The Unhoneymooners

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 May 2019

Thank you @simonschusterca and @netgalley for the free ebook!
This book was so cute and the perfect summer read! I was so fully immersed in this book that I read it on the spin bike to get my mind off the fact that I was actually exercising!
The book follows Olive, who is perpetually unlucky. Her twin sister, Ami, has all the luck, and wins a number of different things for her wedding, including a free buffet dinner, in which everyone but Olive and the grooms brother, Ethan, get sick at! Because Ami won her honeymoon, she can’t get a refund, so Olive and Ethan go on the trip. Except that they hate each other! They have to brave each other’s company in order to enjoy their trip to Hawaii!
This book was super fast paced and drew you into the plot right away! The characters were also super relatable, and I thought Olive was super cute! The banter between Ethan and Olive was super believable and I really enjoyed getting to know these two! If you’re looking for a cute summer romance read, then I highly recommend you pick this one up!
I loved this book! It’s not often that you come across a story of twins where one is doing better than the other. A highly enjoyable read.
***I received an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Gallery Books and Christina Lauren.***

The Unhoneymooners is your classic enemies-to-lovers story unraveled by the wit, intelligence and imagination of Christina Lauren. In other words, it was perfection.

Olive, who is generally unlucky, is one of the few wedding guests who doesn’t come down with food poisoning at her sister’s wedding. It’s also the reason she finds herself taking an otherwise wasted, free honeymoon trip in her sister’s stead. She doesn’t expect the best man to also be on trip, thanks to her new brother-in-law. They decide they’re both adults who can put aside their mutual dislike for a stay in paradise. They only have to pretend to like one another when they take advantage of the amenities. At least until Olive runs into her new boss and the lie rolls off her lips. They more time they spend together, the harder it is to tell what is pretend and what is real.

I adored Olive and Ethan. They were both smart and a bit snarky but had really good hearts. The authors made sure you understood their situations, and for me that made me appreciate their strengths even more. The banter was wonderful, the sexual tension even more so, not to mention the swoon. The story was intelligent and very respectfully written. It was a perfect balance of humour and seriousness. It honestly left me feeling incredibly light glowing with happiness. How many stories can you say that about?
A fun and fast read, I am going to go search for more books by this author.

Olive is sent on her sisters honeymoon after food poisoning leaves the bride and groom (and most of the guests) unable to travel. Sadly, her honeymoon travel companion is her arch enemy - and now brother in law!

While the story line is pretty predictable, I love that it didn't follow the expected path to get there. The characters and dialog were highly entertaining, and there are a few real life plot twists that manage to keep it pretty real.
This was my first time reading a Christina Lauren novel and I loved it.
This is a great summer read that I couldn't put down, I finished it in two days.

The chemistry between Ethan and Olive is just great, they have their ups and downs but they are always honest with eachother.

I highly recommend this book to everyone.
Why did I wait so long to read my 1st ever Christina Lauren book when everyone around me has been raving for years?! Maybe because romcoms for me have recently been a hit and miss because their humour was usually at the expense of someone else (ie. body shaming, stalking, taking mental health too lightly etc.).

The Unhoneymooners was a breath of fresh air that left me laugh out loud several times and chuckle so often, my chair wobbled.

The story is one that's based on misunderstandings, and once they are resolved, tackle the issue of not believing a women when she's openly accusing a guy of being offensive to her and others.

For those of you who care, apart from the epilogue, the entire book is 1st point of view from the heroine only. Personally, I would have liked to get more insights from the hero - especially in the first 3/4 of the book. But overall it worked.

I wished the romantic scenes, when both hook up, would have actually been on the page, instead of being either simply cut short, skipped, or mentioned afterwards.

