A Perfect Lie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 May 2019

A very interesting, engrossing and page turning story. I could not predict where this tale would lead me and it was a great ride.
Judging by other reviews, some readers were really impressed by Hailey's brain/mind and the author's writing skills. Me? Not so much. I found Hailey's line of thought really tiring, actually exhausting. I tend to overthink matters and my mind is never fully at ease, but Hailey's thought process is what mine would be like on speed, or at least that's what I imagine. I have no personal experience with such drugs, but that is what I could imagine happening.

The story is not bad, although far stretched and similar to many movies that have been made. Hailey's dad wants to become president of the USA and will basically stop at nothing to get there. Hailey's life is more full of drama and people she does not know whether or not she can trust. Between all the drama and romance Hailey reconnects with her old passion of art and that reminded me of how much I used to love drawing. I think I should really make time for that again... so if nothing else, this book was an enjoyable read and a reminder that I should get back to drawing.
Received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a honest review. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Honestly I almost didn’t finish reading this... There is a lot of writing where nothing really happens. The idea was good but you could cut down on a lot of wording and still tell the same story. It was really slow the first 80% and then suddenly there story was all over the place. On the plus side it was a quick read
DNF at 20%. I don’t know, this one just didn’t make any sense to be. Both the plot and the characters seemed scattered and I just didn’t care. Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to try this book. It just wasn’t for me.
A Perfect Lie was so good and a page turner. I didn’t want to put it down. It kept me guessing the whole time which I love.  Hailey has a drinking problem but when she does drink she blacks out and doesn’t remember a thing. But every time bad things end up happening. Which she can’t figure out why and what’s going on. But she is determined to figure out what Happened to her friend. But will she ever figure it out?  Who can she trust?  Book given to me by author on netgalley.
I was so excited to receive A Perfect Lie and for good reason! I absolutely loved this book! It kept me intrigued from the very beginning and had a very satisfying ending but left you still thinking about the characters.
A Perfect Lie is a stand-alone suspense novel by Lisa Renee Jones. Most of LRJ's books have suspense, but the main genre is romance, whilst in this book the romance is not even a secondary genre. Which explains why we got a barely baked romance story that was supposed to make sense. I think that was my biggest disappointment in the book and the reason why I decided to go with the 2 stars instead of the 3 I originally thought of giving.

Each chapter is divided into two parts. The first part is like a diary where Hailey practically comments on the past and the second part is what happened in the past as she saw things back then. This set up didn't work for me though. For me, the story was dragging and nothing interesting was happening, to a point where when I was around chapter 23 I was wondering if Hailey was ever going to do something about finding the truth. I felt like a lot of stuff were added, but weren't needed.

Overall, I was not happy with the suspense nor the tiny bit of romance the book had. When the main character is in a relationship with another person and kisses them, you can say that it had romantic elements, right? The ending was rushed. In my opinion, we could have gotten a more detailed description of the present and a better look at where Hailey and some other characters are. The final nail in the coffin was the nonexistent character development. I would not recommend the book.
*5 Stars*

Copy kindly received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book. A really good read and good characters. Shows a lot of typical politics and lots of secrets and lies within. I also really liked the way the book ended.

Would recommend.
Lisa Renee Jones gives us a thrilling, suspenseful, captivating read with A Perfect Lie!

I've only ever read romance by this author and only ever loved every story. I was so excited to dip into something new with her. She did not disappoint! I found myself consumed by Hailey's story and needing to know what happens next. My only wish is that it lasted longer. I felt that the ending was wrapped up a little too quickly and wish I could have had more depth.

Still, I hope she will write more stories like this one!
This book was amazing. It had me from the beginning and wanting more. This had your mind thinking on who did what and what happened. Definitely a twist. I couldn't get enough of it, I had to know what happened next. I highly recommend reading this book. Hailey is very smart and just knows this doesn't feel right. Her father on the other hand, he is mean, conniving, and makes her out to be a bad daughter. It was hard to decipher on who was on her side and who was on her father side. I loved trying to figure it out because I didn't know who was until the end. Absolutely loved this book.
Wow.  My heart aches to think that children are really raised like Haley Monroe.  I'm sure they are which makes this story even more believable.  The poor woman, and more importantly the girl she was, has never known anyone with no ulterior motives.  Everyone wants something from her and her high-power politician father.

Logan is no naive outsider.  His life hasn't been the nightmare Haley's has but he's seen much of the same world she has.  We spend much of the book not really sure what Logan wants and if he's only what he seems.  He's swoon-worthy.  A strong, sexy, incredibly smart man who's just what Haley my need.

Everyone is this story is suspect until the very end.  There are red herrings to keep the reader guessing, shocking twists, and some much-deserved comeuppance for many.

Jones always creates complex, not necessarily likable, characters, great suspense, and hot relationships.  A Perfect Lie is intense, dark and a real page-turner.  As I read it, I remembered Jones's penchant for writing cliff-hangers and I worried I was going to be left with waiting for the rest of the story.  I'm glad to see that wasn't the case and in fact Haley and Logan get their happily ever after..
Omg..what a ride. Lisa has a way with words that captures you into the story. Definitely didn't expect what happened. I loved the way the story was told, as if it was written for you. This book was amazing. Besides the story, Logan and Jake, were my favorites. Definitely worth the read.

