Cameo Courtships

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Aug 2019

“I know the cameo did not bring me love, of course. But the gift of it coincided with the arrival of love, both for the queen and for me, and I hope it will bring the same to you.”

From 1851 to 1898 stories of a loving family that weave together smooth as silk. Tied together by a cameo given to just the right woman at just then right time. Diverse stories, all very interesting and spellbinding in their own way. With Christian lessons throughout. Wonderfully written. Great entertainment to get lost in. One of those really good books to curl up with, that doesn't go by too fast and each folds into the next even though they are all so different.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher and NetGalley book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
#NetGalley  #CameoCourtships
I thought that this collection of stories was excellent! Such a fun variety, all centered around a cameo that was given to a young woman by Queen Victoria.
Cameo Courtships traces the journey of a cameo heirloom through four generations.  It is gifted by Queen Victoria to  Letitia Mewton who is considered an old man. However, after sporting it, she meets the perfect gentleman. Subsequently, it is passed down to the women in Letitia; s family with the hope that they will find love and adventure.

The four authors tried their best to illustrate four strong-willed women who though wanted to experience life with a  big spoon, still longed for love and romance. Moreso  at a time when some opportunities were limited to ypug women in American society

Admittedly, my favourite story was the Debra Marvin''s Lending My Heart that features the arrival of Russell Smart, the new administrator at the Carnegie Library's children's department. This ruins Ms Bertie Hart's chances of running the department, I was delighted by the scene where some of the kids met Mr Andrew Carnegie...

Like every good novella collection, Cameo Courtships is best savoured a story at a time.
This book includes a variety of stories, with a common theme. Each has its own strengths and plot, but are connected through the idea of the cameo. Readers who enjoy historical novels with a common theme and faithful women as main characters will enjoy this book.

I received this book from the publisher and from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own.
I received an ARC of this book from Barbour Publishing, Inc. via NetGalley, this review is my personal opinion.

Beautiful collection, well written and all do each writer has a distinct writing style there is a cohesive theme on the value behind the cameo and what does represent. Strong women that take chances, family center and a lot of history, this a wonderful choice for anyone that likes romance in unexpected places and lovely end
The introduction story of this amazing story collection was so fascinating. I loved that that Letitia met Queen Victoria, in all honesty I was a little jealous. Queen Victoria is my favorite queen and meeting her would have been amazing. Letitia trusted God with matching her with a husband and she was going to wait on the right man, and boy was it worth it.

Pinned Above Her Heart -

I liked how spunky Clara was but at the same time was still very much a lady and sought God in everything. Clara wanted to make the right decision in everything even at the risk of her family name being brought down by scandal. Clara definitely had a beautiful and compassionate heart. Byron was a gentleman in every way, even if he didn't hold the title. He realized he had drifted away from God and made changes to bring himself back to God. He wanted his siblings to have every opportunity and realized that he could still love them even at the risk of loosing them. I loved Byron & Clara's story, I didn't want it to end. I wanted to watch them in their married life.

Taming Petra -

Apparently spunkiness runs in this family! Petra I think might be the most spunky of them all. Petra went west for adventure and found it. She used the skills her father had taught her and made a life. Although she was worried how her family would react to her way of living. Petra never quit doing what was right. Even when faced with an absolutely impossible decision she choose to do the right thing. Dustin was a true man of God. He never doubted God's forgiveness and protection. Dustin grew up with a hard life but found God and changed immediately. I loved how much Dustin loved Petra and wanted to protect her. I didn't want the story to end I wanted to see so much more!

Meet Me at the Fair -

Oh my goodness! The ladies in this family make me smile, laugh and shake my head at all their spunk! Just when I think I have met the spunkiest of them I met a new one. Elizabeth is just so full of sass. I love how she can blend into which ever part of society she wants. She is a very skilled detective. Ethan is an amazing detective and gentleman. He rose above what his father & brother had done and choose to do the right thing. Ethan and Elizabeth make great team and work flawlessly together. I loved watching them get to know each other since they were perfect!

Lending My Heart -

Well the spunkiness has lived for another generation! Bertie is full of it. I was blown away by her spunkiness from the beginning. She has such a big heart! It is nothing short of amazing how she cares for those around her especially children. She has a heart for books and for learning. Russell is a gentleman no matter is rank of birth. He learns a lot about not letting his past define who he is. I really loved the story of Russell and Bertie.

This collection of stories is nothing short of amazing! YOU MUST READ IT!!!! I got wrapped up in each one and as a whole as well.