There was a great flow to the story, the secondary characters brought the entire book nicely together, and I'm off to decide now which book to dive in next by Christina Lauren.
I am so glad that thanks to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster Canada, I was able to dive in to the PERFECT summer read! The main character, Olive, is sweet, loveable and perfectly imperfect. Her arch enemy Ethan will be your next crush! I read the majority of this book when I was gone camping, and the summer vibes (set in Maui of all dreamy places!) shine through with this one. I found the character development of Olive and Ethan to be adorable and funny, and elements of this book were both serious and light hearted. This book was such an easy read and exactly what I needed to get me through a summer reading slump! Can't wait to read more books by Christina Lauren as her writing style is so modern and fun!
This was my first book by the duo, and after seeing so much love for these authors I was excited to get lost in one of their books!
I have to say, I really enjoyed this book, but didn't fall in complete love like I wanted. Loved the synopsis of the story and the banter between Olive and Ethan is definitly hilarious. I really enjoyed their quick whit and snarky comments they had for each other. I do wish their enemies to lovers relationship had a little more, I don't know, UMPH, to it. I felt her reasons for disliking him were a little weak, and I didn't really get that angsty, love the tension build up you often get from the trope. I also found Olive to be a little "oh woah is me", always thinking bad luck followed her around, when really she just needed to pull her big girl panties up, take some responsibility and stop being so judgy. Finally, I was REALLY disappointed in the fade to black love scenes. I felt Ethan and Olive's connection was very flimsy to begin with, so some steam would have played to their advantage.

I did enjoy Olive more towards the end of the book, and her and Ethan together were really adorable. Like I said, the whitty come backs and the banter truly made up for the lack of "hate" in the book, and I found myself laughing out loud in some parts which is always a win in my books! Over all, while I didn't LOVE it, i enjoyed it alot and will definitely give the other books by Chrisina Lauren a try! If the banter and comedy are as good as they are in this book, then I'm here for it!
Absolutely fantastic 5-star book. I literally laughed out loud and read this book in one day. In the beginning, it took me a bit to get into the characters however as the story progressed I began to enjoy the character as they grew and developed in the book. Christina Lauren novels are an automatic purchase for me and cannot wait for their next book to be released. Well done!!!
I love that every year now, we can look forward to at least a new CLo release. I love CLo so much because in a way, their books is what got me into reading romance books. This book sounded so interesting because it follows Ethan and Olive, two frenemies who are forced to take a honeymoon/trip together. Olive and Ami are identical twins, except Ami has always been the 'lucky' one, and Olive the unlucky one. Because of Ami's luck, she loves entering contests and sweepstakes. She ends up winning her entire wedding, but the seafood buffet ends up making her, her new husband, and most of the attendees incredibly sick. Except for Olive and Ethan, who is her husband Dane's brother. Because she doesn't want the trip to go to waste, she gives the trip to Olive and Ethan. They have shared a mutual dislike for one another (or so it seems), and they both figured they would have to only tolerate each other for two weeks while they get a chance of an awesome vacation in Maui. Upon departure, Olive also lands a job she has wanted for a while. It appears that with the seafood wedding fiasco, Olive's luck has finally turned around. She also realizes on this trip that Ethan isn't so bad, and begins to see him through different lenses. I kind of loved their little arguing ways, and how they would always call each other by the wrong names. I loved seeing them come together and really grow. Things do get complicated once they return, and both are faced with doing what is best for their own sibling. I liked seeing how their "holiday" life transformed into "everyday" life once they returned. It's another great CLo book with great banter, lots of LOL moments, and super sweet grand gesture moments. I do wish it was a bit sexier in terms of what CLo books used to be, but I think fans of CLo will still enjoy this standalone!
This book was a ton of fun to read! I mean, all the stories that Olive had chronicling her bad luck, to her fiery relationship and banter with Ethan. It was such a great quick read, and so hilarious, too! Christina Lauren never fails to delight in their contemporary books! (I think The House is a dark book, though I haven't read it yet, though hopefully soon!)

The idea of running into your new boss and his wife on a vacation where you're lying, and then have to lie to them is pretty hilarious. Then when they leave, you run into your companion's ex, well, you can kinda see where Olive thinks that she has bad luck! But it was so fun to read!

I really enjoyed Olive and Ethan. Their siblings married each other, so they can't really get away from one another. And while there was initial attraction, these two just didn't get along. There were a few misconceptions and misunderstandings, and so much banter! I really enjoyed reading their story!

This is a rom com, there's a comedy of errors, and there's personal drama. There was one big one that kept popping up that in the beginning was, well, you didn't expect it but you weren't surprised that it was there. And boy did it cause a lot of drama, not just with Olive and Ethan, but the newlyweds as well!

Loved reading this book, it was just so fun and great, just as you'd expect from Christina Lauren!
Thank you Netgalley and Simon Schuster Canada for my advanced copy of this book!!

I have read every Christina Lauren book and had high expectations of this one...it did not disappoint!!! It was fun, lighthearted, and just an overall feel good novel.

