Dark Illusion

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Oct 2019

Dark Illusion is the newest installment in the Carpathian series or also known as the “Dark” series, and I truly had such a fun time with this book. Its a crossover of a paranormal and romantic suspense like many of her books. With each installment in this series the more I have learned to adore. The world building that Feehan has done is one the BEST ever created and I truly love the development in the more recent books and after reading this one I really really NEED the next book because oh my I know its going to tear me to shreds but I am ready.

So this story begins with our heroine who is traveling the Sierra Mountain range in search of a evil book —the book that Xavier created that could only bring about more evil works of his relations. Relations that our heroine, Julija is connected to. She is hunting it to make sure it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands but along her search she finds herself being the lifemate to a very ancient Carpathian. Their first interactions are very tense and some distrust and emotional damage is formed, but when they join forces to bring down their enemy, their relationship is mended and the lifemate bond is cemented.

Isai Florea has been living in a monastery with his other Carpathian brethren for many years and is one of the oldest of his kind. When he finds his lifemate and the danger she is put in, all other concerns are put in the backseat and even though his instincts are telling him to protect her he also realizes how powerful she is and that she is the key to bringing down the evil members of her family who have used, abused her in the worst of ways. Together they form a bond so powerful and so intimate nothing evil will stand….

This was truly a fabulous story here and I am in love with this. now I will admit the beginning of the book began very angsty and I wasn’t really on board, in fact I almost wanted to put it down. Almost had a bodice ripper theme to it but I did become won over and they do get the issue resolved pretty quickly here. Now its important to understand the HERO is very alpha, one of the stronger alpha’s I have seen from this author so I di let some of what he did go because he is SUPER old so I get it but at the same time it did rub me the wrong way at times. So just fair warning to keep that in mind when you start reading this one.

I did feel like this book was truly emotional and life changing in many ways here. There was so much emotional dynamics that it will really tear at your emotions at times. What they both go through but most especially what our heroine really has dealt with in her young life is very heart breaking. But you see her true strength at the core and how determined she is to make she they don’t win because they are truly evil. We see the level of intimacy that develops between our pair here and probably one of my favorites to be honest. These moments that form between them from their support of each other, playing and teasing each other and the sexual chemistry that is fiery hot that will send all the tingles down the spine is truly elemental to the story.

Overall I found Dark Illusion to be a on the edge of your seat story that will delight, enlighten, and create emotional reactions to adore in every sense!!
Dark Illusion is the next installment of the Carpathians.  Ancient hunter Isai finds his lifemate in Julija but can a Carpathian and a mage be together.  Feehan keeps adding more and more depth to these ancient hunters and finding their lifemates.  Excellent book for anyone who has enjoyed the others in this series
Ms. Feehan keeps building this world! There is not one book in this series I would not recommend.! The carpathian battle with the mages, the surprise keeps coming. I cannot wait until the next chapter in the series, the anticipation is killing me!
Christine Feehan is a master of romantic paranormal novels. Readers can pick up any one of her books and get lost in the amazing storylines and character development. Dark Illusion is another hit for Feehan as the reader delves back into the Carpathian world and into Julija’s story. Like her other Carpathian novels, this story has all of the wonderful magic, character development, love, danger, and plot twists that make up a great Feehan novel.
I have read all of Christine Feehan's Dark series and I usually love them. That was not the case with this one. It just fell flat for me. I could not get a good feel for the characters and it could not keep my attention. I kept feeling like I was missing part of the story. So much so I looked to see if I had missed a previous book.

I recieved this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
We have had the story of the Carpathian with wolves riding her skin, and now we have shadow cats.  While the complex characters were the center of the story, it was the shadow cats that really stole the show.  I simply could not put this story down, wondering where the author was going to go next with these cats.  I loved how they bound themselves to the heroine's new beau with surprising ease.  It kept our heroine on her toes and kept our hero on the chase.  Wonderful story with interesting storyline.  Very hard to go wrong with a Feehan novel.
I was a little wary going into this book. I took a break from the Dark series for a while when things got weird with mages. The spells and magic and million rules really bog a story down for me. But I've loved the last few books in the series so I decided to have faith. Unfortunately, I just didn't click with this book.

Isai is an ancient Carpathian who has been living with his brethren in a monastery until recently. He finds Julija, a mage looking to warn the king of the Carpathians about a plot to kill him, and realizes she is his lifemate. They team up to destroy a dark mage book.

First of all, this book is dark. And ok, yes, this is the Dark series, and CF has never shied away from going there with the violence, but some of the things that have happened to Julija were very hard to read. It made the way Isai acted at the beginning of the book even worse for me.

Now listen, I have read almost every single book Ms. Feehan has ever written, so I am no stranger to her uber-alpha heroes but Isai was mean at the beginning of the story and I was not here for it. Our first real introduction to him, he berates the heroine without any knowledge of her or her background. It completely turned me off from his character and I never really got to a good place after that.

I mentioned the spells earlier but I think it bears repeating. There are WAY too many spells. I skipped over almost every single one when I realized they were weird and childish nursery rhymes and missed absolutely nothing. The whole Dragonseeker aspect of this series has never interested me and, although I tried to really invest in this story, that same fact held true in this book. Most of the story I felt like I was slogging through way too many repetitive and convoluted details. I almost DNF'd this book around 72% in but I kept reading for the series arc.

