The Girl the Sea Gave Back

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Sep 2019

Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young is one of my all-time favorite books. The Girl the Sea Gave back is marketed as a companion novel, but it feels more like a sequel. There are quite a few references to the events of Sky in the Deep and many of the same characters, and I think the details of the story and world might be confusing if the reader hasn't yet read Sky in the Deep. That being said, I enjoyed the character-driven plot of this novel and the magic system. Adrienne Young never disappoints!
I hate to say that I was not a fan of this book.  Especially after loving Sky in the Deep.  I wanted and expected a story about Halvard, and instead I got a story about instalove and Halvard was incredibly dull.  It was disappointing to say the least.
I loved SKY IN THE DEEP last year - Adrienne Young's beautiful prose and brilliant characters grabbed me hook, line and sinker. It was a no-brainer that I wanted - no, NEEDED - to read THE GIRL THE SEA GAVE BACK this year.

First off, just take a look at that cover. Isn't it beautiful?!!?!?!?!?! (Yes. Yes, it's stunning.)

Okay, now, the book itself was phenomenal. The MC, Tova, is so strong and intriguing, and her story is wonderful to follow. I loved the references, mentions and appearances of SKY IN THE DEEP characters, too - having the two stories set in the same world really accentuated this novel! The ending was also perfection - it couldn't have ended any other way; I was incredibly satisfied!

This story is wickedly clever, fast-paced and FUN, and the sea-related elements are just too incredible (think: pirate-vikings and magic/divination and just all-around beautiful water imagery prose!!!!!).

Reading SKY IN THE DEEP will definitely add to your reading experience of THE GIRL THE SEA GAVE BACK (mainly 1. To give you a taste of the world & the characters, and 2. To give you that little burst of happiness anytime an easter-egg character appearance occurs!), but regardless, THE GIRL THE SEA GAVE BACK is definitely a great read nonetheless!
I really loved the setting and can feel the authors love for it, it found the characters really likeable and just overall found this book a fun read
After reading Sky in the Deep last year, I knew I needed The Girl the Sea Gave Back. I am pleased to say that this stunning cover does not disappoint in the least. This book follows the journeys of Tova and Halvard. Tova came to her clan, delivered by the waves of the sea in a basket. Mysteriously alive. Utterly alone. Tova can decipher the stones of her clan and read the future. Needless to say, what she finds isn’t good and sets her path toward Halvard and his clan.

I loved how the book balanced the action with a very atmospheric viking-style setting. Now, if you’re worried that you have to read Sky in the Deep first, don’t. While I would suggest it, you by no means have to and can enjoy this book all on its own. The reason I would suggest it however is because I found it helped me keep track of the cast of characters in this book. There are a lot of characters to remember and I’d be lying if I said I was successful.

Personally, I definitely missed having a little slow burn romance going throughout the entire book, but that’s just me. If you’re not really into that sort of thing then this is right up your alley. I did particularly enjoy how Young added to the lore of her world without going overboard in the short amount of time the book took place in.

The ending will have you on the edge of your seat, unwilling to pull away for a second. I loved seeing how everything came together, and how Young didn’t just reuse the same type of ending from Sky in the Deep with this one. The ending was fitting and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
The Girl the Sea Gave Back by Adrienne Young is a wonderful YA fantasy novel.  Beautifully written with a strong heroine and unique plot.  The world building his amazing and Ms. Young just pulls you in to her story.
I ended up not being able to finish this book despite it being a super interesting concept. The characters just fell a little flat and I did not feel the plot was going anywhere.
I received a copy from the publisher via Netgalley for an honest review.

And then I won a copy in the giveaways on Goodreads!

This novel takes place ten years after the previous novel ended and although we do see glimpses of some of the other characters we knew, we are mostly focused on Tova who is called a Truthtongue because she can read the ruins and see into the future...to a point. I do love that Tova very much says that this is what she sees, but who knows what the Fates/Spinners are going to let happen! This novel focus on warring clans again and what she sees in the ruins could either bring them together or destroy everyone.

This novel was harder to get into because it has been awhile since I read the previous novel and this is absolutely one of those books that should have a "Previously on..." chapter with a synopsis of the whole first book to remind me! This novel was a fast past, battle filled novel from the beginning and while that was quite awesome visually, it made it really hard to really get to know the characters and really form a bond with them. The relationship for me as a reader to the characters was very surface, I just did not get to know them as well as the first novel and it was rather disappointing in that aspect. Quite enjoyable and I love the bad ass Vikings!!
Extremely underrated young adult novel! The Girl the Sea Gave Back is much better than the extremely overhyped Sky In the Deep. I'm not sure how this flew so under the radar, but it deserves more attention and will definitely be enjoyed by ya fantasy fans.
I was provided an e-arc from netgalley to read and review