I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a cute, happy read!!
3.5 stars (rounded up)

This read very much like a chick flick, which is a guilty pleasure of mine.

It was a fast, cute and funny rom-com.  One that is perfect for the beach or poolside.
This book made me laugh!  I don't remember the last time I enjoyed a book that was just fun.  It was just what I needed during this busy spring.  It also makes me want to go to Maui even more!

Olive is the bridesmaid at her twin sister's wedding.  She's squeezed into the ugliest dress ever and she has to talk to the groom's brother, Ethan.  Ethan has been a jerk since the first moment they met.  The only thing they have in common is they won't be eating off the buffet at the wedding.  When a series of events leads to a disaster wedding the bride and groom ask their siblings to take their place in Maui on their honeymoon.

10 days in Maui.  Two people that hate each other.  What could possibly happen?  Also, what are the chances of running into anyone they know?

The Unhoneymooners is a fun, hilarious read.  It's also quite sexy!!  You can purchase The Unhoneymooners at Chapters in paperback or audio book.
This is my first Christina Lauren book and I have heard so many good things about the duo that I am so glad I finally got to read a book by them. This did not disappoint!

Christina Lauren tell a story that is equally hilarious and also heartfelt. I fell hard for our main character, the unlucky Olive, she was so funny and the references to a certain book series I love (HP, of course) didn't help how instantly connected to her I felt.
The enemies to lovers trope is by far my favourite thing in the whole world and this was so great. A very light fluffy read that I just about devoured in one sitting. I could not put this down!  I was glad that they took time to develop the romance as well, that part seemed very real.
The last part of the book was a different tone than the rest of the novel, but it was executed so well that I felt I enjoyed it even more as a result of the way it was written and how things were handled.

There were so many little things that were sprinkled through the story that made me love the characters more and more, it is definitely a must-read!

There were some circumstances that were definitely outlandish and not one hundred percent believable but boy were they ever fun!

Thank You so much to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for providing this  eARC to me in exhchange for an honest review
With summer quickly approaching, I'm really into fun, lighter reads these days, and I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with anything by Christina Lauren. From the cover and the title (I find it really clever!) to the premise, I was hooked right from the beginning. The Unhoneymooners just came out on May 14, and if you're looking for that summer read that will hook you right from the beginning, and give you an array of emotions to play with, look no further.

Synopsis
Olive is always unlucky: in her career, in love, in…well, everything. Her identical twin sister Ami, on the other hand, is probably the luckiest person in the world. Her meet-cute with her fiancé is something out of a romantic comedy (gag) and she’s managed to finance her entire wedding by winning a series of Internet contests (double gag). Worst of all, she’s forcing Olive to spend the day with her sworn enemy, Ethan, who just happens to be the best man.

Olive braces herself to get through 24 hours of wedding hell before she can return to her comfortable, unlucky life. But when the entire wedding party gets food poisoning from eating bad shellfish, the only people who aren’t affected are Olive and Ethan. And now there’s an all-expenses-paid honeymoon in Hawaii up for grabs.

Putting their mutual hatred aside for the sake of a free vacation, Olive and Ethan head for paradise, determined to avoid each other at all costs. But when Olive runs into her future boss, the little white lie she tells him is suddenly at risk to become a whole lot bigger. She and Ethan now have to pretend to be loving newlyweds, and her luck seems worse than ever. But the weird thing is that she doesn’t mind playing pretend. In fact, she feels kind of... lucky.

My musings
This was the perfect book to read in the middle of a crazy week at work. I love the enemies-to-lovers trope (especially when there's witty, intelligent banter to go with it), and I enjoyed that the reason they didn't get along at the beginning of their relationship was properly explained and believable.

I wish we got a little bit of Ethan's perspective, just because I would love to see what he thought of Olive's (sometimes too) negative outlook on life. I would also have liked to see how he described her, physically, because she was really self-deprecating (which I understand, trust me), and I would have liked to know, selfishly, whether she was an actual curvy girl or whether she had just put on some weight because she was unemployed and stress eating.

Olive and Ami's family was hilarious to have pop in every once in a while. I don't have a giant, close family like theirs, but I pictured it perfectly and was kind of envious!