"I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."
Unique women are gifted a special cameo given to an ancestor by Queen Victoria. You will enjoy these four women who receive the cameo and their adventures written by different authors. These adventures will take you to the frontier, Carnegie Library, the 1884 World's Fair and Cotton Exposition and Pittsburgh. You will meet an aspiring journalist, a frontierswoman, a Pinkerton agent and a library administrator. My favorite was TAMING PETRA by Jennifer Uhlarik, the story of a former society young lady who is now known as Buckskin Pete rather than Petra Hollingsworth! I received a complimentary e-book of Cameo Courtships from NetGalley. This is my honest opinion.
What a great collection of stories! Each one was fun, sweet and a joy to read. Somehow the authors all managed to keep similar themes and feels throughout their different stories. It was almost like it was written by only one author. The transitions between stories were seamless, and they all felt like they belonged together.

I enjoyed the Cameo part in each story more than I thought I would. I'd never really given them much thought before, but now I kind of wish I had my own! What an interesting way to bring characters and stories together. I'm always looking for the next "different" thing, and these authors stepped up to the plate in that aspect.

If you're looking for some quick novellas that will encourage your heart, I recommend getting a copy of this book! I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was not required to write a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
What a delightful collection of novellas by talented authors and a unique story line that revolves around a family heirloom given to the family by Queen Victoria that is passed along to the right woman as she is spreading her wings. I thoroughly enjoyed each novella and I look forward to reading more stories by these skilled authors!
So far I’ve only had the privilege of reading the first book of the novella collection. My plan is to review as I go.
Susanne Dietze did not disappoint with her novella contribution. Clara wants to be a journalist. Byron wants to advance her journalist career for his family. They both choose the same story to work on. They were friends growing up, but circumstances tore them apart. It’s a story of restoration on many levels and the cameo is a part of that. It’s a sweet interesting story, and there is a little mystery involved as well! I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All views stated here are my own.
I love when I can read a book where it features different authors that come together to write a collection. Each story is so unique, but is tied together by a central theme.In this case it is a Cameo that is passed down. Each story is so well written, easy to read, has unique characters, and flowing storylines. Each of these authors have created such wonderful stories. Each has done careful research to make sure their time period is accurate as possible. I am a huge fan of all the authors -and will try and read each of their new releases. I do not have a favorite out of the collection, I love them all so much.

I received a copy of this book through JustRead blogging program, all thoughts are my own.
A wonderful collection of authors come together to write about one family and a unique statement piece in Cameo Courtships.  Cameo Courtships follows the path of a cameo given from Queen Victoria to a young woman from America.  As the cameo ventures down through the family, it brings love along with it.  As well as a few mysteries of course.

I enjoyed all four of the stories and was already familiar with two of the authors.  Now I’m going to have to do a search for the other authors to see what else they may have written that I’ll find wonderful.

My favorite story would probably be the one focused on either Pete or the Pinkertons.  Both were hilarious.  Of course, I enjoyed all four of the stories.  Petra aka Pete just happened to really make me laugh.  Who wouldn’t love seeing a rough and tumble lady in the west after she leaves the polished wealthy life behind?

I definitely held my breath every time the cameo went missing.  Who could lose such a priceless possession?  Although, if it had been mine I probably would never have even worn it.  But then again what is something like that worth besides the sentimental value?

Clara and Byron were meant to be.  Just meant to be.  I loved listening to their sparring together.  And of course, I loved the descriptions of the characters.  I’m so glad that Clara’s brother was alright in the end.

Something I do wish is that there was some kind of a chart so that I could know exactly who each character was in relation to each other.  It was fairly simple to see who Letitia was, and then from her, Clara is her niece, again simple.  Petra is Clara’s daughter.  But I had more trouble with Elizabeth and knowing where she fits in. She’s not in the direct line so it’s a bit confusing to me.

Bertie as well gave me difficulty.  I couldn’t place where she came into the storyline.  Still, a wonderful story and I lost myself in it not wanting to come up for air or rather to feed the kids or go to bed.  Loved the Scottish influence and the generosity to the poor fatherless boys.  Now I also want to delve more into the Carnegie Library.

Highly recommend this book and anything by any of these authors.  I’d love to see another compilation like this again.

I have voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from JustRead Publicity Tours. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.  I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated in any other way.  All opinions expressed are my own.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC regulations.
I really enjoyed this collection of stories.

Each story focuses on a cameo with a rather special history. From Pittsburgh to the Colorado Territory to the 1885 World’s Fair in New Orleans and back to Pittsburgh again, the cameo travels, creating love, romance and adventure.

A gift from Queen Victoria, the cameo is special and each bearer finds the love soon after receiving it. Beginning with Letitia Newton the cameo is passed on to the next, following much prayer and contemplation.

While each story is a sweet love story, each of them also entails lots of adventure and even some mystery. Humor that made me chuckle. It was fun to see who and wear the cameo would go, and just what awaited the lucky recipient.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book; in fact, I checked to see if there were more to come like this...there are!

