Cover Image: We Were Killers Once

We Were Killers Once

I don’t typically start a series in the middle, but the premise and tie to In Cold Blood lured me in. This was entertaining enough, but just not for me. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I read the first books in the series.

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Murder, arrest, conviction, execution, end of story... or not?

Book 4 in the Brigid Quinn series is a thriller you won't be able to put down. In summary, retired agent Quinn and her husband (and former priest and professor), Carlo are enjoying a new stage in life when a piece of the past puts them in the path of a killer. In 1959 a brutal, multiple homicide occurs in Kansas. Two individuals were convicted and executed for the crime, but we find out there is a 3rd killer, more murders, and a written confession tucked away in the box with contents of a priest's former life -- and the killer is out to destroy the letter and anyone in his way.

Thank you to NetGalley for a free e-copy of the novel in exchange for my honest review. Recommended for true crime lovers, thriller fanatics, detective / crime series enthusiasts.
Hate to read series books unless I'm in order but this one is enough to carry on its own without the others.  will make you want to follow series.
In 1959, a family of four were brutally murdered in Holcomb, Kansas. Perry Smith and Dick Hickok were convicted and executed for the crime, and the murders and their investigation and solution became the subject of Truman Capote's masterpiece, In Cold Blood. But what if there was a third killer, who remained unknown? What if there was another family, also murdered, who crossed paths with this band of killers, though their murder remains unsolved? And what if Dick Hickok left a written confession, explaining everything? Retired FBI agent Brigid Quinn and her husband Carlo, a former priest and university professor, are trying to enjoy each other in this new stage in their lives. But a memento from Carlo's days as a prison chaplain--a handwritten document hidden away undetected in a box of Carlo's old things--has become a target for a man on the run from his past. Jerry Beaufort has just been released from prison after decades behind bars, and though he'd like to get on with living the rest of his life, he knows that somewhere there is a written record of the time he spent with two killers in 1959. Following the path of this letter will bring Jerry into contact with the last person he'll see as a threat: Brigid Quinn.

My Review

This is book 4 in the Brigid Quinn Series. The detective novel "We Were Killers Once" was thoroughly enjoyable. The characters are well-crafted and having retired FBI agent Brigid return to solve a mystery is believable and well written.

This ARC was provided in exchange for my honest opinion. As far as detective type novels goes, this is on the top of my list. Definitely give this a 5 star.
Thank you for the opportunity to be an early reader. For some reason, I thought this book was more of a deeper dive/alternative IN COLD BLOOD type of story. Which it kind of is. I really struggled with my expectations versus the reality of the story. This is all on me. That being said, I didn't love the story, but I liked it.
We Were Killers Once by Becky Masterman is book 4 in the Brigid Quinn Series. This is the first book that I read in this series but I was absolutely blown away by the level of research done by the author, the clear sense of voice in which the story is told, and the author's mastery of the art of storytelling. This book will absorb you from page one, and it does not have to be read as part of the series. I loved this book and look forward to reading more from this author very soon. I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher with no obligations. These opinions are entirely my own.
I unfortunately did not enjoy this book very much. I had a hard time with the writing style and also didn’t realize it was the 4th book in a series before starting it. I didn’t feel connected to any of the characters, so I didn’t want to start the series from the beginning. I’m sure some people will really enjoy the story, however it just wasn’t for me.
This story started strong, but it didn't hold my interest as the book continued.  I don't have a desire to go back and read the earlier books in this series after reading this one.  I did like the character of Brigid Quinn and her personality.
Thank you to NetGalley for an Advanced Reader Copy of this book! It was definitely different from the other books I’ve read. I had to stay up some nights reading to find out more. The book took some turns that I did not see coming! In the end I’m happy I read it. I will be going back to read the other books by this author! Thank you again to NetGalley!!
This was a such an interesting story being fiction but based on a possible idea from a real life true crime situation. This was a violent story at the end, but I figured it would have to be to finish the story. Event though it was part of a series, you can read these stand alone. I have always been a Truman Capote fan, but knowing the In Cold Blood wrecked him, I went in to this one hesitantly. Overall it was a very good read and you can tell the author not only did research to write this she really thought through the process.
This is another book that I didn't realize was part of a series. Yet again I was not disappointed by this though. You are able to clearly follow the story line and characters without having to have read any of the previous books.