Overall, as a huge Feehan fan it pains me to write this review, but I am sure the next book will be stellar! Her recent releases, for the most part, have been excellent. I am dying for Elizabeta's book. I really hope she's next!

**I received an ARC of this book in order to provide an honest review**

+REVIEW LINKS WILL BE ADDED CLOSER TO RELEASE DATE+
This book offered an interesting expansion of the reader's view of the mages and their history in the Carpathian world.  Ms. Feehan has built an amazingly complex world, and I am always in awe of her ability to keep it consistent within itself amidst so many books and characters.  I love the stories and the characters, and the way each book tells a piece of the whole story of the 4 magical races and their fight for survival.  I do have to say that I have started to skim some of the repetitive description, although to be fair, that might be a factor of having read all of the previous books.
I usually enjoy books in this series but for some reason I just couldn't get into this one. Isai and Julija are lifemates and when they first meet it doesn't go well. Isai is from an era in which men told their women what to do and Julija is not inclined to put up with that. They spend a majority of time talking with each other with intermittent bouts of intense fighting against her evil family members. Not my favorite book in this series.
I was so intrigued by this story based on the cover, but it was a total slog for me.  Maybe it is because I have not read any Christine Feehan books in awhile, but there was just so much talking.  I understand exposition is important, especially for backstory, but that seemed to be most of the story.  I get that Julija had a hard and depressing childhood, but she seemed very juvenile to the point of frustration at times.  Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I had recently read any of the previous books in the series, but ultimately it was a long, pretty depressing read despite its HEA.
Feehan once again delivers with the latest in the Dark Saga.  The addition of a new bad guy was welcomed, and should give more fodder for the next few installments.
A strong woman is trying to stay alive while keeping a dangerous spell book out of the wrong hands.  A great fantasy/romance.  I enjoyed the portrayal of a woman with doubts about her own strength and having people in her life that empower and encourage her to become who she was always meant to be.
Christine Feehan never seems to disappoint with het plots and her style of writing.
I liked this book for its magical and paranormal aspects. The plot keeps you engaged in reading and sometimes it makes you feel like you are sitting on edge of the seat.
It was enjoyable read that I can only recommend to all those who like paranormal romance with a twist.
I had been waiting for this book. The wait was definitely worth it. This next installment of the strong Carpathian men is sure to leave you wanting more or if you are like me, wanting to know where to get your own Carpathian lifemate. This story is one of my favorites. It is the story of Isai and Julija. I love how much of a spitfire she is, but also she is such a badass as we have come to know and love in Feehan's women. This is an amazing story, one of her best if not the best to date.
If you haven't been reading Feehan's Carpathian series this is not the book to start with. The beginning of this book was a rough read for me, the hero and heroine become intimate far too quickly, with no build to romance and attraction, and without even exchanging names. The overbearing "me man, you woman" attitude of the hero grates at first, but as the book goes on he "grows" and realizes that his outdated, sexist behavior is no longer de rigueur. The book settles down from that point on and will be a pleasing read for fans of the Carpathians, with a new type of heroine will skills we haven't seen before, and heavy foreshadowing into her next book in this series.
Each story is still unique, even after 28 previous stories!  Julija comes from a mage family with direct ties to the villainous triples of Xavier, Xayvion, and Xaviero.  She is the product of the son of Xavier and a kidnapped Carpathian girl named, Francesa, who was planned for in order to provide Carpathian blood to her family.  Brainwashed and brutalized her entire life, she is still able to break away from her family to warn the Carpathian people and do the right thing.  Her plans go array due to others interference and now she's running from her family, from the Carpathians, from Sergey and his vampires and still determined to do the right thing and find and destroy Xavier's evil book of spells.

Isai is on the trail of his blood brother, who took the book to protect it from getting stolen by a shadow cat.  On his hunt, he finds Julija instead.  His biases and her scars make for some firework level clashes as these two lifemates learn how to work together when they're coming from such contradicting life philosophies.

I thoroughly enjoyed the detail that showed more about their travels and search for safe places to bed down each day.  Plus, the addition of the shadow cats was super cool too.  A great addition to this series and while not a hard read, still a fun one!
Another great instalment in this long running series.
Excited to read Julija’s story after meeting her in Dark Legacy. Enjoyed her story and seeing her and Isai coming together, learning about each other and falling in love.
Love learning more about the Ancients and catching more glimpses of Elisabeta. I hope her story is up next.
This book is another in the Dark Series. It can be read as a standalone, but it helps to have the backstory contained in the previous novels. This is the story of Isai and Julija. Like all the Dark Series novels the males are over the top alphas, as are all Carpathian ancients. But Julija was raised in an abusive family who used her because she was part Carpathian as well as part mage, with a hint of Dragonseeker thrown in......got all that? Because of her early abuse she is not sure she can be what a dominating ancient needs in a lifemate, and neither does Isai. But Julija is on a quest to find a very dangerous book, and Isai is very instrumental in finding the location and destruction of said book. Can they work out their differences, find and destroy the book and find their happily ever after? You'll have to read the book to find out....
Christine Feehan is one of my favorite authors, I read all her series and have been known to squeal in delight when I see she is releasing another book. I can't wait for the next one!! Thanks Christine for all the great reading!!
Thank you also to the publisher and NetGalley for choosing to have me read this book early and give my opinion.
Another good Feehan read.  My only complaint is that I would have liked a bit more at the end.  The story ended too quickly.  But I have read all her books and enjoyed them all and this is no exception!  Bad thing now is I have to wait for the next one