniently at the end of the stories.  This was not my favorite novel by the Brunstetters.
This was a really nice read.
Written by mother, daughter in law and grandchild. They really.made the stories work, and compliment eachother perfectly.
Each short story was well written and all three felt complete and not cut short or rushed.

Set in three neighbouring Amish communities, It was interesting to read about the different standards and lifestyles each had.
I was also very happy to read that the first story included a child with downs syndrome,  special needs adult and children are not portrayed often enough in fiction.

Overall Very enjoyable.

I voluntarily read and reviewed this book, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
I always love finding out about new Amish communities.  This book centers around The Big Valley in Pennsylvania. It is inhabited by three distinct districts.  Each district can be distinguished by their buggy tops.  Some are more conservative than others.  I love reading about their different customs.  They often find it hard to change districts and styles in their culture.

The first story is about Deanna.  Widowed early and with a special needs child, Deanna realizes that she can love again.  However, after a tragic accident, will her second chance slip away?

Our next story finds Rose Mary torn between her family and her love.  Will she find a common ground?

Finally Leila, an insecure young woman, finds herself caught between two worlds.  Will she be able to leave her community to find love in another?

Each of these stories is bring love and faith to the forefront to solve their problems.  Will each woman be able to overcome in order to move forward?

I received a copy through Netgalley.  A review was not required.