Highly recommend.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via Just Read Tours and am not required to write a positive review. All thoughts and opinions therein are solely my own, and freely given.
I enjoyed these stories a lot as they were all interesting, with something always going on!  There was a lot of action, some romance, all with elements of faith as they forgive and open their hearts to love, both God's and human's.  I mostly liked the characters; the women were strong and stubborn and the men tried to keep up with them, which was amusing.  One character made me shake my head over some of her choices and sometimes there was a little bit of confusion for me with the plots but mostly I looked forward to seeing what would happen next and enjoyed watching the characters fall in love.  I liked how the stories were connected by the cameo and the characters were related to each other and there was a fun epilogue tying them all together.  I also liked a section Y'Barbo put in with interesting facts she found out as she researched her story.  Only one author was familiar to me but I'll definitely be reading more by all of them.  I recommend this book if you like historical romances.

I received this book from JustRead Tours.  I was not compensated for this review.  All opinions are my own.
Cameo Courtships
4 Stories of Women Whose Lives Are Touched by a Legendary Gift

by Susanne Dietze, Debra E Marvin, Jennifer Uhlarik, Kathleen Y’Barbo

Barbour Publishing, Inc.

Barbour Books

Christian , Romance

Pub Date 01 Jun 2019

I am reviewing a copy of Cameo Courtships and Netgalley:

In Pinned Above Her Heart by Susanne Dietze in 1851 in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, after receiving the Victorian Cameo, aspiring journalist Clara Newton works to expose a smuggler, but reporter Byron Breaux must break the story first or loose his Job. Working together is out of the question at first until they learn secrets that threaten both Ckara’s Father and her heart!

Taming Petra by Jennifer Uhlarik takes us to the Colorado Territory in 1875, the trouser wearing frontierswoman Petra Jayne Hollingsworth has no intention of wearing
the Heirloom Cameo, when a crooked brothel owner steals the treasure, securing its return becomes Petra’s number one priority. Reverend Dustin Owens who is assisting her, is appalled to learn the price of its ransom is that Petra must work in the brothel. He may save the woman’s virtue, but can he help Petra regain her cameo and rediscover her faith?

In Meet Me at the Fair by Kathleen Y’Barbo
We are taken back to the spring of 1885-and to the 1884 World’s Fair and Cotton Exposition in New Orleans.

It takes a Pinkerton to find a Pinkerton, that is why Ethan Butler has been put in charge of finding Elizabeth Newton. Just when he finds her the Cameo he must deliver is stolen.

It appears his previous case has discovered his presence in New Orleans, but he can’t return to that case until the cameo is found. With Miss Newton as a reluctant partner in crime fighting, can Ethan Butler locate the cameo and its thieves without losing his heart?

Lending My Heart by Debra E Marvin takes us to 1895 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania the arrival of a handsome Scottish administrator ruins Miss Brett’s Harte’s Dream to oversee the new children’s department of the Carnegie Library. But bristly Mr. Russel Smart’s working class determination as well as his love for books make him the perfect partner to help Pittsburgh’s poor, as for Partner’s in life that is far less likely.

The four novellas in Cameo Courtships tie together perfectly. I give Cameo Courtships five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
Compilations like Cameo Courtships are fun to read and a great way to pass a couple of relaxing hours in the summer. Passing down an heirloom cameo makes for a wonderful premise for these four historical romances.

All of the stories are enjoyable and show each author’s unique gifts but Pinned Above Her Heart stood out to me the most. It showcases Dietze’s sweet way of writing that always draws me deep into the story. The characters, plot, and setting are so interesting. I loved the faith elements too. This was my favorite in the collection.

I received a digital copy of this from NetGalley in conjunction with Just Read Publicity Tours. All opinions in this review are my own.
“And when it was given to me, I was told that one never owns a cameo. One wears and enjoys it, but one is its custodian, preserving and protecting it for those who come after.”

What a fun collection of novellas tied together by the theme of a cameo being passed down from one woman to another in the family!  All four stories are well-written and feature memorable characters that are quite unique from each other. If you enjoy historical romance, especially in a connected novella setting, you will thoroughly enjoy this collection.

The prologue shows how the cameo came to Pennsylvania from Queen Victoria and how the receiving of the cameo “coincided with the arrival of love” for both the Queen and Letitia who receives it from the Queen. Susanne Dietze expands the prologue in Pinned Above Her Heart where she introduces Letitia’s niece Clara from a well-to-do family and Byron the son of a woodworker who are both trying to make it in the world of journalism. Of course, their re-acquaintance occurs right after Clara receives the cameo from Letitia. There is intrigue and suspense as Clara and Byron play amateur detectives to get to the bottom of a series of crime committed in their town.

In Taking Petra, Jennifer Uhlarik brings together Clara and Byron’s daughter Petra and Dustin who is the new preacher in the small town of Colorado. The cameo arrives at Petra’s doorstep on her birthday while she’s hiding away from family to work in the west as a guide and tracker. Dustin has lived a hard life and is changing his future by taking this minister position in the thriving western town. Both get involved in helping the poor and downtrodden and rescuing those in need.