Sometimes the past comes back to haunt us. But what if it isn't your past that does the haunting? What if it's someone else who is haunted, but has been brought into your life by pure accident? This is the situation that Carlo and retired FBI Agent Brigid Quinn have to deal with when a mysterious man enters their lives.

This man seems to be exactly what he portrays, but Brigid can't help but trust her instincts that there is more to the story. A nagging feeling that eventually has people thinking she's obsessed over nothing. Obsessed over things that only she seems to see.

When her obsession starts to reveal the truth, what will it take to get those around her to finally believe what she's been saying all along.

An intense story that flips between the past and present day.
This book was okay. The narrative was a little slow for me but did catch up about halfway through.  I didnt read the first three books in this series which is evident that it would've benefitted however this book can be a standalone. it made me want to read the first three to get a better feel of the story and this authors work, which could also help me understand it better. This book read to be like a biography or documentary rather than a suspense novel, I guess itcouldve been a little more endearing however I did enjoy the story.
3.5 stars.  I really enjoy the character of Brigid Quinn.  She is funny, strong, and love her attitude. The premise for this one based off of a true story was really interesting.
Thank you to the author Becky Masterman, the publisher St. Martin's Press and to NetGalley for providing me an ARC in exchange for my candid review.

A very interesting retake on a murder case made famous by Truman Capote's book "In Cold Blood".  What if a third person had been involved?   This novel is a relentless, exciting retelling of the famous story replayed today.  It involves two already established characters, Brigid Quinn, a former FBI agent and her husband Carlo.  It is the 4th book in the series, but still exciting as a stand-alone.  I found the characters interesting enough that I will go back and read the first 3 books in the series.

It is a great true crime fiction book that will bring another generation into the fold of aficionados of Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood".
Bridge Quinn, retired from the FBI, but as is often the case, winds up back on a case. I really liked this character as well as her husband! Carlos is a former priest and professor.  It's also the first book in the series I have read. I was thrilled this book features an "older" couple. While I didn't feel that they were old, they are mature and interesting. Anyway, from Carlo's past, comes a message and suddenly a case with convicted murders might have missed a third killer. If a third killer was missed, is that person the one responsible for taking out another family?

I always like multiple points of view. This one has the killers, so they are very separated, but relevant. The twists were interesting enough and other than the book being slow to build up, I found it quite fascinating.

My copy came from Net Galley. My thoughts and opinions are my own. This review is left of my own free volition.
I really wanted to love We Were Killers Once.

I tried to go back to this book several times, and finally DNF’d it at 36%.

I think I could like this book at a different point in my life, but as of right now it just doesn’t hold me attention the way a good thriller should.

I enjoyed the concept of a man who feels wrong accused, and a little girl who gets too much information from her cop dad, and his friends.

I think I’ll request this book from the library at some point down the road and give it another shot.

If you’ve read it, what did you think? I wanna know if you think it’s worth diving into again!
Although I haven't read the previous books in the serious, I enjoyed the book.  The book overall has relatively slow pace with some build up of tension but did enjoy the bit of fact and fiction mixed together.  Thank you to Netgalley, Publisher and the author for an advanced copy of this book.
I have not heard great things about this book, so I'm DNF'ing this book. I'm also no longer interested in the content.
I could not get into this book. Did not like the author's style of writing. Others will probably enjoy it, but not me.
I hadn’t realized this was the 4th book in a series when I first started to read it, but found it to be perfectly ok as a stand-alone.  I was also unfamiliar with Capote’s In Cold Blood but again, that didn’t cause any issues.  I really liked both the storyline and the characters, especially the relationship Brigid has with Carlo and I truly liked her character.  I will definitely be looking to read the previous books in this series because I’ve clearly been missing out on a fantastic set of books!!