Thank you Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Lisa Renee Jones is a talentes author. She has her own way in thrillers. I really enjoy her writing style. I even find theillers to be her real ralent rarhee than romance.
This thriller has a powerful start . It grabs your interest right from the start as you follow Hailey Ann Monroe, the daughter of presidency canditade Frank Monroe. Hailey struggles to be herself against the strong grip of her father. Everthing is there to support him as a future president. Hailey feels so alone with the murder of her best friend and her partially lost memory of the night of this murder. Her father's interference and keeping Hailey in the dark doesnt help to ease things for her.
This could have been a five star review if not for the "know it all" tone of the female character that got on my nerves by the end of the book. Nonetheless, it was a very interesting read that kept me hooked till the end. However, the ending was not to my liking.
Poor Hailey, what a life. This is a nice thriller, I really enjoyed it.
Thank you Netgalley for this copy.
Great book - kept me compulsively turning pages until the very end.  I loved the commentary at the beginning of every chapter that looked back and talked about what could've changed with different decisions, as that's something we humans do constantly, but I also liked the running undercurrent that everything is going to happen the same way, regardless of our choices.  The only downside was what seemed like a rushed ending.
Lisa Renee Jones always knows how to keep your mind on edge while reading her books. There is always a guessing game with yourself trying to see if you can figure out the plot before hand. Hailey Anne Monroe has to lead a somewhat perfect life to show the public because her father is running for president. But in private she   tends to blackout when she drinks and it seems something tragic happens every time.
The story is told through different times in Hailey's life: past and present.
4.5 stars--A PERFECT LIE is a contemporary, adult, stand alone, psychological suspense thriller focusing on twenty-eight year old Hailey Anne Monroe, the daughter of Thomas Frank Monroe, the candidate for the US presidency.

Told from first and second person perspectives (Hailey) using present day and memories from the past A PERFECT LIE is a story of greed, power, and secrets of the political elite. Years earlier Hailey lost her mother to a motor vehicle accident and in the ensuing time Hailey has been relegated to persona non grata in the world of her father Thomas Frank Monroe. With her father’s run for president of the United States in full swing, scandal follows our story line heroine, scandal that leads directly back to the presidential candidate. Forced into exile during her father’s campaign, Hailey Anne Monroe discovers that nothing in her world is under her control. Unable to trust anyone in her life, Hailey must follow her heart as she battles not only her father but demons from the past.

A PERFECT LIE is a suspense filled and timely story of controversy, politics, secrets and lies; of power and class; of conflict and deceit; disquietude and doubt;  of family, friendship, and betrayal. Lisa Renee Jones pens an incredible and relevant story of the political machine.

Copy supplied by Netgalley

THE READING CAFE: http://www.thereadingcafe.com/a-perfect-lie-by-lisa-renee-jones-review-excerpt-tour/

GOODREADS: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2738129167

AMAZON. COM: https://www.amazon.com/review/R2VDP7A7P6WTDV/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07H8YBNH6

BOOKBUB: https://www.bookbub.com/reviews/1225510177

B&N (Sandy_thereadingcafe) posted

CHAPTERS/INDIGO (Sandy_At_The_Reading_Cafe) posted

iBooks (Sandy Sch) posted
Lisa Renee Jones does it again!

This book is fantastic.  I loved the story and the characters.

This is one I will be reading again in the future for sure.
3 1/2 stars for A Perfect Lie.  I'm having a really hard time putting my thoughts in order after reading this book.  Psychological thrillers are not my normal go to but I have enjoyed this author in the past so I gave it a chance.  But I really had a hard time with the back and forth jumping from past to present and back again, it got very confusing at times.  It took a long time to get used to the flipping back and forth and start to get into a reading flow.  I don't like it when I don't love a book and unfortunately this one didn't do it for me.  It will not hinder my reading of other books by this author, just limit to less thrillers.  I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance copy, all opinions expressed are my own.
By far out of all the suspense/romance novels of Ms Jones this one was the most on the edge of your seat read to date. The sheer complexity and psychological story is by far the best one I have read. This story takes you on an emotional roller coaster as seen through the eyes of Hailey Anne Monroe the main character in this book. Hailey is a woman who if her father wins the presidential election will be the first daughter. She takes us on a journey of what has happened in her life to this point and how her father has groomed her to be the perfect daughter. Making sure that a tragic event has been kept secret. The lies and secrets that unfold will have you questioning what at times is real and what part the people in Halley's life play in it. Destiny, as Hailey sees it, may not always play a part in it. The way she seems to see it everything occurs based on the choices presented to us and what happens with them. This book had me from the very beginning. It is told in alternating points in time in Halley's life; past and present. Ms Jones is a master of weaving a story together. This book will have you questioning what is really going on inside the minds of not only these character but people in general. Is what Hailey says happened in her story something that we all can in some way relate to? Is destiny predetermined or is it an effect of the choices we are given? This story is definitely thought provoking as well as a wonderfully written and entertaining book.