Cover Image: Bad Axe County

Bad Axe County

Heidi White is a temporary sheriff in bad ax Wisconsin she is married to the teenage baseball star Harlem kick. Most of the people in her little town doesn’t want her to be shower going as far as the cold hard the Dairy Queen in writing negative things about her on social media. That isn’t her biggest problem though A girl named Pepper is missing, but there’s another girl who went missing years ago and someone keeps leaving clothes for her every time she turns around. That’s nothing compared to her parents murders which hold her head every turn. The snow storm in the area will put an escalation Mark on all of this but is she up for the test it will solving one murder solve them all? This book was so so good! I didn’t know I would love this book as much as I did. She is a bad ass cop with her own insecurities and tortured past but she powers through and gets the job done. If you love great female lead you will love this book I certainly did. I was given this book by Net Gally and I am leaving this review voluntarily. Please forgive any grammar or punctuation errors as I am blind and dictate my review but all opinions are definitely my own.
I'm about halfway through and stopped reading.   The writing is choppy, the characters are awful, half the time you don't even know who's talking or that the scene changed.   I don't usually give up on books that easily, but this one hasn't held my attention at all.
Thank you to NetGalley and Atria Books for an advance copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review.
My apologies for not getting to this book sooner!
I had no idea this book was going to be as good as it was!  I really enjoyed our MC Heidi Kick (formerly White) as she is assigned temporary Sheriff in a small town nearby her home town.  She has all of the typical trials and tribulations you can image a female officer would endure (x's 100) and meanwhile all the way in the back of her head is still the unsolved mystery of her parent's murder suicide 15 years before.
This was a secret digging mystery that kept my attention right from the start , with red herrings all around.
Highly recommended for any fan of crime mystery, especially those who prefer a bad a** female heroine.
Mehhhhhh not my favorite. It might just not be my genre. I think the writing was complex and complete, I just was not into the plot.
Nope, this one was a flop from me. I didn’t enjoy how the beginning started nor the ending. I also thought the story was a bit flat at times.
This was my first book to read by this author but I cannot wait to read more! The characters stay with you long after you finish the book. Such a great story and fast read. Highly recommend!!!
Typical storyline for the genre.  This should have a trigger warning for sex trafficking and gang rape with minors.  The story jumps back and forth, past to present, etc.  I'm not a fan of this writing style.  Overall, I think the story is plausible.  There are too many characters.  There is profanity.  I don't see this as a memorable read.

#netgalley
#BadAxeCounty
This was a wonderful novel. The few complaints I have are minor. The story really moved and the writing was crisp. Something I could really get behind.
Thanks to Netgalley for Bad Axe County by John Galligan. This first book in a series is a gritty, grim mystery that was sometimes a bit too noirish for me but I stuck with it to the end and it was a satisfying read. There are definitely some things that would be triggers for some people including multiple rapes and human trafficking. The ending wrapped it all up and good triumphed over evil for the most part. It’s a relief to know that Heidi Kick continues as sheriff.
While this book could be a little hard to follow, the plot was unique. I enjoy some cringe moments and this book delivered those. Overall, I enjoyed the book, I found myself rooting for the characters and I was intrigued for the ending. Took a little getting use to the writing and a little patience for the plot to build, but overall was a read I enjoyed.
This book is about a badass Sheriff who is also a woman (I live it), Sheriff Heidi kick. The author portraits her so amazingly. She is so strong. Despite the tragedy she faced, she still carried on and fought back.

I don't normally read Crime thriller, but ai was so invested in the book. It was gritty as heck. Sometimes It got uncomfortable but that didn't stop me or discouraged me from reading or even thinking about it much later. And in my dictionary, that counts as a good book.

So it was a solid 3.5 for me.

This is the first book that ai have read from the author and also this type of genre. And I will sure check out more of his books.

