A Perfect Lie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 May 2019

By far out of all the suspense/romance novels of Ms Jones this one was the most on the edge of your seat read to date. The sheer complexity and psychological story is by far the best one I have read. This story takes you on an emotional roller coaster as seen through the eyes of Hailey Anne Monroe the main character in this book. Hailey is a woman who if her father wins the presidential election will be the first daughter. She takes us on a journey of what has happened in her life to this point and how her father has groomed her to be the perfect daughter. Making sure that a tragic event has been kept secret. The lies and secrets that unfold will have you questioning what at times is real and what part the people in Halley's life play in it. Destiny, as Hailey sees it, may not always play a part in it. The way she seems to see it everything occurs based on the choices presented to us and what happens with them. This book had me from the very beginning. It is told in alternating points in time in Halley's life; past and present. Ms Jones is a master of weaving a story together. This book will have you questioning what is really going on inside the minds of not only these character but people in general. Is what Hailey says happened in her story something that we all can in some way relate to? Is destiny predetermined or is it an effect of the choices we are given? This story is definitely thought provoking as well as a wonderfully written and entertaining book.
*4.5 Stars*

I really enjoyed this thriller. The lies, secrets, greed, power, and twists were just what I was looking for in this story! I used to read a lot of thrillers but not many could hold my attention. This one grabbed me and wouldn’t let go until I knew what happened.

Hailey, the daughter of Presidential Candidate, Thomas Frank Monroe, hasn’t had an easy life. When tragedy strikes them both, Thomas pushes Hailey away putting a dire strain on their father/daughter relationship. When something really bad happens, her father tries to sweep it under the rug while Hailey can’t remember anything due to suffering from blackouts. There are many twists and turns as Hailey tries to put all the pieces together.

This story is told in almost a diary like style. Hailey narrates the present storyline with her own personal thoughts. This was so unique and I loved it! It was a unique way to add flashbacks as a layer of backstory to the plot.

The only thing that kept me from giving this story a full five stars was the fact that a few plot points that were left open that I thought could have been wrapped up without giving anything away.

I’m looking forward to more thrillers by this author! The pacing, storytelling, and characters were so perfect in this book.

Grateful to have received a complimentary ARC copy to honestly review.
I'm sorry to say I won't be reviewing this. It has been years since I've read Ms. Jones and I forgot that he books consist of Instalove; which is very rarely my cup of tea,  Having just finished His Demand I realized that Ms. Jones and I just don't mesh very well together. I had to give that book a low rating and I would hate to have to give this book and another I requested the same rating, due to my not liking the trope. It wouldn't be very fair to the author.

Thank you for the opportunity, though. I won't be requesting Ms. Jone's books in the future.
You’re in for a wild ride if you’ve picked this title! At this point, you may be a LRJ fan because you love her dark twisty romance or you love her romantic suspense (a la Murder Notes). This is something slightly different from both, but equally well done.

Buckle up for this political thriller...  Prepare yourself to try to solve the puzzle  that Hailey’s life has become.

I received an ARC copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
A twisting mind turner to keep you guessing and clicking puzzle pieces together all the way to the last page!
I have read a couple of Lisa Renee Jones's novels in the past and found they weren't for me as I don't find romantic suspense particularly appealing. However, this, her first foray into full thriller territory was much more enjoyable and was a surprisingly compulsive read. That said, there is some romance but the main bulk of the plot is suspense-based. The writing engages you pretty much straight away and it's fast-paced and immersive with more than a few twists in the tale along the way. I must admit, I was captivated by the exciting plot and interesting characters and the quality of the writing as it drew you in.

The synopsis is what initially attracted me to the novel; it's definitely one of the best I have seen for a thriller in a long time. It incorporates the psychological debate regarding nature vs. nurture into the plot making it more intriguing than the run of the mill crime fiction. It also, most likely unintentionally, touches on philosophical principles such as free will and the illusion of choice. This is a thought-provoking, compulsive and intelligent page-turner. I will be looking out for more from Jones and wouldn't be averse to reading another of her thrillers. Many thanks to Julie Patra Publishing for an ARC.
Amazing story that will blow you away.  It's a departure from what I'm use to from this author but it's a book you don't want to miss.  When warped family dynamics and politics are mixed together it makes navigating life challenging.  That's the life Hailey Anne Monroe faces everyday.  Her story will break your heart and keep you guessing as the past unfolds and collides with the present.  I couldn't and didn't want to put this down.  I just had to know what happened.  The author did an amazing job of weaving a tale full of suspense that will grab your attention and keep you on the edge as you put the pieces together.  Put this one on the top of the TBR pile.
This was a good book, full of surprises, don't get me wrong, but it was cloaked in so much smoke and mirrors that I felt a bit deadened to it. The lead up oversold the actual story and I was a bit disappointed. I don't know that we ever got to know Hailey and I felt the telling of her story was a bit disjointed, perhaps due to the bouncing back and forth in time. And while the current situation around her seemed very plausible, her reaction to it did not. When it comes down to it, this book felt like the redacted version of the story. Some parts were just never followed up on and pieces that might have made the story flow better for me where left out.
Wow!  I was a bit frustrated with the pace of the story, mostly monologues, but then it picked up fast.  Hailey is from a political family which means she trusts no one.  She has episodes of blacking out conveniently around a life changing event, was she drugged or something else?  She has men in her life that have you questioning their trustworthiness.  It's a terrible and lonely world to be in politics, this story proves just that.  My copy was given through Netgalley.
I live and breathe books, but TV and movies are the images I can work with best. A little bit House of Cards and a little bit 24. It even feels like a frightening bit of Dollhouse mixed in to deeply terrorize the reader. I don’t even know how to write about my experience with this book without getting into spoiler territory. It’s a twisty political thriller that probably cuts too close to the truth for any of us to be truly comfortable with.
I received a complimentary advanced copy of this book through NetGalley.
Hailey Monroe has the seemingly perfect life with money, social status, a handsome boyfriend. Her father is destined to be the next President of the United States. She, to be the next first daughter, but things are not always as they seem, especially in the world of politics where lies are a dime a dozen and you don't know who you can trust. A mind boggling story of lies, deception, cheating and treachery. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book with all the deception and who-done-its. I highly recommend this book.
A Perfect Lie is a political thriller with lots of intrigue, twists and turns. I enjoyed the first persona narration and getting inside protagonist Hailey's head. I found the constant time shifts a bit confusing and took away from the plot development and I found some of the relationship transitions and the ending to be very abrupt. Ultimately, there is plenty of suspense, drama, secrets, lies and betraysals to keep you reading until the end.
***4 Stars***