I unfortunately missed the opportunity to read
This was such a breath of fresh air. I devoured the novel in 2 sittings, which is unusual for me, as I usually put the books down and pick up other ones. I was invested in the characters, especially Tova, who instantly stole my heart. Her band of misfits, her formed family, and the journey she traveled was endearing, fast paced and all consuming. I highly recommend this novel - even if you did not enjoy Sky in The Deep!
Apparently, this is a second in a series, which I did not know until I went to check a good ways in, so there may be some worldbuilding that I missed in the first book. However, the world building was fairly flat, and I wished there was more for this book. There was never any real explanation for why the Svell hated the Kyrr but the other clans did not. There also needed to be more behind the individual clans history and how fate/religion worked. After that, this was a pretty standard YA fantasy with insta-love and a very passive heroine until 75% of the way through the book. That is the problem when everything is blamed on destiny. There is no responsibility really for massive mistakes made and everyone feels rather passive. Also, not buying the romance at all so the ending just felt flat. Otherwise a very fast read and thanks to NetGalley for a copy in exchange for an honest review.
I did not get around to reading this because of other things that happened in my personal life, I do plan on purchasing and reading this sometime in the future, I'm not sure exactly when yet. When I do get around to purchasing and reading I will be posting my review on my blog The Tea Reader and my Goodreads pages, and linking it on my other social media.
This was a cool read.  The Viking like setting was fascinating.  I hadn't realized that this was a companion novel but I did not feel that I was lost jumping into this.   Tova was a really interesting character and I would love to see more of her story.  I do plan to go and read the first one now.
The Girl the Sea Gave Back is the second book in Adrienne Young's Series. I absolutely loved Sky in the Deep, so I knew I needed to read this one. Harvard is the protagonist in this one! I absolutely loved Harvard in the last book, so I was glad he was the main character in this one. Tova and Harvard had great chemistry and an amazing relationship throughout the book. My only issues were that I did not seem to care as much about these characters as I did in the first book.
I enjoyed the book and the main character-so much so that I actually bought a physical copy of the book. I did not realize that this is a sequel of sorts-or takes place in the same realm as a previous book-before I started reading. That being said, I felt like there needed to be more world building, but I assume that most of that took place in the first book. However, besides from that I feel like this is a standalone book, since I wasn't lost in the storytelling. The author's writing style is beautiful. I really enjoyed the book and plan on going back and reading the first.
I DNF’d the author’s first book and sadly lost interest in her sophomore novel. Writing was good, but I was so bored throughout.

It was definitely nice to return to the world I was introduced to in Sky in the Deep, but as a companion/sequel, this one didn’t quite live up to the first book. Yes, this is supposed to be written in a way that you can read it even if you didn’t read the other book, and that is true and valid. My issue is that if you don’t know the world-building from the first book, then this book has very little to offer you in regards to expanding or fleshing out the world. You just have to accept having the bare minimum with this story.

Tova was an interesting character as well, with an intriguing skill set. Yes, she was a much different protagonist than the previous book. Tova is not a warrior at all, though she is still important and powerful in her own right.

The really nice surprise for this book is that it also follows Halvard, who was basically a child in the first book, but he’s certainly more grown in this one.

Also on the positive side for this book is the fact that the writing is still lush and beautiful, and it flows nicely. I enjoyed my time reading this book.

Unfortunately aside from wanting better fleshing out of the world, I also wanted a bit more on the different basically viking clans, and I definitely wanted more of a romantic relationship between Tova and Halvard, because while it was there, it wasn’t exactly strong enough for me.

I did like that we got to check in on Eelyn and Fisk and Iri from the first book, because this does take place ten years later.

Still, I’m glad that I read this book. I look forward to reading both Sky in the Deep and The Girl the Sea Gave Back together at some point in the future.
Given how much I ADORED Sky in the Deep and the themes it so beautifully brought to light, I was more than a little disappointed to finish this book and realize that if fell flat for me. It was still a quick read and Adrienne Young has a beautiful writing style, but I found myself unable to connect or relate to either main character. I lost interest in the plot a couple of times when the story seemed to lag, and I was disappointed in the insta-love ending. Given how fully fleshed out Young's debut novel was, in my opinion, I had high expectations that were just a bit let down. I will still read books from this author as I am intrigued by her take on folklore and the diverse culture she includes in her stories, but this was not a favorite of mine.
I wanted to love this book so bad! (I mean, look at that cover!) But something fell short for me in The Girl the Sea Gave Back.

I found the book to be a really quick, easy read - as with Sky in the Deep I truly appreciated the focus on family and protecting everything they hold close to their hearts. The way in which the author writes the entire book was clean, and I mean - this book should set the standards for what YA books should be.

However, I felt as though the story lacked a bit of character development in certain areas, for example, side characters who were interesting to me - and I wanted to know more about them, but there was no history to them. The plot also missed the mark for me, I knew what the author was trying to do with the plot, but somehow it felt rushed and lacked a certain element of depth that ticks all my boxes.

That being said, I adored Sky in the Deep! And I'm so excited to see what Ms Young comes up with next.