Also thank you NetGalley and Atria books for the copy
I am late in reading this but I just recently got it. Bad Axe County is the first book in a series with the same name. It revolves around Sheriff Heidi Kick and is written by John Galligan. This is a mystery in many levels as Heidi is searching for a missing girl and at the same time is trying to find out who murdered her parents. I am not sure I like this book but that's me. I found to much stuff that bothered me and I'm not sure I will read anymore of these. I still found it well written and I am a sucker for small town stories. I must thank @netgalley and @atriabooks for giving me this copy and #JohnGalligan for writing it.
I live in this area of Wisconsin, and I just couldn’t get past the cliches and caricatures portrayed in this book. It was exhausting. I stopped reading. #NetGalley
This is dark, and intense crime thriller. Interim Sheriff Heidi Kick, former "Dairy Queen" of small Wisconsin town is investigating missing girls and the truth behind her parent's death that was ruled as murder-suicide some 15 years ago when she was 17.  Heidi's husband, a local baseball legend also has a secret from twelve years before. There are other subplots and deranged characters that weave this novel into a gripping mystery. The pace is good and I like the fierce traits in Heidi.

This is my first book with a Wisconsin setting. I've been keeping track of the fifty states, a personal challenge. Never thought that Bad Axe County is my WI!

Thank you Atria Books and Netgalley for my digital copy.
I really got into this book big time!
Well written characters and a tightly packed narrative makes this a must read.
This is an intriguing read for all who like mysteries and thrillers!!!
This book has it all!
Thank You NetGalley Atria Books and Author for this ebook!
Book one in this gritty, atmospheric and dark crime thriller series. The book got me hooked from the beginning and the story is well plotted and perfectly paced. Heidi Kick is such a strong and interesting character that I really need more of. I will definitely read the other books in the series and I highly recommend this book.

Thanks to the author, Atria Books and NetGalley for this copy.
A horrific tragedy in her past led Heidi White down a path to law enforcement. Now Heidi Kick, wife of a local baseball legend and mother of three small children, is the interim sheriff in Bad Axe. Heidi faces stiff opposition, though she is not even sure herself if she wants to continue as the sheriff. When the secrets that some in the county want to remain hidden try to rear their ugly heads, will certain individuals stop at nothing to stay in the shadows?

I like the concept of this book, but I am less than thrilled with the actual novel. When it comes down to it, the major plot line is very similar to other books in the genre. The thing that makes Bad Axe County different is Heidi's tragedy and the mystery surrounding it. Unfortunately, the author spends too much time on the dairy queen aspect and Heidi's reputation than on the actual story itself. Overall, Bad Axe County is a good read, but there is not much here that differentiates it from other novels.

Disclaimer: I was given an Advanced Reader's Copy of Bad Axe County from NetGalley and the publisher. The decision to review this novel was entirely my own.
So this is book 1 of this series and I now need to read the next books!

The book is dark, gritty and just the kind of crime novel you can get lost in.

Fair warning: the book is not kind to any character, but the women seem to be treated especially badly.  The book isn't anti-women at all - in fact the women, ill-treated or not, are by far the strongest characters in the book.

It's an uncomfortable read, but it's one you can't look away from.

Time for the next book for me!
Coulees, Hollows, Cows, Sheep………this quiet farm country in Wisconsin isn’t so quiet. We are introduced to SO many characters in this book…… either all somehow related, or old classmates, or former boyfriends, or ex-teammates.  There’s not much to do in this town except get into trouble and there seems an endless supply of options.  Heidi, the unwanted interim sheriff and focus of the story, comes with her own baggage that haunts her and affects her work.  In spite of how many times I had to backtrack in the book to remember who was related to whom, I did enjoy all the undercurrents and backstories. As a reader, you know the “fictional" events in the story are probably more real than you would like to admit and makes for uncomfortable reading, which was probably the goal of the author.  Well done!
My first John Galligan book and surely not my last. This book is told from three points of view, Heidi the Dairy Queen turned sheriff, Angus the baseball star who got lost along the way, and Pepper the girl trying to find her way to her sister’s. . All three characters story interweaves into one of suspense and at times heartbreak. Heidis loss of her parents 20 years before runs her life, she’s the interim sheriff amid contempt and corruption from those to be trusted. Angus left town to pursue his baseball dreams only to come home and lay to rest the demons that drove him out of town. Pepper wants to get away from her life to find some normalcy. All three stories collide into one as Heidi starts piecing together what’s going on in the town wile finding her past. Thank you NetGalley for the chance to review this book. Anxiously waiting for the next trip to Bad Axe.