Plotting for Murder

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Mar 2019

This was a quick read. It held my interest and I would recommend it to others. I would read more by this author.
I enjoyed this book.  It's the first story in the Cozy Mystery Bookshop series.  It combines two of my favorite cozy themes, bookstores and cooking.  Sawyer Davis has returned to Sunset Cove to settle her mother's estate.  She discovers her mother has left her a bookstore, a new puppy and several potential boyfriends.   She also finds her uncle who is trying to claim her mother's prize asset.  When a man dies after eating Sawyer's mac and cheese, the local sheriff, an old boyfriend, tries to find the murderer instead of jumping to the conclusion that Sawyer did it.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Plotting for Murder is the first book in a new cozy bookshop mystery series by Tamra Baumann. Released 14th March 2019 it's 228 pages and available in ebook and paperback formats.

I'm a huge sucker for bookshop cozies. Bonus points for pets (cats or dogs, or in one notable example, a pet armadillo), baked goods, knitting, book clubs, and I don't mind the occasional obligatory hunky sheriff/detective love interest. This book ticked a lot of boxes for me. Underdog heroine lead character fighting against an unfair trust, (her uncle's a piece of poo), complicated history with the local hunky sheriff, an unexpected puppy (awww), and a few other appealing plot features which might be a little standard, but that's why we devour cozy mysteries.

This one is pretty well written, with good characterizations and pacing. The book's written in first person point of view which can be a little distracting, but it didn't detract from my overall enjoyment. There are a scant few places where the dialogue was a bit rough, but again, nothing that killed my suspension of disbelief or lessened my enjoyment.

The language is clean, the crimes are bloodless, and there's a romance subplot but nothing sexually graphic. There are some minor plot elements leading to the next book, but no major cliffhangers. It's a safe and fun read.

Three and a half stars.
Great first in series! I love the book shop setting and enjoyed getting to know the characters, except maybe the jerky uncle! This was a well planned mystery and I look forward to reading more in this series.
I really enjoyed reading this cozy mystery, vollying between who done it and cheering on Sawyer as she juggled all the things her mother left for her to deal with after her death. I look forward to the next installment.
A good quick easy to read cozy mystery.  Enjoyed the plot, setting and the author’s writing.  Look forward to reading more books in this series.
Another amazing cozy mystery! Sawyer fast became a new favorite character and the fact she has a whole Bookshop full of mystery novels is a dream come true for me! The characters and the snarky love/ hate relationship kept this book fast paced and hilarious. The antics of all the drama including a puppy that poor Sawyers mom left her with had me cracking up. This was a great story the mystery was good not the most original in the world but it didn’t matter the characters and the high jinks completely made up for it
Calling all cozy mystery fans! `I loved this book. What interesting characters set in an amazing town and of course, embroiled in a mystery! Add a dash of romance, and you have  a recipe for success! (see what I did there?) So, our heroine, Sawyer, is a chef who is propelled back to her home town when her Mom passes. Mom is actually a heroine too, as you can't help but love her. She has passed on but her character is so well written that you love her in absentia. They mystery itself is well written, and you are not sure who you can trust exactly. Well done! The romance is light and believable and not too much or too little. Fabulous! So, now I know who did it, but... I still want to know more! What happens next? I hope I don't have to wait too long to find out. Loved this book!!!!
I enjoyed this book and love that it centers around a Mystery Bookstore. It was hard for me to get into in the beginning because it is written in first person but as I got to know the characters and the story started getting good I had no problem enjoying the fun characters and setting. I look forward to future books I the series
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book.

OK, so I'm going to start by saying that if you pick this book up and the begiing hasn't changed, keep reading! I was really thrown off by the start, because I felt like the writing was poor and it kept distracting me. After a chapter or two it actually really improved, and I genuinely think the start was the only bad thing about this book; after a while the characters and the situation grows on you and I really liked the story! I can always do without a love triangle, but hopefully Sawyer makes a decision on that front and doesn't leave the reader's hanging for too long.

I always love books about books, and this was no exception. There are plenty of points of reference in this, but I feel like maybe the focus will move to food eventually if Sawyer opens her dream restaurant. The might mix the two themes though, we'll see!