In Meet Me at the Fair, Kathleen Y’Barbo creates an interesting Pinkerton case involving Elizabeth, Clara’s niece and a Pinkerton agent, and Ethan, a fellow agent who has survived family’s shame and downfall in a money-laundering scandal. They follow their cases and clues from Chicago to Denver to New Orleans in an interesting plot filled with twists and turns. The cameo gets passed down to Elizabeth about one year after she accidentally meets Ethan and it also has a dual purpose in this story.

In Lending My Heart, Debra E Marvin brings in Bertie, Letitia’s great granddaughter, and Russell, an orphan and a ward of her aunt. Set in Pittsburgh while Bertie and Russell form an alliance to further the children’s library and education of the poor, Bertie is already engaged to someone else when the cameo gets passed on to her. Determined to make her mark in the world of children’s education, she works hard to overcome the barriers women face and Russell helps once he realizes her passion.

All four heroines come from quite wealthy families and the heroes do not. The heroines are also outspoken, unconventional, direct, and stubborn. It’s heartwarming to see that love can cross societal barriers and misunderstandings caused by their past experiences. And the epilogue ties in all the women’s journeys to offer a satisfying conclusion.

I received a copy of the book via JustRead Publicity Tours and was under no obligation to post a positive review. All comments and opinions are solely my own.
Story #1: “Pinned on Her Heart” by Susanne Dietze

“Pinned on Her Heart” is another sweet and well-written story by Susie Dietze. I found the plot engaging and the characters endearing. And I absolutely love the history behind the cameo and the specific directions for passing the precious keepsake on to the next deserving woman. I adore the story’s timely message that our journeys on this earth are all purposeful. My favorite moment is when Clara realizes that she is loved and supported by God while she journeys the path He has set her on. She finally understands that God does not make us and then leave us. God makes us all for His purpose. I love this message so much because it is easy to fall into the trap that our lives are meaningless. But God, if we choose Him with our whole hearts, will never forsake us because He loves us. This reminder alone makes “Pinned on Her Heart” a must-read novella!

Story #2: Taming Petra” by Jennifer Uhlarik

“Taming Petra” is an outstanding Western novella. I thoroughly enjoyed the highly-engaging plot and found the characters to be perfectly crafted. And, I love the reminder that our origins and pasts do not define who we are. We may all be cracked pots, but God has great use for us, flaws and all. Dusty, the handsome hero, fears that his grossly humble beginnings and past mistakes make him automatically unlovable. But through God’s purposes for him, and his awesome interactions with the sassy, kind, and beautiful Petra, Dusty realizes that he is exactly who God meant him to be, which is a perfectly good enough man deserving of love. Dusty’s story illustrates to the reader that in God’s eyes, we are indeed all good enough.

Story #3: “Meet Me at the Fair” by Kathleen Y’Barbo

What a fun story! And the characters … I love them so much. Elizabeth and Ethan, the heroine and hero, are two Pinkerton detectives. Both are highly capable, intelligent, and quick-witted. I enjoyed watching Elizabeth and Ethan work together on a case even as deep feelings grow between the two. In fact, the chemistry between Elizabeth and Ethan is the best part of this story. It begins in chapter one with a moment that left this reader a bit weak in the knees and builds beautifully and realistically throughout the narrative. “Meet Me at the Fair” may be one of the most satisfying novellas I’ve ever read!

Story #4: “Lending My Heart” by Debra E. Marvin

“Lending My Heart” is a very sweet story about two very stubborn characters. Bertie continually fights the rigid rules and expectations placed upon her by her extremely wealthy parents and her social caste. Russell refuses to step outside of his expected social status even though his heart is screaming at him to do so. This final story kept me turning page after page because I needed to get to their happily ever after. There were moments my heart worried these two stubborn characters might not get what they deserve — each other!

Overall, I highly recommend Cameo Courtships. It is a sweetly satisfying novella collection that has left this reader with a smile on her face. Purchase a copy for yourself today. You will not be disappointed that you did!

I received a copy of this novel in eBook form from the publisher, Barbour Publishing, via NetGalley in order to review. In no way has this influenced my review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.
Reading this book was a great way to spend the day. I very much recommend it!
I loved how the stories were connected through generations of one family and one special cameo. "This cameo comes with a story, adventures and even love...." As Queen Victoria said as she was pinning the cameo on Leticia. The love begins when Leticia meets Peter Hollingworth immediately afterward.
I really enjoyed all the mystery and adventure this collection provides. The romance felt very real in each novella. The epilogue was a really good wrap-up, with each of cameo's guardians making an appearance.
Very well written collection! I like the new format.