I don’t typically read straight mystery/suspense novels, normally they fall under the romantic suspense umbrella, but the cover (the one on NG) and the blurb ~ the way it fucked with my mind (which was kind of cool considering it was just the blurb) peaked my interest and I have to say that this read totally did my mind in (in the best of ways, of course) and left me in that weird and wonderful realm of being satisfied and yet still questioning what was truth and what was the lie.

Hailey absolutely fascinated me. She was the lie and yet she was the truth as well of everything that was going on around her and happening to her. I enjoyed the fact that we got to be in her mind and see how she saw things without actually knowing her. Yes, things unravel, but there were still questions, the doubt, the concerns about her that had me wondering right up to the very end just how involved she truly was in all that went down.

This is my first read by the author, and what a read it was. It’s not a short read by any means, but it was a fascinating one with all the twists and turns and how the story was laid out with flashbacks and present day flip flopping going on. It’s filled with characters that are all suspect in one way or another (well, maybe with one or two exceptions), Hailey included, but they definitely brought depth to a story built on deception, manipulation, power and greed. So, if you’re looking for a good mystery/suspense then give this one a go!
Buckle in for a twisty and suspenseful political thriller! This book was incredibly engaging and impossible to stop reading. Wow!
When is a lie, really a lie if it's coated in half truths?  Haley has been groomed her whole life to be picture perfect first daughter material. Her father will not lose and will do anything to ensure he has the presidential nomination and the win, but is he capable of murder?  At what point do you say enough is enough and you start to take matters into your own hands?

Lisa Renee Jones is my quick fix perfect read author.  If I'm in a slump she can get me out of it hands down every time.  If I would have had the time, I could have seen myself finishing this in one sitting.
Good lord, this author knows how to write a mystery!  This story is filled with twists and turns that keeps the reader fully engaged until the very last word, I absolute loved it!  Hailey is the future Presidents daughter, but her life is nothing short of tragedy everywhere she turns.  You get lost in this story of betrayal, friendships full of mystery, and not knowing who to trust and who’s the enemy.  I found myself actually talking to myself during some pretty intense scenes, it’s just that good. If you loved The Secret Life of Amy Bentsen and Lilah Love in the Murder Notes series, then you’re going to love this book.  Definitely adding this one to my bookshelf!

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC copy of this book.
A thrilling page turner that had you just as confused and paranoid as Hailey, the main character, as her world is turned into a tumultuous rollercoaster of What? Who? Why? Secrets and more secrets set the stage for her narrative of past and present that will leave you feeling confused, on the edge of your seat, nail biting and desperately trying to finish as quickly as possible to truly see what it is this troubled young woman is trying to tell us with her cryptic poses and subtle nudges about what is really going on in her life. Definitely a must read suspense story that will leave you guessing until the end.
I have just finished reading this book - the third I have read by LRJ - an author who was new to me until very recently. This book did not disappoint! I find her writing style engaging and unusual and as with the the previous two books, I was unable to put it down.

The protagonist is the daughter of an ambitious politician with his eye on the presidency. Her whole life has been shaped by his ambition and her need for his approval. However things start to unravel when she loses her best friend and starts to question the very basis of her life.

While there are some inconsistencies in the plot and occasionally I felt it was just a little too unrealistic, overall I loved the book, the hero and her journey.

Well worth reading!
3.5 Stars
Hailey Anne Monroe has been trained to present a facade to the world. As such, hardly anyone knows her. She thinks her best friend, Danielle, knows her, but even she has a few secrets. Her boyfriend, Tobey, hardly knows the real Hailey, and she’s good with that. Problems seem to occur each time Hailey has even a little bit of alcohol. She has trouble remembering things she says and does on the rare occasions that she drinks. This leads to some complications.

The tension in this book is intensely palpable. It is present from the start, and rarely lets up. One mark of a good writer is the way they pull you into the heart of the story and keep you there. That is what happens here, as the pacing and tension are top-notch.  However, the story seems disjointed in places, and doesn’t flow as smoothly as usual for this author. The timeline jumps around quite a bit, even within chapters. Nevertheless, the reader gets pulled into the story and has to figure out what really happens. The ending is mostly satisfying, with one question remaining unanswered: why the final blackout???

This is a new foray for this author, and this first effort into the suspense genre is slightly below expectations in a couple of areas, yet in several other areas, Lisa Renee Jones is at the top of her game.

I was given a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This was a twisty thriller that I really enjoyed! The reader is exposed to the secret thoughts like a personal diary, but in order to piece together the pieces. The timeline alternates between the present and the past. Its interesting because the novel is so well written that when your reading the passages from the past you feel like your in the present time, but not in a confusing way, just in a brilliantly written way.

The main character has a bit of memory loss and you are literally piecing together the pieces along with the protagonist.

This book is brilliant and you will be flipping pages till its shocking end.