So yeah, I felt like this was overall a fun and interesting mystery. Four stars.
This was a quirky story that made for a quick afternoon read.
The plot was interesting, the characters likable and the reveal surprising.
I look forward to reading more in this series.
This is a pleasant light story of a woman who inherits a bookstore/coffeeshop from her mother but its tied up in a trust controlled by her uncle. At the first book club meeting a young man dies, and the rest of the book is concerned with the investigation of his murder, along with some other interesting subplots.
Very likeable main character.  I really like the writing style of the author.  It keep a very good pace.  I'm very excited about this series and can't wait for the next to come out.  I'll definitely be telling others about this book.
Fun and fast paced, this book leaves the reader engaged throughout. With a chef, matching, food, books, and a puppy, how can you go wrong? This is definitely a book I would tell you to read twice, to make sure you don't miss one great moment of it.
It's been a while since I read a "cozy mystery" and now I remember why.  This book is simply written but I still find myself very confused.  It's the first book in a series but there are references to previous events that are like a 3rd or 4th installment.  Random introductions of characters, again with references as tho we should know them.
The mystery was rushed and really no surprise.    Not really a cliffhanger other than there are bits that need explaining. Lovers of cozy mysteries and small town drama will like.  It's the start to a promising series but I'm not sure I will read more.
How the heck do you write a book about an aspiring chef with no recipes?!?!? Heck just the quick brownies would have made me happy.
Plotting for murder is the first book of a new series by Tamra Baumann.
A new author for me , a brilliant read and I couldn’t put it down.
Sawyer comes  back to Sunset Cove, the town where Sawyer grew up  to live in her mother old house after her death also to keep her mothers book shop open .
Loved getting to know her family ,friends and fun characters in the town , especially the love interest  ( not sure about the uncle though)
A good plot ,puzzles to find , plenty of suspects ,a unexpected ending to keep you hooked .  If I could give it more than 5stars I would .
Highly recommend definitely will look out for the next book.
Many thanks to the publisher and Nettgalley
I received a review copy of Plotting Murder from Netgalley.

Sawyer Davis returns to her small Californian hometown after her mother’s death to find she not only inherited her mom’s bookshop but her mom also left a trail of clues and surprises for her.
When at a bookclub meeting, one of the members is found dead, Sawyer starts investigating a bit herself. And the sheriff is her attractive ex-boyfriend Dylan, which complicates the case even more.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I had been a bit in a reading slump lately but I couldn’t put Plotting Murder down. The characters are lovely, the romance is interesting and I loved Tamra Baumann’s style of writing. I will definitely be checking out her other books as well!
An entertains murder mystery and love story.  A cast of characters you can't help but love and lots of suspects to keep you guessing.  A great read for the beach!
This was a great mystery, awesome characters and one of the cutest dogs I've read about in awhile. I'll say upfront that I wasn't a fan of the present tense style and can't quite figure out why it was used, unless it was supposed to be like Sawyer looking back and writing her memoirs. But even then, it's kind of annoying, but honestly, I'm glad I didn't let it stop me from enjoying a great story. The riddle, clues and puzzle aspect really kept me intrigued.

Other than the constant present tense, it was well-written as far as vocabulary, and the dialogue was actually believable--and real-sounding. The author did a great job of painting the nasty uncle as a total snake, because I absolutely couldn't stand him--am I awful to wish he'd been offed? But then they'd have thought Sawyer did it lol. At first, I wasn't sure about Brittany, the store employee, but she grew on me more and more. I just love what good thing happened for her eventually! I liked the romance aspect a lot. It was just the right amount. At first I was one team, but by the end of the book I was ready to switch teams. I won't say, so I don't spoil it ;) The other supporting character of Madge was a lot of fun! I got such a kick out of how she and Sawyer would compare case notes, but Dylan the sheriff knew what they were doing all along. Renee, Sawyer's best friend was a hoot! She was a happy-go-lucky free spirit and dated a new guy almost every week

I can't leave out the sweet Admiral! Every mystery needs a fun and quirky character. The author nailed it with the Admiral. I hope he's around for a very long time! (Can I help it if I pictured him as the famous white-haired star of the old Diagnosis Murder series?) ;) As far as the killer, I was going back and forth on that one, so it was a little bit of a surprise. But it led to an awesome showdown where little Cooper the mini Goldendoodle got to be a hero, and his mommy wasn't too shabby either! The sheriff showed up just as my nerves were giving out lol. I thought the ending was satisfying as far as the main mystery, but it was kind of fun to leave a couple of little threads dangling. I'm definitely enticed to read the next book!
Thank you to the author, Tamra Baumann, and the publisher for providing me with an ARC, through Netgalley, of "Plotting for Murder".

Sawyer, a chef, returns to her hometown of Sunset Cove, California, following the death of her eccentric matchmaking mother, Zoe, a local business owner of a mystery bookshop. Throw in a new puppy, a few attractive eligible men (including a former boyfriend), running a mystery bookshop (when she does not read mysteries), a magician father, a crumbling Victorian house, a greedy uncle who controls the family's trust fund, dreams of opening her own restaurant, what could go wrong?

In the beginning of the book, a book club meeting results in a death of one of its members, Sawyer and her former boyfriend, the local sheriff must race to find out who the killer is and what is the big mystery that Sawyer's mother wanted her to solve in order to realize her restaurant dreams.

Initially, I felt this book was all of the place with multiple situations going on at the same time. At times, I felt that these multiple situations were too much for a first book in a new cozy mystery series. However, Baumann did an excellent job of bringing all the storylines together for a solid ending.

I look forward to reading more books in this series.