My only critique would be of Dane. I know we weren't supposed to like him, being the antagonist and all, but the way he was portrayed and described really made me wonder how Ami didn't see it coming and why anyone liked him to begin with. I wish we got a better look at him without Olive's bias, just for observation purposes.

If you love Christina Lauren, you'll love this one, too. It's a great summer read!

4.5 STARS

This review will appear on my blog, The Modest Reader, on June 10 at 7 am at https://themodestreader.com/2019/06/10/the-unhoneymooners
“Do you think this feels so easy because we hated each other first?”

Wanna know something else that feels easy? Reading The Unhoneymooners. What a completely breezy pleasure it was. This was my first read by the dynamic writing duo . Sign me up for all the rest.

Bad luck has seemed to find Olive Torres her whole life. That is until her sister Amelia’s wedding, when everyone - literally EVERYONE - except Olive and Ethan Thomas, the groom’s brother, succumbs to horrible food poisoning at the buffet. Amelia insists that Olive takes her place on her Hawaiian honeymoon, but the only hitch is that Olive’s companion on the vacation will be Ethan, and these two cannot stand each other. Is this an unconventional way to happily-ever-after?

Read this book if:

- your favourite kind of love story is the hate-to-love variety
- you enjoy clever dialogue and characters who don’t feel like cut outs
- you’re after a sweet and believable extended-family dynamic in the supporting cast
- rom-com tropes with a few heartwarming Hawaiian twists sounds perfect to you
- you’re curious about picking up a romance novel but you’re hesitant because you’re not interested in something crazy steamy. In terms of heat level, I’d put this one at 2 out of 5 (having only ever read 3 romance novels mind you so that’s my frame of reference…).

I doubt you’ll find a better book for light vacation reading this summer, or anytime lift-your-spirits reading for that matter. Thank you to @simonschusterca and @netgalley for the review copy of this fun read.
Thank you Netgalley, Simon & Schuster Canada and Christina Lauren.
What a wonderful feel good love story.  I found myself giggling quite a few times while reading this book.
Adorable characters, loved the setting and the fake honeymoon where two enemies become friends and much more.
Well written, could not put this book down and did not want the story to end.
Highly recommend 5 stars.
I loved this book! I was so pleasantly surprised to find this book had everything: humour, romance and heartfelt emotion. The classic enemies to lovers trope worked extremely well in this book. The setting makes this the perfect summer beach read. The writing was conversational and real so it felt like a good friend telling you their story. I look forward to reading my next Christina Lauren book. I’m a fan now!
Review to be post on Blog and social media May 30, 2019

Book Review: The Unhoneymooners: Spoilers

Author: Christina Lauren
Rating: 5/5
Format: E book
How I got it: NetGalley
Genre: Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Would I recommend: Yes 100%, I love love love this book

Overview: This book was amazing, I loved every bit of it. Ami is the luckiest girl around, always winning contests and giveaways, including the dream honeymooner for her and her soon to be husband. But this story isn't about Ami, it's about he terminally unlucky twin sister who has just been fired from her job and convinced to take her sisters honeymoon when all hell breaks loose in the form of seafood.

I think this is my favorite contemporary of the year thus far. I kinda wish we had Ethan's perspective sprinkled throughout Olives

Likes

I'm not sure why, but I really enjoyed seeing Ethan vulnerable at the beginning of the story, it kind of pulled everything together for Olive when everything is revealed about Dane.
I was really glad this didn't go from hate to insta love, I felt like there was a slower burn. But I was so happy with Olive and Ethan, and how everything played out.
I love how Olive and Ethan banter back and forth, never using the others real name. Just so use to arguing rather an having a normal conversation. I noticed their banter would make me laugh to myself.
I found this book amusing, it was funny when Olive and Ethan were learning to massage and she asks he he's nervous he'd get a boner while on the table. Also when Ethan makes his big gesture to win Olive  back he's wearing the skittle fabric from the wedding.
This was my first Christina Lauren book and I could not put it down, if her other books are anything like this one, I think I may have just added to my list of favorite authors.

Dislikes

I noticed some spelling errors in the E book.
I did not like Dane, the cheating scumbag. Nor was I a fan that no one believed Olive, I get Ethan not believing because it's his brother but her own sister not believing.
I wasn't a fan of Olive always thinking the worst about everything.
" I don't think we should get married. Sorry" Sophie
There was a bit of a repetitive feeling occasionally

She Marie :)